HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   NHL Free Agency Thread 7 (Legit Sources ONLY) Shane Doan visiting Montreal (Post 400) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1233143)

Blind Gardien 07-19-2012 11:39 AM

NHL Free Agency Thread 7 (Legit Sources ONLY) Shane Doan visiting Montreal (Post 400)

Continued from...
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1226995

Madevilz 07-19-2012 11:41 AM

Legwand looks a lot like Weber.

Kriss E 07-19-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 (Post 52711571)
I really don't get why people keep using this logic.

I mean its ****ing Holmgren.

Well, I wasn't really referring to this move. I said offer sheets are part of the game, so it's all good.
I'm just looking in general. Even in NJ where there's more people that show up for my Bday party than to watch the Devils, they gave out long crazy deals. Minnesota with Parise and Suter, Flyers with Weber, Vancouver with Luongo, Pittsburgh, Washington, etc..
Owners are just making themselves look bad. But wtv, I don't really care so long as I get to see some entertaining hockey.

DenverHabsFan 07-19-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Dominic Moore ‏@mooredom

My dog just signed an offer sheet with the neighbor.
Sort of makes my point about loyalty. :laugh:

sheed36 07-19-2012 11:59 AM

So Weber would be getting paid 14 million per year for the first 4 years while having a cap hit of only 7.857 million.. Tough for smaller market teams to keep their franchise players when larger market teams are allowed to do this.. The NHL needs to really put an end to those heavy front loaded contracts with little at the end that significantly lowers the amount of the cap hit.

clownquestionbro* 07-19-2012 12:02 PM

why are all these players getting massive signing bonuses? Doesn't that break the essence of a salary cap (on an annual basis at least).

Jeffrey 07-19-2012 12:03 PM

If I were the preds, I would match and look for a potential trade partner next year. They don't need draft picks, they are not in a rebuild and they need to reach the salary floor!

shamrun 07-19-2012 12:05 PM

if the preds are afraid that they cant pay shea that amount wouldnt the league swoop in and pay him eventually? I think Vicent lecavlier was going through some tough times a few years ago. Not sure about all that.

I guess the preds would have to declare they are bankrupt or something.

SeriousHabs 07-19-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clownquestionbro (Post 52714727)
why are all these players getting massive signing bonuses? Doesn't that break the essence of a salary cap (on an annual basis at least).

They get the bonus even if there is a lock out. It counts against the cap.

Whitesnake 07-19-2012 12:05 PM

Not really sure why people are whining about GM's and owners. The rule of not giving more than 5 years is not existing. So the guys are going by the rule in place. Once the rule will exist, they will go by that rule. Sorry, but ethic goes so far. If on a road, you can go to 100km/h, yet you know that at that place it should be 60....will you really go 60? And the rule is also NOT for the most fortunate. But for the majority who isn't. Yet, it's all great to say that the Philly owner is amongst the one who wants the players to take a paycut and so on yet, TO THIS DAY, if he doesn't do anything, maybe the Rangers will.....So you don't create laws 'cause you personnally believe in them. You create it so that your opponents can't have an advantage on you. Have no problem with what Philly did. But hey, if it means abolishing this system, not even have RFA's anymore and so on...so be it. Whatever they decide. But as of now, they go with what is in place. Preds don't like it? Take the pick, you have some great youngsters D-men in your system, you'd pick some d-men along the way and we never know, they might be better sooner than we think.

Now....would they be interested in Kaberle???? :D

CareyClutch 07-19-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey (Post 52714773)
If I were the preds, I would match and look for a potential trade partner next year. They don't need draft picks, they are not in a rebuild and they need to reach the salary floor!

So you'll give almost 28m for 1 year of Weber?

Whitesnake 07-19-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey (Post 52714773)

As if that's a problem....Gomez, Kaberle, Bourque. :sarcasm:

shamrun 07-19-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 52714913)
Not really sure why people are whining about GM's and owners. The rule of not giving more than 5 years is not existing. So the guys are going by the rule in place. Once the rule will exist, they will go by that rule. Sorry, but ethic goes so far. If on a road, you can go to 100km/h, yet you know that at that place it should be 60....will you really go 60? And the rule is also NOT for the most fortunate. But for the majority who isn't. Yet, it's all great to say that the Philly owner is amongst the one who wants the players to take a paycut and so on yet, TO THIS DAY, if he doesn't do anything, maybe the Rangers will.....So you don't create laws 'cause you personnally believe in them. You create it so that your opponents can't have an advantage on you. Have no problem with what Philly did. But hey, if it means abolishing this system, not even have RFA's anymore and so on...so be it. Whatever they decide. But as of now, they go with what is in place. Preds don't like it? Take the pick, you have some great youngsters D-men in your system, you'd pick some d-men along the way and we never know, they might be better sooner than we think.

Now....would they be interested in Kaberle???? :D

I doubt they would want kaberle now. They re-signed Gill. :sarcasm:

Whitesnake 07-19-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shamrun (Post 52715003)
I doubt they would want kaberle now. They re-signed Gill. :sarcasm:

Well, they lost Suter and maybe Weber. So Gill replaces Suter and Kaberle replaces Weber. They won't even see the difference...:naughty:

Deaner 07-19-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clownquestionbro (Post 52714727)

That's my big beef too. Bettman is supposed to be this crafty lawyer who "wins" all his negotiations. I thought that would imply he was thorough. Getting a "signing bonus" four, five, six years after you sign doesn't pass the smell test.

I hope PK and Don Meehan aren't looking at the structure and length of deals such as these and licking their chops because their is NO WAY the Habs would ever try something this shady, whether it's Gainey, Gauthier, Bergevin or anybody else at the helm.

llamateizer 07-19-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CareyClutch (Post 52714965)

how is it possible to have this?
I thought that the maximum is 20% of the salary cap (salary and cap hit)

Blind Gardien 07-19-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CareyClutch (Post 52714965)

Well, there might not be a lockout. Or it might not last a full year, anyway.

OneSharpMarble 07-19-2012 12:14 PM

I hope Nashville takes the picks, makes that 2nd rounder we have from them so much jucier. :)

guest1467 07-19-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewBACHa (Post 52715223)
how is it possible to have this?
I thought that the maximum is 20% of the salary cap (salary and cap hit)

It is because the signing bonuses are paid before the season or some stupid ****.

shamrun 07-19-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble (Post 52715393)
I hope Nashville takes the picks, makes that 2nd rounder we have from them so much jucier. :)

Oh my goodness you are right....add to that calgary.... :yo:

Habsfan18 07-19-2012 12:21 PM

I can't ****ing stand these ridiculous long term contracts.

And people wonder why we may be in store for yet another lockout. It's a joke.

ThaDevilGirl 07-19-2012 12:23 PM

27M in one year only has to hurt. I still hope they match the offer.

shutehinside 07-19-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 (Post 52715435)
It is because the signing bonuses are paid before the season or some stupid ****.

As per your comment on Weber not wanting to be there, I read a tweet today saying it was Pile who walked away from a 3 year $7M counter offer from Webers camp last year. I don't think it's a case of Weber not wanting to stay. It's a case of him wanting to get PAID.

The Doors 07-19-2012 12:32 PM

Nashville should take the 4 picks and give 3 to Howson for Nash. It would be a marketing goldmine. You should be able to convince a guy named Nash to come to NASHville. He'd be a hero. Use the other 1st as part of a package to get yourself a guy like Bouwmeester.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt 07-19-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 52714913)
Not really sure why people are whining about GM's and owners...

That's like the US saying they will retreat from foreign countries but then they destroy a few villages an hour later... and they never actually leave the countries....