HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Confirmed Signing with Link: Flyers sign Shea Weber to 14-year offer sheet ($7.857M Cap Hit) (Pt V) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1233471)

JVR21 07-19-2012 07:49 PM

Flyers sign Shea Weber to 14-year offer sheet ($7.857M Cap Hit) (Pt V)

FAQ
1. What's the compensation? The average value is just 7.857M, doesnt that mean it's only 2 firsts, a 2nd, and a 3rd?
A: No, as per CBA 10.4, the term used in an offersheet calculation is the lower of the term of the contract and five years. 110M/5 = 22M. 22M > 8.4M. Compensation is four first round picks.

2: How long does nashville have to make a decision?
A: Per CBA 10.3 B+C, if nashville does not exercise their right of first refusal within seven days, Shea Weber can sign a contract with the flyers matching the terms of this offersheet.

3: Can nashville match and trade him?
A: Nashville cannot trade him for one calendar year from the time they match the offersheet. If they wait the full seven days, they cannot trade him until July 26th 2013 (CBA 10.3 B)

4: Wait, what if there's an NTC/NMC? Then isnt Nashville stuck with this contract?
A: Nashville only has to match the principal terms of the offersheet, meaning the salary/signing bonuses/structure. (CBA 10.3 B+E)

5. What if nashville trades him right now to another team?
A: Nashville cannot trade him once he has signed the offersheet (CBA 10.3 A)

CTU2fan 07-19-2012 07:52 PM

From the other thread...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Tripps (Post 52735989)
In a business where working with your fellow GM's is the most important aspect, this would be one of the most stupid, idiotic things that Holmgreen could do.

No GM would ever trust anything that Holmgreen has to say again.

Oh absolutely agree. And there's absolutely no way he'd do that. I just meant the reaction here and other places if he did it would be pretty funny.

Roo Mad Bro 07-19-2012 07:52 PM

Damn, this is going to be a long couple of days.

cyris 07-19-2012 07:53 PM

You dont think adding all that great info will stop someone from asking one of those questions by the end of the next page do you?

ShutDownDefense 07-19-2012 07:53 PM

We now have a new Decision 2012, whether or not Nashville matches.

JGalt 07-19-2012 07:53 PM

Continuing form the last thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGalt (Post 52733589)
Right now the Preds have 3 possible scenarios to work through.

Scenario #1: They cannot afford to pay Shea Weber the $27 million dollars he will make during the next calender year. In this scenario the Predators can attempt to bluff the Flyers into agreeing to give them greater compensation then the four 1st round picks they will receive by declining to match the offer sheet, but they hold no real bargaining power. Weber is a Flyer.

Scenario #2: They can afford to pay $27 million dollars to Shea Weber over the next calender year. In this scenario the Preds can hold out in an attempt to force the Flyers to offer them greater compensation than the 4 first round picks in a Chris Gratton style trade or if they decide the Flyers offer is too low they can match the offer sheet and trade Weber to the highest bidder sometime between the end of the 2014 season and July 1st of that year.

Scenario #3: They can both afford to pay $27 million dollars over the next calender year and to run a successful team while paying $80 million dollars to Shea Weber over the next 6 years. If this is the case they match the offer sheet and Weber is a Pred for life. Game Over.

To those claiming the bold violates the CBA:
Quote:

Originally Posted by JGalt (Post 52733589)
You clearly don't understand. No, you cannot actually alter the RFA compensation. However, what can and has happened, is that the two teams involved can come to a handshake agreement, in which the team that tendered the offer sheet agrees to trade some alternate package of players or picks for some or all of the 1st rounders they give up, in exchange for the team that held the RFAs rights agreeing NOT to match the offer sheet.

Roman Yoshi 07-19-2012 07:53 PM

I don't think Weber wants to stay in Nashville. I just hope Poile can turn those picks into players at this point.

Panteras 07-19-2012 07:53 PM

wow @ part V

Finlandia WOAT 07-19-2012 07:54 PM

From the other thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantokrator (Post 52735849)

This is why I think the league was STUPID not to let Ballsillie get a team. it was refreshing to see Buffalo get an owner like this.

Balsillie tried to purchase an NHL team and move it, both without League consent. And when he didn't get his way, he went to the court and tried to force the NHL to abide by his wishes.

Before that, he advertised season tickets for a team that he didn't own, again without League consent.

Why were they stupid to bar out a person who clearly does not play well with others?

Krishna 07-19-2012 07:54 PM

This is poile right now

JinzoBlaze 07-19-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyris (Post 52736323)
You dont think adding all that great info will stop someone from asking one of those questions by the end of the next page do you?

I guess we'll flood the first page with it.

Please read the OP before you ask questions!

There goes my good deed for the day.

Alchemy 07-19-2012 07:54 PM

With nashville having to pay all that money up front and they are still only halfway to the cap floor. They still have to sign other players to reach it. I don't see them matching at all. They were looking for 15m-25m a couple of months ago from investors this season alone.

Shmak 07-19-2012 07:55 PM

I bet Weber didn't read the fine print about having to sit in the net behind Bryz.

viper0220 07-19-2012 07:55 PM

Hopefully the Preds match this offer or they lose a lot of fans.

WarriorofTime 07-19-2012 07:56 PM

If Nashville accepts Preds fans should get excited that every dollar they spend at Preds games and on Preds merchandise next year will be going to pay Shea Weber $26 million in one calendar year.

Finlandia WOAT 07-19-2012 07:56 PM

Also, can someone explain to me why the Preds would bother matching a lifetime contract that pays Weber 26 million in the first year just to trade him as soon as they are able?

If Poile goes to ownership with that in mind, ownership is probably going to opt for the 4 first round picks and keep the 26 million.

JesusBouillon 07-19-2012 07:57 PM

Just logged in and saw that. I like the aggressiveness of the Flyers, but this looks reckless to me. You're going to lose 4 first round picks, although they're probably going to be late picks, the Flyers have been quite good in the draft. Heck, Giroux was a late first rounder. All that when they could just bid for him next summer without giving any assets.

Tripod 07-19-2012 07:57 PM

You have to give Holmgren credit for taking some risks:
2007 He was the first one to make a trade for "rights" and got Timmonen and Hartnell for a 1st rounder. Then a few days later signed the top UFA in Danny Briere.
2009 trades for Pronger
2011 Trades Carter and Richards and signs Bryz
2012 Tries for both Suter and Parise and now OS Weber

At least he has the guts to swing for the fences.

TheLegendkiller 07-19-2012 07:57 PM

lol you know what the preds should do? lol match offersheet then trade that greedy bugger the next year lol to the isles to screw with Philly lol lol

lol Holmgren is dumb, Nash keeps Webs and the fans can boo him llol and buy "**** Weber" tshirts at games lol

lol dumb philly lol lol

^^If you come in contact with this poster, just say no. Not worth typing to a wall.

Ducks DVM 07-19-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyris (Post 52736187)
Because a team that lost money last season will have no problem paying out 26 million dollars during a revenue reduced lockout season.

Depends entirely on how much costs fall with the new CBA, and even more importantly, how much profit sharing gets pushed through by the players union and small market owners. How funny would it be it the Flyers have to kick in major $$ which allows the Preds to afford Weber's contract?

:laugh:

It would also be amusing if this contract spurred some small market owners to push for a provision allowing the matching team to trade the player earlier than 365 days in cases where bonus money >>> salary.

JGalt 07-19-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Tripps (Post 52736449)
Also, can someone explain to me why the Preds would bother matching a lifetime contract that pays Weber 26 million in the first year just to trade him as soon as they are able?

They wouldn't. The guy pushing that idea is an idiot. Zero chance of Weber moving before 2014 if the Preds match.

JinzoBlaze 07-19-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper0220 (Post 52736421)
Hopefully the Preds match this offer or they lose a lot of fans.

It sucks to be in their position right now, but a real fan sticks by their team. Cliche I know, but it's true. If you're a real fan you still support your team even if they lose their best player. Know that the lack of fan support in that city is a contributing factor to this mess.

dawkins121 07-19-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Tripps (Post 52736449)

If Poile goes to ownership with that in mind, ownership is probably going to opt for the 4 first round picks and keep the 26 million.

And they should. Eating the $26 mill just to see what the trade market is like a year from now is insane. Especially since nobody knows what the new CBA is going to look like, that contract could be an albatross which nobody will want to trade for.

If they match, it should be because they intend to keep Weber for the rest of his career.

Flat Stanley 07-19-2012 08:00 PM

To people saying Nashville should match it just to trade him a year later. Even though it's Shea Weber and he's one of the best defensemen in the league, how many teams will take his $7.8M cap hit until he's 41 years old in addition to paying a huge price in a trade.

I think Nashville should match it, only if they want him to stay long term and Poile convinces him that there will not be a rebuilding process.

If he doesn't want to keep Weber long term and/or Shea Weber doesn't want to be there, don't match the offer sheet and take the 4 1st round picks. Nashville has proven they can draft quality defensemen and they have young defensemen ready for the NHL.

Finlandia WOAT 07-19-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawkins121 (Post 52736557)
And they should. Eating the $26 mill just to see what the trade market is like a year from now is insane. Especially since nobody knows what the new CBA is going to look like, that contract could be an albatross which nobody will want to trade for.

If they match, it should be because they intend to keep Weber for the rest of his career.

Exactly. If this is matched, then the Preds are keeping Weber for the long haul.

And I am fairly confident that they will end up matching.