HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Which Prospect Were You Completely Wrong About? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1234955)

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina 07-22-2012 11:29 PM

Which Prospect Were You Completely Wrong About?

Obviously, some "blue chip" prospects bust (Noah Welch), while others seemingly come out of nowhere (Ryan Malone). We've all had players we thought were going to be stars and were sorely disappointed, as well as had players we thought for sure would bust pleasantly surprise us. But what has been something you've either thought or said on this board which couldn't have been more wrong?

When this board was flipping out over not qualifying Matt Moulson, I compared that to when people were upset because they let Rick Berry walk. 3 straight 30+ goal seasons later, boy do I ever look like an idiot.

Ogrezilla 07-22-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don'tcry4mejanhrdina (Post 52833087)
Obviously, some "blue chip" prospects bust (Noah Welch), while others seemingly come out of nowhere (Ryan Malone). We've all had players we thought were going to be stars and were sorely disappointed, as well as had players we thought for sure would bust pleasantly surprise us. But what has been something you've either thought or said on this board which couldn't have been more wrong?

When this board was flipping out over not qualifying Matt Moulson, I compared that to when people were upset because they let Rick Berry walk. 3 straight 30+ goal seasons later, boy do I ever look like an idiot.

I thought Engells was nothing but a fighter.

ColePens 07-22-2012 11:37 PM

Luca Caputi has to be all over this thread. I've been a student of the game playing/watching since I was 4 years old (1989). But I only really paid attention to the prospect aspect of it while lurking the boards during the x-gen years. The two guys who I just thought would be the future of the Pens were Welch and Caputi.

That's the day when I learned to give up on prospects and just trust the regulars around here who invest good time in evaluating them.

Ogrezilla 07-22-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColePens (Post 52833229)
Luca Caputi has to be all over this thread. I've been a student of the game playing/watching since I was 4 years old (1989). But I only really paid attention to the prospect aspect of it while lurking the boards during the x-gen years. The two guys who I just thought would be the future of the Pens were Welch and Caputi.

That's the day when I learned to give up on prospects and just trust the regulars around here who invest good time in evaluating them.

ya I thought Caputi would be a solid player at least.

Mr. T 07-23-2012 12:03 AM

Welch and Ryan Stone for me. I thought those guys would be NHLers no matter what. Oops.

Johannes Salmonsson and Daniel Fernholm taught me that first round/top 10 talent falling out of the first round usually occurs with good reason.

Ominous Grey 07-23-2012 12:04 AM

I really believed Ryan Stone would be a solid 3rd liner. I also believed Tomas Surovy would be a 25-30 goal scorer.

I also really loved Milan Kraft, and thought Ian Moran was irreplaceable.

I've been wrong far too often.

Blitzburgh87* 07-23-2012 12:05 AM

Janne pesonen...

Ominous Grey 07-23-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. T (Post 52833729)
Welch and Ryan Stone for me. I thought those guys would be NHLers no matter what. Oops.

Johannes Salmonsson and Daniel Fernholm taught me that first round/top 10 talent falling out of the first round usually occurs with good reason.

But he was great in the video games. :sarcasm:

Wes C Addle 07-23-2012 12:10 AM

Filewich. Really thought he'd be in the league. Conversely I never thought Bissonnette would be, even if he did re-invent his game

Sidney the Kidney 07-23-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogrezilla (Post 52833169)
I thought Engells was nothing but a fighter.

This one for me. In fact, I didn't even think he'd be that good as an NHL enforcer.

He's made me a fan.

Dylonus 07-23-2012 12:16 AM

Definitely Noah Welch. I remember pimping the hell out of him.... :facepalm:

I'll admit, I thought Surovy and Eric Meloche would be great top-6 forwards... :laugh:

Big McLargehuge 07-23-2012 12:31 AM

Welch definitely is up there, but we also have to remember that injuries definitely destroyed his career (albeit after he was out of the organization).

On the injury note, Ben Eaves, who played only 50 professional games on his three-year entry contract (including 5 in the last two years). I thought Eaves was going to be captain material.

On the defensive front I've always been behind the defensive defenseman prospects...which made me look really good when Rob Scuderi became 'the piece', but less good when Ryan Lannon failed to play a NHL game (though finding out he played for KalPa when I was in Kuopio did thrill me to the point where I almost bought a jersey of his :laugh: ).

The list is long. I though Milan Kraft was going to be the next great Czech Penguin, I had extremely high hopes for Konstantin Koltsov, I was sure that Michal Sivek was going to win a Selke, and maybe my biggest whiff would be Tomas Duba, who I had pegged as the Penguins' goalie of the future. Robert Dome is also up there, but I was also only 10 when he was drafted and he broke into the league wearing my number so I'll cut myself some slack with that one.

