HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Kings News: Kings Re-Sign Hickey, Muzzin, Legein, Meckler (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1232069)

Ziggy Stardust 07-17-2012 02:56 PM

Kings Re-Sign Hickey, Muzzin, Legein, Meckler

http://twitter.com/helenenothelen/st...02594870972419
Quote:

Kings sign Hickey, Muzzin, Legein and Meckler
Guessing they all agreed to their qualifying offers.

The Black1963 07-17-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 52635995)
http://twitter.com/helenenothelen/st...02594870972419

Guessing they all agreed to their qualifying offers.

I hope this is the year Hickey makes it to the nhl.

tigermask48 07-17-2012 03:15 PM

Still cannot believe Meckler was resigned...

The Black1963 07-17-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigermask48 (Post 52636669)
Still cannot believe Meckler was resigned...

That just goes to show how depleted we are at LW.

Ziggy Stardust 07-17-2012 03:31 PM

The Monarchs are pretty much set for the upcoming season.

Cliche-Loktionov-Kozun
Czarnik-Vey-Toffoli
Meckler-Weal-O'Neill
Clune-Andreoff-Legein
Johnson

Campbell-Hickey
Muzzin-Deslauriers
Bodnarchuk-Kolomatis

Jones-Berube

That doesn't include recent draft picks who may compete for spots in Manchester, which includes Tanner Pearson, Nikolai Prokhorkin, and Colin Miller.

markisonfire 07-17-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 52637291)
The Monarchs are pretty much set for the upcoming season.

Cliche-Loktionov-Kozun
Czarnik-Vey-Toffoli
Meckler-Weal-O'Neill
Clune-Andreoff-Legein
Johnson

Campbell-Hickey
Muzzin-Deslauriers
Bodnarchuk-Kolomatis

Jones-Berube

That doesn't include recent draft picks who may compete for spots in Manchester, which includes Tanner Pearson, Nikolai Prokhorkin, and Colin Miller.

Those top two lines are really solid. I like our second pairing a lot as well.

Telos 07-17-2012 03:52 PM

We have a crazy RFA list next summer: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3#post19246913

Pucknut50 07-17-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black1963 (Post 52636211)
I hope this is the year Hickey makes it to the nhl.

If Martinez or Voynov get hurt Hickey could be recalled. Any other D man goes down it is probably Drewiske.

kingsfan 07-17-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telos (Post 52638051)
We have a crazy RFA list next summer: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...3#post19246913

Not really. Outside of Martinez and Voynov, how many project to get much of a raise at all? Some won't be retained while others will likely just resign with a qualifier, or be traded away.

Guys like Clifford, Nolan, etc. are the types DL is great at locking in for 2-3 years at solid cap hits (such as Martinez and King).

As for the four guys we just resigned, I'm mostly interested in Hickey. To say this camp is huge is a massive understatement. I expect he'll make the team as a 7th D-man and we'll see Drewiske on waivers and likely to end up in Manchester unless someone picks him up, which I doubt (he could be claimed mid-season, but with the volume of players on waivers at camp, I bet he slides through).

The other three are almost guaranteed to be in Manchester. Will be interesting to see how Muzzin does as well.

kingsfan 07-17-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pucknut50 (Post 52638337)
If Martinez or Voynov get hurt Hickey could be recalled. Any other D man goes down it is probably Drewiske.

Hickey would have to clear waivers to go to Manchester this year. I doubt he would. His high draft status alone would likely see a team thin on D give him a try.

The Black1963 07-17-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan (Post 52638431)
Not really. Outside of Martinez and Voynov, how many project to get much of a raise at all? Some won't be retained while others will likely just resign with a qualifier, or be traded away.

Guys like Clifford, Nolan, etc. are the types DL is great at locking in for 2-3 years at solid cap hits (such as Martinez and King).

As for the four guys we just resigned, I'm mostly interested in Hickey. To say this camp is huge is a massive understatement. I expect he'll make the team as a 7th D-man and we'll see Drewiske on waivers and likely to end up in Manchester unless someone picks him up, which I doubt (he could be claimed mid-season, but with the volume of players on waivers at camp, I bet he slides through).

The other three are almost guaranteed to be in Manchester. Will be interesting to see how Muzzin does as well.

Don't dismiss the notion of Martinez possibly getting traded. Although, still early in his nhl career, AM has value as a top 4 dman. Such a move can help Hickey land a spot alongside Greene. Hickey much like AM also shoots left.

Ziggy Stardust 07-17-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black1963 (Post 52638863)
Don't dismiss the notion of Martinez possibly getting traded. Although, still early in his nhl career, AM has value as a top 4 dman. Such a move can help Hickey land a spot alongside Greene. Hickey much like AM also shoots left.

