HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Other: Tomas Holmström (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1229203)

Tomas W 07-12-2012 04:00 AM

Tomas Holmström

http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...-intresserade/

Thomas Holmström is now an unregistred free agent, the interest from the Red Wings seems pretty cold, but judgeing from this article Homer still want to play, and his agent says he have been in contact with other NHL clubs. Any guesses which one that could use him? His pretty much a fourth liner with decent PP capability nowdays.

vippe 07-12-2012 04:25 AM

Pretty surprised by this. Really thought he was going to quit. I dont even think he's a fourth liner.. more like a 13th forward with PP duties in which he still pretty good at.

CF Punk 07-12-2012 05:19 AM

He will retire. Most everybody he played with during the Wings glory days are long gone and his best friend (Lidstrom) just retired. His body can't handle it anymore. He's done.

crashman 07-12-2012 05:23 AM

He'll only sign with another team if he get's a nice offer (overpayment). He's not going to uproot his family from Detroit for 1 more season at league minimum.

SoupNazi 07-12-2012 07:38 AM

He's going to retire. He said a while back that he wasn't playing elsewhere and I believe that.

loLZokAY 07-12-2012 07:44 AM

Holmstrom already said he wouldn't play for another club at the end of the season. Highly likely he retires, his best friend isnt there anymore and he's already had the experience of a winter classic.

Reikai 07-12-2012 07:46 AM

He should retire, seems like he doesnt have enough left in the tank to play in any effective role. Its time for Detroit to give their young guys roster spots.

Great person and nice career.

Sawyer 07-12-2012 08:01 AM

Montreal and Toronto are renowned for their ability to get players passed their prime and contribute in....a....uh...and play in the NHL

Petes2424 07-12-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 52457989)
Montreal and Toronto are renowned for their ability to get players passed their prime and contribute in....a....uh...and play in the NHL

This is to funny. I could actually see Bergevin sign him. Pretty sure they actually played together.

BrimFullofAsham45 07-12-2012 08:56 AM

Holmstrom basically defined a new type of a role player. Another pillar of the Red Wing empire crumbles. It would be sad to see him go.

joe89 07-12-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Glatt (Post 52456617)
He will retire. Most everybody he played with during the Wings glory days are long gone and his best friend (Lidstrom) just retired. His body can't handle it anymore. He's done.

He's played 73 and 74 games plus playoffs the last two seasons. Pretty sure his body can "handle it", otherwise he would've retired already. Can he still be effective? No, that's questionable. In Detroit he's done, but if some team is interested in giving him 4th line minutes and PP time I wish him good luck.

96 07-12-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Glatt (Post 52456617)

When Lidstrom retired, I thought it was a given that Holmstrom would hang up his skates as well. I predict that if he doesn't get an offer from a team along with an indication that he'll be a regular roster player and receive PP time, he'll retire. I don't think he'll want to play another season as the 13th forward.

Maize and Blue 07-12-2012 10:53 AM

Rather have Homer on our 4th line than Emmerton,Mursak, or Abdelkader. At least you know what his role will be, Crash the crease & screen the goalie better than anyone in the game has ever done before him. Those other guys have had forever to develop , and no set role! No hockey sense, skill, Etc. They can just get up and down the ice fast. They do nothing when they get there!!! Bring homer back if he has it in him!!!

Luck 6 07-12-2012 11:04 AM

I'd take him in Vancouver, lots of swedes here. He could be the net front presence on the PP instead of Kesler, hopefully this will leave Kesler fresher for the playoffs. Play him on the point instead.

Tomas W 07-12-2012 12:40 PM

While I think he should retire, and retire a red wing, it still would be interesting too see what he could do for a different team.

BrankoRadivojevic 07-12-2012 12:44 PM

Could he go back to sweden?

Tomas W 07-12-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrankoRadivojevic (Post 52467189)
Could he go back to sweden?

The Swedish article says that Holmström want to play in the NHL or not at all. Homer thinks he much prefer to play on a smaller ice. (My guess is that he want to skate as little as possible...)

Cogburn 07-12-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luck 6 (Post 52463051)
I'd take him in Vancouver, lots of swedes here. He could be the net front presence on the PP instead of Kesler, hopefully this will leave Kesler fresher for the playoffs. Play him on the point instead.

Would have been great when we had Demitra or Samuelsson, I think their play would have really complimented his.

Kesler off our PP1 also means we have a legit center for our second unit again.

If we miss out on Doan, I'd be ok with bringing him in as a vet for 4th line/13th forward minutes (there will be injuries).

Dragon Priest 07-12-2012 12:54 PM

I think, if anything, he ends up signing a cheap contract with Detroit for one last go-round and play a role similar to what most have said here. It would be strange to see him in another uniform. But where else would he go?

ZDatsZuke 07-12-2012 01:07 PM

Wouldn't mind him staying on Detroit. Vancouver seems likely otherwise.

Luck 6 07-12-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cogburn (Post 52467399)
Would have been great when we had Demitra or Samuelsson, I think their play would have really complimented his.

Kesler off our PP1 also means we have a legit center for our second unit again.

If we miss out on Doan, I'd be ok with bringing him in as a vet for 4th line/13th forward minutes (there will be injuries).

I was more thinking we use Kesler on the right point on the #1 unit. He looked good there near the end of last season when we were shuffling things around, he has a heck of a shot. With Salo gone, we don't have a big right hand shot from the point. Also as I said, putting Kesler there would put him through a bit less rigor over a full season. I see it as a win - win.

loLZokAY 07-13-2012 08:43 AM

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz20VFYlmof

Quote:

A report on the Swedish website HockeyExpressen.se suggested otherwise.

"Not true at all," Holmstrom said. "It's playing in Detroit, or nowhere else."
Quote:

"I appreciate Kenny giving me this time to think about things," Holmstrom said. "I'm training, I'm working out. But a lot of it depends on my health, my knees."
As many already thought, he's not willing to play for another club.

FissionFire 07-13-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 (Post 52459237)
Holmstrom basically defined a new type of a role player. Another pillar of the Red Wing empire crumbles. It would be sad to see him go.

Holmstrom was simply the most renowned at it for his generation, but he certainly wasn't the one to define it. He learned much of his craft from Dino Ciccarelli and the player who was probably the first to really define that net-front presence and goalie disturber role was probably Phil Esposito. It's just that in the "Dead Puck" Era a guy like Holmstrom became much more important and valuable than before during the high-flying high-scoring days of the 80s.

ndgt10 07-13-2012 09:35 AM

I could see Bowman bringing him in. He loves players on their last legs.

Super Sniper Cele 07-13-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 (Post 52459237)

Holy ****, someone with not only Asham as their picture, but part of their title too?

My man. :laugh::handclap::yo::D