HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Speculation: Assuming same salary, same years, Doan or Semin? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1231617)

Jaded-Fan 07-16-2012 04:42 PM

Assuming same salary, same years, Doan or Semin?

So we apparently made an offer to Doan. Frightening thing is that report of an eastern conference team making a massive offer of 4 years and $30 million that was floating around a couple of days ago. $7.5 million per year is scary bad, especially for 4 years, for him.

So the poll is easy. Let's ignore the $30 million rumor. Let's say you could have either for $6 million per for four years, who would you rather it be? Doan or Semin? Or neither and go internally for now.

Quote:

Shelly Anderson@pgshelly

Have confirmed the #Penguins have made offer to UFA Shane Doan and there is mutual interest. Don't have terms of offer. No timetable.

TravisUlrich 07-16-2012 04:47 PM

Shane Doan making $6M... Wow, free agency does some crazy things.

MurphyDump 07-16-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan (Post 52605055)
So we apparently made an offer to Doan. Frightening thing is that report of an eastern conference team making a massive offer of 4 years and $30 million that was floating around a couple of days ago. $7.5 million per year is scary bad, especially for 4 years, for him.

So the poll is easy. Let's ignore the $30 million rumor. Let's say you could have either for $6 million per for four years, who would you rather it be? Doan or Semin? Or neither and go internally for now.

I read that the Pens offered Doan 2 years 4.5 per. Then I've also read they made a 3 year offer.
If some team is offering him 7.5 million, then have at him. There's no way I even want to come close to that price.

To answer your question, um, wow. 4 years might be too long for Doan. His skating isn't getting any better, nor is he getting any younger. As for Semin, he might only get better in those 4 years, however I'm not sure I trust Semin in a 4 year contract because of his apparent attitude issues, etc.

Tough question. I think I'd go with Semin, only because of age and talent level. The guy is masterful with the puck, has a killer shot, can skate, and would be a sniping winger for Sid.

However, I'd be uneasy with both.

Jules Winnfield 07-16-2012 04:50 PM

Doan is a better fit even strength, the playoffs, and in the locker room.

Semin is a better fit on the PP and PK (though Bylsma doesn't use skill guys on the PK for some reason).

I think Doan really fits what we've been missing in the locker room since Guerin left and has been one of the top RWers in the NHL production wise for several years. Worse case scenario for 4 years, he's at 39/40 years old which is where Guerin was. Maybe he plays the 3rd line his last year.

Seeing Semin on the left side of the PP with his playmaking skills and laser might actually force the Pens to use the entire offensive zone while being on the PP. Plus, Sid and Malkin setting him up for backdoor one timers would be :nod:

I think Semin's issues in Washington with the locker room are a overall organizational problem of the Caps coddling Ovechkin and his party lifestyle for years. Semin is his BFF. They were untouchable. The Caps created their own issues with Ovy and Semin IMO. When things were great in Capsland and they were blowing teams out, the organization gave them whatever they wanted. When they couldn't win in the playoffs and the Pens won, Teddy got mad and pissed in their cheerios.

I'd be happy to have either one to be honest.

Antaris 07-16-2012 04:55 PM

No way im giving Doan four years. Two years tops or three years on the cheap.

I'm very uneasy about giving Semin 6 per but I'd much rather give it to him then Doan, plus I think Semin would be a better compliment to our (Sids) needs then Doan.

Voting for Semin, with a good amount of apprehension about the money.

I don't really have a problem now with giving Semin four years, I was on the fence about the years earlier but I've come around to it. 6 per year is aloooot of money for four years. I'd like to slice a good million of that to be comfortable with it, but I could be wrestled into accepting it.

Edit : With this said - My preference is Semin. I'm really not going to complain if we somehow manage to get Doan though. :)

Til the End of Time 07-16-2012 04:57 PM

for just next year, doan would be the ideal acquisition (maybe even ahead of parise, imo). i think he's exactly what the pens need. i figure there is really no chance of him coming here so it's generally not worth belaboring the point.

gritty, can score, good leader, etc.

the question is obviously how long the contract is. he's still got several good years in him but some stupid team will probably offer him like 5 years or something and i'm not ok with that.

i would be very happy if the pens could get him for a few years.

i dont like semin, but i can see why people want him.

basically i cant answer this poll. i dont think i want either at 4 yrs.

wej20 07-16-2012 04:59 PM

I'd say neither, I wouldn't want to commit to more than 2 years for either of them

Ogrezilla 07-16-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antaris (Post 52605573)
No way im giving Doan four years. Two years tops or three years on the cheap.

I'm very uneasy about giving Semin 6 per but I'd much rather give it to him then Doan, plus I think Semin would be a better compliment to our (Sids) needs then Doan.

Voting for Semin, with a good amount of apprehension about the money.

I don't really have a problem now with giving Semin four years, I was on the fence about the years earlier but I've come around to it. 6 per year is aloooot of money for four years. I'd like to slice a good million of that to be comfortable with it, but I could be wrestled into accepting it.

Edit : With this said - My preference is Semin. I'm really not going to complain if we somehow manage to get Doan though. :)

I could be wrestled into accepting Semin as well.

Coach John McGuirk 07-16-2012 05:09 PM

As much as I'd be against it, Semin. He has all the upside and potential in the world if he gets his **** together and plays well with Sid or Geno.

Doan is a better fit, but $6M for him is ridiculous, especially considering he'll be 40 when the deal is done.

The third choice isn't even really an option, in my opinion. Standing pat and being complacent is a recipe for disaster in this league, especially this division. Teams are ALWAYS getting better, and if you think you can just coast along, then you're going to fail.

Ugene Malkin 07-16-2012 05:17 PM

Semin is the wiser choice because you signed him for nothing (No assets given up) and he'll bring back assets should he not work out here.

Von Malkin* 07-16-2012 05:18 PM

To answer your question, I'd pick Semin. He's 28, Doan is 36. If you are signing a guy for 4 years, I'll take the guy in his prime. Doan is apparently a great leader, something this team appears to need. If it was a 2 year deal, I'd go with Doan but not a 4 year deal.

But why not get both. They could finally play 2 lines on the power play instead of playing one line for 1:30 and conceding if they didn't score by sending a bunch of idiots out there to essentially kill the last 30 secs

Jaded-Fan 07-16-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Til the End of Time (Post 52605631)
for just next year, doan would be the ideal acquisition (maybe even ahead of parise, imo). i think he's exactly what the pens need. i figure there is really no chance of him coming here so it's generally not worth belaboring the point.

gritty, can score, good leader, etc.

the question is obviously how long the contract is. he's still got several good years in him but some stupid team will probably offer him like 5 years or something and i'm not ok with that.

i would be very happy if the pens could get him for a few years.

i dont like semin, but i can see why people want him.

basically i cant answer this poll. i dont think i want either at 4 yrs.

Neither was a poll option.

Darth Vitale 07-16-2012 05:26 PM

We can forget about Doan. The Arena Referendum Petition did not have the required number of signatures, meaning the new lease deal will go forward and Doan will stay in PHX most likely.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400763

pensfansince88 07-16-2012 05:26 PM

considering the name, how appropriate for the poll results to look like a b0ner

Antaris 07-16-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pensfansince88 (Post 52606591)
considering the name, how appropriate for the poll results to look like a b0ner

How unfortunate :laugh:

Jules Winnfield 07-16-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogrezilla (Post 52605773)
I could be wrestled into accepting Semin as well.

If we sign Semin, there's going to be a lot of TWSS comments round these parts. :laugh:

Jaded-Fan 07-16-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale (Post 52606589)
We can forget about Doan. The Arena Referendum Petition did not have the required number of signatures, meaning the new lease deal will go forward and Doan will stay in PHX most likely.

Considering the poll results thus far, maybe that is a good thing. Perhaps Shero will be forced to finally do the right thing, though I am not holding my breath.

Darth Vitale 07-16-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan (Post 52606813)
Considering the poll results thus far, maybe that is a good thing. Perhaps Shero will be forced to finally do the right thing, though I am not holding my breath.

If my understanding is right then at the very least it narrows Shero's potential talent pool to 1. Although what this most likely means is, Semin and his agent will try to drive up the price or term. Which means Shero will give him the Jagr treatment (as he should IMO if Semin asks too much).

Ogrezilla 07-16-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield (Post 52606801)
If we sign Semin, there's going to be a lot of TWSS comments round these parts. :laugh:

I softballed that one in, I think people are already sick of it :laugh:

DegenX 07-16-2012 05:38 PM

I'd take Sasha ...

Jaded-Fan 07-16-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale (Post 52606903)
If my understanding is right then at the very least it narrows Shero's potential talent pool to 1. Although what this most likely means is, Semin and his agent will try to drive up the price or term. Which means Shero will give him the Jagr treatment (as he should IMO if Semin asks too much).

I honestly do not think that Shero is interested in Semin at any price. I just get that impression. The likely scenerio now is we do nothing.

Shrimper 07-16-2012 05:40 PM

Read the question but didn't think and voted Doan. Would take Semin though.

Black Label 07-16-2012 05:41 PM

Even if it was Doan for 2 years and Semin for 4, I'd still rather have Semin. I'm really not crazy about Doan.

Til the End of Time 07-16-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale (Post 52606589)

you seem very angry at people talking about doan coming here. why?

Burgs 07-16-2012 05:45 PM

At the terms stated in the question? Neither. Not Doan because he's getting old and won't be worth anywhere near 6 million once he loses his physical edge. He's been Shanahan-durable throughout his career but has never been the fastest guy and could Guerin on us within 2 years. Not Semin because spending so much on a butter-soft, moody malcontent is asinine. I can't stand him or players like him. 1 year at 5 million tops, until we find a better fit elsewhere.