Why move Martinez? He's proven he can play in the NHL whereas Hickey hasn't. Makes zero sense to move Martinez unless Hickey proves he is ready. Otherwise, Hickey is the odd man out.

Herby 07-17-2012 05:23 PM

Pearson is either making the Kings or playing in the AHL, and should be one of our best prospect down there.

First round picks don't go to the ECHL or back to juniors to play as an OA player.

Flour Child 07-17-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black1963 (Post 52638863)

Why not just trade Hickey then?

etherialone 07-17-2012 06:47 PM

Muzzin and Hickey are neck and neck as far as our D depth/next call up kids are concerned. Muzzin should be our next replacement (Scuds up next year) but I know that Hickey is going to be an NHLer, always have.

Ziggy Stardust 07-17-2012 08:45 PM

Looks like Ron Hextall and the Kings have another coaching vacancy to fill as Scott Pellerin, who was an assistant coach in Manchester, was hired as an assistant by the Islanders.
http://twitter.com/NaokoFunayama/sta...83566010351618
Quote:

WMUR-TV reporting NY Islanders have hired former UMaine-r Scott Pellerin as head coach of AHL Bridgeport. Was asst coach of Manch Monarchs.

johnjm22 07-17-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonellisghost (Post 52643823)
Muzzin and Hickey are neck and neck as far as our D depth/next call up kids are concerned. Muzzin should be our next replacement (Scuds up next year) but I know that Hickey is going to be an NHLer, always have.

I would rather just resign Scuderi.

Ziggy Stardust 07-17-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjm22 (Post 52647789)
I would rather just resign Scuderi.

Agreed. Muzzin hasn't shown anything to prove that he is ready to step in and replace Scuderi's minutes and role. I'd rather see the Kings lock up Scuderi for another 2-3 years. He's 33, he's always durable and healthy, and he's always dependable. Scuderi still has quite a few years of hockey left in him. I could see him playing up until his late 30s.

tsanuri 07-17-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan (Post 52638685)
Hickey would have to clear waivers to go to Manchester this year. I doubt he would. His high draft status alone would likely see a team thin on D give him a try.

Shouldn't have to if he was called up on an emergency recall due to injury. Which was kind of what was mentioned. But for that to happen we would have to have 2 dmen go down since I am sure we will carry DD2 as the 7th d and you have to be at 5 for emergency recall to work.

Sydor25 07-17-2012 11:57 PM

With Dean re-signing Hickey and Muzzin, I guess this will be their last shot to beat Drewiske for the #7 spot on the Kings. None of them are waiver exempt. I would think that Muzzin and Hickey would get picked up by someone, maybe even Drewiske.

Strange that he would re-sign them both knowing that the Kings could lose them to waivers. I guess it doesn't hurt to have the competition in camp. :dunno:

tsanuri 07-18-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsfan (Post 52638431)

Highly doubt that Hickey will end up being the 7th dman carried. It is much more important for his continued development to say in Manchester and play over being on the big team and sitting.

But this is such a nice place to be as a kings fan talking about prospects and slowly developing them over rushing them in.

BallPointHammer 07-18-2012 12:19 AM

I think most of these guys pass through waivers easier than you might think. Throughout the league how many notable players per year change teams due to waivers. Besides, don't the GMs try not to "step on any toes" with waivers so as to not start an endless shuffle of players who aren't really much that much different from each other.

KingCanadain1976 07-18-2012 12:31 AM

I'm happy hickey signed id like to see him make the team or at least get a few games this year. I see some sorta bottom pair rotation giving martinez hickey and greene a few games off every now and then

Flour Child 07-18-2012 12:58 AM

Is it time to trade some depth? One of Hickey or Drewiske has to go

Sydor25 07-18-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallPointHammer (Post 52654559)
I think most of these guys pass through waivers easier than you might think. Throughout the league how many notable players per year change teams due to waivers. Besides, don't the GMs try not to "step on any toes" with waivers so as to not start an endless shuffle of players who aren't really much that much different from each other.

You could be right, but what if a team loses a couple of players to injury during the pre-season and could use a depth defenseman? Hickey and Muzzin have been in the Kings system for years and the Kings just won the Stanley Cup, they may be viewed as solid prospects to take a chance on by other GMs and they are on 1 year deals.

It will depend on how many teams are looking for a #7 defenseman when the are waived by the Kings.

I don't believe that GMs have any issues with using waivers to round out their depth. Kings picked up Quincey from Detroit and he is now back with Detroit after going through Colorado. :laugh:

Grabner was also picked up by the Islanders, not a bad waiver pickup. ;)

Again, all three could make it through waivers if nobody is looking for a #7 defenseman when they are waived during camp. :dunno: