HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Speculation: Now that we have Crosby for life, what about Malkin? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1228819)

Jaded-Fan 07-11-2012 02:35 PM

Now that we have Crosby for life, what about Malkin?

Despite hearing over the years how we would never sign Crosby, who pined for Montreal, and certainly never for less than the max cap hit, Crosby left $50 million on the table to sign with the Pens for life.

What do you all think happens with Malkin on a couple of years? You know that we will hear the same things with Malkin, but ten times worse, especially going into next year. Thoughts?

MrBurgundy* 07-11-2012 02:37 PM

He signs for the same deal as Crosby if allowed by the CBA. If not he signs for more of a cap hit, but still signs nonetheless.

No way in hell he's going anywhere.

SCUDeriMISSILE 07-11-2012 02:38 PM

Higher cap-hit (between 8.7 and 9.5) but single-digit years > 5.

7 years, 63M, for instance.

DegenX 07-11-2012 02:41 PM

Too early to call this one due to the uncertainty with the upcoming CBA.

Which is why I voted for the Conan option ... he's ready to move on to bigger things than playing bullies in Russian movies :laugh:

I think he'll go for a deal as close to Sid's as the new CBA allows. Actually, I don't think that the new CBA is going to close the loophole that allowed for Sid's new deal, so I think they'll wind up being exactly the same ... just like last time.

Jaded-Fan 07-11-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DegenX (Post 52431851)
Too early to call this one due to the uncertainty with the upcoming CBA.

Which is why I voted for the Conan option ... he's ready to move on to bigger things than playing bullies in Russian movies :laugh:

I think he'll go for a deal as close to Sid's as the new CBA allows. Actually, I don't think that the new CBA is going to close the loophole that allowed for Sid's new deal, so I think they'll wind up being exactly the same ... just like last time.

By far my favorite option of all. Conan the Barbarian, the Musical. Starring Geno Malkin.

Ogrezilla 07-11-2012 02:45 PM

Depends on the new CBA. If he can sign exactly Sid's deal, I think he does. If there is a max length, he signs for that length for between 8.7 and 9.5M

Zbynek 07-11-2012 02:50 PM

The fans here in Pittsburgh are absolutely nuts about Malkin. To some degree, I would say that most Penguins fans even prefer him to Crosby. Pens fans also really adore Malkin's parents, who are essentially celebrities in this city. It's hard to imagine that Malkin would give that up; Pittsburgh is where he made his transition to the American lifestyle and the NHL.

He seems to really enjoy playing here, despite years of playing with wingers like Fedotenko and Talbot. He's a big presence in the locker room, and he's grown accustomed to this team. Now that Neal is locked up for the next 5 years, presumably on Geno's wing, Malkin's future is looking better than ever. He's coming off an MVP season, a season where he proved a lot of people that he can be that guy.

I see all the motivation/incentive he needs to follow Crosby's lead to sign around that 8.7mil cap hit. Personally, I could see him signing for something a little bit higher than that, because he likes to think of himself as the #1 guy here (Geno is the last one to come out of the tunnel, sorry Sid :laugh:). And Shero would obviously have no problem with that.

jmelm 07-11-2012 02:50 PM

What happens if we sign Semin to only a one year deal and he scores 93 goals?

Jaded-Fan 07-11-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmelm (Post 52432207)

What happens if I fart and several dozen of these things fly out of my rear?

:tinker: :tinker:

:tinker:

:tinker::tinker::tinker::tinker:

Blitzburgh87* 07-11-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan (Post 52432449)

:laugh:

spcastlemagic 07-11-2012 03:08 PM

Geno is the guy that thanks fans for rooting for the Steelers. He's not going anywhere.

TorstenFrings 07-11-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmelm (Post 52432207)

Then we should be happy we signed him and he did good?

Hockey Shmokey 07-11-2012 03:11 PM

I voted for the Conan option because if I was Mallkin I'd do the same tbh. :laugh:

Really though, this idea that some people have of Malkin not wanting to be in Crosby's shadow and eventually leaving the Pens is weird to me. He's never made any indication otherwise and every time he talks about Sid in interviews it's always full of really positive and really complimentary things (and yeah whatever they're teammates and he has to say that stuff but I think he genuinely means them). I mean, he has it pretty good in Pittsburgh I think. He gets a lot of love from the fans but he doesn't have to deal with all the media that Sid has to deal with. I just don't see any real reason he signs anywhere else to be honest.

I definitely see him signing the same deal as Sid if the new CBA allows it.

TorstenFrings 07-11-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zbynek (Post 52432189)
Geno is the last one to come out of the tunnel, sorry Sid :laugh:

Yep, he has always asserted himself very well with Sid. Not a person to get lost in anyone's shadow.

jmelm 07-11-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Well, by my count, that's 8 wingers for Crosby! :laugh:

Jaded-Fan 07-11-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmelm (Post 52433519)
Well, by my count, that's 8 wingers for Crosby! :laugh:

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/im...JGzuPChhDKkDDG

Everyone of them too soff.

Darth Vitale 07-11-2012 03:28 PM

Same as Crosby per year (or close to it ~ $1M difference if there is one) and as long a term as the NHL allows, which will be shorter than Crosby's deal. IOW I think Malkin's next deal will be up before Sid's even if it's "maximum term".

Darth Vitale 07-11-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Then I will feel sorrow knowing that small flying humans exist and yet must do so in your digestive tract. Seems like a cruel and harsh reality for them. Such an occurrence might prove there is no God. I mean imagine being born one day... finding out you can fly... but you have to live in someone's ass until their flatulence expels you. It's all wrong in the grand scheme of nature.

cassius 07-11-2012 03:35 PM

You heard it here first: Malkin is going to leave the game of hockey behind and pursue his lifelong dream of becoming a Russian adult film star.

JWells16 07-11-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassius (Post 52434319)
You heard it here first: Malkin is going to leave the game of hockey behind and pursue his lifelong dream of becoming a Russian adult film star.

Wouldn't blame him.

Harv 07-11-2012 03:53 PM

In all seriousness, there are alot of parallels between us and Detroit.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TwAbZhMGVE...an_Fedorov.jpg

http://fromthepoint.com/wp-content/u...sby-malkin.jpg

We all know how the first one ends..

MetalheadPenguinsFan 07-11-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

I'd say you need a new diet plan. :sarcasm:

MetalheadPenguinsFan 07-11-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassius (Post 52434319)

Well that would certainly give new meaning to the phrase "I'm Score." ;)

DegenX 07-11-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan (Post 52433663)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The Zetterberg Era 07-11-2012 03:59 PM

I really think Malkin is going to get a stupid offer from Russia. 10 years 200 million how does he turn that down? He has already accomplished and won every conceivable award in the NHL unless he wants to start playing defense. If he just want to continue playing in the NHL fine, but some oil tycoon over in Russia is at least going to put a major scare in the Pens fan-base in my opinion, unless he signs before he even talks to them.

He probably won't be able to sign a super long-term deal because of the new CBA probably stopping those by limiting maybe I don't know a max of 7 years. I hope he stays, I don't want to see an elite talent like him leave even if Detroit fans and Pittsburgh fans don't get along the best. I say it whenever Crosby is hurt and the same applies to Malkin. The NHL is a better place and product with him in it and I hope to see him for several more years despite what that might mean for everyone elses chances at the Stanley Cup.