HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Devin Setoguchi (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1231011)

MarleauApologist 07-15-2012 03:50 PM

Devin Setoguchi

Hey guys, Sharks fan here coming in peace.

Congratulations on Suter and Parise; still unsure however how those contracts will look in 5 years, but I certainly wish the Sharks got these guys.

On topic, how did you all feel about Setoguchi's performance this year? I personally strongly miss him and his Power Forward style of game, and I hate when I see him compared to Jonathan Cheechoo because they are nothing alike. Thanks for any feedback, and wishing Setoguchi the best in Minnesota.

squidz* 07-15-2012 03:56 PM

I think we would have liked to see a little bit more from him, but I'm actually really confused by the people who act like he did a terrible job. He was actually above average statistically and that's a real accomplishment considering the accident he was in during the offseason.

Hoping to see more from him this year with our improved top 6.

DeuceMN 07-15-2012 04:02 PM

He was alright. The news about him getting run over by some old lady in a mall made me lower my expectations a little for last year. I mean damn....

He seemed to be picking it up a little at the end of the year which gives me hope that he will be a little more comfortable this year, hopefully try a little more out the gate( he did seem a little depressed innitially), be on the second line( he seems to do best in this position), and avoid malls and old ladys in cars. Once really should be enough:sarcasm:

Karl 07-15-2012 04:27 PM

I think he will have a much better go around this season. There won't be the pressure he had on him last season to be a 25+ goal scorer. He can just play his game on the second line and I think that he will have a great season.

brainfreeze 07-15-2012 04:54 PM

I liked the fact that even when he wasn't scoring he still busted his butt every time he was on the ice. I think he could have a big year playing with PMB or Granlund if he can do a better job of finding the soft/open spots to get that hard shot off.

Minnesota 07-15-2012 04:55 PM

Can't say I wasn't slightly disappointed by his production when playing on the first line.

I liked what I saw of him when he was on his game, but I'd like to see more consistency. He's got a big body, and he needs to use it.

Sportsfan1 07-15-2012 05:28 PM

I think he will be magic with Granlund this year, really i do. Tough first year, but i think he and Heatley are motivated now more so then ever to come back in the worst way and be productive, they are sort of the forgetten men now. I think that will help them a lot!

BigT2002 07-15-2012 05:29 PM

We will see how he does this year if he can stay healthy.

Sportsfan1 07-15-2012 05:32 PM

^You can say that about any Wild player though. ;)

Surly Furious 07-15-2012 05:37 PM

I see him as an ideal 2nd line wing, not a 1st line guy.

I'm hoping he will thrive with service from Granlund and perhaps Bouchard.

Last season was such a boondoggle, and he was wrapped up in all the injury rubbish. Here's hoping for a full season at 100%.

FUBAR McDangles 07-15-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bookman (Post 52572809)
I see him as an ideal 2nd line wing, not a 1st line guy.

I'm hoping he will thrive with service from Granlund and perhaps Bouchard.

Last season was such a boondoggle, and he was wrapped up in all the injury rubbish. Here's hoping for a full season at 100%.

:scared: What does this even mean? :scared:

:sarcasm:

IMO, Seto is a guy who should be on the 2nd line but could also handle a 3rd line role on a deep team. Either way, he's a good player and a good asset for a possible future trade.

Billy Mays Here 07-15-2012 06:03 PM

With a whole healthy off-season to train and another of his Shark buddies coming over, he'll be fine. I hate all the Seto to _______ proposals when we really don't have any interest in trading him at the moment.

Surly Furious 07-15-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyratoku (Post 52573119)
:scared: What does this even mean? :scared:

:sarcasm:

IMO, Seto is a guy who should be on the 2nd line but could also handle a 3rd line role on a deep team. Either way, he's a good player and a good asset for a possible future trade.

Sorry, just watched the thread with footie announcers dubbed over NHL goals. :)

TZM 07-15-2012 06:15 PM

I too think Seto will have a better season overall. Like many of the players last season, we didn't get to see what he can do with a healthy roster. Either first or second line, doesn't matter, I believe he'll produce.

Avder 07-15-2012 06:49 PM

I'm eager to see what Seto can do with another one of his buddies in the lineup and with a full offseason of rest and not getting hit by a car.

30+ perhaps too high to hope for?

Billy Mays Here 07-15-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avder (Post 52574767)
I'm eager to see what Seto can do with another one of his buddies in the lineup and with a full offseason of rest and not getting hit by a car.

With a healthy Granlund and Bouchard on his line? 30 goals sounds about right.

TZM 07-15-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avder (Post 52574767)

I'm sure he has the potential to score 30+. Especially if PMG-FBJ-Seto line clicked together. He'd get a lot of feeds from fellow linemates.

Dr Jan Itor 07-15-2012 07:02 PM

28g + 25a is my baseline right now. It all pretty much depends on how quickly Granlund picks up the NHL game.

IronRangeHockey 07-15-2012 09:53 PM

Maybe the homer in me but I think the entire tem will be improved this year. Its easy to see Seto's a gamer, it was (imo) the bottom fell out of the entire team last season. With the recent addtions, a healthy team and a non-rookie bench boss will elevate the entire team. I like Seto, I hope he has a great season.

melinko 07-15-2012 10:29 PM

Early on last year I was disappointed with Seto, I felt he was weaker on the boards than he should be.

After we tanked and had nothing to play for he started playing really well.

Hopefully the messed up offseason was the culprit for the slow start.

Excited to see him this year with better match-ups and hopefully some linemates that match up better with his strengths.

Fel 96 07-15-2012 10:50 PM

Hopefully Seto is having a healthy offseason unlike last year.

TaLoN 07-16-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 (Post 52572603)
I think he will be magic with Granlund this year, really i do. Tough first year, but i think he and Heatley are motivated now more so then ever to come back in the worst way and be productive, they are sort of the forgetten men now. I think that will help them a lot!

The key is... don't try to do too much with the puck like he did last year. He's not the best puck handler, and he often tried to do more than he is really capable of. Play a simple game, let Granlund be the puck possession guy on the line, and just wait for the beauty of a pass you know will be heading his way!

MuckOG 07-16-2012 08:07 AM

I think that if the Wild hope to make the playoffs this season, Setoguchi is key. We need him to be that 25-30+ goal scorer on the 2nd line if we expect the Wild to approach any kind of success.

rynryn 07-16-2012 09:03 AM

wouldn't mind seeing a scoring by committee situation here with goals spread out. I'd be satisfied with 25-25 with little PP time or 30-25 if he's on the first unit. Our PP had better improve, dammit.

Jarick 07-16-2012 09:08 AM

I didn't like Setoguchi but I didn't realize he got hit by a car last summer, and he also hurt his knee.

He's fast and has a decent shot, but he has brick hands and poor hockey sense. We'll see if that happens with a healthy offseason.