HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   2012 CBJ Offseason Part III (Proposals, Speculations, Blog Rumors, etc. go here) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1233945)

Viqsi 07-20-2012 03:06 PM

2012 CBJ Offseason Part III (Proposals, Speculations, Blog Rumors, etc. go here)

I evidently managed to get Post #1000 in the last thread unintentionally, so I'm making a replacement coffee pot thread. (Skraut got the last one, though)

That post, for the record:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 52765489)
Meh. If the price is an 2nd, I wouldn't mind bringing back Jake. Especially considering that right now our RW depth chart consists of Derek Dorsett, Cam Atkinson, Jared Boll, and Harvey the Rabbit.

Is he ideal? Heck no. But we need top-6 RWs in the worst way.

Skraut's followup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skraut (Post 52765559)
you do realize in the mains that the thread about offer-sheeting Voracek, the general consensus is that he won't sign for about 2 mill more than the value that is being talked about in this thread...

Keep piling on, y'all.

Crede777 07-20-2012 03:19 PM

I'd be fine bringing back Voracek if we could do it relatively cheap. That's doubtful though.

Changing gears slightly, anybody else getting a little anxious to see Ryan Murray signed? It was supposedly "not far off" a week ago. I know it'll happen, but I'd like for something other than Nash and offersheets to talk about.

EspenK 07-20-2012 04:54 PM

Interesting that the mains think Jake is a deal at 4 mill up to 5 a year.

If not for the compensation factor, I'd go 3.5,3.8,4.3 or something like that, maybe some bonuses but nothing higher.

leesmith 07-20-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EspenK (Post 52769089)

If not for the compensation factor, I'd go 3.5,3.8,4.3 or something like that, maybe some bonuses but nothing higher.

Throw Philly a conditional 3rd rounder? That's on the low end. I suspect they'll want more than that.

Samkow 07-20-2012 05:05 PM

I see a huge letdown from Voracek when he goes from the heavily attended Flyers wifes carnivals back to an empty Nationwide Arena.

EspenK 07-20-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leesmith (Post 52769289)
Throw Philly a conditional 3rd rounder? That's on the low end. I suspect they'll want more than that.

I'm not sure what you mean here-for his rights?

Cash for Nash 07-20-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samkow (Post 52769411)
I see a huge letdown from Voracek when he goes from the heavily attended Flyers wifes carnivals back to an empty Nationwide Arena.

That I can buy. Philly has almost been the new "Hockeytown." They love their Flyers for sure.

leesmith 07-20-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EspenK (Post 52769513)
I'm not sure what you mean here-for his rights?

Yep, it might be cheaper in the long run than grossly overpaying him via offer sheet.

EspenK 07-20-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leesmith (Post 52769735)
Yep, it might be cheaper in the long run than grossly overpaying him via offer sheet.

Not sure how that would work with an RFA. He'd be ours with no chance of him walking until his UFA year.

Could we take him to arbitration? I think it is too late for that.

From Philly's perspective, I think even if they don't want him, would let someone offer him then take the compensation.

Kind of a goofy situation.

LetsGOJackets!! 07-20-2012 06:50 PM

Why would Philly do that?

I heard that with Pronger out due to injury they can pick up Weber's 7.8 million and still be 3.9 under the cap. Plenty enough to give Jake his needed raise to sign if they want him.

leesmith 07-20-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! (Post 52772473)
I heard that with Pronger out due to injury they can pick up Weber's 7.8 million and still be 3.9 under the cap. Plenty enough to give Jake his needed raise to sign if they want him.

Assuming the cap stays where it is, which I don't think it will.

leesmith 07-20-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leesmith (Post 52774245)

NY Post is reporting NHL wants to deeply slash the salary cap next season. Of course it won't end up there, but I'm even more certain now, it's going down...

Quote:

@NYP_Brooksie: Under NHL proposal, 2011-12 cap would have been 50.8M with floor of $38.8M

Samkow 07-20-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leesmith (Post 52774245)

If they lower the cap, they'll roll back salaries as well.

leesmith 07-20-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samkow (Post 52775479)

Dammit! You're probably right. I wish they couldn't roll back salaries, just the cap and the floor. The cap has gotten so high, it's almost like not having a cap at all - and that doesn't help Columbus competitively.

EspenK 07-21-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leesmith (Post 52775765)
Dammit! You're probably right. I wish they couldn't roll back salaries, just the cap and the floor. The cap has gotten so high, it's almost like not having a cap at all - and that doesn't help Columbus competitively.

If they didn't roll back salaries, it would be utter chaos. Cap teams would be ditching guys left and right. Maybe they could do it by the start of the following season.

The only way I see the economic imbalances being worked out is much more of a revenue sharing arrangement is in place.