On the Moulson/Berry split...I was on the proper side of both of those, at least. I was probably Moulson's biggest fan here...that hurt and it still hurts. Rick Berry just sucked, though...but everyone wanted him to be Darius Kasparaitis so much (especially because he was received in the Kasparaitis trade)...but Berry took himself out of the play way too often and never seemed to have a clue where he was on the ice. We just wanted someone who could hit so badly that we didn't seem to care if they could actually play the game.

Jaded-Fan 07-23-2012 12:40 AM

I think the common sentiment expressed at the time he was drafted was 'who the **** is Alex Goligoski?'

Konstantin Koltsov 07-23-2012 12:51 AM

Andy Chiodo. I'm probably the only one.

Oh, and from the same era, Matt Murley.

jmelm 07-23-2012 01:05 AM

The only one I wad dead wrong about was Johannes Salmonsson. This kid had a really good juniors, and had a big & projectable frame. He really did look A LOT like Magnus Paajarvi.

I was quite surprised about Daniel Fernholm. He had a really big frame, but he could skate pretty well for a big guy and seemed to have a good around game. I thought he could have made an impact when I watched him. Although I'm surprised he never made it with this organization during our "dark" years, he has been a good player in Sweden and has represented him internationally. So he has, in fact, performed pretty well. Just not in NA.

I suppose I was also a little wrong with Sersen, and even moreso Bolf. Not that I expected either to be impact-type players, but I tought both would at least see some time at the NHL level.

I also did really like Matt Moulson. I tried to catch a lot of his games and he was always impressive, and who knows what would happen if we did sign him. Maybe he would have still toiled for a while before finding himself in another organizations.

Three guys I really DID NOT like and I was right about was Ondjrei Nemec, Ryan Stone, and Patrick Barschi. So I was not surprised at all that none of these guys cut it at the NHL level.

Zen Arcade 07-23-2012 01:18 AM

I thought Letang would be solid, but not the gamebreaking player he's turned into. I was hestitant about moving Whitney as a result of this.

I thought Konstantin Koltsov would at least be a solid bottom sixer, if nothing else.

Not a prospect, but I fought tooth and nail about Dick Tarnstrom, explaining how his passing would make him a huge asset with the red line removed. Whoops.

Going way back, as a kid I liked Ed Patterson for some inexplicable reason.

Honour Over Glory 07-23-2012 04:54 AM

Tyler Kennedy.

I thought he had decent potential to be a solid enough 2nd liner when he was drafted...man was I wrong.

FDBluth 07-23-2012 05:48 AM

Letang. I didn't think he had the hockey sense to be an elite defenseman. I guess his athleticism kinda makes up for it.

jdc147 07-23-2012 05:50 AM

Shane Endicott - Put up good numbers for WBS, however, at NHL level .....:shakehead

Last seen - 2010-11 Pontebba Italy

GP G A PTS PIM
40 13 26 39 32

OnMyOwn 07-23-2012 05:55 AM

I think pretty much the entire x-gen is a facepalm

wej20 07-23-2012 06:19 AM

I thought Caputi would end up as a solid 3rd liner.

#66 07-23-2012 06:28 AM

I didn't like Goligoski and Blueger as picks. Its easy to see why the Pens like them once seeing them play but they were totally off the map. I guess the Pens hear about who else is interested in kids so they take them higher.

I never thought Welch would be an offensive player but I did think he would be a good defensive defenseman. What ever happened to him? I seem to remember him having a really bad injury.

Johannes Salmonsson looked so good in that one WJC and then just flatlined. I blame the SEL on that one. He was getting 4 mins a night before going to Spok and then didn't seem interested in playing hockey anymore once he got there. I still remember people saying he could hardly skate at a prospect camp.

TheSniper26 07-23-2012 07:01 AM

For me, it was Kraft. I remember watching him and thinking he had the size, pretty good hands and decent hockey IQ. I never thought he'd be a star or anything, but I thought he could be be a good top 6 contributor. One thousand bank plays off the back off the net later and I saw the writing on the wall.

I was also wrong about Goligoski. I just thought he was way too soft and too scrawny to be an impact player at the NHL level. Thankfully he turned out to be good enough to snag us the winger we've been waiting for.

Le Magnifique 66 07-23-2012 07:22 AM

Luca Caputi for sure. I mean he had an unbelievable season in the juniors coming off a 50 goal season I believe and he actually played down well in WBS. Sucks he couldn't have maintained his play

Ryan Stone was another I thought would have been a good NHLer, guess not.

Also thought Esposito was going to make all those teams regret not taking him, yes he was traded but even until he was he was totally useless and I couldn't have been more wrong

clefty 07-23-2012 07:31 AM

I'm still not entirely sure why Matt Murley didn't make it. He could skate, he had skill, he could kill penalties and was defensively responsible - I actually saw him play spot duty as a defenseman for Wilkes-Barre for a couple of games when they were decimated by injury and he looked fantastic back there. Size wasn't a problem, and he was a natural leader to boot.

On paper, he looked a slam dunk if not as the complimentary scorer he was drafted to be, but as a two-way checking winger. It was all there, but the complete package just never came together.