HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   When was the last time we had a legit 1st line? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1235703)

sir_captain 07-24-2012 01:32 AM

When was the last time we had a legit 1st line?

By that, I mean a 1st line with 3 world-class 1st line type players.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr certainly put up the numbers in 06-07, but I doubt I'm alone in feeling that Straka and Nylander mostly benefited from Jags.

I'd almost have to go back to the 1995-1997 era with Gretzky, Messier, Verbeek, Graves, Robitaille, Kovalev, etc to find a talent level on par with Nash/Richards/Gabi

Thoughts?

TheRightWay 07-24-2012 01:33 AM

Jagr for sure was the biggest part of it but let's not undermine Straka and Nylander; the chemistry of that line was absolutely absurd and was a legitimate first line.

NYwRiter94 07-24-2012 01:42 AM

Name three teams in the league that have an all All-Star first line.

I get that our first line has never really been a true first line because of the nature of Torts' game, but even with just Richards and Gaborik last year, our first line outclassed that of most teams we played.

Blueshirt Believer 07-24-2012 01:43 AM

straka-nylander-jagr was an outstanding first line. Nylander was a tailor made center for Jagr, and Jags was a lesser player when he left.

Calad 07-24-2012 01:48 AM

Nash Richards Gaborik won't be our top line

sir_captain 07-24-2012 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer (Post 52889461)
straka-nylander-jagr was an outstanding first line. Nylander was a tailor made center for Jagr, and Jags was a lesser player when he left.

Oh definitely. But look at what Nylander did in Washington without Jagr, right? But yes, that line definitely delivered.

sir_captain 07-24-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calad (Post 52889535)

True. More a thought exercise.

Inferno 07-24-2012 01:52 AM

the Sens had Alfie, Heatley and Spezza as a line....Sharks had Thornton Marleau and Heatley as a line...not too many other true blue superstar top lines out there...rangers will be MUCH better off splitting those guys up.

Blueshirt Believer 07-24-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sir_captain (Post 52889539)
Oh definitely. But look at what Nylander did in Washington without Jagr, right? But yes, that line definitely delivered.

Nylander suffered a major injury when he was with the Caps, which accelerated the end of his career in the NHL. Both players suffered from each others absence.

rickyrod 07-24-2012 02:45 AM

Nylander and Straka did benefit from Jags, but Jags benefited just as much by having them on his line, while he couldn't make anything work with Dru or Gomer. "First line player" has always been an overrated idea. I'll take chemistry any day of the week.

skymachine 07-24-2012 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickyrod (Post 52890235)
Nylander and Straka did benefit from Jags, but Jags benefited just as much by having them on his line, while he couldn't make anything work with Dru or Gomer. "First line player" has always been an overrated idea. I'll take chemistry any day of the week.

Agreed. I remember when many posters here were not satisfied with Nylander in 2007 since he was not a "true first liner". Yet he had over 80 points if I remember. Then we signed Gomez and Drury and fans rejoiced for finally getting true first liners.

BBKers 07-24-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeHat (Post 52890307)
Agreed. I remember when many posters here were not satisfied with Nylander in 2007 since he was not a "true first liner". Yet he had over 80 points if I remember. Then we signed Gomez and Drury and fans rejoiced for finally getting true first liners.

Several of those Besserwissers are now on my ignore list
Straka - Nylander - Jagr
Was legit
But not by the know-it-all anti Euro fraction

RangersFan 07-24-2012 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYwRiter94 (Post 52889445)
Name three teams in the league that have an all All-Star first line.

Chicago: Sharp-Toews-Kane/Hossa, Anaheim: Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry, Pens: Neal-Crosby-Malkin

that's just 3 teams where they actually played those players together at times in past seasons. there are many other teams that could field all-star first lines but have them spread. Philly, Detroit, LA, Vancouver, San Jose and even Carolina could are capable of creating "all-star" first lines.

Machinehead 07-24-2012 03:19 AM

I don't know if I'd use the word "legit". We had a solid first line last year. But the last time we had an elite first line was Jagr's first two years -which much to my dismay, because I'm getting old- was already awhile back.

Czech line 2.0, good times.

Anyone remember the original Czech line? Hlavac-Nedved-Dvorak :laugh:

we want cup 07-24-2012 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKers (Post 52890389)
Several of those Besserwissers are now on my ignore list
Straka - Nylander - Jagr
Was legit
But not by the know-it-all anti Euro fraction

On a related note, I can't wait to see folks who want to run Gabby out of town after a 40 goal season make all kinds of excuses when he outscores Nash.

GWOW 07-24-2012 06:56 AM

Graves-Messier-Verbeek

BlueshirtBlitz 07-24-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by we want cup (Post 52891625)
On a related note, I can't wait to see folks who want to run Gabby out of town after a 40 goal season make all kinds of excuses when he outscores Nash.

Don't you know? Nash, with his 59 points, is more of a gamebreaker and first liner, because of his large body. Even if he doesn't come close to Gabby's output.

Though here's hoping Nash and Gabby combine to make a real "legit" first line, where Nash starts scoring 40 goals again.

New York RKY 07-24-2012 07:04 AM

Straka-Nylander-Jagr.

Barnaby 07-24-2012 07:11 AM

We had broken toy Lindros and Holik together for awhile... bruuuutal

jskramer83 07-24-2012 08:28 AM

Last year, any line with Richards and Gaborik together is a number one line on any other team.

A line of Nash Richards Gaborik, which is not going to be the pairing except maybe on the power play, is a line you see in an all star game.

Shoalzie 07-24-2012 09:06 AM

Considering how much Nash and Gaborik shoot, it would probably wise to just find which center between Richards and Stepan they work well with and pair them together. It's overkill to put two snipers on one line. You throw more of a mucker/worker that can skate and chip in with goals on other the wing. Between Callahan, Krieder and Hagelin...two of them round out the top 6 and then the other guy plays with Boyle on would be the start of a strong 3rd line.

I think you guys have the makings of a very strong offensive team. If you could've scored more, you probably get by New Jersey. The Kings and many other winning teams prove that you need a strong top 6, not just a single line. Considering you didn't exactly give up top 6 forwards to get a top 6 forward, it's a major win in my book.

Tawnos 07-24-2012 09:26 AM

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Fleury-Lindros-York (people forget how good this line was until Lindros got hurt. It had us in 1st place in the league in December)

Killem Dafoe 07-24-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calad (Post 52889535)

You honestly can't say this.

I can say in my opinion, Nash Richards Gaborik (If Gaborik was healthy to start the season) would be our starting line.

It makes sense at first glance because now Nash has a top line center to work with and Gabby on his right side who has more talent than anyone he played with in Columbus.

Kreider Stepan Callahan is a great second line. I will say that i agree Nash will play 2nd line LW and Kreider will probably see top line minutes because throughout the course of a season lines will mix up and players will get switched around. But if Gabs was healthy right now, no doubt in my mind Torts starts with Nash Richards Gaborik. You almost have to start that line just to see the other team's face.

ncmike 07-24-2012 11:42 AM

while that sounds nice, i still think gaborik plays with stepan and kreider and nash plays with richards and callahan gives the team to totally different looks

broadwayblue 07-24-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncmike (Post 52899537)
while that sounds nice, i still think gaborik plays with stepan and kreider and nash plays with richards and callahan gives the team to totally different looks

Either way, the top 6 is looking good!