HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Speculation: Joe Colborne's Potential (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1229371)

Drew75 07-12-2012 12:30 PM

Joe Colborne's Potential

Ok ... Here is a guy that last year started off on a tear - he scored 19 points in his first 13 AHL games, got called up and had 5 points in 10 NHL games. Small sample size, I know - but considering he also had a point in his one game the year before - he has shown evidence that he can produce at the next level.

Then he injured his wrist, and his production - IMO - understandably fell apart.

He has now had surgery to repair the wrist, and with a solid off season of training should be 100% by training camp in September.

This kid has solid hockey IQ, size (not toughness, but can handle himself in the dirty areas), and soft hands.

I don't know why the Leafs didn't just shut him down when he got hurt, and maybe he didn't even tell the team until the playoffs ... but from everything I've read / heard, this kid has a great attitude and is willing to do whatever it takes to make himself better.

Will he be a 1st line centre? Probably not. A solid top 6 centre with size capable of putting up 50 - 60 points? I think that sounds likely. Will he rebound next year to the player who was dominating the AHL before getting hurt? There is absolutely nothing to suggest he won't.

So - a very good top 6 centre prospect who stands at 6'5, 213lbs? You would think Leafs nation would be stoked - and yet I see him getting thrown into every trade proposal, being lumped in with decent-but-not-great prospects like D'Amigo ... and that confuses me.

What do you think his potential is? Considering our only decent top 6 centre is little Grabo - why are most so willing to give away this 6'5 centre with what I see as tons of upside?

leafsrule123 07-12-2012 12:35 PM

I see him with the Marlies this year working on his game and being called up for injuires. I also believe he will replace Grabo as the second line Center in 2 years because Grabo will probably be traded. If not I see him as an ideal 3rd line shutdown center

QMJHLfollower 07-12-2012 12:36 PM

Potential IMO: A 2nd line center with 1st power play unit. About 55 points a year.

satyr9 07-12-2012 12:37 PM

If he grew into a 40ish point 3rd line C who could PK and help punish opponent's top lines, I'd be ecstatic with his development. Anything beyond that would be straight cocaine-laced icing sugar.

Leaf Rocket 07-12-2012 12:38 PM

I think he still has it in him to be that first line, he definitely has the talent and potential, but is it likely? I doubt it.

I have big hopes for this guy and I really like him, he isn't exactly flashy or fancy but he gets his job down. In the end of the day I see him as that second line size forward who can just dish the puck and score while at it. If he doesn't workout at center, he can also easily shift to the wings, where he was at College.

Henderson19 07-12-2012 12:40 PM

Still too early to know. If he's back 100% from the injury, and has matured as a player, and has a great camp -- it's not inconceivable that he gets a shot between Kessel and Lupul at some point. Especially, if the JVR experiment doesn't turn out. The opportunity is there. It's up to him to earn it and never let go.

Is he capable? Well, that's one of the most interesting questions on the table right now...

IBeL13f 07-12-2012 12:40 PM

Top potential? #1C. He's got the size to excel, tons of skill, and he's a hard-worker. He's above a PPG scorer while playing for Eakins when healthy, and he's put up decent numbers in his short stints at the NHL level, as well.

Dayjobdave 07-12-2012 12:50 PM

I like his game because he protects the puck well, goes to the net and plays in the middle of the ice. I think he can be a pretty good playmaker as well.

Obviously he has the size to be impactful. He seems to have a great attitude.

The rest is pretty much up to him. That's why we watch.

caribouPINE 07-12-2012 12:53 PM

He just lacks that drive... that extra effort on the ice. That ability to turn it up a notch. He's got skill but he always seems like he's coasting at one speed.

I think a 2nd line center is wishful thinking. I can see one of those 3rd line centers who gets 30-35 points and gets bumped around the league a bit.

thatshype 07-12-2012 12:59 PM

I watched as much of the Marlies playoff run as possible, and my take on Colborne isn't very favorable from that. I admit that I didn't remember about his wrist injury, and that could easily be the explanation for my analysis. Basically, I saw a player that had absolutely no shot (wrist or slapper), and didn't have the ability to "dangle score". I know he's more of a playmaker, but the ability to make plays is countered by the defense when they know the puck handler is not a threat to score. That is basically the main complaint against Bozak, and I saw the same issue with Colborne. I would project for him to be a journeyman playmaker, or potentially a 3rd line center at best.

However it wasn't until after I watched him play multiple times that I heard he has an injured wrist. The wrist injury could easily explain why his shot was not a threat at all, and would explain his timidness about taking the offence into his own hands. I liked him when he first got here, but I was very underwhelmed by him in the Marlies playoffs. I will give him the benefit of the doubt by saying it was the injury, but I need him to show me something soon to keep believing in him.

Leaf Rocket 07-12-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caribouPINE (Post 52467553)
He just lacks that drive... that extra effort on the ice. That ability to turn it up a notch. He's got skill but he always seems like he's coasting at one speed.

