HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Tampa Bay Lightning (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Will Connolly make the team out of camp? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1234805)

Felonious Python 07-22-2012 05:46 PM

Will Connolly make the team out of camp?

yea or nay?

Private vote, so peoples can't see what you voted for, if you don't want them to know.

If you do want them to know, reply why he should or shouldn't make the team out of training camp.

HoseEmDown 07-22-2012 06:13 PM

He should make the team, he's our top prospect. He's got the size, speed and talent to be a top line player. He played in the League last season, he didn't have he greatest rookie season but showed enough late were he can be a contributor. Playing top minutes in the A is ok but it's no going to get the mos out of his potential, he needs to play against better players. If he plays 3rd line he can improve his defensive game if he plays top 2 he can show his offensive talent. He was the #6 pick who could've been top 3, those players don't typically play in the A and show what they got in the NHL.

PoundCake 07-22-2012 06:18 PM

Here is how I see our lines right now:

Malone // Stamkos // MSL
xxxxxx // Lecavalier // Purcell
Pouliot // xxxxxx // xxxxxx
Pyatt // Thompson // Crombeen

Brown is probably a lock for one of those winger spots, and Connolly doesn't play center, which leaves 1 spot for for him.

He'll have significant competition for that last spot from Conacher. As of right now, Conacher has shown more. So unless Connolly has an amazing summer and dominates at camp, I think he spends the next season in the AHL.

EDIT:
I am assuming Killorn is going to make the team as the #3 center. If they decide to give Pyatt or Thompson a shot at that spot (bumping Hall or Wyman to the 4th line), then I think Connolly will also be competing with Killorn for that last winger spot.

I like Connolly, and want him to do well, but competition is stiff right now.

Pronounced Anders 07-22-2012 06:33 PM

I hope he plays well enough to deserve to stay up here. I saw a lot of offensive instinct from him last year, he was just a little snake bitten. An offseason of solid training (which he's getting) and a little bit of a better shot, he could pot 20+ goals this year.

HoseEmDown 07-22-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoundCake (Post 52824671)
Here is how I see our lines right now:

Malone // Stamkos // MSL
xxxxxx // Lecavalier // Purcell
Pouliot // xxxxxx // xxxxxx
Pyatt // Thompson // Crombeen

Brown is probably a lock for one of those winger spots, and Connolly doesn't play center, which leaves 1 spot for for him.

He'll have significant competition for that last spot from Conacher. As of right now, Conacher has shown more. So unless Connolly has an amazing summer and dominates at camp, I think he spends the next season in the AHL.

EDIT:
I am assuming Killorn is going to make the team as the #3 center. If they decide to give Pyatt or Thompson a shot at that spot (bumping Hall or Wyman to the 4th line), then I think Connolly will also be competing with Killorn for that last winger spot.

I like Connolly, and want him to do well, but competition is stiff right now.

Connolly was a C in juniors but hasn't played there with us. I can see Pyatt getting the 3C spot cause he was our best bottom 6 foward last season. Wyman will most likely be in the A as there are about 4 other fowards on one way deals ahead of him. Conacher was amazing in the A last season but Hans proven anything in the NHL and has to beat out Connolly in camp just like Brown who only played 5 games. Connolly has more size and skill than the two but doesn't have the determination or drive yet of them, if he can show he has worked on that the jobs his to lose.

TheDaysOf 04 07-22-2012 07:10 PM

I have a lot of faith in Connolly and I believe he'll make it. He looked very good at the end of the season. He figured it out. Defensively he was much better and Boucher showed his trust in him with more ice time and playing him in different siuations where he would normally be on the bench. Offensively too he had some of his swag back and was trying dekes and getting good chances to score like he did eariler in the season. If plays like he did to finish the season and makes real good use of this summer, I don't see why not. He's played a year in the NHL and playing under Boucher should help him big time over the AHLers. If he doesn't make the team out of camp, I'd be worried honestly even though he's still young. I believe he'll make it though and improve this sophomore year.

chasespace 07-22-2012 07:19 PM

I see him making the team. We need another top-6 winger and I see it up for grabs between him, Brown, and Pouliout.

LightningStrikes 07-23-2012 01:54 AM

We have a couple of potential top-6 wingers (1 open spot for Pouliot, Brown, Conacher, him and a few others) and I don't see him in our bottom-6 when he could be playing top-6 minutes in the AHL. That's why I still think he'll start the year in Syracuse (but he's probably one of the first guys to get called up in case of injuries). Let's see how much he can improve over the summer and how he performs in camp.

nhljohnson 07-23-2012 07:28 AM

If Connolly gets beat out for a spot, so be it. But you really shouldn't pencil in Conacher or Killorn ahead of him heading into camp; whether or not he should have been with the big club last year, that's a season's worth of big league experience.

DangleDoppler 07-23-2012 08:44 AM

I think that Connolly will be in great shape, and will look a lot better in camp. However, he won't make the team at the beginning of the year because there will be too many better players in front of him.

I think he's going to be in a similar situation as Tyrell was last year.

I'd love for him to make it, but I think some time in Syracuse as a top liner will do him some good.

bassassin 07-23-2012 09:00 AM

IMO he starts the season in Syracuse, SFY doesn't like rushing prospects, Connolly probably was rushed a bit last season. So I see Connolly starting on the top line in Syracuse, beasting the start of the season and being the first call up, then sticking.

I think just dominating the AHL would boost his confidence and hopefully we would see a less snake-bitten Connolly after he's called up.

