HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Weber email campaign (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1233579)

WantonAbandon 07-19-2012 10:43 PM

Weber email campaign

If you want the Predators to match Weber why not tell them so. Apparently you can email them at shenry@nashvillepredators.com, jcogen@nashvillepredators.com.

Tell them if the Preds don't match Weber you will stop supporting the team. Maybe this means you will cancel your season tickets, this is probably the most effective. Maybe this means you will no longer buy tickets. Maybe this will no longer give them ratings.

I'd recommend tweeting the Nashville beat writers until they start retweeting the idea. If enough of you do this they will.

Post the idea on every social forum Board where Predator fans might be.

With the invention of social media I think you guys may have more power than you think. Such an action may be unprecedented in the world of sports and may shock them into action.

After all social media has already lead to significant actions many thought impossible. If social media was used to topple a regime, I'm pretty sure it can be used to shock the Preds into action.

In full disclosure I am a Sharks fan, however this idea actually originated from a Preds fan and a mod gave me permission to start this thread. You can see for yourself on the Weber to Philly thread.

Balls in your court. An email will only take two minutes to write. All it has to say is I have been a season ticket holder for x number of years and if Weber is not matched I will not renew...

Its better than doing nothing isn't it? You have 6 days now. The clock is ticking

I Will Son 07-19-2012 10:50 PM

Word. Lezdoit

TMI 07-19-2012 10:51 PM

I'm game. I'll type mine up tomorrow.

AEM6729 07-19-2012 10:51 PM

I e-mailed Henry. Got a reply back already. Said that he wishes he could elaborate beyond the team's official statement (which he pasted into the e-mail), but that it's essential for the team to speak with one voice right now. Also said that when this window passes he looks forward to seeing and talking with me at games for years to come.

I guess that's a positive reply, as I made it clear in my e-mail that despite being a STH from Year 1, losing Weber to an offer sheet would cause me to cancel my account. Maybe it's just lip service, but he won't be seeing me at any games for years to come if we don't match...

Top 6 Spaling 07-19-2012 10:51 PM

I'm all for the grassroots thing, but at this point, if Weber doesn't want to be here, aren't we best either letting him go or trading their picks back to them for other pieces via a gentleman's agreement?

I think it's noble that you're trying this, and best of luck, but personally, I won't e-mail them because I am not sure what it best. Depends on Weber's attitude.

AEM6729 07-19-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling (Post 52742707)
I'm all for the grassroots thing, but at this point, if Weber doesn't want to be here, aren't we best either letting him go or trading their picks back to them for other pieces via a gentleman's agreement?

I think it's noble that you're trying this, and best of luck, but personally, I won't e-mail them because I am not sure what it best. Depends on Weber's attitude.

Gentlemen's agreements make me uncomfortable; I don't trust Holmgren. Better to match, shake the rep of a cheap team, and if he wants out trade him in a year for a boatload of NHL-ready players. I'm not interested at all in first-round picks.

Totally your call whether to e-mail or not. I did because I just wanted to seize whatever small power I have as a fan...made me feel better for a second. I've done what little I can!

Nitrous Mafia 07-19-2012 10:57 PM

someone write up an email so we can all copypasta it

TMI 07-19-2012 10:58 PM

I can write a form letter if that's how you guys want to go, but I think it would be better if we all sent something unique.

I won't write anything until tomorrow at some point, though. Just wanted to throw that out there.

WantonAbandon 07-19-2012 10:59 PM

Do they have a facebook page? Maybe Comment on it

The Zetterberg Era 07-19-2012 11:03 PM

I think this is a great idea for Preds fans, really thought Wings fans should start begging the Tampa owner in a similar fashion to give us Yzerman for the Winter Classic stuff. In any case I wish this movement luck.

One exception I don't think you should threaten to stop supporting the team. More like I want to buy another Weber jersey and this is what he means to me. I would be very disappointed stuff. Threatening them in a difficult time is probably only going to make this harder. Showing your love for the franchise and Weber on it is probably the best route in my opinion.

The Preds ownership didn't burn you guys in my opinion, they tried to keep this together, they didn't cash out they doubled down brought in more said to come to them with final offers after all of those trades. This is how those two players repayed them, I doubt very much management and ownership feels a whole lot different than you after all they are the biggest fans in a lot of ways.

