HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Shane Doan thread (Buccigross - The ridiculous offer is Buffalo's) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1230025)

GodHatesBuffalo 07-13-2012 03:02 PM

Shane Doan thread (Buccigross - The ridiculous offer is Buffalo's)

Bulldog [WGR] is talking alot about Doan at the moment. Apparently there is a report from a Phoenix radio station that Doan has received a contract offer of 4 years for 30 million, from an eastern conference team.

Darcy Regier has gone on record as saying he's spoken with Shane Doan's agent, and has interest in the player. This doesn't mean the Sabres are necessarily the team, but it seems logical that they could be. They have the money to spend, and they've shown a tendencey to overpay in the free agent market if they feel it upgrades their team.

If this is the sabres offer that's being floated around, I'm ok with it. Sure, a 4 year deal with a 7.5 cap hit for a 35 year old is risky. This team doesn't have a Shane Doan type of leader on it though. I think the reward outweighs the risk.

What do you folks think?

Connor McDavid 07-13-2012 03:03 PM

I think it was probably NJ or PHI. I hope the latter so I can laugh at that cap cluster**** even more.

e: Word is Eklund says it's not Philly, so lock-tight it's them.

JOHNBOY 07-13-2012 03:04 PM

My bet is on Pittsburgh..

BloFan4Life 07-13-2012 03:05 PM

Wouldn't be shocked to see it us. Pegula knows you don't win a cup without a Doan type player. Pegula wants the cup, no matter the money. He will find a way to make the contracts work under the cap.

start winnin 07-13-2012 03:06 PM

WHAT THE ****?!? 7.5 for DOAN??? I'd pay 6 million for the guy at most. Even with the new cap.

OkimLom 07-13-2012 03:07 PM

We are 10 million under the cap, with raises that need to go to Ennis and possibly Kaleta. We have the space to throw that kind of contract out there.

Myllz 07-13-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkimLom (Post 52512437)
We are 10 million under the cap, with raises that need to go to Ennis and possibly Kaleta. We have the space to throw that kind of contract out there.

That means we should tie up 7.5 for the next 3 years?

Connor McDavid 07-13-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myllz (Post 52512519)

Someone would get moved, most likely.

Crazy Tasty 07-13-2012 03:10 PM

I think that's too much term and money for Doan.

But, I also agree this team is lacking what he brings...
I don't think I'd be happy with that contract for 4 years.

joshjull 07-13-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myllz (Post 52512519)

4 years :)

ZZamboni 07-13-2012 03:11 PM

Toooooo expensive and toooooo long for Doan. But I would love him on the team.

Duddy 07-13-2012 03:11 PM

J-e-t-s jets jets jets

Ron C. 07-13-2012 03:11 PM

I get the feeling it might be Buffalo. The team has $$ to spend, they just signed Girgensons who will likely play in the AHL, but could be a 3rd line center this year, if needed. Also, if something happens to Doan where he is "injured" 1 or 2 years from now, he can go on LTIR a la Pronger and not affect the cap.

heartsabres* 07-13-2012 03:12 PM

Pitt would be my guess

haseoke39 07-13-2012 03:13 PM

Crazy money. Completely unconscionable. I want Doan on this team, but not at that price. 1 year for 10 million if we're sure it lets us stay under the cap with our RFAs and we have the cash to blow anyways? Oh, sure. FOUR years, knowing that we're going to have to restock a lot of players and Doan will likely be a 30 point fourth liner by the time the deal is done? Holy ****. Not a smart move.

That's the kind of thing that either sounds like a fan boy is pulling strings or Darcy is feeling desperate. Hopefully the offer is coming from Toronto.

Connor McDavid 07-13-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duddy (Post 52512629)
J-e-t-s jets jets jets

They certainly have the space and the history... but that middle :p

Myllz 07-13-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshjull (Post 52512599)
4 years :)

I meant after this year since he talked about being 10 million under going into this season.

heartsabres* 07-13-2012 03:14 PM

This is an unconfirmed rumor. It is from a radio station. Can't say I would put 100% in it

heartsabres* 07-13-2012 03:18 PM

I don't like the cap hit but if they trade away Stafford or pomms for a center after signing Doan......we win the devision

pigpen65 07-13-2012 03:24 PM

After the complete disaster that was the Ville Leino signing, no way is it Regier / Pegula.

haseoke39 07-13-2012 03:24 PM

I have a philosophy when it comes to building a team with a functionally unlimited budget: you buy up the kinds of players that you think are key components to a cup-winning team whenever they become available, almost regardless of price, with the knowledge that you are then in control of who stays on the roster, who you move for picks, and who you just dump into Rochester. And it's a lot better to be in control than not be in control.

So I don't have a problem with the money from that perspective. My problem is that I don't believe Shane Doan will be a key component to a cup winning roster in four years. And if you dump Doan into the minors (the failsafe to all money problems) you create a real ill will problem for future free agents. Doan has to seriously play his way off the roster to make that kind of move look okay.

Either that, or maybe you can move him in a couple years to a team that can't meet the cap floor. If you think, for example, that there will be a market to trade Shane Doan in 3 years to a team that can't make the cap floor, then maybe. If not, wow, you really might be signing a bad deal.

Zip15 07-13-2012 03:29 PM

A lot of teams have a lot of money. I wouldn't say Buffalo is more of a favorite than Philly, Pittsburgh, Winnipeg, Washington, Ottawa, Carolina, or the Rangers. In other words, a ton of competition.

Zip15 07-13-2012 03:30 PM

After the Roy trade, Bulldog is firmly in "If I say it enough, it will be so" mode.

sabresEH 07-13-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OkimLom (Post 52512437)

Did you mean we don't have the space to throw that money around. If we have less than ten and Ennis is gonna make around 2.5-3 and Kaleta gets around a mill give or take 200k. That would leave us with around 6 mill or less to sign Doan. While we can go over the limit by 10% we then lower the trade value of our players as other GM's know Darcy needs to unload someone.

I guess if we assume Pardy is going to Rochester that frees up more space but I just don't see Darcy being the dumb GM who is giving Doan 7.5 on an over 35 contract.

Woodhouse 07-13-2012 03:40 PM

I wasn't interested in Doan before this report and remain uninterested now. This blurb pretty much summarizes my thoughts on the subject:
Quote:

Let's suppose that some Eastern Conference GM really did down a tall glass of ayahuasca tea and submit this offer. This is insanity.

Doan had 22 goals and 50 points last year, playing first line minutes on the Coyotes. His numbers were fairly similar to what he put up in the two years prior as well, so it's a safe bet that that's the production you'll get out of Doan going forward.

So what kind of crazy do you have to be to make Doan one of the 10 highest-paid players in the league in terms of cap hit for that kind of production?

On top of that, we're only talking about Doan's production right now. He's 35 years old, and three years removed from two consecutive seasons as a 70-point guy, so he's already taken a step back. At his age, who's to say he doesn't take another?

So basically, you'd be paying $7.5 million a year for a guy that's not worth $7.5 million now -- I'd argue he's not even worth $5 million -- and the most you can hope for is that he doesn't regress. For four years.

Furthermore, if he does, under the terms of the current CBA, there's no way to wipe this patently stupid contract from the books because he'll have signed it after his 35th birthday.

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...7569--nhl.html