HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Confirmed Signing with Link: Flyers sign Shea Weber to 14-year offer sheet ($7.857M Cap Hit) (Pt VII) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1234631)

Krishna 07-22-2012 10:27 AM

Flyers sign Shea Weber to 14-year offer sheet ($7.857M Cap Hit) (Pt VII)

Continue

FAQ
1. What's the compensation? The average value is just 7.857M, doesnt that mean it's only 2 firsts, a 2nd, and a 3rd?
A: No, as per CBA 10.4, the term used in an offersheet calculation is the lower of the term of the contract and five years. 110M/5 = 22M. 22M > 8.4M. Compensation is four first round picks.

2: How long does nashville have to make a decision?
A: Per CBA 10.3 B+C, if nashville does not exercise their right of first refusal within seven days, Shea Weber can sign a contract with the flyers matching the terms of this offersheet.

3: Can nashville match and trade him?
A: Nashville cannot trade him for one calendar year from the time they match the offersheet. If they wait the full seven days, they cannot trade him until July 26th 2013 (CBA 10.3 B)

4: Wait, what if there's an NTC/NMC? Then isnt Nashville stuck with this contract?
A: Nashville only has to match the principal terms of the offersheet, meaning the salary/signing bonuses/structure. (CBA 10.3 B+E)

5. What if nashville trades him right now to another team?
A: Nashville cannot trade him once he has signed the offersheet (CBA 10.3 A)

ColePens 07-22-2012 10:28 AM

Please remember to keep things civil. There will be no further warnings in the thread.

cttu 07-22-2012 10:32 AM

not too much longer now

bluesfan94 07-22-2012 10:33 AM

I can't imagine Nashville not matching. They would have lost Radulov, Suter, and Weber in this offseason if they don't match

healthyscratch 07-22-2012 10:33 AM

Larry Brooks seems to think the agent talk matters:

Quote:

* At this point, with Weberís representatives having made it clear the defenseman has no interest at all in returning to Nashville, isnít the debate about matching moot?

SSoH 07-22-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by healthyscratch (Post 52811539)
Larry Brooks seems to think the agent talk matters:

If Weber had no interest in playing in NSH he could have signed a 1 year offer sheet then became a UFA, we all know what Weber really wants regardless of his agents words. $$$$$$ the longterm deal and money think about $26M guaranteed with a possible lockout?

tantalum 07-22-2012 10:38 AM

No it's not moot.

If he wanted out of Nashville so badly he shouldn't have signed a contract that could make him a Pred for life. That was a risk when he signed the deal he did and if I'm the Preds I match unless the Flyers are willing to pay a King's ransom in NHL players (not picks).

Krishna 07-22-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cttu (Post 52811521)
not too much longer now

4 more days :cry:
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesfan94 (Post 52811533)
I can't imagine Nashville not matching. They would have lost Radulov, Suter, and Weber in this offseason if they don't match

I don't see why people keep including Radulov in big loses.. He came over at the end of the season and STILL had attitude problems in the playoffs.

Huge loss there

pekkaslap 07-22-2012 10:40 AM

Weber knows going in there's a decent chance Nashville matches the offer sheet when he signs it, bottom line. If he 100% wanted out he wouldn't have taken that risk, and a 14-year one at that.

Prongo 07-22-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSoH (Post 52811613)
If Weber had no interest in playing in NSH he could have signed a 1 year offer sheet then became a UFA, we all know what Weber really wants regardless of his agents words. $$$$$$ the longterm deal and money think about $26M guaranteed with a possible lockout?

If he signed a one year offer sheet and Nashville matched then he would be playing in Nashville. His agents do not just say random **** about Nashville or Weber, they talk to Weber and report what he says to them. If they did anything else, they would be fired for painting Weber a bad portrait. What his agents have been saying during this is extremely important, I don't see why people are not seeing this.

Also the Preds were trying to trade him, the writing is on the walls I would say.

pekkaslap 07-22-2012 10:43 AM

If Weber is going to be a malcontent, then you don't match it. I just don't see that happening though, I don't think he's that kind of guy. I think he'll get his money either way and go out there and play his best hockey for either team. His agent said as much.

SSoH 07-22-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 (Post 52811665)
If he signed a one year offer sheet and Nashville matched then he would be playing in Nashville. His agents do not just say random **** about Nashville or Weber, they talk to Weber and report what he says to them. If they did anything else, they would be fired for painting Weber a bad portrait. What his agents have been saying during this is extremely important, I don't see why people are not seeing this.

Also the Preds were trying to trade him, the writing is on the walls I would say.

Yeah, he would have endure one year of playing for NSH which takes him right to UFA and signs with Philly but he chose to sign a 14 year deal which could keep him in NSH for his life why you ask?

Because after this year and possible lockout there will no ridiculous contracts and long term deals like this. Sure his agents words have truth he would prefer to play in Philly but as long as he gets his $$$, Weber won't really care.

WeThreeKings 07-22-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 (Post 52811665)

But he's also a free agent 1 year later.

Prongo 07-22-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeThreeKings (Post 52811697)
But he's also a free agent 1 year later.

New CBA plays a huge roll in this. He might not be able to get his life time contract with the new CBA.

Snotbubbles 07-22-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pekkaslap (Post 52811655)
Weber knows going in there's a decent chance Nashville matches the offer sheet when he signs it, bottom line. If he 100% wanted out he wouldn't have taken that risk, and a 14-year one at that.

Well one things for sure, money is the most important thing to Weber in this whole situation. Where he plays is secondary, although I tend to take his agents words as accuratly painting Weber's feelings. If they didn't he probably would have made a statement contradicting his agents comments.

pekkaslap 07-22-2012 10:45 AM

For the record, I think Weber's agent is an amateur and an idiot. Weber is the only star client he's ever had from what I can tell.

cttu 07-22-2012 10:46 AM

****. Its Wednesday at 11 pm right? for some reason i was thinking monday

Prongo 07-22-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSoH (Post 52811691)
Yeah, he would have endure one year of playing for NSH which takes him right to UFA and signs with Philly but he chose to sign a 14 year deal which could keep him in NSH for his life why you ask?

Because after this year and possible lockout there will no ridiculous contracts and long term deals like this. Sure his agents words have truth he would prefer to play in Philly but as long as he gets his $$$, Weber won't really care.

Weber's agents also said that they wouldn't have gone down this road if he wanted to play in Nashville. They said he doesn't sign the offer sheet without wanting to play for that team. Weber thinks Nashville will be in rebuild mode, he wants to go somewhere he has a chance to win through the duration of his contract.

SSoH 07-22-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pekkaslap (Post 52811729)
For the record, I think Weber's agent is an amateur and an idiot.

Well you're a NAS fan, i think his agent played it pretty smart he's making it clear to Poile that his player would be unhappy in that market maybe making re-consider matching. I hope NAS does match though, saddens me things like this caused a lockout.

Protest 07-22-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pekkaslap (Post 52811655)

No, I think he prefers to be out of Nashville. However, if he's getting $110 million he'll be fine with being there.

SSoH 07-22-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 (Post 52811745)
Weber's agents also said that they wouldn't have gone down this road if he wanted to play in Nashville. They said he doesn't sign the offer sheet without wanting to play for that team. Weber thinks Nashville will be in rebuild mode, he wants to go somewhere he has a chance to win through the duration of his contract.

Everything you said is true.

Let me ask you this, why would he risk playing 14 years of his life somewhere he doesn't want to play?

Hint: Bank Acco_nt

Krishna 07-22-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cttu (Post 52811737)
****. Its Wednesday at 11 pm right? for some reason i was thinking monday

It feels like it's been a week already :cry:

Kranix 07-22-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 (Post 52811745)

I don't know if Weber is necessarily a "malcontent". He just wants to get his dollars. Being in Philly would be the icing on the cake, but if Nashville matches I don't think he'll wine and complain. I'm sure the Sakic offer sheet of 1997 has been mentioned in the previous threads already. Colorado had just won the cup, and Sakic signed on the dotted line with NYR for big money. But he still smells like a rose in Denver.

healthyscratch 07-22-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tantalum (Post 52811623)
No it's not moot.

If he wanted out of Nashville so badly he shouldn't have signed a contract that could make him a Pred for life. That was a risk when he signed the deal he did and if I'm the Preds I match unless the Flyers are willing to pay a King's ransom in NHL players (not picks).

Agreed. But for those that assume they will match... why weren't they discussing a contract with Shea instead of shopping him around earlier this week?

Snotbubbles 07-22-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightDuck (Post 52811841)
I don't know if Weber is necessarily a "malcontent". He just wants to get his dollars. Being in Philly would be the icing on the cake, but if Nashville matches I don't think he'll wine and complain. I'm sure the Sakic offer sheet of 1997 has been mentioned in the previous threads already. Colorado had just won the cup, and Sakic signed on the dotted line with NYR for big money. But he still smells like a rose in Denver.

Did Sakic or his agent say that he didn't want to play in Colorado anymore? These situations don't quite seem the same. It seems like Sakic didn't mind playing in Colorado because he knew ownership was committed to winning (since they had just re-signed Forsberg). Different vibe here altogether since I think Weber has some reservations about Nashvilles ownership committment.