HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Speculation: Mike Komisarek, bounce back year? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1228773)

Crash Test Domi* 07-11-2012 02:18 PM

Mike Komisarek, bounce back year?

I really think and hope Komisarek is going to bounce back this year. First year with Leafs had a major injury, second year or third year with Leafs was accused of hitting a girl and was just completely lost under Wilson.

He was #1 shutdown guy in Montreal, then came to the circus that is Toronto and flopped miserably, for whatever reasons.

I think playing systems under Carlysle will get him back to his old form, because that run-n-gun style of Wilson he was like a chicken with no head.

Anyone else rooting for him to succeed this time? Because if you saw him Montreal, you know what his potential is. He's always been a team first guy, hence his beatings from Lucic.

490 nm 07-11-2012 02:20 PM

I think he will player better this year

Liminality 07-11-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash Test Domi (Post 52428245)
I really think and hope Komisarek is going to bounce back this year. First year with Leafs had a major injury, second year or third year with Leafs was accused of hitting a girl and was just completely lost under Wilson.

He was #1 shutdown guy in Montreal, then came to the circus that is Toronto and flopped miserably, for whatever reasons.

I think playing systems under Carlysle will get him back to his old form, because that run-n-gun style of Wilson he was like a chicken with no head.

Anyone else rooting for him to succeed this time? Because if you saw him Montreal, you know what his potential is. He's always been a team first guy, hence his beatings from Lucic.

It's very possible with the coaching change. It's all on Komisarek to work with Barb on his skating and improve on doing his role.

I think when he tries to do too much he gets overwhelmed. He could prove to be a pretty good shutdown pair with Holzer if that's how the lines end up out of camp.

He's also only played 154 games in the last 3 years, hopefully he is less injured next year.

Count Von Grabo* 07-11-2012 02:23 PM

Don't see how he could do any worse.

hdtrax 07-11-2012 02:31 PM

With Schenn gone, and Holzer as our 7th, Komisarek is the only physically imposing defender we have - I don't count Phaneuf - makes too many dumb plays to be considered physically imposing and throwing one big hit every now and then doesn't make you a tough d-man to play against.

If you partner Mike with a mobile defender, which we have a lot of, then he may bounce back, particularly if Carlyle and Farrish allow him to simplify his game.

I have a good feeling that he'll turn into a very serviceable player this year.

Delayed Offside 07-11-2012 02:36 PM

Hopefully he is working with the new skating coach and dropping some weight. Looked like he bulked up too much in the past.

Rinzler 07-11-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Don Draper (Post 52428787)
With Schenn gone, and Holzer as our 7th, Komisarek is the only physically imposing defender we have - I don't count Phaneuf - makes too many dumb plays to be considered physically imposing and throwing one big hit every now and then doesn't make you a tough d-man to play against.

If you partner Mike with a mobile defender, which we have a lot of, then he may bounce back, particularly if Carlyle and Farrish allow him to simplify his game.

I have a good feeling that he'll turn into a very serviceable player this year.

Sums up how I feel as well. I think Komi will have a much better year this year under Carlyle.

IranCondraAffair 07-11-2012 02:37 PM

He didn't fit well at all. A new coach is a good opportunity to turn things around though.

Kyle Doobas* 07-11-2012 02:39 PM

Heard this every off-season since he's been here, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Liminality 07-11-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Declinin (Post 52429143)
Heard this every off-season since he's been here, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Biggest difference is the new coach that works with a defensive system to cater to players like Komisarek and uses a line match up system where Komisarek will have a certain role.

FireEverybody* 07-11-2012 02:44 PM

Ahhhh "the yearly Mike Komisarek, bounce back year" thread.

Everlong 07-11-2012 02:44 PM

As long as he doesn't get adventurous in the offensive zone I think he'll have a good year. He also needs to learn that he should never, under no circumstances be shooting the puck. For some reason he thought he was rocket richard last year. Improve your skating Mike, rarely cross the offensive blueline and you should be fine.

number72 07-11-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireEverybody (Post 52429365)
Ahhhh "the yearly Mike Komisarek, bounce back year" thread.

I was thinking the same thing. And I expect Komisarek will be next years buy out candidate just as Armstrongs was this year.

So this will be the last year for his anchor boat salary. That said, that means we need to find a new "goat" for next year. This year my goat money is on Komisarek and Lombaridi. Next year - it could be Kulemin or Liles or Reimer.

zeke 07-11-2012 02:58 PM

Would be sad if we wasted another half season trying to salvage this guy. Play your best players, don't waste time with this guy.

Crispy Crust 07-11-2012 03:00 PM

I don't see it happening.

smitty10 07-11-2012 03:04 PM

Don't think so. We've been hoping for this since year 2 and it still hasn't happened.

He's just not a very good player.

Grant 07-11-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 490 nm (Post 52428311)
I think he will player better this year

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constant Gardiner (Post 52428451)
Don't see how he could do any worse.

This. Don't see how he could be worse, I'm not going to hold my breath though.

Swaggz 07-11-2012 03:09 PM

He can't get any worse but whatever improvements he makes, it still wont be enough to justify a massive contract like the one he has.

Hanta Yo 07-11-2012 03:12 PM

He's shown a lack of defensive IQ, something that is up to him really to improve. New system may slightly hide some of his deficiencies, but that's about it.

PasDaSquini 07-11-2012 03:20 PM

komi will be sitting in the press box for most of the season. So he cannot be worse than last season, so I guess you an call it a bounce back season.

AINEC 07-11-2012 03:20 PM

If he can't play better under Carlyle's system vs. Wilson's, all hope for him is lost.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever 07-11-2012 03:35 PM

I just hope that after a full season with Carlyle his game can improve.

Plus if I am not mistaking wasn't Komisarek a healthy scratch a few games before Wilson got fired and when Carlyle took over he played him a lot more? If so I guess that means he believes in him and what he can do.

Stephen 07-11-2012 03:39 PM

This thread belongs in the "Strangest Leaf Dreams" thread...

But seriously, maybe Komisarek does bounce back.

Mowerman 07-11-2012 03:41 PM

Playing in Carlyle's system will make him a much more effective player.

Suntouchable13 07-11-2012 03:43 PM

I have no faith in Komisarek. None. As a fan, I hope he proves me wrong for sure.