HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Dallas Stars (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Prospect Info: [#5] Voting -- HFStars 2012 Top-20 Prospects -- [#6] Discussion (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1235171)

BigG44 07-23-2012 12:32 PM

[#5] Voting -- HFStars 2012 Top-20 Prospects -- [#6] Discussion

As piqued mention, I'm stepping in for him for the next week while he is away.

‏‏‏‏ 
pos.
country
acquired
round
change
% of vote
 ‏‏‏‏Jack Campbell
G
1st
 ‏‏‏‏Jamie Oleksiak
D
1st
 ‏‏‏‏Alex Chiasson
RW
2nd
 ‏‏‏‏Radek Faksa
C
1st
new

BigG44 07-23-2012 12:36 PM

I figured it would be easier to just reference this for why I chose Dillion, and why I'm going Nemeth next.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigG44 (Post 52800829)
Next spot is down to Dillon, Eakin, Glennie, and Nemeth for me.

I put Dillon ahead of Nemeth at this point even though I'm actually a bigger fan of Nemeth. I like his attitude and compete level which endears me to him, but Dillon probably has better offensive upside. That's not to say there is anything wrong with Dillon's attitude. Nemeth seems like more of a character .. a guy that can win over the fans like Steve Ott did. I still recognize that Dillon seems to have slightly better upside though. I think they're pretty much equal in defense, size, and skating. Nemeth might be a tad bit nastier, but Dillon is mean enough.

Between Glennie and Eakin I think I'm giving the edge to Glennie. They both share solid speed though Eakin seems to be touted to be slightly better in that department. Since their offensive and defensive games seem to also be fairly similar I think it's a wash. Eakin's stats are slightly better, but he was also on a significantly better team that scores much more as a group than Texas. Hershey is always a pretty dynamic, offensive team. It comes to down to a tie-breaker for me on size. Glennie is built a bit bigger. That said, I should probably count him off just as much for the injuries. Really ... it's a coin toss, and I'm going with Glennie.

So do I go Dillon or Glennie? I'm still pretty excited about Glennie. I think he'll end up being a good pro. Will it be with Dallas? That I'm not so sure about. In this instance, I'm going with Dillon being closer to the NHL even though that's probably pretty razor thin. I'll say the same for Nemeth ... I really like this guy, and he's probably going to make a bigger impact sooner than Glennie. That's more the nature of Dallas' roster though IMO.

I'll go Dillon, Nemeth, Glennie, and then Eakin.

Primetimey 07-23-2012 12:48 PM

Going with Cody Eakin here. I understand why most people will pass on him because they haven't followed his development, or seen him play much but he is certainly the next best player in my eyes.

His last two seasons in the WHL were stellar, he dominated the Memorial Cup with Kootenay, and played for Team Canada at the World Juniors. Goes professional this past year and has a good season for Hershey plus he got some experience in the NHL.

Eakin at #5 for me.

Chaos 07-23-2012 01:05 PM

Going with Dillon at #5. Next up, I'll agree with Primetimey and say Eakin. He's a guy I think we'd all be alot more excited about if he had come up through our system. He put up fantastic numbers in his 18 and 19 year old seasons in juniors, and had a ver solid 1/2 season as a 20 year old between the AHL and NHL last year.

Ambassador Of Fun 07-23-2012 01:09 PM

Nemeth, Dillon, Eakin.

English stars fan 07-23-2012 01:13 PM

This is getting more and more difficult. Given Eakin has 2C potential and has NHL time he's next on my list. Then it's a big scrum between Glennie, Nemeth and Dillon, but I think Dillon gets the nod as being slightly more read for the big time. I'd like to see Nemeth adjust to North American rinks before getting too excited

Ub the Bub 07-23-2012 01:14 PM

If Nemeth holds on I'm gonna have dark horse for the next couple of rounds to vote for since I'm sure I'm more or less alone in voting for him... I just have a very good feeling about Byström...

And there's a 3 in front of Faksa... Nitpick perhaps but still...

txomisc 07-23-2012 01:18 PM

I am going with Reilly Smith on this one and since he wont be winning for awhile Ill just give my opinion on Dillon vs Nemeth. Its very close between those two for me but I'd give the edge to Dillon. I think the gap between the gap between their offensive output will be greater than the gap between their defensive games. I'd say Dillon could be a 30 point kind of guy whereas Nemeth will likely be a 15 point kind of guy.

MetalGodAOD 07-23-2012 01:26 PM

I think Fraser needs more love. His goal scoring ceiling is pretty high.

To me on upside.. Eakin = Dillon. Both project to be 2nd/3rd line or top 4/bottom 6 tweeners. Both are NHL ready.

Skill wise, Nemeth, R. Smith and Fraser beat both of them. R. Smith isn't NHL ready yet though, while Fraser I believe is very close. Nemeth is close but not as close as Dillon.

I generally vote upside over NHL readiness, so I rank them as Fraser > R. Smith > Nemeth > Dillon = Eakin.

Glennie gets lost because of his inconsistency.

