HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   St. Louis Blues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Andy McDonald's Next Contract (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1233641)

letmesleep 07-20-2012 01:21 AM

Andy McDonald's Next Contract

Andy McDonald is our only significant UFA next off-season. Ignoring any possible changes in the CBA, what do you think it takes the Blues to retain him? How early do the Blues start talks? I'm under the impression that the Blues will do everything they reasonably can to keep Andy in St. Louis but I'm not sure what it will take.

If I had to make I guess, my bet would be a 4 year, $22 million contract with a NTC is what it takes to re-sign McDonald. Probably gets done around the All-Star Break. I think that's a fair price with the numbers McDonald puts up when he is healthy. The problem is he is a definite health risk.

Blanick 07-20-2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by letmesleep (Post 52746275)
Andy McDonald is our only significant UFA next off-season. Ignoring any possible changes in the CBA, what do you think it takes the Blues to retain him? How early do the Blues start talks? I'm under the impression that the Blues will do everything they reasonably can to keep Andy in St. Louis but I'm not sure what it will take.

If I had to make I guess, my bet would be a 4 year, $22 million contract with a NTC is what it takes to re-sign McDonald. Probably gets done around the All-Star Break. I think that's a fair price with the numbers McDonald puts up when he is healthy. The problem is he is a definite health risk.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he retires after this season. His concussions are just getting stacked on top of each other and there was speculation he was considering retirement the last time he was out. Even if he comes back I would only expect it to be a 1 year deal.

Also, I think the Blues are projecting Schwartz to fill McDonalds role after this season

letmesleep 07-20-2012 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blanick (Post 52746539)
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he retires after this season. His concussions are just getting stacked on top of each other and there was speculation he was considering retirement the last time he was out. Even if he comes back I would only expect it to be a 1 year deal.

Also, I think the Blues are projecting Schwartz to fill McDonalds role after this season

I hadn't thought of that. His last concussion seemed to clear up well but those are things that definitely add up. Maybe he'll look at what has happened to Pronger and give it up.

However, he did come back after his last concussion which would lead me to believe that he will keep playing until another issue comes up. Maybe both sides would be happier with a shorter contract that I initially suggested?

JustOneB4IDie 07-20-2012 03:41 AM

Heck of a player who can't stay healthy who will be 35, making 4.7 Million dollars. Depends on health in management's eyes and who know how much longer Andy MaC wants to continue playing, I guess we will know more around the trading deadline next year.

PocketNines 07-20-2012 05:49 AM

Basically, we can guess but we can't know right now. If he goes through the whole season healthy and puts up 65+ points (.80 PPG which is reasonable for him) and performs again in the playoffs, I'm sure the Blues will want to keep him (on a 35+ incentives contract likely).

If he gets one more concussion, he's almost guaranteed to retire considering how close he came last time. If he's gimped up in non-concussive ways, then it becomes more muddled.

If he stays healthy and they bring him back, I'd guess they'd offer a 2-3 year deal with heavy incentives (assuming the CBA keeps 35 as the age where those contracts are permitted).

stlweir 07-20-2012 09:34 AM

Pocket, agreed. If AMac has another concussion it would be in his best interest to retire. Love to see what he will do if he can stay healthy. Also another reason not to trade Dags. Can always use good depth in a long season.

Alklha 07-20-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PocketNines (Post 52748525)
Basically, we can guess but we can't know right now. If he goes through the whole season healthy and puts up 65+ points (.80 PPG which is reasonable for him) and performs again in the playoffs, I'm sure the Blues will want to keep him (on a 35+ incentives contract likely).

If he gets one more concussion, he's almost guaranteed to retire considering how close he came last time. If he's gimped up in non-concussive ways, then it becomes more muddled.

If he stays healthy and they bring him back, I'd guess they'd offer a 2-3 year deal with heavy incentives (assuming the CBA keeps 35 as the age where those contracts are permitted).

Performance bonuses can only be included in 1 year contracts, and I doubt that will change in the coming CBA.

I agree though, we'll look to keep McDonald around, but it will be 1 year contracts with heavy bonuses. No way will we be giving him a 4 year contract, and I doubt that McDonald will be looking for one either.

bleedblue1223 07-20-2012 11:02 AM

I could maybe a 2 year, $8-10 million deal depending on this season if he stays healthy. If he gets hurt again, it will be a 1 year for sure. I could definitely see him not returning though.

zachws6 07-20-2012 05:42 PM

Poor guy. He is so loaded with talent, heart, and speed. Every time he comes back from being injured, he doesn't even miss a beat. If he plays a full season this year....I say he comes back for 2 years @ 3.8 mil per.