HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Around the NHL XIX | Back in action! | Next Game: @ Jets, 3pm (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1234837)

OmniSens 07-22-2012 07:00 PM

Around the NHL XIX | Back in action! | Next Game: @ Jets, 3pm

Old thread passed 1000 posts.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1189193

Now then... WHEN WILL THE SUMMER END !?

Qward 07-22-2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmniSens (Post 52825817)
Old thread passed 1000 posts.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1189193

Now then... WHEN WILL THE SUMMER END !?

Winter is coming

topshelfie 07-22-2012 07:48 PM

Just rain non stop for a few days, please

CanadianHockey 07-22-2012 07:49 PM

Just in reply to the whole previous CBA negotiations, the principle NHL stance was to tie player salaries into league revenues, with parity for small market teams being a secondary concern.

Powdered Toast Man 07-22-2012 08:50 PM

I do not think you can deny that the function of having a floor and a ceiling, requiring all teams to come in between the two, is to create some semblance of parity whether it was a talking point or not. I full acknowledge that everything the Flyers has done has been done within the system, I just think the whole thing is awfully Joseph Stalin-esque. You know? Rich and powerful waving around their clout to the direct detriment of the poor despite the fact the entire system is designed to minimize, if not eliminate, said disparity.

Flamingo 07-22-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man (Post 52828981)
I do not think you can deny that the function of having a floor and a ceiling, requiring all teams to come in between the two, is to create some semblance of parity whether it was a talking point or not. I full acknowledge that everything the Flyers has done has been done within the system, I just think the whole thing is awfully Joseph Stalin-esque. You know? Rich and powerful waving around their clout to the direct detriment of the poor despite the fact the entire system is designed to minimize, if not eliminate, said disparity.

Oh, why dontcha just cling tenaciously to my buttocks?

Powdered Toast Man 07-22-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flamingo (Post 52829251)
Oh, why dontcha just cling tenaciously to my buttocks?

You have me confused with someone else. I'm Marcel Trestman, cool youth deacon.

BonkTastic 07-22-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man (Post 52828981)

I don't think that analogy works at all, but I think I realize what you're trying to say.

The NHL is trying to "fix" their system (and not "fix" like "rig the system", but "repair what is broken"), for the benefit of the league as a whole, and all the richer (and dumber) franchises seem to want to do is sabotage that effort at every level.

It's like Baseball. MLB is so horribly, completely broken as a model due in LARGE part because of the unwillingness of the rich teams to recognize that it needs the smaller teams to not only be around so that they have someone to play, but they need them to be competitive in order to maintain their franchise value, strength of schedule, longer season, etc... There's a reason Baseball has gone through a multi-decade run of consistently record low youth involvement on a year-to-year basis... the entire system is broken, and fans have a hard time getting emotionally tied to perennially losing, cash-strapped teams. The longer that MLB continues with it's current financial model without doing something about the spiraling of salaries, the worse it will be when they finally realize they need to recover from it.

Anyways, tangent aside, the NHL isn't even close to what the MLB is as far as broken systems goes... but there is definitely a parallel in the sense that rich teams tend not to be able to see past their own self-interest, and even then, they can't see past how their destructive behavior will hurt themselves in the long run, without a thought to how their actions have a negative effect on their own ability to operate, let alone the league as a whole.

I mean, the now-expiring Lockout CBA was a start, though many could argue it has failed. Remember back before 2005, when teams like the Rangers used to try to buy their way into the playoffs every year, and failed miserably? The then-new CBA in '05 forced the Rangers to look towards drafting and developing their own talent, and in the 6 years since the NHL basically forced their hand, they accomplished more by growing their own players than they ever did in the 10 years prior, when they tried to buy success.

The CBA was a very good start, but there were too many loopholes, too many lawyers who failed to look past the first few years of the CBA, and see what it would eventually become. In 2005/06, and the following year, the league really WAS at it's highest level of parity. I'm sure the league is going to try to get back to where it was for those first few years of the CBA, though boneheaded GM's like Holmgren are standing in the way and shooting his own owner in the foot, though neither of them will realize it until it's too late.

