HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Douglas Murray to Carolina (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1230465)

Carolinas Identity 07-14-2012 12:25 PM

Douglas Murray to Carolina

He's a big physical guy, which is somthing we're lacking big time. Not sure what the Shark's needs are, but what would it take?

CupfortheSharks 07-14-2012 12:35 PM

The Sharks need young scoring wingers with speed.

CREW99AW 07-14-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks (Post 52538941)

A few SJ fans are saying his game fell off a cliff this season,his slow skating really noticeable.

Can he still play quality,top 4 minutes or does he need to play sheltered,3rd pairing minutes?

Pinkfloyd 07-14-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 52539097)
A few SJ fans are saying his game fell off a cliff this season,his slow skating really noticeable.

Can he still play quality,top 4 minutes or does he need to play sheltered,3rd pairing minutes?

Breaking your foot twice and fracturing your Adam's apple might do that to a player. If he's healthy, he's a decent option as a #4 and a quality PK'er with those physical attributes. Besides that, most fans here won't even be asking that much for Murray. I don't think either the Hurricanes or the Islanders are willing to make a deal that involves Murray and probably something else for a winger that contributes to the big club now.

TheJuxtaposer 07-14-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 52539097)

He played top-4 minutes last season while facing a series of freak injuries. I'd prefer that he not play top-4 minutes, but he could when he's healthy.

We need young wingers or wing prospects that are NHL-ready.

CREW99AW 07-14-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd (Post 52539611)
Breaking your foot twice and fracturing your Adam's apple might do that to a player. If he's healthy, he's a decent option as a #4 and a quality PK'er with those physical attributes. Besides that, most fans here won't even be asking that much for Murray. I don't think either the Hurricanes or the Islanders are willing to make a deal that involves Murray and probably something else for a winger that contributes to the big club now.

I agree with you about Snow, now that he's made the Vis trade.

I'd posted months ago, that I thought Snow would shop his high 2nd rounder+ second tier propects like Lee/Rakhshani, for a 1-2 yr pickup.

I'm just wondering if Snow kicked the tires on the younger Murray before making the Vis trade.

DamonDRW 07-14-2012 01:36 PM

Is Shaehan for Murray straight fair for both DRW and SJS?

DuckEatinShark 07-14-2012 01:37 PM

If you guys want to toss in a sweetner with Tlusty, he's all yours.

Not a fan of Tlusty but it's the only deal I can think of that makes sense for both sides.

Pinkfloyd 07-14-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamonDRW (Post 52540655)

In value, yes. However, it's unlikely that DW would be interested in that. He still has holes to fill on the third line before worrying about getting futures for potentially excess players like Murray.

TheJuxtaposer 07-14-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Riley Sheahan? Yeah, I'd do it.

DamonDRW 07-14-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 52540875)
Riley Sheahan? Yeah, I'd do it.

Is Murray signed? And, if yes, how long? I would do this trade as well. Sheahan is just two letters from Shanahan :) but most likely he will be miles behind in skill, determination, and passion. At least, based on what I saw in minors.

VP and GM 07-14-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks (Post 52538941)

Or, we need decent prospects or a draft pick.

Oppa 07-14-2012 02:09 PM

He's signed for another year @ $2.5

CupfortheSharks 07-14-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VP and GM (Post 52541417)
Or, we need decent prospects or a draft pick.

We heard recently that there was a lot of interest in Murray at the draft. If a draft pick would have gotten it done I suspect he would already have been traded. I know there are other posters who agree with you, but I doubt DW trades Murray for futures.

TheJuxtaposer 07-14-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DamonDRW (Post 52541129)
Is Murray signed? And, if yes, how long? I would do this trade as well. Sheahan is just two letters from Shanahan :) but most likely he will be miles behind in skill, determination, and passion. At least, based on what I saw in minors.

He's got one more year at $2.5M, and then I'm sure you could re-sign him for less, considering all the Swedes. How close is Sheahan to the NHL?

RussianShark 07-14-2012 02:56 PM

Murray for Jokinen
or
Murray for Tlustly+pick

jeromeo87 07-14-2012 04:38 PM

He's a little old, only has a year left on this contract, and would probably find himself in our bottom pairing.

I would rather just sign Vandemeer.

CupfortheSharks 07-14-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeromeo87 (Post 52545049)
He's a little old, only has a year left on this contract, and would probably find himself in our bottom pairing.

I would rather just sign Vandemeer.

They were both Sharks last year. Murray played top 4 minutes through injuries. Vandermeer mostly sat in the press box. He played in 25 games, many of them as a 4th line forward. There's a pretty big difference between the two.

WTFetus 07-14-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks (Post 52545613)
They were both Sharks last year. Murray played top 4 minutes through injuries. Vandermeer mostly sat in the press box. He played in 25 games, many of them as a 4th line forward. There's a pretty big difference between the two.

Murray was fairly ineffective with Top-4 minutes last year. Vandermeer wouldn't cost them any assets and he wasn't sat because of any bad play.
I'd say it's a pretty good move to prefer Vandermeer over Murray as your 6th. He's quicker and has a better break-out pass.

CupfortheSharks 07-14-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 52545731)
.....he wasn't sat because of any bad play.

I'm curious. Why do you think Vandermeer spent most of the season in the press box if it wasn't his play?

WTFetus 07-14-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks (Post 52546265)
I'm curious. Why do you think Vandermeer spent most of the season in the press box if it wasn't his play?

Who knows. Why did the coaches play Huskins and Wallin instead of Braun? Even Hedican was confused on why they were constantly dressing White instead of Vandermeer. Maybe they wanted to get White out of his funk? Or maybe they were blinded by his SC Ring?

Patty Ice 07-14-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CREW99AW (Post 52540407)
I agree with you about Snow, now that he's made the Vis trade.

I'd posted months ago, that I thought Snow would shop his high 2nd rounder+ second tier propects like Lee/Rakhshani, for a 1-2 yr pickup.

I'm just wondering if Snow kicked the tires on the younger Murray before making the Vis trade.

I'd do Rakhshani and a 2nd for Murray.

CupfortheSharks 07-14-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 52548195)
Who knows. Why did the coaches play Huskins and Wallin instead of Braun? Even Hedican was confused on why they were constantly dressing White instead of Vandermeer. Maybe they wanted to get White out of his funk? Or maybe they were blinded by his SC Ring?

...or maybe those coaches that are getting paid big bucks for their knowledge of hockey know way more than you and I put together. It's fun to second guess them. But let's face it, they get paid to make the calls and we pay to watch them do it. Clearly they didn't think too highly of him...and right now it looks like none of the hockey minds in the NHL think too highly of him either. We hear lots of teams are looking for D and nobody has signed him yet. He may yet get a job for next year, but it doens't look like he's anyones first choice.

ZetterBurger 07-14-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

No. Murray is a servicable defense men but his style of play and the way he is built doesn't hint at a long career. Honestly I don't even want Murray on this team for free, let alone giving up a guy with a ton of promise. At the very worst Sheahan becomes the Wings fourth line center for the 10 years.

Pass from the Wings.

WTFetus 07-14-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CupfortheSharks (Post 52551311)
...or maybe those coaches that are getting paid big bucks for their knowledge of hockey know way more than you and I put together.

These coaches not only used a 1-2-1 PK, but their idea of fixing it was going with a very passive box. Personally, I think Hedican is more knowledgeable than both Shaw and Woodcroft. He wanted a more aggressive PK and was very confused on why they were playing White instead of Vandermeer.