I think a 2nd line center is wishful thinking. I can see one of those 3rd line centers who gets 30-35 points and gets bumped around the league a bit.

Actually he is praised for his drive and attitude. He was once quoted in some manner where he stated he would put on goalie pads if he that what it took to make it to the NHL. He's a hard worker, he just needs to learn how to bring out his offensive potential consistently. We saw flashes of it in the start of the AHL but we have yet to see if he can continue to perform as such in the future. Infact towards the end of the Calder Cup, Final Series, he was showing some magic. He however was playing injured so I am open to give him a chance to prove us wrong.

I actually think if he is all healthy and well he might be able to steal a spot out of camp and might be a dark horse for the top six. Realistically I expect him and Ashton back in the AHL in the upcoming season to build their chemistry and offensive game.

Drew75 07-12-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket (Post 52467811)
I actually think if he is all healthy and well he might be able to steal a spot out of camp and might be a dark horse for the top six. Realistically I expect him and Ashton back in the AHL in the upcoming season to build their chemistry and offensive game.

I see him starting with the Marlies and tearing up the AHL until we're unable to unload Connelly & Lombardi to make room for him (similar to the Beauchemin trade for Aulie).

My bet - by December everyone on here is raving about Colborne and have him penciled in to the # 1 centre slot.

I don't think he'll be a true #1 C in the league - more like a very good #2 ... but these boards like extremes - a guy struggles, he's garbage - regardless of the circumstances. He excels - he's a god. There seems to be no in between, lol.

KingBuzzo 07-12-2012 01:19 PM

I still have high hopes for him. He's got silky smooth hands and has really improved his skating. Hopefully he has a good rehab program for his wrist and comes out flying for training camp. I think Carlyle will want to see him up in the top six during pre-season.

If Colborne even cracks a 60 point year, a line of JvR Colborne Kulemin/Ashton would be intense in the offensive zone.

Around in 67 07-12-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caribouPINE (Post 52467553)

we must talk to different people I guess, because I get a different story about his drive and effort.

big guys often look like they are coasting at one speed. hockey fans should know this

caribouPINE 07-12-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Around in 67 (Post 52468869)
we must talk to different people I guess, because I get a different story about his drive and effort.

big guys often look like they are coasting at one speed. hockey fans should know this

His drive ON THE ICE.

Perhaps you guys misread what I was saying. I'm not talking about his inner clock or willingness or comeptitive drive.... I'm talking about his compete level on the ice.

Leaf Rocket 07-12-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew75 (Post 52468677)
I see him starting with the Marlies and tearing up the AHL until we're unable to unload Connelly & Lombardi to make room for him (similar to the Beauchemin trade for Aulie).

My bet - by December everyone on here is raving about Colborne and have him penciled in to the # 1 centre slot.

I don't think he'll be a true #1 C in the league - more like a very good #2 ... but these boards like extremes - a guy struggles, he's garbage - regardless of the circumstances. He excels - he's a god. There seems to be no in between, lol.

Hahah sad truth unfortunately, as we had an avatar campaign, the boards sometimes forget there is a grey area, not a black and white option only. I hope he does prove a lot of people wrong because he definitely has a beauty of a skill set. The beauchemin example is a very good one but I think that one will benefit Kadri more than Colborne who I think should be toiling in the AHL a bit more unless he really impresses like Gardiner. Changes are coming sooner or later and Burke has stated a trade is about to happen so Frattin and Kadri should get a chance sooner than later.
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingBuzzo (Post 52468739)
I still have high hopes for him. He's got silky smooth hands and has really improved his skating. Hopefully he has a good rehab program for his wrist and comes out flying for training camp. I think Carlyle will want to see him up in the top six during pre-season.

If Colborne even cracks a 60 point year, a line of JvR Colborne Kulemin/Ashton would be intense in the offensive zone.

You and me both, he isn't a flashy player but he gets it down.
Quote:

Originally Posted by caribouPINE (Post 52469075)
His drive ON THE ICE.

Perhaps you guys misread what I was saying. I'm not talking about his inner clock or willingness or comeptitive drive.... I'm talking about his compete level on the ice.

He is actually quite capable of doing things on the ice but he seems lazy at times because he doesn't have that panache per say. I think his compete level on the ice is fine though. Eakins stated he rarely had to tell colborne to do anything, only once I think was when he was like okay joey you gotta pick it up apparently in this season.

HellasLEAF 07-12-2012 01:50 PM

Colborne is a nice asset to have should injuries arise. He could potentially step in and be a big player for us this season.

4evaBlue 07-12-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satyr9 (Post 52466969)
If he grew into a 40ish point 3rd line C who could PK and help punish opponent's top lines, I'd be ecstatic with his development. Anything beyond that would be straight cocaine-laced icing sugar.

