HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet - 14 Yrs - $110 Million - $7.857 Cap Hit (Pt IV) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1233197)

JeffMangum 07-19-2012 01:28 PM

[PHI] Shea Weber Signs Offer Sheet - 14 Yrs - $110 Million - $7.857 Cap Hit (Pt IV)

FAQ
1. What's the compensation? The average value is just 7.857M, doesnt that mean it's only 2 firsts, a 2nd, and a 3rd?
A: No, as per CBA 10.4, the term used in an offersheet calculation is the lower of the term of the contract and five years. 110M/5 = 22M. 22M > 8.4M. Compensation is four first round picks.

2: How long does nashville have to make a decision?
A: Per CBA 10.3 B+C, if nashville does not exercise their right of first refusal within seven days, Shea Weber can sign a contract with the flyers matching the terms of this offersheet.

3: Can nashville match and trade him?
A: Nashville cannot trade him for one calendar year from the time they match the offersheet. If they wait the full seven days, they cannot trade him until July 26th 2013 (CBA 10.3 B)

4: Wait, what if there's an NTC/NMC? Then isnt Nashville stuck with this contract?
A: Nashville only has to match the principal terms of the offersheet, meaning the salary/signing bonuses/structure. (CBA 10.3 B+E)

5. What if nashville trades him right now to another team?
A: Nashville cannot trade him once he has signed the offersheet (CBA 10.3 A)

Burlington Bomb 26 07-19-2012 01:29 PM

If I were Poile, I would match and then trade Weber. A signed Weber has more value than one headed to UFA.

7even 07-19-2012 01:29 PM

It'll be interesting to see how Bettman uses this in the ongoing CBA dispute.

DiehardKingsFan 07-19-2012 01:30 PM

I wonder what the Predators' brass are thinking right about now

JVR21 07-19-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Erixon's Lunchbox (Post 52719221)
If I were Poile, I would match and then trade Weber. A signed Weber has more value than one headed to UFA.

Only 1 year and $26M from now would he be able to do that.

illpucks 07-19-2012 01:30 PM

What if Nashville matches the offer sheet but the NHL rejects the deal a la Kovalchuk. What then?

oil slick 07-19-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Can't trade him for a year, but then he can. The only downside would be if Suter leaving makes Weber look a little more human, in which case his value might decrease.

Nucks N Canes 07-19-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

If they match and Weber does become unhappy then Weber will be traded at the earliest at 2013/2014 deadline. As that becomes the point where they can get the best return for him, without sacrificing any of their seasons.

cyris 07-19-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

They cant trade him for a year until after a budget team has paid him 27 million dollars.

RJ8812 07-19-2012 01:31 PM

someone posted how if the pereds/flyers worked out a deal to trade the picks back to philly for players it wouldnt involve actually trading the picks back, but in fact, it would, as Meltzer explains it....there would be two different deals

Quote:

The only way I could see Weber ending up in Philadelphia now is via a two-step trade over the next week. That is doable. As with the Chris Gratton acquisition in 1997, the Flyers can immediately re-acquire some or all of the compensatory picks they would send to Nashville in exchange for not matching the offer sheet. It would be a de facto trade for Weber although officially it would technically be two different transactions. Officially, the Predators would decline to match the offer sheet, and then trade draft picks back to Philadelphia in exchange for players.

Cartered 07-19-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Not possible. Not immediately, anyway. He can't be traded for one calendar year.

bauer 07-19-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasso09 (Post 52718951)
Yes, I seriously did, I'll repeat this since you fail to understand. Nashville isn't going to commit that kind of money on a player when they don't want to be there.

agree with this. it's without question the most overlooked issue here. what does Weber want? rumblings are he really wants out of Nashville, so if you're the Preds, why would you spend 27M to have the guy there for only one year then trade him? it would be Rick Nash 2.0 all over again but even with a worse contract. i think Weber ends up a Flyer. the Preds either don't match, or there's a 2nd trade involved. i think he's done in Nashville.

laufer72 07-19-2012 01:32 PM

OK, I would love to know how some individuals explain the "still can be traded" thing. By reading all the comment on Tweeter, to me it looks like Preds can only either match or take 4 1st round picks, end of story.