Paranoid Android 07-19-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

1) You don't know that for sure

2) Once we accept, anything can happen. Players can have a change of heart.

3) Perhaps the only reason Weber wants out is because Poile refused to give him this deal. Maybe now that he's forced to give it to him, they are cool.

4) If you think Weber's attitude depends on everything, then tell them that.

There are just way too many variables at play here to make blanket statements like this.

TMI 07-19-2012 11:14 PM

OK nevermind. I got into the mood to write, and stamped something out. Feel free to give feedback, and if you like it you can use it.

Quote:

I write this letter in an effort to give a voice to the Predators faithful. We are all different in our own ways. Some are young, some are old. Some live in Nashville, and some live in foreign countries. But we are all the same where it matters – we are all diehard fans of this great hockey team that we all hold dear to our hearts. Most of us suffered through, and were brought closer together by, the summer of 2007. Obviously you all remember that summer just as well as we do. After weeks of an emotional roller coaster ride, our team, the one we hold so dear, was wrest from the hands of a man who wanted to steal it from us. Our team, and the community of Predators fans, were saved by a group of people who, though they weren’t hockey insiders, loved the team as much as we did, and did not want to see it go.

Now we are hoping those same people can help us during another trying summer. We are anxiously awaiting the announcement of whether or not the offer sheet Shea Weber signed will be matched by the Nashville Predators. Losing Ryan Suter was painful, but losing both Suter and Shea Weber within weeks of one another will be gut-wrenching. It will surely cost the team season ticket holders, some of whom have been to nearly every game in Nashville. Undoubtedly, it will set the team back, too.

This team is on the cusp of something special. Over the past two springs we have been able to watch our beloved Predators play into the second round of the play offs, something that we had long wanted to happen. Interest in the team is higher than it has been since it first moved here, and it is only growing. Right now, this moment, is critical to the team’s future. It really feels like this organization is ready to take the next step. Not only as a franchise, but as a family -- a community of hockey faithful who get entirely too attached to a game that is meant to only be for fun.

I write this letter to express how badly I feel this team needs this offer sheet to be matched. Obviously I do not have insight into the team’s finances beyond what is publicly available, but I do feel as though I have insight into the attitude of the fan base. We are all on edge. We are all tired of summer after summer being filled with question marks. We are ready break out of the same cycle. All that we can hope is that the organization is ready, and able, to let us take that next step.

Please, come through for us again.

Top 6 Spaling 07-19-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoid Android (Post 52743159)
1) You don't know that for sure

2) Once we accept, anything can happen. Players can have a change of heart.

3) Perhaps the only reason Weber wants out is because Poile refused to give him this deal. Maybe now that he's forced to give it to him, they are cool.

4) If you think Weber's attitude depends on everything, then tell them that.

There are just way too many variables at play here to make blanket statements like this.

I don't know what is going on behind close doors, which is why I am staying out of it and not e-mailing in. I encourage anyone that feels strongly about this to go for it, it's just not for me.

Poile, Fenton, our owners, and the plethora of advisers they have know better than I do, so I leave it up to them.

WantonAbandon 07-19-2012 11:53 PM

Personally I think getting the beat writers to tweet about the email campaign may be key. Best way to spread the idea to the fanbase. They probably will if enough people tweet them. It may make a good story.

TMI 07-20-2012 12:06 AM

If fans of other teams want to attempt to run interference to this campaign, go for it, but do not expect the advertisement of that effort to be welcome on this forum.

TMI 07-20-2012 12:22 AM

OK... my messages aren't going to make a lot of sense to most of you for reasons I will not discuss, but this is not the place for outsiders to come questioning the email effort. If Preds fans want to offer a different angle, fine, but they are Preds fans. They are family. Even then it needs to be respectful. Outsiders questioning this, for any reason, is only going to lead down a bad road. Please be respectful of our fan base right now. There are other threads where discussing the pros and cons of matching is more appropriate.

