HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   First Goalie game (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1234169)

Security Guard Chang* 07-21-2012 02:07 AM

First Goalie game

Hey guys, Im 19 years of age and so far have only played some ODR and street hockey . , just wanted to say ill be playing my first game in net tommorow ever ! Prior to three days ago i hadnt ever put on goalie pads . And the first time i put them.on.was quite perplexing ( just wore them without skates ) used to ball hockey pads.

I found a killer deal for the complete set of goalie equipment for only 350 . :)

http://i.imgur.com/iyAe3.jpg

The skates are a little rusted do you guys think i can still get away with using them ?

Any tips out there for a newb beginner being thrown to the sharks ?

Security Guard Chang* 07-21-2012 02:09 AM

Sorry for huge pic ... no idea how to resize

ArrogantOwl 07-21-2012 02:24 AM

Your going to have a miserable time if you can't skate or those skates don't fit properly.

Security Guard Chang* 07-21-2012 02:41 AM

Because of the rust ? Is there anything i can do about it CLR or something ?

Ill take a picture of it

Security Guard Chang* 07-21-2012 02:49 AM

http://i.imgur.com/peInF.jpg

As bad as it looks

Wilch 07-21-2012 03:04 AM

Wow that rust looks pretty bad.

I don't know about goalie skates, but regular skates I think you can have your blades replaced.

ArrogantOwl 07-21-2012 03:42 AM

At the very least they'll need to be cross-ground and resharpened. Unfortunately I think your going to need a new pair of skates regardless and that'll probably tack on another 150 bucks. And you'll need to learn to skate.

Security Guard Chang* 07-21-2012 03:51 AM

I know how to skate , im no pavel bure yet , but i can skate at decent speed although quick turns at top speed ive yet to master . So im good for that , the boot feels good so i guess ill try and mabey get a new blade ..

Any recommonedation for a specific goalie skate ? Is a player skate feasible to use ?

Dustin Peener 07-21-2012 06:04 AM

Rust usually comes off when you get on the ice, or it can be sharpened off.

Gino 14 07-21-2012 06:19 AM

You'll need to get them to a pro shop and hopefully they can save them, I can't believe they are salvageable. You might consider wearing regular skates till you get them taken care of. Don't spend money on new skates just yet.

Izzy 07-21-2012 10:20 AM

First couple times moving around is going to be brutal

clayman 07-21-2012 12:09 PM

It looks like surface rust, so if they fit and are comfortable get them resharpenned. If you can, try to find a person that plays goal now at your rink and get some advice, that would be good. Just jumping out there without knowing if your equipment is correct and not knowing what to expect might be a bit intimidating. Above all just have fun, that's what it's all about!

Good luck!

aurturia 07-21-2012 12:31 PM

Someone mentioned replacing the runner, however on these older models you can't. Only thing you could do to replace the steel is to buy another cowling if you can find one. Like others have said, take it to a shop, a reputable one will test out the blades to see how much its rusted. With any luck they'll run the stones on the sides and it'll just be bad surface rust.
Consider how you'll get them sharpened as well. 5/8" is more on the mild side for goalie although fairly common. 1/2" will give you a larger amount of bite.
Best of luck I hope those blades work out!

ArrogantOwl 07-21-2012 01:55 PM

Also going to assume you have a stick because I don't see one in the pic.

Killion 07-21-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrogantOwl (Post 52793001)
Also going to assume you have a stick because I don't see one in the pic.

... no doubt he's got a stick. :laugh:

Still, we used to get rid of it during practices for both east west & north south training exercises, repeatedly getting up & dropping into a crouch or the butterfly; shot drills & dekes, using only your pads & gloves to stop the puck.

As for the blades pictured above. No problem. Just get them sharpened & good to go or alternatively apply 3 in 1 Oil or even olive oil with a soft cloth & buff it out. Great score on the gear for three hundred & fifty bucks. :)

Fanned On It 07-21-2012 02:46 PM

Just get them to cross-grind and sharpen your blades. That'll take care of the rust no problem. If the skates fit your feet, then there's no need to jump to the conclusion that you need new skates because of a rust problem.

Security Guard Chang* 07-21-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killion (Post 52793209)
... no doubt he's got a stick. :laugh:

Still, we used to get rid of it during practices for both east west & north south training exercises, repeatedly getting up & dropping into a crouch or the butterfly; shot drills & dekes, using only your pads & gloves to stop the puck.

As for the blades pictured above. No problem. Just get them sharpened & good to go or alternatively apply 3 in 1 Oil or even olive oil with a soft cloth & buff it out. Great score on the gear for three hundred & fifty bucks. :)

Should be worded , " great savings on the gear" ;)

JoeCool16 07-21-2012 05:30 PM

You're going to get ventilated, let your defense know you're a rookie and make them force the offence to shoot from far out, because it'll be hard going side-to-side if you've never played before!

Good luck, let us all know how it goes! Count shots/goals so you can give us an accurate save% and GAA!

Goalie guy 07-21-2012 06:35 PM

As far as those skates go, do as posted above get them in asap. do not try to skate with them as they will perform like poop!

The better question that I can not believe that has not been asked yet heve you ever skated in goalie skates? it is a different game bud. let it be know this is your first time, chances are they will all be able to tell any way. go to you tube and look up cory wogtec videos, you will learn a lot from them. to much to go into here. good luck and have fun with it that is the most important thing. work on your angles and staying square to the puck not the shooter.

Hank4Hart 07-21-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goalie guy (Post 52799721)
The better question that I can not believe that has not been asked yet heve you ever skated in goalie skates? it is a different game bud

this x 1000000

neksys 07-22-2012 11:29 AM

I'd take a bit of steel wool to the rust to see if is just on the surface or if its really started to pit the steel. It looks bad but you can never really tell based on that.

As for the rest of it.... good on you for throwing yourself out there. Yeah, you'll probably be terrible, but whatever - you can't learn without falling down. Just make sure your whole team knows you are new to this position on ice. If you go in there cocky, you're going to have a bad time. On the other hand most hockey players have a TON of patience for humble guys who are clearly trying their best, even if you let in a couple dozen goals.

You should post in the "Hockey Noob Chronicles" thread, keep us updated on how your first game went!

clayman 07-22-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neksys (Post 52813581)
I'd take a bit of steel wool to the rust to see if is just on the surface or if its really started to pit the steel. It looks bad but you can never really tell based on that.

As for the rest of it.... good on you for throwing yourself out there. Yeah, you'll probably be terrible, but whatever - you can't learn without falling down. Just make sure your whole team knows you are new to this position on ice. If you go in there cocky, you're going to have a bad time. On the other hand most hockey players have a TON of patience for humble guys who are clearly trying their best, even if you let in a couple dozen goals.

You should post in the "Hockey Noob Chronicles" thread, keep us updated on how your first game went!

Well said...