HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Anthony SanFilippo added to cover PhiladelphiaFlyers.com (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1231721)

dingbathero 07-16-2012 08:58 PM

Anthony SanFilippo added to cover PhiladelphiaFlyers.com

Thought this is thread worthy.

Quote:

In their on-going effort to be a leading team in fan engagement, the Philadelphia Flyers today hired Anthony SanFilippo, a well-known professional hockey writer, to serve as the team's newly established inside reporter for PhiladelphiaFlyers.com.

SanFilippo, who most recently covered the Flyers as a beat writer for the Delaware County Daily Times, will now produce exclusive written and video content, driving Flyers fans to PhiladelphiaFlyers.com as the ultimate destination for Flyers news and information.
article: http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home

Flyers want a social media type liaison: http://twitter.com/AnthonySan37/

GKJ 07-16-2012 09:56 PM

I was wondering what happened because he kind of disappeared and just chimed in on Twitter every now and then. Saw he got this gig yesterday, which should be interesting considering the Flyers technically employ everyone at CSN.

MsWoof 07-16-2012 10:54 PM

He was one of the better ones although the bar in that category is set pretty low. One of his "better" moments was announcing the Coburn extension around free agent frenzy day when it didn't happen. Also, he "wrote" an article on Richards last summer that was basically stolen from Richards' twitter feed. Yup, the bar is set low. He seems to be a nicer person than Carchidi, Panaccio and Bright, though.

ShawnTHW 07-16-2012 11:57 PM

So they passed over Bill Meltzer yet again?

Way to go Flyers....:shakehead

BillDineen 07-17-2012 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 (Post 52618383)

That was my thought exactly when I read it. BM is the best by far.

CS 07-17-2012 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillDineen (Post 52621475)
That was my thought exactly when I read it. BM is the best by far.

SanFilippo was always my second favorite behind Meltzer. Not a bad choice at all, particularly if Meltzer has other commitments.

phillyfanatic 07-17-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 (Post 52618383)

I thought Meltzer was already writing pieces for Philadelphiaflyers.com? He writes pieces on prospects, he writes columns for NHL.com on players playing overseas, he has his hockeybuzz thing (Flyers and Stars). I doubt he wanted to become an "exclusive writer" for philadelphiaflyers.com. No?

dingbathero 07-17-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillyfanatic (Post 52623843)
I thought Meltzer was already writing pieces for Philadelphiaflyers.com? He writes pieces on prospects, he writes columns for NHL.com on players playing overseas, he has his hockeybuzz thing (Flyers and Stars). I doubt he wanted to become an "exclusive writer" for philadelphiaflyers.com. No?

He does write for them...for exaple:
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home

Bill_Meltzer 07-17-2012 09:11 AM

I'm happy for Anthony. He's a good writer, knowledgeable about hockey and a good guy. The job with the Flyers is Anthony's brain child. It came about based on a proposed full-time position that he suggested directly to the Flyers, and the organization agreed that it would be valuable to have him contribute a variety of content on the official site and via twitter.

As for myself, I'm not sure what their plans are for my freelance with the Flyers' site next season. I haven't heard anything one way or another, but that's not unusual in this business. Most of the assignments I do for them come about as a result of the Web site director (at first Kevin Kurz, now Joe Siville) asking if I can do an article on such-and-such and turn it around in the next couple days. Usually it's something alumni or prospect related, but sometimes it's something on the current team. The series of 6 articles I did this past week related to rookie camp came about because Joe was on vacation and Anthony had some other commitments to fulfill prior to starting his new job.

Whatever the case going forward, I enjoy doing it, and I hope the relationship continues on top of what ASF is doing. If not, I know Ant will do a fine job regardless.

dingbathero 07-17-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer (Post 52624913)
I'm happy for Anthony. He's a good writer, knowledgeable about hockey and a good guy. The job with the Flyers is Anthony's brain child. It came about based on a proposed full-time position that he suggested directly to the Flyers, and the organization agreed that it would be valuable to have him contribute a variety of content on the official site and via twitter.

As for myself, I'm not sure what their plans are for my freelance with the Flyers' site next season. I haven't heard anything one way or another, but that's not unusual in this business. Most of the assignments I do for them come about as a result of the Web site director (at first Kevin Kurz, now Joe Siville) asking if I can do an article on such-and-such and turn it around in the next couple days. Usually it's something alumni or prospect related, but sometimes it's something on the current team. The series of 6 articles I did this past week related to rookie camp came about because Joe was on vacation and Anthony had some other commitments to fulfill prior to starting his new job.

Whatever the case going forward, I enjoy doing it, and I hope the relationship continues on top of what ASF is doing. If not, I know Ant will do a fine job regardless.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply/insight about the position and looking forward to your coverage this coming season.

Murphy7 07-17-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoof (Post 52616251)
He was one of the better ones although the bar in that category is set pretty low. One of his "better" moments was announcing the Coburn extension around free agent frenzy day when it didn't happen. Also, he "wrote" an article on Richards last summer that was basically stolen from Richards' twitter feed. Yup, the bar is set low. He seems to be a nicer person than Carchidi, Panaccio and Bright, though.

I'm interested to see who gets the beat for JRC. While Rob Parent is among the 10-best to have been on the beat, that's a lot to ask from an SE. He did well jumping in after whatever was done to ASF (demotion, reassignment, etc.).
If Parent does keep the beat, that's a win for Flyers fans. No offense to ASF, but Parent was very good in the role. Hope his set up allows him to return to form if he keeps the beat.
As for ASF, he might have been among the best of the current crop. Can't fault him on your Twitter citing, as Twitter is a medium of public statements. If you post something on Twitter or Facebook, it is a public statement. You want to say something privately, don't post it on the web in any form or fashion.

Spongolium* 07-17-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer (Post 52624913)

Too much class here Bill. Where is the slanderous comments and chair throwing :D

Gert B Frobe 07-18-2012 11:09 AM

Anthony does a great job if you ask me. I don't recall him ever being overly critical of the Flyers which is kind of hard to do. He certainly doesn't write garbage and rumor focused stories like some of the other clowns in Philly. He's not bad on tv either - doesn't get too nervous or seem like a smug dick at all (the panotch).

I'm guessing he won't be criticizing Holmgren/Snider at all from now on. That's fine with me as I don't much care for that kind of negativity-focused writing in Philly anymore. Guys like Conlin (is he in jail yet?) and his arrogant ilk can all go away IMO.

RJ8812 07-18-2012 11:35 AM

next step is firing Timmy P

MsWoof 07-18-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murphy7 (Post 52628335)
I'm interested to see who gets the beat for JRC. While Rob Parent is among the 10-best to have been on the beat, that's a lot to ask from an SE. He did well jumping in after whatever was done to ASF (demotion, reassignment, etc.).
If Parent does keep the beat, that's a win for Flyers fans. No offense to ASF, but Parent was very good in the role. Hope his set up allows him to return to form if he keeps the beat.
As for ASF, he might have been among the best of the current crop. Can't fault him on your Twitter citing, as Twitter is a medium of public statements. If you post something on Twitter or Facebook, it is a public statement. You want to say something privately, don't post it on the web in any form or fashion.

It wasn't that he cited twitter, he wrote the article in a way that made it sound like he got the info directly from the player.

Murphy7 07-19-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoof (Post 52668789)
It wasn't that he cited twitter, he wrote the article in a way that made it sound like he got the info directly from the player.

Sorry. Don't remember that. I'm sure it happened. Could have been a cut in the editing process, though.
And, speaking of our new insider ... WHERE'S THE SHEA WEBER INFO???? That stinks for him. His first week on the job and he got scooped by someone in another country (Dreger broke this, right?). He can't be too happy right now with his new bosses. I'd be ticked if I was in his shoes.

dingbathero 07-19-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murphy7 (Post 52698115)
Sorry. Don't remember that. I'm sure it happened. Could have been a cut in the editing process, though.
And, speaking of our new insider ... WHERE'S THE SHEA WEBER INFO???? That stinks for him. His first week on the job and he got scooped by someone in another country (Dreger broke this, right?). He can't be too happy right now with his new bosses. I'd be ticked if I was in his shoes.

He and Friedman (sp?) are some of the BEST in the hockey world. Always have their finger on the pulse of dealings.

MsWoof 07-19-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murphy7 (Post 52698115)

I remember it clearly because he said something about Richards walking his dogs as in multiple. He only has 1 dog but he posted pictures of another dog with his dog. He took a few other things that were all in Richards' timeline on twitter and wrote about it like it was part of an interview with him.

The Weber thing happened after midnight so I will cut them some slack there. I guess Weber is in BC for the summer because it was just past 9 out there. Mind you, Dreger broke the story while on holidays so he's still working while vacationing.

Murphy7 07-19-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingbathero (Post 52702007)
He and Friedman (sp?) are some of the BEST in the hockey world. Always have their finger on the pulse of dealings.

Elliotte is awesome as a reporter and a person. Dreger is definitely among the best and always carries himself as a pro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoof (Post 52702695)
I remember it clearly because he said something about Richards walking his dogs as in multiple. He only has 1 dog but he posted pictures of another dog with his dog. He took a few other things that were all in Richards' timeline on twitter and wrote about it like it was part of an interview with him.

The Weber thing happened after midnight so I will cut them some slack there. I guess Weber is in BC for the summer because it was just past 9 out there. Mind you, Dreger broke the story while on holidays so he's still working while vacationing.

A lot of hockey writers posted they either were awakened by the news, or put aside their pillows to post something. I don't expect ASF to cal Homer at midnight to ask if something's up, but the Flyers touted him as their new "insider" and they didn't let him break the first big story to come along with him on the payroll. That, to me, doesn't bode well for ASF if his position is to be more than a freelance writer such as Meltzer was/is.
The Richards story, if I was running ASF's ship, I might ask what happened if there were factual errors. He might have backgrounded with Richards' timeline and made some inquiries based on it during the interview. Richards might have even told he something like, "I'm sorry I missed your call. I was walking the dogs," leading him to believe Richie had more than one. Can't say for sure.
Considering a higher up at ESPN.com is involved in a plagiarism scandal and that website was caught using a fake columnist just a couple of months back, as well as a fake interview recently, a reporter having a minor error or two in a story happens. You just hope the reporting/backgrounding was of the proper ilk. Sometimes a good reporter can find and develop bad info into a story. You just pray, when your byline is on it, that it doesn't happen to you.

ADD: Dreger says Preds learned of offer sheet Wednesday morning. Somebody in the Flyers org. should have told ASF.