Fly Like a C5 07-23-2012 01:30 PM

5. Dillon
6. Nemeth - Nemeth just gets edged out by Dillon. I think Nemeth has a slightly higher potential but Dillon will make the NHL first. I think Nemeth has the ability to be a stronger and meaner version of Grossman which excites me.
7. Fraser, Eakin, R. Smith, and Glennie. Haven't really decided how to rank these guys yet, but this is my next group.

LatvianTwist 07-23-2012 01:51 PM

Nemeth here, I see a bigger impact long term than Dillon.

Dillon next, and then Eakin.

Stars99Lobo37 07-23-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ub the Bub (Post 52844779)
And there's a 3 in front of Faksa... Nitpick perhaps but still...

Fixed. :handclap:

Ogi1Kenobi 07-23-2012 02:30 PM

Dillon, Eakin, Glennie, R. Smith, Nemeth

Modo 07-23-2012 02:51 PM

Went with Eakin, but it looks like Dillon's got this one wrapped up.

Hull Fan 07-23-2012 03:36 PM

voted Dillon. Kid will make it easier to flip Fistric and his steady influence along with the maturation of Nemeth and Olesiak will hopefully make Robidas expendable this next offseason.

Next up Eakin/Nemeth. I love the potential of both but to me a good 2nd line center, which Eakin could be trumps a 2nd pairing defenseman. Nemeth is needed on this blueline but Eakin could potentially fill an even bigger hole.

DMaz16 07-23-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnholyPrince (Post 52845185)
To me on upside.. Eakin = Dillon. Both project to be 2nd/3rd line or top 4/bottom 6 tweeners. Both are NHL ready.

Personally I think Dillons ceiling is lower than Eakin's however at worst they have similar ceilings and are both NHL ready as UP says... Assuming Dillon gets voted in Eakin should be next

I'm getting sick of voting for him lol

BigG44 07-23-2012 04:54 PM

Even though Dillon is pretty far in front, I'd like to try and get at least 35 votes before we move on.

I think there were 49 in the last poll.

DMaz16 07-23-2012 04:54 PM

As for after Eakin finally gets voted in right now I'm debating between Glennie, Fraser, and R. Smith... I'm not sold on Nemeth I'm not sure he has the skills to be anything more than a AHL/NHL tweener or a career euro leaguer

Jere26 07-23-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LatvianTwist (Post 52846053)
Nemeth here, I see a bigger impact long term than Dillon.

Dillon next, and then Eakin.

Same opinion here.
Dillon seems to have the edge so far, especially as he's more NHL-ready. Otherwise I can't really explain why he'd overtake Nemeth, especially when looking at last year's ranking & seeing how well Nemeth has developed over the past year. Or maybe locals here attended Texas Stars game more frequently and were blown away by Dillon without seeing the progress our Swede made over the same period of time. It's a very close one though.

txomisc 07-23-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jere26 (Post 52863633)
Same opinion here.
Dillon seems to have the edge so far, especially as he's more NHL-ready. Otherwise I can't really explain why he'd overtake Nemeth, especially when looking at last year's ranking & seeing how well Nemeth has developed over the past year. Or maybe locals here attended Texas Stars game more frequently and were blown away by Dillon without seeing the progress our Swede made over the same period of time. It's a very close one though.

Its all about the offense. Nemeth has very very little where as it may be a strength for dillon.

BigG44 07-23-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jere26 (Post 52863633)
Same opinion here.

I agree the offense was the motivating factor for me picking Dillon over Nemeth, but I'm almost more excited about Nemeth going pro because of how he fits in Dallas' D pairs.

When you look at Dallas' core according to the front office of Daley and Goligoski along with the young players in Larsen, Dillon, Nemeth, and Oleksiak ... you see that there's a very good chance Nemeth plays with Goligoski, and he IMO is the ideal partner for him.

The way the team is built right now, your three D most likely to play RD are Larsen and Daley as a virtual lock followed by Nemeth who played some RD internationally and for his home team. The future roster also tends to lend it self for a perfect balance of a larger D playing with an average sized D.

Therefore, I think it's reasonable to conclude you will likely end up with a Goligoski-Nemeth pair, and my hope is that occurs much sooner rather than later. I hate the fact it's looking like Goli and Robidas could be paired together this year. A physical specimen like Nemeth, IMO, is the perfect compliment to Goli.

BigG44 07-23-2012 07:55 PM

As long as the majority are OK with it, I'm going to move forward tomorrow morning. We're already at 34 votes, and I'm sure will pick up some more over the evening hours.

I'll get the poll up for #6 in the morning.

catters078 07-23-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigG44 (Post 52863035)
Even though Dillon is pretty far in front, I'd like to try and get at least 35 votes before we move on.

I think there were 49 in the last poll.

35th vote is in sir.

I went Nemeth, JUST over Dillon, i swayed both ways, but give Nemeth the edge because of the level of hockey he has performed well in already, says to me we can confidently be assured nemeth will be a top 4 (likely 2nd pair) shut down defender.

LatvianTwist 07-23-2012 10:26 PM

Future D pairings the way I see it:

Goligoski - Oleksiak
Nemeth - Larsen
Daley - Dillon