I read somewhere how one guy would do it, involved giving visiting teams a portion of the gate among other things. Wish I'd have bookmarked it.

And the cap can't rise as fast as it does. Maybe add some of the extra revenue to the players pension plan or something.

EspenK 07-22-2012 08:05 AM

Was just reading another site and was reading the comments about Dale Tallon trading a 5th rounder for Casey Wellman.

The comment was:

"Low risk trade for Florida. Tallon is still building. Many of his moves are stop-gap. If they pay off, great, if not, little lost."

I think this is one (of many) areas) where Howson really falls down. Other than claiming Gilles off of waivers, I can't recall him making these kind of moves. Like taking a shot on Peter Mueller. Tallon did; Howson didn't.

KeithBWhittington 07-22-2012 08:21 AM

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...i-do-you-need/

Happy "PI" Approximation Day to CBJ president Mike Priest.....

:sarcasm:

CBJfan4evr 07-22-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Isn't he an RFA? Offer sheet him...

CBJfan4evr 07-22-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samkow (Post 52775479)

The answer lies in the vast nether that spans the un-communicated vision of the cap world in Don Fehr's mind and the collective egos of the leagues GM's

pete goegan 07-22-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJfan4evr (Post 52812219)
The answer lies in the vast nether that spans the un-communicated vision of the cap world in Don Fehr's mind and the collective egos of the leagues GM's

Perhaps this is a glimpse into Fehr's thinking (from today's Dispatch):

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...nhl-talks.html

EspenK 07-22-2012 10:57 AM

I think the professor has a great analysis of the situation. Too much revenue in some hands,not enough in others; offset by the owners saying "hey, wait a minute, we paid $x expecting $y in revenue and $z in profit.

One thing for sure is that the cap doesn't work out exactly "as intended".

EspenK 07-22-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJfan4evr (Post 52812145)
Isn't he an RFA? Offer sheet him...

Do you read posts before you reply?

The majority of the last umpteen posts have been talking about Jake as an RFA.

Even in the post you responded to I said I would go if not for the compensation factor. Implying that it was RFA compensation.

:rolleyes:

ndd17 07-22-2012 11:36 AM

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/
Let's wait now for signing of the contract with with defenseman Ryan Murray.

Viqsi 07-22-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EspenK (Post 52810535)
Was just reading another site and was reading the comments about Dale Tallon trading a 5th rounder for Casey Wellman.

The comment was:

"Low risk trade for Florida. Tallon is still building. Many of his moves are stop-gap. If they pay off, great, if not, little lost."

I think this is one (of many) areas) where Howson really falls down. Other than claiming Gilles off of waivers, I can't recall him making these kind of moves. Like taking a shot on Peter Mueller. Tallon did; Howson didn't.

:facepalm:

I'd like to reintroduce you to a guy by the name of Jan Hejda. Remember him?

How about that one guy picked off the scrap heap in Atlanta, y'know, Jason Williams. Helped the playoff push and then some. What did we give up to get him? Oh, yeah, an AHL point triggerman and that's it.

There's also this other guy we signed, name of Derek MacKenzie. How's he doing?

Oh, and there was some Russian we recently traded for, named Nikita Nikita or something...

Seriously, that's been his greatest strength, bar none, to a degree that that holds up well against any and every GM in the league. That's why Lori Schmidt calls him the Roster Ninja. He's damned impressive at those sorts of "pick off the scrap heap" pickups. It's anything above those - or, in some cases (Williams), retaining them afterward - where he tends to get the bulk of his criticism.

Sheesh!

EspenK 07-22-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 52814549)
:facepalm:

I'd like to reintroduce you to a guy by the name of Jan Hejda. Remember him?
I'll give you that one-even though it was what 4 or 5 years ago?

How about that one guy picked off the scrap heap in Atlanta, y'know, Jason Williams. Helped the playoff push and then some. What did we give up to get him? Oh, yeah, an AHL point triggerman and that's it.

Again yesterday's news

There's also this other guy we signed, name of Derek MacKenzie. How's he doing?

For a fourth liner not bad

Oh, and there was some Russian we recently traded for, named Nikita Nikita or something...

So far, so good

Seriously, that's been his greatest strength, bar none, to a degree that that holds up well against any and every GM in the league.

Especially Maloney in Phoenix and Tallon in Florida who rebuilt rosters in a couple of years or less and made the playoffs

That's why Lori Schmidt calls him the Roster Ninja. He's damned impressive at those sorts of "pick off the scrap heap" pickups. It's anything above those - or, in some cases (Williams), retaining them afterward - where he tends to get the bulk of his criticism.

I'll give you that he's made a couple of decent trades-but as far as being the maestro of free agency, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Which isn't unusual.

Sheesh!

:fence: