HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Meeting Sharks Players or Staff or other players and your experiences (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1234167)

SHARPENCAP 07-21-2012 01:38 AM

Meeting Sharks Players or Staff or other players and your experiences

So, I was reading a thread from back in the day and it was describing how other people got to meet fellow hockey players or anybody hockey related and decided to ask you members who have you met and how did your over all experience with that certain person go that way some fans know how it is to meet a certain player or person to expect what a particular I'll start first.. I'll go in player number in the people I've met

Thomas Griess: 2 times Very Nice guy signs usually anything that you ask him to has a unusual high pitched voice.. I thought that was kinda weird and funny at the same time but he's a great guy to meet or talk to.

Jim Vandermeer: 1 time Very nice guy, also willing to sign anything you ask him to, he is quiet though so don't be shocked if he doesn't speak too much but he will sign things

Douglas Murray: 1 time Very friendly man, when I met him he signed my puck and the sharpie he used and accidentally dropped the lid and he said my bad and picked it up I offered to pick it up and he apologized and picked it up and said here you go

Rob Blake: 1 Time Very Nice, he signed my sign and was very great full and appreciative that I asked for his autograph

Nicholas Wallin: 1 time He signed my puck with no question but didn't talk too much which seemed kinda mean but hey he is a Stanley cup winner after all so do you blame him?

Joe Pavelski: Three times probably the only shark player I've met the most out of anybody, he is very nice and signs anything you ask, plus also took my advice one day when I met him and I told him hey do me a favor score me a goal and that night when he played he wound up scoring two goals and I think he got the game winning goal which was cool!

Milan Michalek: 1 time he was utterly quiet but he signed my sign and was an okay person

Christian Ehrhoff: 1 time he was a nice guy, he also signed my sign and took a picture with me which I thought was pretty cool and awesome of him

Jamal Mayers: 1 time well kind of he was in a hurry to meet people at the blood drive and thank them for showing up but he was right in front of me he announced when he was in a hurry and said he was sorry maybe next time

Marcel Goc: 1 time he was as nice as Christian was to me he signed my sign and also took a picture with me.. I might be the only one on here but why did they give him number 11? I always thought that'd be designated for Nolan right??

Patrick Marleau: 1 time, he was great, he signed my sign and thanked me for asking for his autograph and glad that I was so happy to meet him

Jamie Baker: 5 Times I realize that what I said about Pavs was wrong but I met Jamie more times, he was nice and he remembered me from the first time i've met him he signed my puck plus a sign which was really cool of him the other times i've met him was either at the elevator to get in the seats or meeting him in the front doors or down ice level which got him by shock he was like oh hey whats up who do you think will win tonights game and i gave him my intake and he agreed with me :)

Jonathan Cheechoo: 1 Time Very awesome guy! He signed my sign and another item I asked him that he previously signed and that got washed away and he was gladly to resign it which was very cool! He also took a picture with me

Jim Sheppard: HF Boards favorite person to pick on in here well i met him 1 time and he seemed thrilled to signed my jersey for me so I thought he was a good person to get an graph from hopefully he gets a chance to play this upcoming season

Devin Setoguchi: Two times Maybe it's just me but it is very hard to get this kid to talk to you but once you do he'll open up and talk but yeah he signed my two jerseys but at separate times but yeah expect him to be quiet

Torrey Mitchell: 1 time, He is very funny his uncle and aunt who I had the great honor to sit next to in a game had some funny stories of him but yeah he also signed my sign and was great full he was in a hurry though I guess because it was around the time he injured his leg and didn't want to be on it too long

Alexi Semenov: 1 time he was great he signed my sign and another item but he didn't realize that he signed that item already beforehand and he didn't care he was happy to sign it again. Also took a picture with me.

Scott Nichol: 1 time well kind of it was during a morning skate and he was practicing on face offs and a puck accidentally deflected of his stick and skidded my head a little lucky that i didn't get hurt too bad just had a headache after but he asked me real quick are you okay? and I was like yeah and he was like at least you have a puck from me.. I so wish he could sign it or get him to sign it next time he comes to SJ that'd be awesome!

Doug Wilson: Twice I know I'll probably get a lot of heat on this one but he to me was great he signed my jersey with no questions asked and also explained to me why he traded setoguchi last minute and remembered me the following game I saw him right after and said hey have a fun night tonight and enjoy

Manny Malholtra: 1 time He was in a super rush, and he seemed to be kind of mean but he signed both items I asked him to and he did say thank you

Ryane Clowe: 1 time Very nice guy signed both items with no question glad I met him when I did he was right in front of me and he was like sure i'll be glad to sign anything wish I had a picture with him

Anttii Niemi: 1 time very nice guy he signs for anyone and he took his time to actually sign his autograph and thanked me for waiting for him to get his autograph and wasn't so mean as a stanley cup winner like Wallin

Kent Huskins: 1 time, he signed both items but was very quiet just like wallin eh that's a former duck for you lol

Marc-Edouard Vlasic: 2 times Pickles was great he signed my sign and my jersey for me and took a picture with me which i thought was cool just because I know normally a player can either sign two things or take a picture with one autograph but he did all three the other time I met him he also signed my other jersey of his and said hey I remember you!