Still All In 07-23-2012 09:36 AM

Don't think he does.

HoseEmDown 07-23-2012 11:19 AM

This is how I see the fowards outside of the big 5
Pouliot > Connolly > Brown > Pyatt > Conacher > Thompson > Killorn > Crombeen > Tyrell > Wilson > Hall > Wyman
That's just how I see them, we have way too many fowards right now. I'm sure Conacher/Killorn/Tyrell/Wyman all start the year in the A.

Felonious Python 07-23-2012 05:47 PM

Is Connolly in the Lightning's top 12 'best' forwards? Maybe.

Is Connolly the 'right' guy to have in the lineup? Not as he appeared last season. (IMO)

Felonious Python 07-23-2012 09:17 PM

Need I remind anyone that Connolly scored 4 goals last season.

B2k3 07-23-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felonious Python (Post 52879897)

5 goals. :sarcasm:

I'm still sour about that game where both Tim Connolly and Brett Connolly both snuck the puck behind Roloson...

HoseEmDown 07-24-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felonious Python (Post 52879897)

He was also a rookie. Hall scored 2, Wyman 2, Tyrell 0, Brown 0, so why do they deserve a spot. Conacher and Killorn have never played a game in the NHL. He had 11 assists so he showed he knows how to find his teamates he just needs to hit the net, Stamkos had some shooting issues his rookie season.

PoundCake 07-24-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoseEmDown (Post 52892793)
He was also a rookie. Hall scored 2, Wyman 2, Tyrell 0, Brown 0, so why do they deserve a spot. Conacher and Killorn have never played a game in the NHL. He had 11 assists so he showed he knows how to find his teamates he just needs to hit the net, Stamkos had some shooting issues his rookie season.

Well, Hall and Wyman aren't on the team because of their offensive abilities (and also aren't even penciled in on most roster mockups I've seen). Tyrell only played 26 games and Brown only played in 5 (compared to Connolly's 68), so you really can't compare their numbers.

Still All In 07-24-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoseEmDown (Post 52892793)

Hall, Wyman, Tyrell and Brown didn't have motivation issues? Brown showed more offensive flair than Connolly did for the majority of last season? (Tyrell was injured, not an apt comparison)

Many nights he looked like he didn't give a ****, and when he did he was outmatched physically.

zeykshade 07-24-2012 01:42 PM

Brown didn't show offensive flair at all imo. He showed incredible hustle and not a small amount of grit. I don't think Brown is on the same level skillwise as Connolly. He certainly puts his head down and moves his legs though. Some of his defensive plays on the backcheck were highlights imo.

Connolly is going to shock some people in camp.*

*I hope

PoundCake 07-24-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeykshade (Post 52905019)
Brown didn't show offensive flair at all imo. He showed incredible hustle and not a small amount of grit. I don't think Brown is on the same level skillwise as Connolly. He certainly puts his head down and moves his legs though. Some of his defensive plays on the backcheck were highlights imo.

*I hope

I completely disagree about Brown not showing any offensive flair. He may not have gotten on the score sheet much, but the offensive talent was very noticeable.

I agree Connolly has the more raw talent, but raw talent isn't everything. If it was, Vinny would be outproducing Stammer.

I think there is a good possibility Connolly has a great sophomore season, but so far Brown has shown to be the better player as of now.

TheDaysOf 04 07-24-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still All In (Post 52903087)
Hall, Wyman, Tyrell and Brown didn't have motivation issues? Brown showed more offensive flair than Connolly did for the majority of last season? (Tyrell was injured, not an apt comparison)

Many nights he looked like he didn't give a ****, and when he did he was outmatched physically.

I didn't believe he had motivation issues. He struggled, he was frustrated many nights and lost a lot of confidence, and he wasn't playing at the level he needed to under Boucher, but he worked hard over the season and we saw the transformation to being a competent player and not a liability. He had his ears open to all instructions and put the time in outside of games. If he didn't have that willingness or focus he wouldn't have been given the ice time he earned the last 20 or so games.
Quote:

Originally Posted by PoundCake (Post 52905449)
I completely disagree about Brown not showing any offensive flair. He may not have gotten on the score sheet much, but the offensive talent was very noticeable.

I agree Connolly has the more raw talent, but raw talent isn't everything. If it was, Vinny would be outproducing Stammer.

I think there is a good possibility Connolly has a great sophomore season, but so far Brown has shown to be the better player as of now.

I don't know how that could be given that Brown only played 5 games. Go back to the beginning of the season and Connolly put up more points than anyone on our team during the preseason and looked very good in his tryout games and the ones after that before he started to slow down and Boucher started show him tough love. You could very right that Brown turns out to be the better player, but I don't think we can compare just yet.

bassassin 07-24-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeykshade (Post 52905019)

*I hope

How can you say no offensive flair?

How many players think of that let alone pull it off on the fly in their first 5 NHL games?

PoundCake 07-24-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

I don't know how that could be given that Brown only played 5 games. Go back to the beginning of the season and Connolly put up more points than anyone on our team during the preseason and looked very good in his tryout games and the ones after that before he started to slow down and Boucher started show him tough love. You could very right that Brown turns out to be the better player, but I don't think we can compare just yet.
I understand that 5 games is a small sample size, but it's the only sample we have. In those 5 games, Brown was significantly better.

I'm not saying that Brown will turn out to be the better player. What I am saying is that currently Brown is the better player, based of the latest available data (last season).

Still All In 07-24-2012 11:13 PM

Browns got swagger.