BigTuna49 07-19-2012 01:32 PM

Part 4 in less then 24 hours? lol Only the Flyers would cause this much stir.

Alchemy 07-19-2012 01:32 PM

@BroadStBull

Shea Weber's agent, Kevin Epp, said money wasn't a factor in signing the offer sheet, but that Weber likes ‪#Flyers‬ history and Cup chances.

@BroadStBull

Shea Weber's agent says the Dman considers Philadelphia "a destination place." ‪#Flyers‬ ‪#Preds

@BroadStBull

"We felt it was the right fit," Epp, Weber's agent, says of ‪#Flyers‬. He says he "wouldn't be surprised 1 way or the other" on who gets him.

Marlo Stanfield 07-19-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JVR21 (Post 52719257)
Only 1 year and $26M from now would he be able to do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyris (Post 52719313)
They cant trade him for a year until after a budget team has paid him 27 million dollars.

And consider the fact that there may be a lockout as well and no season. So that's $26 mil out of pocket without any revenue coming in. A HUGE dent to an owners pocket.

cyris 07-19-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiehardKingsFan (Post 52719255)
I wonder what the Predators' brass are thinking right about now

Imo the most likely scenario is the Preds and Flyers work out a trade involving the compensation.

bauer 07-19-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartered (Post 52719333)
That's not actually how it would work. The teams would rework the compensation so that something else instead of the picks went to Nashville. The picks would not be traded back and forth like that.

are you sure about this? from what i understand Nash would have to take the picks. then if a deal is to be made, then can be sent back to Philly.

PPPower 07-19-2012 01:34 PM

NHL Team Worth 2011-2012

#25 Nashville Predators

Total Revenue $82 million
Operating Income $-7.5 million

They were losing money last year, now with this contract...

In the first year alone it would cost them 33% of their total revenue of last season.

And I'm not sure how salary floor works but if the bonus doesn't count towards cap floor, they would need another players salary on top of that as well.

Crazy Joe Divola 07-19-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 52719329)
someone posted how if the pereds/flyers worked out a deal to trade the picks back to philly for players it wouldnt involve actually trading the picks back, but in fact, it would, as Meltzer explains it....there would be two different deals

Wouldn't it be the pinnacle of bad-assery if Holmgren was all like "Yeah, just don't match and I promise I'll trade you these players you want for our draft picks we're giving you now..."

Preds don't match.

Holmgren is all like "we changed our mind, you can keep the picks"

Flyers change their logo to the Troll Face.

Cartered 07-19-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laufer72 (Post 52719365)
OK, I would love to know how some individuals explain the "still can be traded" thing. By reading all the comment on Tweeter, to me it looks like Preds can only either match or take 4 1st round picks, end of story.

The Predators and Flyers can agree to an alternate form of compensation besides the first round picks. This can include players. It's not really a "trade" in the traditional sense, but Nashville has some options besides the picks if the Flyers are willing to negotiate. Philly has the upper hand in that department, though.

tom_servo 07-19-2012 01:35 PM

What makes people think he doesn't want to be in Nashville merely because he signed an offersheet? He obviously wouldn't mind Philly, but that doesn't mean he's hell-bent on getting out.

Didn't Sakic once sign a sheet with the Rangers?

Sasso09 07-19-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laufer72 (Post 52719365)

I thought it was explained. But I'll try again. Nashville has the right to ask for players instead of the 4 picks, or a combination of both. Essentially it'll be two separate trades officially. It was done with Chris Gratton back in 97' as someone pointed out.

bruinsfan46 07-19-2012 01:35 PM

NHL owners must be jacked this happened with the CBA negotiations going on.

cyris 07-19-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson (Post 52719407)
And consider the fact that there may be a lockout as well and no season. So that's $26 mil out of pocket without any revenue coming in. A HUGE dent to an owners pocket.

Yep most of his pay is in signing bonus so he will still get it if there is a lockout.