HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   The Lockout Thread Part I (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1230843)

Matt Foley 07-15-2012 10:23 AM

The Lockout Thread Part I
 
Could we be possibly facing yet another lost season? The 2004-05 lockout was bad enough as it was; it seems that we might be headed down the same rabbit hole this year.

Thankfully there's still a lot of time to get this figured out before the season starts, but that's what I was thinking at this point in the summer of 2004. C'mon NHL and NHLPA; get this figured out and the sooner the better.

pete goegan 07-15-2012 10:40 AM

Too early to get worked up about it, MF, the league just fired the first salvo. It'll be interesting to see what the union counter-proposal looks like in order to know how far apart the offers are. I expect them to be very far apart! The two biggest differences I see from the last time:

Fehr is a pro and will negotiate in a much more effective manner than his predecessor,

and,

Both sides will remember how great a hit the game took, last time.

Those leave me a bit more positive than perhaps seems warranted by the radical nature of the first league offer and the general fear of Fehr that seems to prevail among most hockey fans.

FANonymous 07-15-2012 10:42 AM

In b4 lockout.

Being serious though, I think there likely will be a lockout. With the demands reportedly being made and the hardball tactics of Fehr, I wonder how much hockey we will see this season.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 07-15-2012 10:44 AM

They couldn't possibly think lockout is a good idea again.

Could they?
They couldn't, right?

EspenK 07-15-2012 10:47 AM

I'm ready to effem all. I'm already pretty much done with pro basketball & baseball; football about half. Damn Curt Flood.

Tickets cost way too much; owners make way too much;players make way too much.

That being said, I hope there isn't a lockout.

1857 Howitzer 07-15-2012 11:21 AM

Sure hope it doesn't happen, but at this point who knows. The only good part of a lock out is the monthly refund check with interest STHs get for unplayed games.

IBleedUnionBlue 07-15-2012 12:19 PM

I fear the season wont start on time. It would just amaze me that they didnt learn the lesson from the 04-05 season.

But there is always a silver lining... if we lose next season, I will never have to see Mason start another game for the CBJ.

Sore Loser 07-15-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete goegan (Post 52560963)
Too early to get worked up about it, MF, the league just fired the first salvo. It'll be interesting to see what the union counter-proposal looks like in order to know how far apart the offers are. I expect them to be very far apart! The two biggest differences I see from the last time:

Fehr is a pro and will negotiate in a much more effective manner than his predecessor,

and,

Both sides will remember how great a hit the game took, last time.

Those leave me a bit more positive than perhaps seems warranted by the radical nature of the first league offer and the general fear of Fehr that seems to prevail among most hockey fans.

I agree, Pete. I think Fehr isn't going to get ******** at the league's offer, and I think both sides understand that if there's another lockout, they may very well destroy this league, and any hope of them ever returning to similar jobs will be down the toilet.

I think they're far apart, but I think alot of ado is being made over nothing at this point ... I really hope it gets settled.

CBJBrassard16 07-15-2012 12:22 PM

I doubt the season starts on time but there is no way they lose another season.

KeithBWhittington 07-15-2012 12:43 PM

I'm trying to remember exactly when they cancelled the "rest of the season" last time, wasn't it somewhere around the beginning of december?

The last two times this happened without a deal by the deadline, the following seasons ASG was cancelled if I remember correctly.

1857 Howitzer 07-15-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keithbwhittington (Post 52564535)
i'm trying to remember exactly when they cancelled the "rest of the season" last time, wasn't it somewhere around the beginning of december?

The last two times this happened without a deal by the deadline, the following seasons asg was cancelled if i remember correctly.

2/16/2005

http://abcnews.go.com/Archives/video...elled-15683908

St1ngr 07-15-2012 02:17 PM

I suspect training camp will not open on time, but the season will not be lost. Kind of like the NFL last year.

JACKETfan 07-15-2012 02:21 PM

The two sides don't seem far apart. A lot has changed since the last one. The economics today seem to be tilted toward the owners' claims.

candyman82 07-15-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKETfan (Post 52567659)
The two sides don't seem far apart. A lot has changed since the last one. The economics today seem to be tilted toward the owners' claims.

I think anything put out now is simply in the hopes that by pushes their demands farther, the inevitable middle ground is closer to what they want

DaveCBJ 07-15-2012 02:53 PM

The year seems to start a little later this year. My first thought was that they wanted as much room to negotiate as possible.

If there is a lockout could Edmonton possibly get a fourth #1 pick in a row?

Mayor Bee 07-15-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBusChill (Post 52568615)
The year seems to start a little later this year. My first thought was that they wanted as much room to negotiate as possible.

If there is a lockout could Edmonton possibly get a fourth #1 pick in a row?

In the event of a season-killing lockout, AND in the event of a lottery in the style of 2005...

Each team started with three balls and lost one for each playoff appearance in the last three years, AND lost one for each time awarded the 1st overall pick in the previous four years (whether it was traded or not). No team can lose more than two balls combined. With this in mind:

3 balls - Calgary, Carolina, Columbus, Dallas, Minnesota, Toronto, "Winnipeg"

2 balls - Anaheim, Colorado, Florida, NY Islanders, St. Louis, Tampa Bay

1 ball - Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Montreal, Nashville, New Jersey, NY Rangers, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Phil Kessel, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Vancouver, Washington

That's 50 total balls in the hopper. Each team with 1 ball would have a 2% chance of winning, each team with 2 would have a 4% chance, and each with 3 would have a 6% chance.

However, the idea of Edmonton winning with less-than-optimal odds means that them getting #1 again would probably happen.

FANonymous 07-15-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayor Bee (Post 52569721)
In the event of a season-killing lockout, AND in the event of a lottery in the style of 2005...

Each team started with three balls and lost one for each playoff appearance in the last three years, AND lost one for each time awarded the 1st overall pick in the previous four years (whether it was traded or not). No team can lose more than two balls combined. With this in mind:

3 balls - Calgary, Carolina, Columbus, Dallas, Minnesota, Toronto, "Winnipeg"

2 balls - Anaheim, Colorado, Florida, NY Islanders, St. Louis, Tampa Bay

1 ball - Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Montreal, Nashville, New Jersey, NY Rangers, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Phil Kessel, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Vancouver, Washington

That's 50 total balls in the hopper. Each team with 1 ball would have a 2% chance of winning, each team with 2 would have a 4% chance, and each with 3 would have a 6% chance.

However, the idea of Edmonton winning with less-than-optimal odds means that them getting #1 again would probably happen.

And every team named Pittsburgh would have a 100% chance to win. :sarcasm:

DaveCBJ 07-15-2012 04:20 PM

Or the Hockey Gods could smile on us and our ball comes out first and LA's ball comes out second giving us the top two picks. Ok, well, I am going to go back and drink some more NyQuil now.

CBJSprague24 07-15-2012 04:21 PM

Even with the CBJ coming off a horrific season, I'm still on a seven-year honeymoon period with the NHL. A ton of goodwill goes down the drain if they find a way to lockout again.

ClevelandJacketFan 07-15-2012 07:44 PM

The Owners would be foolish to lockout the players. The game is in a good financial state and the league is growing.

Sore Loser 07-15-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayor Bee (Post 52569721)
In the event of a season-killing lockout, AND in the event of a lottery in the style of 2005...

Each team started with three balls and lost one for each playoff appearance in the last three years, AND lost one for each time awarded the 1st overall pick in the previous four years (whether it was traded or not). No team can lose more than two balls combined. With this in mind:

3 balls - Calgary, Carolina, Columbus, Dallas, Minnesota, Toronto, "Winnipeg"

2 balls - Anaheim, Colorado, Florida, NY Islanders, St. Louis, Tampa Bay

1 ball - Boston, Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Montreal, Nashville, New Jersey, NY Rangers, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Phil Kessel, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Vancouver, Washington

That's 50 total balls in the hopper. Each team with 1 ball would have a 2% chance of winning, each team with 2 would have a 4% chance, and each with 3 would have a 6% chance.

However, the idea of Edmonton winning with less-than-optimal odds means that them getting #1 again would probably happen.

:laugh:

Way to sneak that on in there

Mayor Bee 07-15-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sore Loser (Post 52579235)
:laugh:

Way to sneak that on in there

I thought for sure that no one would notice.

leesmith 07-15-2012 10:43 PM

They need to revise the lottery so that the same team cannot pick first two years in a row.

Skraut 07-15-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leesmith (Post 52581975)
They need to revise the lottery so that the same team cannot pick first two years in a row.

let it go. We got the guy the front office would have taken if we had won the lottery.

CBJBrassard16 07-15-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skraut (Post 52582043)
let it go. We got the guy the front office would have taken if we had won the lottery.

Pretty much this ^


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.