Bolded part is straight cocaine-laced icing sugar, as you put it. Players either have a mean streak or they don't. You won't see Franson, or Kulemin putting people through the glass, just like I seriously doubt you'll see Colborne do it. He's more like Sundin in the sense that he'll use his body to help him with work along the board, and keeping puck possession.

I was really hoping for Grabo to be traded in a package at TDL, before signing him to an overpaid contract, to give Colborne a chance out of training camp. He still needs to fill out (and get used to his new bulk), and that will take around 2 years, so hopefully Grabo's contract will be tradeable by then. Until then, Colborne will have to work on his faceoffs, as well as his defensive awareness.

Either way, I can't wait to see him (along w/ a few other prospects) at training camp.

Dangles McGavin 07-12-2012 02:23 PM

I didn't even think about the possibility of Colborne slipping into the 1C this season. Pretty much probability = 0 but I hadn't given it any thought.

I like Colborne a lot. I actually started liking him in the playoffs- though he wasn't putting up major points (and turned out he was injured) his skill was extremely evident. His board work is far better than I thought it was, and he's excellent at takeaways and is definitely getting better at using his long reach.

I see him as a 2C, personally, but who knows.

Durkin67 07-12-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew75 (Post 52466667)
Ok ... Here is a guy that last year started off on a tear - he scored 19 points in his first 13 AHL games, got called up and had 5 points in 10 NHL games. Small sample size, I know - but considering he also had a point in his one game the year before - he has shown evidence that he can produce at the next level.

Then he injured his wrist, and his production - IMO - understandably fell apart.

He has now had surgery to repair the wrist, and with a solid off season of training should be 100% by training camp in September.

This kid has solid hockey IQ, size (not toughness, but can handle himself in the dirty areas), and soft hands.

I don't know why the Leafs didn't just shut him down when he got hurt, and maybe he didn't even tell the team until the playoffs ... but from everything I've read / heard, this kid has a great attitude and is willing to do whatever it takes to make himself better.

Will he be a 1st line centre? Probably not. A solid top 6 centre with size capable of putting up 50 - 60 points? I think that sounds likely. Will he rebound next year to the player who was dominating the AHL before getting hurt? There is absolutely nothing to suggest he won't.

So - a very good top 6 centre prospect who stands at 6'5, 213lbs? You would think Leafs nation would be stoked - and yet I see him getting thrown into every trade proposal, being lumped in with decent-but-not-great prospects like D'Amigo ... and that confuses me.

What do you think his potential is? Considering our only decent top 6 centre is little Grabo - why are most so willing to give away this 6'5 centre with what I see as tons of upside?

I've watched him at Ricoh, on the tube, etc.

Here's what I think...
-super silky hands, especially in tight.
-works hard along the wall
-emerging with potentially + level puck protection skills
-industrious, focused
- needs to back check more
-no apparent separation gear, but a powerful stride once he builds up a head of steam
-big men always look somewhat awkward and/or clumsy on the ice, but he has pretty good mobility in all directions.
-appears coachable, receptive to instruction
-tons of maturity, composure.

Prediction: Solid 2C upside. Worst case, he becomes an energy line pivot who spots on the 2nd due to injury.

Durkin67 07-12-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4evaBlue (Post 52471101)
Bolded part is straight cocaine-laced icing sugar, as you put it. Players either have a mean streak or they don't. You won't see Franson, or Kulemin putting people through the glass, just like I seriously doubt you'll see Colborne do it. He's more like Sundin in the sense that he'll use his body to help him with work along the board, and keeping puck possession.

I was really hoping for Grabo to be traded in a package at TDL, before signing him to an overpaid contract, to give Colborne a chance out of training camp. He still needs to fill out (and get used to his new bulk), and that will take around 2 years, so hopefully Grabo's contract will be tradeable by then. Until then, Colborne will have to work on his faceoffs, as well as his defensive awareness.

Either way, I can't wait to see him (along w/ a few other prospects) at training camp.

Very good analysis...well said...

mydnyte 07-12-2012 02:38 PM

his instincts and reaction time are way too slow to be anything more than a 3rd line center if he even ever makes it full time.

Whydidijoin* 07-12-2012 03:01 PM

People think he has less potential because they know nothing about Leaf prospects and don't realize that the was injured for a lot of the season, exactly when his sensational production started to fall off.

Too many people in this forum see things in black and white, so they just look at his points and say bust, when that logic rarely if ever applies.

SteveV* 07-12-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leafsrule123 (Post 52466863)
I see him with the Marlies this year working on his game and being called up for injuires. I also believe he will replace Grabo as the second line Center in 2 years because Grabo will probably be traded. If not I see him as an ideal 3rd line shutdown center

What do you see in his game that could possibly translate into a shutdown type center? I'd argue he is a top six center or bust.

emackulate 07-12-2012 03:56 PM

definitely top 6. particularly 2C. give him some decent linemates and he will impress. very good at protecting the puck and creating space, but could benefit from getting stronger.