HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Thank God the CBA expires (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1233115)

zico20 07-19-2012 10:56 AM

Thank God the CBA expires

Assuming Nashville matches the offer sheet for Weber, can you imagine if the CBA went another year and Petro puts up 60 points and wins the Norris or is a finalist? I could see Philly or someone else offering an insane contract to Petro who would only be 23 at this time next year. Try 17 years and 125 million with most of it in the first 6 years like Philly just did. Webers contract is for 13-14 million a year for 6 straight years.

The new CBA will limit contract lengths and also stop the front loading that would kill small market teams. Looks like a great move now that we sent Petro back to juniors that second year or he would be an RFA right now. If Philly would have lost out on Weber they would be getting ready right now to go to plan B which would be Petro.

So Blues fans, if Petro was offered that contract right now, do you think the Blues would match it. I dont think they would.

SirPaste 07-19-2012 11:43 AM

Blues would have had him signed before he was eligible for an offer sheet

Alklha 07-19-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPaste (Post 52713673)
Blues would have had him signed before he was eligible for an offer sheet

This.

If he was to sign that kind of offersheet, then there is no way the Blues would be in a position to match. He would only do that if he wanted to force his way out, and I don't think we have anything to worry about there.

Having said that, I'm an advocate for giving Pietrangelo a career deal now and getting it out of the way. It sends the right message to everyone.

Boyesfan 07-19-2012 12:05 PM

I actually don't have a problem for life long contracts IF (and I put extra emphasis on the if part) the player is still an RFA. I would love to see the blues offer petro a contract now thats 10 years long and a cap hit in the 6's.. But I could be dreaming..

SirPaste 07-19-2012 12:23 PM

Also I can't wait to see the rediculous offer sheet Nashville throws at Schenn and Courterier in a couple years

bleedblue1223 07-19-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirPaste (Post 52715881)
Also I can't wait to see the rediculous offer sheet Nashville throws at Schenn and Courterier in a couple years

They might as well just throw something at Voracek. Even an inflated 1 year deal just to screw with them.

Alklha 07-19-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boyesfan (Post 52714925)
I actually don't have a problem for life long contracts IF (and I put extra emphasis on the if part) the player is still an RFA. I would love to see the blues offer petro a contract now thats 10 years long and a cap hit in the 6's.. But I could be dreaming..

The only issue I have with the long contracts is that many are clearly to circumvent the cap. The new CBA shouldn't put any limit on the length of contracts, but it should make the $ amount of each year be the caphit. If teams want to get inventive with how they structure deals, then fine.

I think a 10 year deal might be a bit of an issue for Pietrangelo. It will either be 6/7 or 13+, with the former being by far the most likely.

ChicagoBlues 07-20-2012 05:34 PM

Not sure that **d has anything to do with it :help:, but that salaries were allowed to once again balloon to unsustainable levels is a sad and pathetic reflection of our current sad and pathetic financial culture.

JustOneB4IDie 07-21-2012 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 (Post 52716161)
They might as well just throw something at Voracek. Even an inflated 1 year deal just to screw with them.

Like the 'note did signing RFA at the time Bernier to a offer sheet in 2008 after Vancouver signed Bakes to a offer sheet . I remember JD being ticked off :laugh: