HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Petr Sykora (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1232213)

SJSharks39 07-17-2012 06:52 PM

Petr Sykora

What would you think of the Sharks signing Petr Sykora? He's not a bad player and would provide a veteran presence and would help with the secondary scoring problem. He's also got a couple rings to go along with that. Just wondering what you would think.

KirbyDots 07-17-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Awesomeaaron16 (Post 52645899)
What would you think of the Sharks signing Petr Sykora? He's not a bad player and would provide a veteran presence and would help with the secondary scoring problem. He's also got a couple rings to go along with that. Just wondering what you would think.

I think Sykora would be fine as long as there is another forward on the way as well. He did great with NJ this past season but I don't think he alone would be enough.

RainbowDash 07-17-2012 07:05 PM

He would be ok, but it all depends on term/caphit

param 07-17-2012 07:41 PM

If he comes at 1mil/1yr, it wouldn't be the end of the world. But, his playoff performance was a bit worrisome. Only recorded five points in 18 games, and started getting scratched in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

ScottyDont 07-17-2012 08:13 PM

Id rather have Sykora at 2.5mil then Handzus at 2.5...

Nighthock 07-17-2012 08:44 PM

I'd prefer someone who could grind a little too

sub_zero94 07-17-2012 09:01 PM

the Sharks need speed/size on the wing

SJeasy 07-17-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

The Sharks are one of the oldest teams in the league. Why do they need more veteran presence? (Maybe the owners have stock in a walker or wheelchair company?)

param 07-17-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJeasy (Post 52651535)
The Sharks are one of the oldest teams in the league. Why do they need more veteran presence? (Maybe the owners have stock in a walker or wheelchair company?)

So that's why the Sharks want Mike Modano!

thrillermiller89 07-17-2012 10:32 PM

I wouldnt mind it. He proved he can still score and he still brings good speed. For the right price, I'd bring him in on a one year deal.

WineShark 07-17-2012 11:11 PM

If I were going to do it, I would prefer to have him as an invitee. My guess is he will get picked up before he comes to that though.

There is no question we need someone who can play a tweener role between the 2nd and 3rd lines, and he could fill that role playing a LW on the 3rd line primarily. But I'm not sure that Wingles and Sykora would have enough size or speed to make an effective line combination. Anyone playing with Sykora on the third line will need to be a good defender to support his offense and I don't think we have the right complimentary pieces to make that work.

KirbyDots 07-17-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WineShark (Post 52654371)
If I were going to do it, I would prefer to have him as an invitee. My guess is he will get picked up before he comes to that though.

There is no question we need someone who can play a tweener role between the 2nd and 3rd lines, and he could fill that role playing a LW on the 3rd line primarily. But I'm not sure that Wingles and Sykora would have enough size or speed to make an effective line combination. Anyone playing with Sykora on the third line will need to be a good defender to support his offense and I don't think we have the right complimentary pieces to make that work.

Sure we do, Sıkora Pavs Wingels, then we get another top 6 winger to play with Jumbo. Boom.

SJeasy 07-18-2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WineShark (Post 52654371)

Wingels is fine on speed, maybe not quite on size but close. Sykora is almost pure sniper (F3).

JayP812 07-18-2012 01:15 AM

I like him, but he's too old. I would rather have someone who fits into our long-term plans.

TheJuxtaposer 07-18-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJeasy (Post 52656633)
Wingels is fine on speed, maybe not quite on size but close. Sykora is almost pure sniper (F3).

Wingels may be smaller, but he plays much bigger than his size.

VP and GM 07-18-2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

I think he'd be fine also, if
- we had another winger that's younger, faster and a sure point producer
- low cap or 1-2M as we just won't have the room, see ^
- only as a last resort case we can get a younger, faster player with a few rights years, etc.

one2gamble 07-18-2012 09:04 AM

The Sharks need more younger guys with some god damn cocky attitudes on the ice. Not older guys with "presence"

Nighthock 07-18-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayP812 (Post 52656735)
I like him, but he's too old. I would rather have someone who fits into our long-term plans.

The plan is to win now. 35 is not too old for this current team. I'm just worried he's too soft ...

SJeasy 07-18-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nighthock (Post 52663353)
The plan is to win now. 35 is not too old for this current team. I'm just worried he's too soft ...

If you plan on winning, check the age of the forward corps of recent winners. They are not oldsters to the degree that the Sharks are, especially at the very top of the corps.

Kitten Mittons 07-18-2012 12:59 PM

Correlation =/= causation.

Also when you exclude Handzus, our oldest forwards are 33 years old, one being one of the fastest players in the NHL, while the other a future Hall of Famer.

KirbyDots 07-18-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJeasy (Post 52667923)
If you plan on winning, check the age of the forward corps of recent winners. They are not oldsters to the degree that the Sharks are, especially at the very top of the corps.

The Sharks average age this past season was 28.176. If you look at the recent cup winners only the Kings and the Blackhawks are younger teams, at 26.89 and 26.868 respectively. The Devils who made the all the way to the cup finals were the oldest team in the league at 29.34 and the Bruins who one it last year have an average age of 28.41. Penguins and Red Wings are both older than we are and the Canucks are about the same age. I think this stat is slightly overrated.

I would be fine with Sykora, but again as I said earlier I don't think he'd be the solution to our problems alone. If we sign him I would prefer than we also go after a young fast tweener to play with Jumbo, or a top 6 if DW can swing it.

OrrNumber4 07-18-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KirbyDots (Post 52668857)
The Sharks average age this past season was 28.176. If you look at the recent cup winners only the Kings and the Blackhawks are younger teams, at 26.89 and 26.868 respectively. The Devils who made the all the way to the cup finals were the oldest team in the league at 29.34 and the Bruins who one it last year have an average age of 28.41. Penguins and Red Wings are both older than we are and the Canucks are about the same age. I think this stat is slightly overrated.

I would be fine with Sykora, but again as I said earlier I don't think he'd be the solution to our problems alone. If we sign him I would prefer than we also go after a young fast tweener to play with Jumbo, or a top 6 if DW can swing it.

Statisticianed!

Though to be fair, SJeasy was talking about forwards, not all players, and top players, not role players.

HOOCH2173 07-18-2012 01:40 PM

I loved when Peter sang the Glory of Love... Oh wait you mean Sykora not Cetara! :p

Dan K211 07-18-2012 01:56 PM

How about Kristian Huselius? Soft as warm butter and fragile as 1 ply toilet paper, but is skilled enough to play in a top 6 role and shouldn't be expensive. to sign.

SJeasy 07-18-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superroyain10 (Post 52669953)
Statisticianed!

Though to be fair, SJeasy was talking about forwards, not all players, and top players, not role players.

Yes I am talking about top 6's and especially top playoff scorers.

Age does tend to help cup winning d corps although there are some dramatic exceptions.

Sorry I didn't make it even more clear about where age is OK and not so much.