Viqsi 07-20-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdManIn (Post 52745201)
OK... my messages aren't going to make a lot of sense to most of you for reasons I will not discuss, but this is not the place for outsiders to come questioning the email effort. If Preds fans want to offer a different angle, fine, but they are Preds fans. They are family. Even then it needs to be respectful. Outsiders questioning this, for any reason, is only going to lead down a bad road. Please be respectful of our fan base right now. There are other threads where discussing the pros and cons of matching is more appropriate.

I propose the following sum-up:
"We're not interested in your opinion, here. This is our forum and our thread. Go pontificate elsewhere. This is Preds fan business." :)

I mean, heck, I'm at least a part-time Preds fan and I think I've managed to see more games at Bridgestone in the last few years than I have at the Nat (and I live in Columbus, so that's a heck of an accomplishment), and I still feel kind of like an awkward outsider on this one.

The Zetterberg Era 07-20-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdManIn (Post 52745201)

I think that is an exceptional effort, really thought what you wrote was great as an outsider. Have an Uncle who is a season ticket holder down in Nashville. I know he is worried, but most of all I like how you kept it devoid of threatening them. You elude to the loss of season tickets which will happen but you do it in a really good fashion in my opinion. As I said before I wish you guys luck in this, know a lot of relocated Detroit people down there that have loved switching over to your fan-base. We might be in the same division and rivals but your fan-base is too good to be put through this in one off-season. Keep up the good work.:handclap:

TMI 07-20-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWings19405 (Post 52745451)
I think that is an exceptional effort, really thought what you wrote was great as an outsider. Have an Uncle who is a season ticket holder down in Nashville. I know he is worried, but most of all I like how you kept it devoid of threatening them. You elude to the loss of season tickets which will happen but you do it in a really good fashion in my opinion. As I said before I wish you guys luck in this, know a lot of relocated Detroit people down there that have loved switching over to your fan-base. We might be in the same division and rivals but your fan-base is too good to be put through this in one off-season. Keep up the good work.:handclap:

Thank you. I kind of threw that together because the mood just sort of struck me, but I'm glad someone appreciated it.

predfan24 07-20-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdManIn (Post 52743403)
OK nevermind. I got into the mood to write, and stamped something out. Feel free to give feedback, and if you like it you can use it.

Quality my friend, Quality

TMI 07-20-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predfan24 (Post 52746295)
Quality my friend, Quality

Thanks. Feel free to use it if you'd like, and make whatever changes you deem necessary.

kypredsfan 07-20-2012 05:36 AM

Well mine wasn't as long and as eloquent as yours, TMI, but I did send a fairly heartfelt and respectful letter too. We'll see what happens in a few days or less.

kivaerijo 07-20-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

I'm with you. At first I thought, "great they just locked up weber for us!" then that went to, " that is gonna screw this team for the next few years in salary!", to "weber just screwed this team/fans more than anyone else ever has!", to let him go an start the rebuild!!

If we take the picks, we r 4-5 years from being super competitive, if we sign weber, we are 4-5 years from being competitive.

Not sure it really matters at this point, I almost say sign him though just to make him stuck here!!

Him signing that type of deal, he knew that it would cash strap this organization and I don't think I want root for someone that did that to the team, and more importantly, me.

I will be there next year and every year after that this team is still around. I won't give up on the team that we fought so hard to keep a few years ago! It is still my Nashville predators, not my Shea suters!!

I can't wait to boo them when they come back though, might bring tomatoes for Shea! Horrible what he did in my opinion.

RaiderDoug 07-20-2012 08:19 AM

If Weber leaves for a bunch of draft picks, do we crack 10k in average attendance next year?

There's simply no reason to go watch the Preds at that point.

1. Team not interested in competing in the NHL.
2. Team that won't keep its players.
3. Team with little star power (goaltenders aren't sexy).
4. Probably not going to be a very good team.

I don't think we need an email campaign to tell them that.

See you in Bridgestone in 2013-14 to cheer on Nathan McKinnon (at least until he becomes an RFA and we get a bunch of babble about how we can't pay him).

Either that, or Poile will probably draft a 2-way grinder, McKinnon may not be a "predator" player.

videofarmer 07-20-2012 08:26 AM

Hey guys, I think you should definitely email and let them know what you think should be done and what will garner the most support from you as fans.
My word of warning is this though, if you actually back up any threats to show your displeasure by voting with your wallets, you may lose your team. It's a tough choice.