Jason Demers: 1 time Nice guy, you can crack a joke with this kid and he'll burst into laughter he also signed both items I wanted him to sign but yeah he's a great kid unfortunate that Nabby accidentally cross checked him

Derek Joslin: 1 time Nice guy but a little quiet but he'll sign what you ask

Benn Ferriero: 1 Time nice guy ! Signs anything he is a short little dude but hey he signed what I asked him to

Drew Remenda: Three times he is great ! super friendly and always willing to sign anything!

Randy Hahn: Same with Drew friendly and signs anything! I once shared an elevator ride with him which was cool because he signed my jersey while on the elevator was getting to our destination which was the top of the arena man it was high up there!

Sj Sharkie: 5+ Times that I met him he is funny and great he does good for autographs and entertains everybody and sometimes if your lucky he will give you something maybe a high five or even maybe a raspberry or even a shark memorabilia item (he has to really like you)

Danny Miller: 5+ Times Great guy he considers me a fan who always trys to make an effort to go to coolest games of the month and always remembers me and thanks me for coming and always gives me the heads up when the next coolest game will be he signed my puck and was like why do you want me to sign the puck i m not important and i replied yeah you are your the one who announces Sharks Goal! or Power play! or something good and he was thrilled to sign the puck right after that

Mike O' Brian aka sound guy of the tank: 3 times Great guy and very great on to ask what song was played during a certain game he also signed my puck and said wow! no ones ever asked for my autograph before!

Brodie Brazil: 3 times, great guy talkative and he actually signed my jersey which was cool because i think he is one of the fewest people I can actually read the signature! But he is cool

Mikael Tellqvist: He was probably the only back up goalie I know that actually signed a puck during game time which was really cool he was like sure he took off his gloves and was like here enjoy!

Alexander Semin: Became friends with him over the summer and turns out he is a real great guy and very nice I hope to meet him in person one day and get a hockey stick from him he said just ask him and he'd do it for me.

Well, that is all the people that I have met I hope people have some great experiences to right about here are some pictures that I have with some people

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...3_157300_n.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m..._8145466_n.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m..._5603218_n.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...50703288_n.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...r9678671-1.jpg

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/m...678671-1-1.jpg

Kitten Mittons 07-21-2012 01:48 AM

I miss you Semenov. :cry:

Try to smile some time, bro. It looks like they are the ones asking for a picture.

SHARPENCAP 07-21-2012 01:53 AM

I hate smiling lol but if it makes you feel better here you go :-)

param 07-21-2012 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons (Post 52783137)
I miss you Semenov. :cry:

Try to smile some time, bro. It looks like they are the ones asking for a picture.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

Scott Hannan once came at the Jamba Juice I worked at and got a "Peanut Butter Moo'd". Everyone there knew I was a huge Sharks fan so they let me make it and give it to him. I didn't acknowledge him as a player because he looked hella pissed off. I faintly remember saying, "Good luck" as he walked away. I was scared to engage him and say something stupid, like..."yeah playoffs huh? craaazy...am i right?". This was around the time of the '04 playoffs against Calgary. Maybe if Hannan was drinking something healthier than peanut butter mixed with chocolate, we might have won the series.

Met Bernie Nicholls outside the arena while I was getting my tickets. Was surprised he didn't have a flock of people around him, he was just standing there with someone else (you'd think he would get some VIP treatment?). So I approached him and said, "Excuse me, are you Bernie Nicholls?" Very politely with a smile he said, "Yes I am." "That's awesome..." responded Param, not knowing what else to say and quickly ending the conversation with, "...well it was cool meeting you...."

Met Randy Hahn at this Sharks sponsored media day event when back in high school. Randy said something funny about his wife getting a job at the tv station because they thought she was a Mexican gardener (on account of her being Latino). Later when the speeches were over, the buddy I went with, approached Randy and acted casual and cool, and I chimed in with the lamest kiss-ass-brown-nosing line ever..."OH THAT WAS SO FUNNY, haha...you know what you said about your wife...haha....mexican..." Instantly Randy gave this look of, "yeah whatever dumbass" and my buddy gave a similar disapproving look of, "the f--- you doin...dumbass."

Overall, all three interactions were very awkward.

