HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: TJ Brennan, Nick Tarnasky sign (1 year) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1231933)

vcv 07-17-2012 09:47 AM

TJ Brennan, Nick Tarnasky sign (1 year)
 
Quote:

The Sabres have agreed to terms with forward Nick Tarnasky and defenseman TJ Brennan on one-year contracts. Now back to summer.
per John Vogl (https://twitter.com/BuffNewsVogl/sta...39973002084354)

vcv 07-17-2012 09:49 AM

Nick Tarnasky: Another center (from what I can see) with NHL experience. 28 years old, 245 NHL games.

Doesn't seem like much of a scorer at any level. Lots of PIMs.

Zman5778 07-17-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcv (Post 52626947)
Nick Tarnasky: Another center (from what I can see) with NHL experience. 28 years old, 245 NHL games.

Doesn't seem like much of a scorer at any level. Lots of PIMs.


4th-line center candidate?

vcv 07-17-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zman5778 (Post 52626989)
4th-line center candidate?

We already have McCormick and Ellis, I don't see this guy being much better of an option.

SackTastic 07-17-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zman5778 (Post 52626989)
4th-line center candidate?

Rochester.

SabresAreScaryGood 07-17-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcv (Post 52627005)
We already have McCormick and Ellis, I don't see this guy being much better of an option.

Isnt McCormick's head messed up though?

sabrefan27 07-17-2012 09:55 AM

Well. That's a disappointment.

Zman5778 07-17-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrefan27 (Post 52627123)
Well. That's a disappointment.

Don't you guys need another enforcer/tough-guy type in Rochester?

Or am I forgetting someone that you guys already have?

sabrefan27 07-17-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zman5778 (Post 52627149)
Don't you guys need another enforcer/tough-guy type in Rochester?

Or am I forgetting someone that you guys already have?

No, the Amerks need goal scoring. They don't have a lot of toughness, but Finley can handle pretty much anyone.

Zman5778 07-17-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrefan27 (Post 52627187)
No, the Amerks need goal scoring. They don't have a lot of toughness, but Finley can handle pretty much anyone.

I'm sure this doesn't rule out another scorer or two for Rochester.

Zip15 07-17-2012 09:57 AM

Were these the "couple" signings for Rochester? I mean, Brennan is an excellent scorer from the blueline at that level, but I had already included him on their Opening Night roster. It'd be disappointing if these were the signings Darcy alluded to.

Chainshot 07-17-2012 09:58 AM

Tarnasky should be a pretty solid gunner for the Amerks. And yes, they still need scoring/offense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip15 (Post 52627207)
Were these the "couple" signings for Rochester? I mean, Brennan is an excellent scorer from the blueline at that level, but I had already included him on their Opening Night roster. It'd be disappointing if these were the signings Darcy alluded to.


Agreed. They needed some beef up front but they need someone who can score too. Hope he's still working the phones.

99 fights since turning pro (including 7 last year in the KHL). We know what Tarnasky is around for.

DixonWard15 07-17-2012 10:12 AM

I'm glad they resigned Brennan for another year of development in Rochester

SabresBillsBuffalo 07-17-2012 10:19 AM

what is going on.......?

DixonWard15 07-17-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabrefan27 (Post 52627187)
No, the Amerks need goal scoring. They don't have a lot of toughness, but Finley can handle pretty much anyone.

Finley can handle anyone but we want him playing as a top defensemen and you can't do that in the box. We needed some more toughness up front, Turnbull isn't enough.

sabrefan27 07-17-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DixonWard15 (Post 52627851)
Finley can handle anyone but we want him playing as a top defensemen and you can't do that in the box. We needed some more toughness up front, Turnbull isn't enough.

Turnbull isn't even signed. The only way I'm OK with this if they have more signings to come that actually contribute offensively.

BalticWarrior 07-17-2012 10:24 AM

Tarnasky was such a goon in the KHL,not a good signing for buffalo.

Sabretip 07-17-2012 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcv (Post 52626947)
Nick Tarnasky: Another center (from what I can see) with NHL experience. 28 years old, 245 NHL games.

Doesn't seem like much of a scorer at any level. Lots of PIMs.

Curious that he hasn't played an NHL game in 2 years, with stints in the ECHL and KHL since then. I remember his name as a 4th line grinder with the Lightning several years ago.

With Whitmore not likely being re-signed, Stuart still unsigned and Sczezchura and Ryan already gone, Regier obviously needed to replenish some of the forward depth in Rochester with Porter, Mancari and now Tarnasky.

Sabretip 07-17-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helo (Post 52627983)
Tarnasky was such a goon in the KHL,not a good signing for buffalo.

173 PIMs in only 36 GP in the KHL, preceded by 150 PIMs in 66 GP the year before in the AHL, sure backs that assessment up....but if you look over his prior career, he wasn't as often a penalty-box visitor.

As for being a "good signing", how is this signing any different from the Sabres' signing of Scott? Both are one-dimensional additions, brought in for toughness alone. Maybe the Sabres are going a bit overboard in making sure they have enough options in the organization to stand up to any intimidation i.e. the Lucic incident but that seems exactly what most Sabre fans have argued as being a deficit for the past 4-5 years since the NHL went away from skill & finesse.

Sabretip 07-17-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DixonWard15 (Post 52627605)
I'm glad they resigned Brennan for another year of development in Rochester

Assuming you're not being sarcastic, I agree - Brennan looked reasonably solid in his few NHL call-ups and is still young enough to hold onto for more seasoning, especially with over-30 guys like Regehr and Leopold heading into the final years of their contracts.

WhoIsJimBob 07-17-2012 10:37 AM

Tarnasky has 3 goals in 5 career games as an Amerk. Perhaps they are signing him as a goalscoring vet?

:sarcasm:

barcs 07-17-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretip (Post 52628241)
173 PIMs in only 36 GP in the KHL, preceded by 150 PIMs in 66 GP the year before in the AHL, sure backs that assessment up....but if you look over his prior career, he wasn't as often a penalty-box visitor.

As for being a "good signing", how is this signing any different from the Sabres' signing of Scott? Both are one-dimensional additions, brought in for toughness alone. Maybe the Sabres are going a bit overboard in making sure they have enough options in the organization to stand up to any intimidation i.e. the Lucic incident but that seems exactly what most Sabre fans have argued as being a deficit for the past 4-5 years since the NHL went away from skill & finesse.

I know he played on the team with Kip Brennan, Jon Mirasty and Jablonski when they basically skated around sucker punching guys for an entire period in the KHL last season.. not sure if Tarnasky was part of it. Tough dude though.

BalticWarrior 07-17-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabretip (Post 52628241)
173 PIMs in only 36 GP in the KHL, preceded by 150 PIMs in 66 GP the year before in the AHL, sure backs that assessment up....but if you look over his prior career, he wasn't as often a penalty-box visitor.

As for being a "good signing", how is this signing any different from the Sabres' signing of Scott? Both are one-dimensional additions, brought in for toughness alone. Maybe the Sabres are going a bit overboard in making sure they have enough options in the organization to stand up to any intimidation i.e. the Lucic incident but that seems exactly what most Sabre fans have argued as being a deficit for the past 4-5 years since the NHL went away from skill & finesse.

Ive seen him numerous times playing in the KHL with his pathetic Vityaz buddies doing cheaps shots,attacking weaker players,hitting goalies etc.

jBuds 07-17-2012 10:49 AM

Another body for Rochester in Tarnasky. Stop complaining. We could use more scoring, that's no secret, but I like the infusion of meanness into the organization. How can you not?

DixonWard15 07-17-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helo (Post 52628449)
Ive seen him numerous times playing in the KHL with his pathetic Vityaz buddies doing cheaps shots,attacking weaker players,hitting goalies etc.

The Amerks were missing that element last year, sounds like a good addition to me.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.