HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Speculation: Demers next deal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1232863)

FeedingFrenzy 07-18-2012 10:43 PM

Demers next deal

When does DW ink a new deal with Demers? My hope is DW takes a small gamble and signs Demers before the season starts, somewhere in the neighborhood 3yrs/6mil. Even if Demers has an avg season, 2mil a yr for a PMD with his upside would be a steal imo and if things didnt work out makes for a very tradeable contract. If DW waits till end of season it may wind up costing alot more.Roll the dice DW!!!!:handclap: Burns,Vlasic,Stuart,Braun,Demers all locked up for 3+ years on Sweet deals.

TheJuxtaposer 07-18-2012 10:45 PM

Give him the same deal Braun just got, please? It'd be a major steal if DW could pull that off.

Pinkfloyd 07-18-2012 10:46 PM

There's no reason to re-sign Demers at this point from either side. Demers is not likely to accept what would be offered after coming off the season he had. Wilson is not likely to put out an offer because there's no guarantee that Demers will do any better considering the situation isn't changing with regards to personnel. He will play a healthy chunk of games but not likely all of them and not be much beyond the 3rd pairing given the people the team has right now. Plus, the whole thing with the CBA and it's probably better for both sides to see what it looks like before signing and potentially rolling back salaries afterwards.

dwood16 07-18-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy (Post 52688783)
When does DW ink a new deal with Demers? My hope is DW takes a small gamble and signs Demers before the season starts, somewhere in the neighborhood 3yrs/6mil. Even if Demers has an avg season, 2mil a yr for a PMD with his upside would be a steal imo and if things didnt work out makes for a very tradeable contract. If DW waits till end of season it may wind up costing alot more.Roll the dice DW!!!!:handclap: Burns,Vlasic,Stuart,Braun,Demers all locked up for 3+ years on Sweet deals.

This is smart imo. I'd do that deal. It would save us a ton of cash if he ends up having a good year... which is way more of a possibility with Big Bird around. Not to mention it will be his 3rd season (I think) which means a lot because he seems to have suffered the ol sophomore slump and should be WAY better next season.

sjshrky27 07-18-2012 10:52 PM

Demers next deal will be when he and a few other are shipped out for Nash.:sarcasm:

Iron Chef 07-18-2012 10:54 PM

I'd say a Braun contract is fine

sharski 07-18-2012 10:54 PM

whatever it is, it will include a NMC

Kitten Mittons 07-18-2012 11:02 PM

DW won't extend him until next year. Assuming Demers bounces back, he'll probably earn ~$2.5m. Or maybe get traded if Braun outperforms him.

Barrie22 07-19-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd (Post 52688853)
There's no reason to re-sign Demers at this point from either side. Demers is not likely to accept what would be offered after coming off the season he had. Wilson is not likely to put out an offer because there's no guarantee that Demers will do any better considering the situation isn't changing with regards to personnel. He will play a healthy chunk of games but not likely all of them and not be much beyond the 3rd pairing given the people the team has right now. Plus, the whole thing with the CBA and it's probably better for both sides to see what it looks like before signing and potentially rolling back salaries afterwards.

Agree with this, demers is nothing more then a glorified 3rd pairing, 7th D

TheJuxtaposer 07-19-2012 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie22 (Post 52695765)

Clearly you didn't watch the guy in 10-11. He was freakin' amazing.

Hatrick Marleau 07-19-2012 01:43 AM

Quote:

We will cross this bridge when it comes.:):sarcasm:

freddypuck 07-19-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Demers was better than Vlasic a yr ago so give me a break

Barrie22 07-19-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctord (Post 52705105)
Demers was better than Vlasic a yr ago so give me a break

And as we stand today in the year 2012, he's a 3rd pairing 7th defensemen on the sharks.

AnderFunk 07-19-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Last season, yes.
The season before, I'd disagree.

do0glas 07-19-2012 09:47 AM

since he almost played 20 less games this season than last, arguably he couldve had a better points total. but hes RFA next year, not UFA, and if we give him the standard raise with a good term hes likely to take it. not really worried about this.

but you need to extend a QO to someone like him who could have a breakout year next year. tmac had a love interest in C.White and likely didnt need to scratch demers so much. he gets the benefit of the doubt right now because right now hes competing with murray for a spot. expecting a better season from him.