With the failure of some of the sunbelt teams, I think Bettman is going to try to tie his legacy on these CBA talks, and this CBA in particular. Considering we lost an entire year of hockey the last time around, and how much more he seems adamant in getting the owners his "legacy deal", something he hopes will be his lasting impression on the game of hockey, that's a scary, scary thought.

HavlatMach9 07-22-2012 10:29 PM

Does anyone remember the game vs the Capitals that was on TSN this year?
The broadcasters were raving about Karlsson so much and then he scored.

Check this vid if anyone wants to relive it

playasRus 07-22-2012 11:20 PM

That Michalek goal was pretty saweeeet/

OgieO 07-23-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 (Post 52831779)
Does anyone remember the game vs the Capitals that was on TSN this year?
The broadcasters were raving about Karlsson so much and then he scored.

Check this vid if anyone wants to relive it

Thanks for that. A nice little Sens fix for the long summer. I miss watching EK work his magic.

RedWhiteBlackGold 07-23-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

VISNOVSKY FILES GRIEVANCE ON TRADE TO ISLANDERS
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401271

Maybe he finally seen their dressing room?

Pilgore88 07-23-2012 01:24 PM

Rick Nash to the Rangers done deal according to Dreger. Details to come after phone hearing and contracts gone over.

If Howson doesn't get at least the deal offered at the trade deadline, his grave will be dug, and by the way he has done his job, will be 50 ft deep.

PKC* 07-23-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Officer Farva (Post 52847845)
Rick Nash to the Rangers done deal according to Dreger. Details to come after phone hearing and contracts gone over.

If Howson doesn't get at least the deal offered at the trade deadline, his grave will be dug, and by the way he has done his job, will be 50 ft deep.

I hope NTC/NMC are removed in the next CBA. I'm really disappointed that we couldn't get this guy because we weren't "on his list".

SelleckStache 07-23-2012 01:48 PM

What was the rumored deal from Ottawa?

Iamok 07-23-2012 01:50 PM

Lehner + MZ + Foligno (& Howson wanted Stone as well.)

JonnyMacSen 07-23-2012 01:51 PM

Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon and a 1st for Rick Nash.

Thats pretty awefull

BonkTastic 07-23-2012 01:52 PM

Confirmed:

To :rangers :
- Rick Nash

To :cbj :
- Brandon Dubinsky
- Tim Erixson
- Atrem Anisimov
- 1st rounder

... Sather successfully trades off spare parts for Rick Nash. I'm shocked at how bad Scott Howson is at being an NHL GM.

OmniSens 07-23-2012 01:54 PM

Gaborik gets injured all season, Richards can't find his game, Nash is all alone, hits about 3 posts a game. You heard it here first

:sarcasm:

PatrickEaves 07-23-2012 02:05 PM

Countdown to when Erixon demands a trade back to the Rangers in 3.... 2... 1...

Powdered Toast Man 07-23-2012 02:14 PM

Umberger-Brassard-Prospal
Dubinsky-Johansen-Foligno
McKenzie-Anisimov-Aktinson
Dorsett-Letestu-Boll

Killl mee....killll me

BonkTastic 07-23-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man (Post 52854467)
Dorsett-Letestu-Boll

Killl mee....killll me

Isn't Dubinksy a center? I thought he only played on the wing in NY due to "the numbers game" and being buried up the middle.

PKC* 07-23-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man (Post 52854467)
Dorsett-Letestu-Boll

Killl mee....killll me

That is easily the worst forward corps in the NHL. That's almost AHL calibre. I'm not even joking.

Icelevel 07-23-2012 02:20 PM

Rangers get rid of players they didn't want and add rick nash? That just happened?

Synthetek 07-23-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PKC (Post 52854981)
That is easily the worst forward corps in the NHL. That's almost AHL calibre. I'm not even joking.

This... WOW I can't believe how bad this is.