HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Arizona Coyotes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Coyotes sign Nick Johnson to a 1 year-2 way deal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1229169)

Colt45Blast 07-12-2012 12:35 AM

Coyotes sign Nick Johnson to a 1 year-2 way deal

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=1358

per capgeek.com

1 year 2-way deal worth $725,000

There is also a sticky thread up in the main board.

rt 07-12-2012 12:47 AM

Former minor league teammate of Paul Bissonnette. Came up with that group that really seemed to benefit from Bylsma. I guess he will be useful for filling in on that 4th line RW spot when David Moss suffers his inevitable injury. Ifthisisa one waysigning,it probably rules out ourbringing back Gilbert Brule, which bums me out. I feel like Brule was born to play in an anonymous small market with an incredibly structured coach like Tippett. I think we are overreacting a little bit to getting run over physically by the Kings. Everyone got runoverbythe Kings in the playoffs. Johnson certainly adds more size than Brule, but I feel like Brule would ultimately be the more effective ofthe two.Atleast for a team like Phoenix, who are starved for offense.

EDIT: nevermind, its a twoway. Good deal. Nice signing.

Colt45Blast 07-12-2012 12:54 AM

It was confirmed as a 2 way signing on the main board as well.

rt 07-12-2012 02:29 PM

Fun fact; Johnson's 26pts as a rookie last season slots him right up with Langkow (30pts last year), Torres (26pts last season), Boedker (24pts last year), Gordon (23pts), and Pyatt (19pts).

6'2'', 210lb hard worker who will drop the mitts now and again. This guy has a very good chance of stealing a spot, I'd say.

David Moss had a late start in the NHL after deciding to graduate from Michigan. He's a .39ppg in the NHL. Johnson had a late start after deciding to graduate Dartmouth. He's got a .36ppg in the NHL, so far.

Pretty impressive resume for an ivy league athlete as well...
http://m.dartmouthsports.com/mobile/...B_OEM_ID=11600

http://m.dartmouthsports.com/mobile/...B_OEM_ID=11600

PhoPhan 07-12-2012 02:35 PM

I'd like to bring back Brule and platoon the two of them depending on the opponent. Both bring something good to the bottom six.

rt 07-12-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoPhan (Post 52472177)
I'd like to bring back Brule and platoon the two of them depending on the opponent. Both bring something good to the bottom six.

Yep. If anything, I'd almost rather give up Torres and Bissonnette and roll with...

Sullivan-Hanzal-Vrbata
Doan(please god)-Vermette-Boedker
Korpikoski-New Center-xxxxxx
Xxxxxxxx-Gordon-xxxxxxxx
Xxxxxxxx

The four "xxxs" being some combo of Chipchura, Brule, Moss, and Johnson.

drgregg 07-12-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 52472909)
Yep. If anything, I'd almost rather give up Torres and Bissonnette and roll with...

Sullivan-Hanzal-Vrbata
Doan(please god)-Vermette-Boedker
Korpikoski-New Center-xxxxxx
Xxxxxxxx-Gordon-xxxxxxxx
Xxxxxxxx

The four "xxxs" being some combo of Chipchura, Brule, Moss, and Johnson.

Giving up Bissonnette I am more than fine with, Torres I still want to wait and see what happens after his return. How will he play and how will he be treated by the league/officials. If he is neutered, he is useless and we can take what we can get for him; if things return to status quo he is still a valuable player for us.
Still curious who New Center will turn out to be, would be okay with your Lombardi suggestion, but I'm still hopeful for someone more exciting.

AZviaNJ 07-12-2012 02:59 PM

Obvious the Yotes needed forward depth/size and GMDM has gone out and signed Moss, Johnson and Rechlicz the latter pair to low cost 2 way contracts while other GM's have signed marginal players to multi-year/million $$ deals.

Who is the best GM in the league?

drgregg 07-12-2012 03:00 PM

I don't know what to think of Johnson, but after rt's informative post, I am curious to see what type of player we have here. Those point totals from last year, Langkow et al, are shockingly bad no wonder other fans were so upset after having their teams lose to Phoenix.

rt 07-12-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZviaNJ (Post 52473231)
Obvious the Yotes needed forward depth/size and GMDM has gone out and signed Moss, Johnson and Rechlicz the latter pair to low cost 2 way contracts while other GM's have signed marginal players to multi-year/million $$ deals.

Who is the best GM in the league?

Martinook and Klinkhammer aren't exactly shrinking violets either.

Naych_PHX 07-12-2012 03:16 PM

I thought this guy was a defenseman. Hmm, he's a RW who shoots left? Guess he can play either side then, that's good. He's seemed to put solid numbers wherever he's gone. I like that he was a very plain jane name. DM should sign more of those types. Worked for Mike Smith.

drgregg 07-12-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 52473617)
Martinook and Klinkhammer aren't exactly shrinking violets either.

Looking forward to seeing what all of that extra beef looks like in the preseason. Giving this team an injection of big galoots with sand should be fun to watch.

DesertDawg 07-12-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naych_PHX (Post 52474063)
I thought this guy was a defenseman. Hmm, he's a RW who shoots left? Guess he can play either side then, that's good. He's seemed to put solid numbers wherever he's gone. I like that he was a very plain jane name. DM should sign more of those types. Worked for Mike Smith.

Shoots right!
Coyote are getting a lot of sand paper.

rt 07-12-2012 04:25 PM

Shoots L/R information is so frequently incorrect that I always defer to Google images. In game pictures don't lie. Johnson is a RHS.

Fel 96 07-12-2012 04:37 PM

That's a good signing. Wish him good luck.

Some highlights:

rt 01-27-2013 06:44 PM

Drew three minor penalties and forechecked hard. He deserved more ice time than the 7:45 he got.

amjay13 01-27-2013 08:38 PM

Ya I noticed him last night......had a nice game.

XX 01-27-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 58479495)
Drew three minor penalties and forechecked hard. He deserved more ice time than the 7:45 he got.

A good example of what a 4th line is there for. Klinkhammer plays a similar solid 2-way game. They both should have made the team out of camp. But Torres the clown counts as a roster spot, and so does our twitter bot. Not having set roles in the bottom 6 this year is killing this team.

amjay13 01-28-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XX (Post 58495617)
A good example of what a 4th line is there for. Klinkhammer plays a similar solid 2-way game. They both should have made the team out of camp. But Torres the clown counts as a roster spot, and so does our twitter bot. Not having set roles in the bottom 6 this year is killing this team.

I'd say more like Mike Smith's injury is killing this team but to each his own.

awfulwaffle 01-28-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amjay13 (Post 58559181)
I'd say more like Mike Smith's injury is killing this team but to each his own.

I'd go with really stupid turnovers.

Rabbit 01-29-2013 12:02 AM

Hope he stays as a fourth liner, reallllllly impressed with him.

AndrewYotes 01-29-2013 01:12 AM

He draws a lot of penalties :nod:

moosemeister 01-29-2013 01:18 AM

Johnson has earned his stay with this team. Hes looked great these past two games, and continues to impress. I hope he keeps playing meaningful minutes.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt 02-03-2013 12:34 AM

He's been really impressive. Another great pickup by the Yotes.

Redcoyote 02-03-2013 01:02 AM

I've liked what I've seen of him. He seems to always find his way to the front of the net too.