Le Rosbeef 07-19-2012 12:14 PM

Demers doesn't get a sniff at a contract unless one side of the party bottles it.

Demers can't pick up a big contract on his potential as he took a step backwards last year. He wouldn't sign an extension unless Wilson overpays. He could get more with a better season this time around.

Wilson won't sign Demers to an extension unless he gets him under the market rate. No need to lock him down after reality bit last year. Wilson holds the aces in this deck, Jason will have to win some back with strong play this year.

Then, of course, there's Matt Irwin. That won't help Demers one bit by season's end... he needs to either buy low or step up.

Barrie22 07-19-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnderFunk (Post 52706867)
Last season, yes.
The season before, I'd disagree.

and i would agree with this, but people on this board like to live in the past way to much. and forget about the stuff that just happened.

even if demers reaches his potential this year on this sharks team, the highest he will climb on the depth charts is 3rd pairing, #5.

i see no way that on this team, that demers will bump stuart, burns, boyle, vlasic from the top 4. so no matter what he will be a 3rd pairing defensemen.

Pinkfloyd 07-19-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie22 (Post 52715915)
and i would agree with this, but people on this board like to live in the past way to much. and forget about the stuff that just happened.

even if demers reaches his potential this year on this sharks team, the highest he will climb on the depth charts is 3rd pairing, #5.

i see no way that on this team, that demers will bump stuart, burns, boyle, vlasic from the top 4. so no matter what he will be a 3rd pairing defensemen.

You never know. Maybe they move Murray or even Boyle for help up front. That opens the doors for both Braun and Demers beyond the 3rd pairing.

VP and GM 07-19-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

He did play well enough last season to get extended this off season, so his next contract depends on his play this up coming season. Hard to say what he gets in his next contract as his play during his NHL tenure has not been consistent. I'd say anywhere from 1.7m - 3.75m depending on his play this season.

SJeasy 07-19-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie22 (Post 52715915)

Barring a significant injury in the top 4.

From past guys on other teams, players in Demers situation are trade bait or re-signed to low value contracts. If he were going UFA, he would not be retained because he would only get 3rd pairing money (<$2mil).

FeedingFrenzy 07-19-2012 03:47 PM

So after reading these posts i still cant fathom why some of you wouldnt lock up a young PMD who has shown #3/4 Dman potential. And who is a very good 5/6 right now. If Demers returns to form and progresses like we know he can:nod:, why pay more $ in a year if he really does bust out.Lock him up for 3yrs/6mil. Give him the security and small raise. Its really a no brainer imo. The RISK is minimal, the reward HUGE.

Pinkfloyd 07-19-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy (Post 52726541)
So after reading these posts i still cant fathom why some of you wouldnt lock up a young PMD who has shown #3/4 Dman potential. And who is a very good 5/6 right now. If Demers returns to form and progresses like we know he can:nod:, why pay more $ in a year if he really does bust out.Lock him up for 3yrs/6mil. Give him the security and small raise. Its really a no brainer imo. The RISK is minimal, the reward HUGE.

Because DW is not that kind of guy. RFA's after a bad year are given opportunities to get that big contract rather than locking them up.

TheJuxtaposer 07-19-2012 04:08 PM

As a side note, I hope Demers is working out a ton this summer. I think he was carrying a little extra weight after last summer. Hopefully this past year was a bit of a reality check; he knows how good he can be, but now he also knows that he has to work his ass off to stay at that level.

NWShark* 07-19-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy (Post 52726541)

You're missing the point. Why would demers agree to a low contract right now when his bargaining power is at it's lowest. If he believes he's capable of playing at a higher level he won't sign anything until he absolutely has to.

FeedingFrenzy 07-19-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWShark (Post 52727589)
You're missing the point. Why would demers agree to a low contract right now when his bargaining power is at it's lowest. If he believes he's capable of playing at a higher level he won't sign anything until he absolutely has to.

I disagree. My point is DW has Demers where he wants him. Demers could wait it out and see what happens come next July(RFA) if he so chooses. I feel Demers would take a 3yr deal now with slight raise. Demers will be playing mostly #5 dman so i dont think he will be having grand illusions as to him becoming a $3mil Dman in the next 11 months(or as you put it a higher lvl). Besides DW doesnt like his RFA's going till the end..Mark my words Demers will have a new deal by season start.