HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Somewhat OT Football.. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=123457)

Fletch 01-12-2005 11:40 AM

Somewhat OT Football..

but it's really something that can be ported to any sport.

With the Jets, their injury situation seems interesting. Here they are, in the playoffs, with a chance to make some noise. You have a guy, John Abraham, who was cleared to practice a couple weeks ago. Abraham is coming off an All Pro year in which he sprained his knee, but nonethless, it was only a sprain and has rested for about five or six weeks, or more since. He was at one time probable for last week's game, but [he] decided not to play. The reason being speculated is that he doesn't want to potentially hurt it further at the risk of losing out on a big UFA hit at season's end, even though he could've been the difference against the Chargers and was likely well-enough to play (and he's not 100% certain for this week, seemingly willing to sit-out the playoffs and call it a year and get his paycheck, which is fine, as it's his life and his choice).

Enter Chrebret. It seems as though the Super Bowl's been his dream over the last 10 years as a jet, beginning with him making the team as an undrafted longshot. He's recovering from a concussion, but believes he's well-enough to play (even if doctors say he shouldn't because he wants to help his team).

And of course we've heard of all the hockey players who've played with broken bones, sprained everything, especially in the playoffs. Heck, Clint Malarchuk only missed four days after getting his jugular severed in a game and coming wthin minutes of being the second on-ice fatality the NHL has seen.

Perhaps Chrebret is nuts and Abraham is smart. That's probably likely. Chrebret is also a team player and perhaps Abraham really isn't (which isn't meant as a knock, as he needs to do what's best for him and his family, obviously).

Guess I was bored and needed to say something...so there you have it...'something'.

pld459666 01-12-2005 12:24 PM

All I have to say is

Lets Go Pittsburgh

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :handclap:

Fletch 01-12-2005 12:53 PM

It's going to be a good game...

what's the weather forecast, by the way? I was hoping for a snowy game, but that ain't happening.

RangerBoy 01-12-2005 01:30 PM

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

Bluenote13 01-12-2005 01:31 PM

Cold day, maybe 20-25 with the wind chill.

Good stuff Fletch. I'm a Jet fan so i'm ready for disappointment ;)

I think it's selfish of Abraham if he were to sit out if he's not really hurt. It's the playoffs, a good team player would want to play. But then the agents, managers, family, whoever gets inside his head and that may change everything.

Either way i'm looking for a good effort with familiar results, Pitt by a field goal.

Fletch 01-12-2005 01:36 PM

Maybe PITT by a field goal...

but I'm going with the Jets and the points. Unfortunately I did that last week and won, so I don't know what the chances are of that happening twice in one month - let alone the month of January!

Zeus54 01-12-2005 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666
Lets Go Pittsburgh

:yo: :yo: :yo: :yo: :yo:

Barnaby 01-12-2005 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
what's the weather forecast, by the way? I was hoping for a snowy game, but that ain't happening.

Thank God... can you imagine what Bettis would do running against the Jets in the snow :eek:

Prediction: 24-17 Pittsburgh... hope I'm wrong tho...

Zeus54 01-12-2005 05:12 PM

The forecast actually does call for snow showers...

Fletch 01-12-2005 05:21 PM

I just saw that PJ...

30% chance of some snow showers.

Balej20* 01-12-2005 05:55 PM

Remember the game last year in the blizzard with the Jets? That was against Pitt, wasnt it? and the jets pulled it out

pld459666 01-12-2005 07:22 PM

Just like the saying

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS ....

If you say it right, there should be that fourth JETS, the saying leaves you wanting more, just like the team.

The Jets are a franchise that has this Munsters Family type dark cloud hanging over it.

The Terrible Towel will reign supreme come Saturday.

Big McLargehuge 01-12-2005 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balej20
Remember the game last year in the blizzard with the Jets? That was against Pitt, wasnt it? and the jets pulled it out

One of two times in your history you've been able to do that :p:

Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go!

klingsor 01-12-2005 09:23 PM

I really can't blame Abraham, but I don't know if some GMs may be less than excited to offer him a big contract because of this.

We'll see.

Edwards has been very tactful in his approach, but you can bet Lombardi is spinning in his grave.

Son of Steinbrenner 01-12-2005 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Cold day, maybe 20-25 with the wind chill.

Good stuff Fletch. I'm a Jet fan so i'm ready for disappointment ;)

I think it's selfish of Abraham if he were to sit out if he's not really hurt. It's the playoffs, a good team player would want to play. But then the agents, managers, family, whoever gets inside his head and that may change everything.

Either way i'm looking for a good effort with familiar results, Pitt by a field goal.

i've prepared myself for disappointment all week. i honestly think the jets could win the game but i just have a real hard time seeing it happen. there is no shame in losing to a 15-1 team in the second round of the playoffs but you made it this far so at least put up a fight. i think the fact the jets played the steelers pretty tight the first game can only help there cause.

Balej20* 01-13-2005 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
One of two times in your history you've been able to do that :p:

Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go!

lol, im not a Jet fan by any stretch of the imagination. Big Giant fan here.

Zeus54 01-13-2005 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balej20
Big Giant fan here.

:yo: Giant fan here as well (also a Ram and Titan fan)

Fletch 01-13-2005 10:02 AM

100% correct klingsor...

Edwards has really been great throughout this, especially saying today he'll make te decision for Abraham - if you're not 100%, don't bother. I can't blame Abraham either, but, there are just different kinds of players out there. You'd never see Ray Lewis or a Junior Seau do this (Ray Lewis won't even go into the trainer's room when his teammates are around). I was talking with a couple ex-pro (football and baseball) players last night and they can't blame him either, but both of them, if given the opportunity, would play with broken limbs in a game like this (and last week's).

Balej20* 01-13-2005 12:38 PM

Quote:

Edwards has really been great throughout this, especially saying today he'll make te decision for Abraham - if you're not 100%, don't bother. I can't blame Abraham either, but, there are just different kinds of players out there. You'd never see Ray Lewis or a Junior Seau do this (Ray Lewis won't even go into the trainer's room when his teammates are around). I was talking with a couple ex-pro (football and baseball) players last night and they can't blame him either, but both of them, if given the opportunity, would play with broken limbs in a game like this (and last week's).

Shows a lot about Abraham's character, thats for sure. I think he is doing himself more harm then good, in terms of his contract next season, by sitting out. Teams see this and they dont want a guy like that.hes better off taking the risk and playing.

Fletch 01-13-2005 12:55 PM

Teams see that...

but get over it quickly...he could be a difference maker on several teams, most likely. He's a pro bowler and an excellent pass rusher. He competed hard when he was healthy. Maybe it makes a difference, but I doubt it would be a material difference as he would likely expect more than one offer out there, which could turn into a bidding process, which more often than not pushes the pricetag to a point that forgets about this sitting incident.

Slewfoot 01-13-2005 01:12 PM

Quote:

but get over it quickly...he could be a difference maker on several teams, most likely. He's a pro bowler and an excellent pass rusher. He competed hard when he was healthy. Maybe it makes a difference, but I doubt it would be a material difference as he would likely expect more than one offer out there, which could turn into a bidding process, which more often than not pushes the pricetag to a point that forgets about this sitting incident.

Agreed , there is always a few teams that convince themselves that things will be different when a player is on their team and sometimes they are correct. Abraham's history on the Jets is that of a very good player WHEN he is healthy. The Jets may not be too quick to offer up a big price to re-sign him....

Fletch 01-13-2005 01:19 PM

If they can win another game...

without him, then I don't know if they'd be too quick to offer-up a huge increase in pay, saving the money for another position, possibly.

pld459666 01-15-2005 06:02 PM

wanted to bump this

while the Jets are leading.

Just to show that I can eat lots of CROW if need be!!

I don't see the Steelers winning this game. They are not playing smart on offense and they seem off balance. May not be the Steelers day today.

:dunno:

Fletch 01-15-2005 06:15 PM

No crow needed yet...

the Jets really desperately need a big-time wide receiver. In that last possession, they blamed Pennington for a poor throw, which it was, but Moss isn't an elite receive and it was catchable. They lack this guy. Six minutes left...should be interesting as it has been from the get-go... I personally refused to bet on the Jets because I wanted to enjoy the game, although 9 points is a heck of a lot...

pld459666 01-15-2005 06:25 PM

It may just be the Steelers day

A missed 47 yd Field goal

Great field position for Pittsburgh.

Lady Luck is looking kindly on the Black and Gold maybe??