WTFetus 07-21-2012 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHARPENCAP (Post 52783013)
Joe Pavelski: Three times probably the only shark player I've met the most out of anybody, he is very nice and signs anything you ask, plus also took my advice one day when I met him and I told him hey do me a favor score me a goal and that night when he played he wound up scoring two goals and I think he got the game winning goal which was cool!

Good advice bro. It reminds me of that one time I told Tiger Woods to score under par. :sarcasm:

RussianShark 07-21-2012 04:45 AM

I've met most of the Sharks at Logitech, here are just a few things I remember off the top of the head.

Goc is definitely the coolest Shark i've met, great guy, actually an interesting conversation.

Cheech is awesome, Incredibly nice.

Nabby loves attention, loves Russian :laugh:

TMac makes for good convo.

I can definitely share your sentiments on Ricci and Michalek :laugh:

Felys 07-21-2012 05:37 AM

All i remember is Roenick snubbed me asking for an autograph to talk up 2 chicks. My encounters with Kyle McLaren and Patrick Marleau have been nice. Struck up a 10 minute convo with McLaren once.

Nighthock 07-21-2012 10:11 AM

Dean Lombardi literally ran into me outside of the arena after a game one night

Tim Hunter was right behind me in line at one of the Sharks Store sales

I played bubble hockey with Steve Shields at one of the Sharks Fests

The one and only practice I was able to go to at Sharks ice, I was walking out as practice was over and Mike Grier was in my way signing autographs/talking to people - I just sort of stood there and tried to slip by. Sort of odd feeling being taller than him even with him on skates ... he always seemed bigger on tv.

Other than the old Sharks Fest autographs sessions, that's really about it ... nothing special

OffSydes 07-21-2012 10:36 AM

Owen Nolan: He was super nice and I geeked out over this one, he was my favorite player growing up and I was super nervous but he was so nice

Igor Larionov: My friends neighbor was a contractor and was working on his house and took us over to meet him. He was super friendly and his daughters were really nice(we are close to the same age). A few weeks later I'm at a Sharks camp and he is there for the day working with the kids. He comes up to me, remembers my name and asks me how it was going. It made my summer having him remember me like that.

Patrick Marleau: Saw him at Target but let him be because I did not want him to get mobbed by everyone else

Tom Pederson: Played pickup with him at the old Rollin Ice.. he was so insanely better than one out there. He was cool and talked to everyone on the bench between shifts.

Iron Chef 07-21-2012 10:54 AM

Seto - I won a contest he did on Twitter where he would randomly select someone to get 2 tickets to a game, meet him after the game, and get his signed game used stick from that night. He was a little shy at first, but I'm the type of person that treats everyone the same, so I just talked to him like a normal buddy and he opened up.

Brian Boucher - Came through the Starbucks I worked at. This was right after that epic game in the regular season against Detroit that people still say is one of the top 5 regular season home games in franchise history. Everyone working that shift were fans and were all excited about that game. He just gave us a "give me my coffee and leave me alone" vibe. Signed a Sharks cup for me.

Ben Ferriero - My girlfriend met him at The Grill during training camp last season. He was with a bunch of the other prospects. She recognized him but was too scared to talk to him. So her friend took her up to him, introduced her, and asked if they could take a picture together. But she left the camera back at the table, so she left my girlfriend with him and said it was super awkward because my girlfriend isnt good with small talk. So they just stood there in silence until her friend came back.

Clowe/Mayers - My friend saw them together at a bar in Santana Row the day before Mayers left for Chicago. He offered to buy them both a drink. Clowe said yes and was enthusiastic about it, but Mayers told him no and gave him this look like "really? you think you can hang with us just like that?"

Brodie Brazil - Such a cool and down to earth guy. Chatted with him at the Shark Infestation Trip this past season when we stopped at In N Out. I think people didn't know how to approach him, so a lot of times he was just sitting or standing alone at rest stops. So I just introduced myself and he said he recognized my name from Twitter. We got on to talking about how he flies planes and how Im interested in getting my pilot's license.

drumzan 07-21-2012 11:30 AM

Brian Hayward is an incredibly nice guy. Very smart. Pretty sure he's still doing color commentary these days.

sjshrky27 07-21-2012 11:32 AM

I met DW walking to HP back when the Sharks played the Flames in the playoffs (before the lockout). I was standing at the intersection waiting to cross the street and he just kinda showed up next to me. I kidded with him about parking his car in the public lot across the street. He told me he wouldnt have it any other way. I shook his hand and spoke with him for the next 5 minutes or so, and that was it.

He is a class act, and an extreamly nice guy.

sharski 07-21-2012 11:49 AM

I think I'd be too starstruck to say anything if I saw a Sharks player in public

I went to Spin-a-Yarn when Gordon Ramsey came to Fremont (not the night the Sharks players were there, though, unfortunately)... he came up to our table, said whats up, and my jaw just dropped, lol

MadmanSJ 07-21-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptivAte (Post 52784585)
All i remember is Roenick snubbed me asking for an autograph to talk up 2 chicks.

You must not have asked him with enough passion then. He rejects gutless requests.

sharski 07-21-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadmanSJ (Post 52790975)
You must not have asked him with enough passion then. He rejects gutless requests.

yea next time just walk up to him and drop the gloves

bluefunnel 07-21-2012 01:23 PM

Sadly, I've never met any Sharks in person, I get a little shy about things like that.

The closest that I have come was walking towards the arena in Nashville and Ricci was walking about 10 feet behind me. I didn't find out until a couple of other Sharks fans(great people) had told us about it. I wish I had turned around.

ilikebigjoe 07-21-2012 01:41 PM

Joe Thornton: Met and talked to him 4 different times. Once here in WPG and 3 times at the tank before the games. Was happy to sign some things for me, took pictures, shook my hand, and actually made conversation with me and my gf. Super nice guy. Totally remembered us when we saw him last year in WPG (the most recent time we saw him). Seems like he is happy to please his/shark fans. My favorite player.

Patrick Marleau: Met him 2 times. Once before a game at the tank, he was pretty monotone and didnt say much, but when we met him here in WPG, he was awesome, friendly and took pictures with us.

Joe Pavelski: Signed something for me once in SJ, when they came here to WPG he wanted nothing to do with any shark fans lol.

Dan Boyle: Caught him going into the tank before a game. He was late, and was the last one to get there that night. Ppl standing outside the tank said he's usually good but he wouldnt stop since he was already late. Well, he cruised in, rolled down his window and quickly said hi and signed an autograph. Good ol Boyler, couldnt turn down a couple shark fans even.

Side Note** When the sharks came to WPG last year, all of this was the sharks coming outside to see us and it was probably the coldest day of the winter (and we had a mild winter last year) -40 with the wind. -40 celcius is -40 farenheit....so everyone on here should understand how cold it was and that Jumbo and Patty were more than happy to talk with us even out in the ice box.

Iron Chef 07-21-2012 01:45 PM

I cant remember the name of the guy, but one of the Sharks trainers was great to all of the Sharks fans that came out to the game in Vancouver last January. He literally had a bucket of pucks with him and just kept throwing them out to the Sharks fans until pretty much every one in a Sharks jersey left that place with a puck.

Clowe Me 07-21-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by param (Post 52783417)

Met Randy Hahn at this Sharks sponsored media day event when back in high school. Randy said something funny about his wife getting a job at the tv station because they thought she was a Mexican gardener (on account of her being Latino). Later when the speeches were over, the buddy I went with, approached Randy and acted casual and cool, and I chimed in with the lamest kiss-ass-brown-nosing line ever..."OH THAT WAS SO FUNNY, haha...you know what you said about your wife...haha....mexican..." Instantly Randy gave this look of, "yeah whatever dumbass" and my buddy gave a similar disapproving look of, "the f--- you doin...dumbass."

So, Randy's wife is a dude? :sarcasm:

Clowe Me 07-21-2012 02:02 PM

I've never meet any of the Sharks, personally. I've met quite a few MLB players, though. They seem to really appreciate just being talked to like a regular person.

dwood16 07-21-2012 02:04 PM

I met Roenick while working at a restaurant way back in his Flyer days.
He was super down to earth and cool as ****. I think this was right after the nasty Brashear incident and he played with him on the Flyers but still told me that Brash was a huge D-bag, hahaha!

dwood16 07-21-2012 02:07 PM

Oh yeah.... and I was outside of a certain downtown dive bar and a Sharks staff member/driver came running in for a bunch of towels to clean up the puke mess Seto made in the car the night after his first game where he scored 2 goals.

Met Ricci once at the market and he was totally cool.

Ehrhoff ruled too.

RussianShark 07-21-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwood16 (Post 52793285)
Oh yeah.... and I was outside of a certain downtown dive bar and a Sharks staff member/driver came running in for a bunch of towels to clean up the puke mess Seto made in the car the night after his first game where he scored 2 goals.

Met Ricci once at the market and he was totally cool.

Ehrhoff ruled too.

Only 20 at the time... tsk tsk Seto.

dwood16 07-21-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RussianShark (Post 52794873)
Only 20 at the time... tsk tsk Seto.

I know right! Well... what's more embarrassing was that he couldn't hold his liquor hahahaha! However, I have heard that that team could really put them back.

Iron Chef 07-21-2012 03:24 PM

Ive never understood why people need to drink till they puke. I'll have 1 or 2 beers/drinks with friends and I have a great time and still feel that way the next morning.