HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   News Article: Robitaille Discusses His Decision to Play For The Red Wings at the Alumni Showdown (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1236649)

Telos 07-25-2012 02:50 PM

Robitaille Discusses His Decision to Play For The Red Wings at the Alumni Showdown

http://mayorsmanor.com/2012/07/luc-r...-kings-alumni/

Quote:

“My team is LA,” he exclaimed before the question was even finished.
“But, the NHL is a big family. I will never forget that and being part of a big family is very special. So, whenever anybody asks you and there’s an opportunity for charity, why not go and play and just have fun with it?”
Thought it was interesting news, and we don't have a lot of it during this time of the year. I don't have a problem with it, he would do anything for charity, as he should. Hopefully one day the Kings get a Winter Classic and a nationally televised alumni game...

We will at least get to see Lucky play again, which is special in of itself.

KopitarFAN 07-25-2012 03:27 PM

I have no problem with it either.

KINGS17 07-25-2012 04:00 PM

As long as he wears a Kings jersey I'm fine with this decision. :)

Perro 07-25-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KINGS17 (Post 52953875)
As long as he wears a Kings jersey I'm fine with this decision. :)

That would be hilarious.

nocturn 07-26-2012 05:55 PM

It was a "Loan".

Rorschach 07-26-2012 10:44 PM

He should rip off the jersey to reveal a Kings jersey, DX-style. Don't be like Marcel Dionne, make an appearance in Detroit happy in a Red Wings jersey but absent when the Kings are in the Finals...both times.

Ron 07-27-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rorschach (Post 53011779)
He should rip off the jersey to reveal a Kings jersey, DX-style. Don't be like Marcel Dionne, make an appearance in Detroit happy in a Red Wings jersey but absent when the Kings are in the Finals...both times.

That's not quite true...he was in Los Angeles for game 4, remember?

We were speculating that he would drop the puck for game 4, but they never had a puck-dropping ceremony, as they did for Gretzky in game 3.

I am not even sure why the Kings flew him out for game 4, to be honest. I am not sure he was at the game.

Rorschach 07-27-2012 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 53016325)
That's not quite true...he was in Los Angeles for game 4, remember?

We were speculating that he would drop the puck for game 4, but they never had a puck-dropping ceremony, as they did for Gretzky in game 3.

I am not even sure why the Kings flew him out for game 4, to be honest. I am not sure he was at the game.

I was at game 4, round 4, and I saw everyone from Nicholls to Glen Murray, to Heidi Androl, to Barry Melrose to all sorts of guys who played for the Kings and appeared on the screen at the game like Granato. I only heard Dionne call in to the radio show as 570 am was broadcasting. Heck I even saw Jeremy Roenick and Paulina Gretzky with Wayne Gretzky. But no Marcel Dionne. At the parade and fan rally, the only Marcel Dionne mention was Luc reading his personal letter written to Luc.

Ron 07-27-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rorschach (Post 53019791)
I was at game 4, round 4, and I saw everyone from Nicholls to Glen Murray, to Heidi Androl, to Barry Melrose to all sorts of guys who played for the Kings and appeared on the screen at the game like Granato. I only heard Dionne call in to the radio show as 570 am was broadcasting. Heck I even saw Jeremy Roenick and Paulina Gretzky with Wayne Gretzky. But no Marcel Dionne. At the parade and fan rally, the only Marcel Dionne mention was Luc reading his personal letter written to Luc.

Agreed, but as you said, he had called in to the radio station, and was in Los Angeles, because the Kings flew him in. I heard the same call in because I was there too at the 570 booth.

So it was strange that he was apparently not at the game. Maybe he got sick or something.

Fropitar 07-27-2012 08:55 AM

Heh, I've always wondered how many former players really give any **** at all if the current kings team wins or not. Doubt marcel cares. I know the fans think/wish/assume they do, but face it.. We crazy.

kingsholygrail 07-27-2012 09:22 AM

I do think it's kinda funny that he's considered an alumni despite such a short stint there.

Shootmaster_44 07-27-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsholygrail (Post 53022309)
I do think it's kinda funny that he's considered an alumni despite such a short stint there.

With some of the players they get to come out to these games, it would appear alumni is being held to the strictest of definitions. It appears anyone who has ever played for the team is invited.

I remember at the Heritage Classic in 2003, I believe Montreal dressed a few players in the alumni game that hadn't played an entire season with the Habs simply to fill out the lineup.

I have no issue with this either. I feel the Wings probably have a soft spot in Luc's heart since he won the Cup as a player with them. The current Cup win with the Kings probably means alot to him, but in a different way. Something about having to play to win it, where your mistake could cost you the Cup, is much different than being in a suit in a suite watching a team you helped build.

KINGS17 07-27-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rorschach (Post 53019791)

Marcel was at Game 4 of the Final. I had a picture taken with him.

shultzyfeelinirie20 07-27-2012 03:03 PM

Luc did come to Detroit to win at least one cup in his career and he did that im glad to see him on the alum team

Ziggy Stardust 07-27-2012 04:14 PM

Glad Luc won a Cup with Detroit in 2002 because the Kings back then were absolute crap as an organization. They had an assclown in Kevin Gilmore handling contract negotiations and they let Luc walk away by offering him a paycut after he had was 2nd in the team with 37 goals and 88 points.

It's because of that stingy jackass that the Kings pissed off Rob Blake in contract negotiations with a take it or leave it offer and they also let Boucher go after he finally emerged as a top four defenseman. There's a reason why the Kings started a downward spiral after the way they treated Luc, and it started up top. Thankfully they fixed that when they fired Gilmore. He was a cancer in the organization.

Rorschach 07-27-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 53020043)
Agreed, but as you said, he had called in to the radio station, and was in Los Angeles, because the Kings flew him in. I heard the same call in because I was there too at the 570 booth.

So it was strange that he was apparently not at the game. Maybe he got sick or something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KINGS17 (Post 53030663)
Marcel was at Game 4 of the Final. I had a picture taken with him.

Ok thanks. I didn't see or hear from him. I know he and Luc are tight and Luc considers it part of his job to rebuild things with his pal Dionne. I just feel like a real King should be like Luc, who comes back to LA like it's his home...like Bernie Nicholls.

Rorschach 07-27-2012 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 53035711)
Glad Luc won a Cup with Detroit in 2002 because the Kings back then were absolute crap as an organization. They had an assclown in Kevin Gilmore handling contract negotiations and they let Luc walk away by offering him a paycut after he had was 2nd in the team with 37 goals and 88 points.

It's because of that stingy jackass that the Kings pissed off Rob Blake in contract negotiations with a take it or leave it offer and they also let Boucher go after he finally emerged as a top four defenseman. There's a reason why the Kings started a downward spiral after the way they treated Luc, and it started up top. Thankfully they fixed that when they fired Gilmore. He was a cancer in the organization.

That's right.

Herby 07-30-2012 04:04 PM

The Robitaille situation was a joke, no question about it, how you lowball your most popular player coming off a season in which he was an All NHL 2nd team LW is beyond me. You can't blame Luc for leaving, but he handled things worlds better than Blake did.

The Kings offered Blake a contract to be the second highest paid d-man in the NHL behind Pronger who was coming off being league MVP and was clearly a level or two above Blake in the defensive one. The Kings made the right deal, Blake was never good enough defensively to warrant the money he wanted. It's unfortunate Deadmarsh got hurt and Taylor used the draft picks on Steckel and Boyle and chose Aulin over Vrbata, but that deal could have been a serious long term winner for the Kings had they been even decent at evaluating talent.

Deal doesn't look so bad if Taylor takes Cammalleri or Derek Roy over Steckel or takes Perry/Eriksson/Bergeron/Weber over Boyle.

Rorschach 07-30-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herby (Post 53120951)
The Robitaille situation was a joke, no question about it, how you lowball your most popular player coming off a season in which he was an All NHL 2nd team LW is beyond me. You can't blame Luc for leaving, but he handled things worlds better than Blake did.

The Kings offered Blake a contract to be the second highest paid d-man in the NHL behind Pronger who was coming off being league MVP and was clearly a level or two above Blake in the defensive one. The Kings made the right deal, Blake was never good enough defensively to warrant the money he wanted. It's unfortunate Deadmarsh got hurt and Taylor used the draft picks on Steckel and Boyle and chose Aulin over Vrbata, but that deal could have been a serious long term winner for the Kings had they been even decent at evaluating talent.

Deal doesn't look so bad if Taylor takes Cammalleri or Derek Roy over Steckel or takes Perry/Eriksson/Bergeron/Weber over Boyle.

I agree with your first two paragraphs but don't understand what you mean in the third one. Didn't he choose Cammalleri in the 2nd round?

Tadite 07-31-2012 12:39 PM

It's amazing how magnanimous people will be after winning a Cup!

PSP 07-31-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsholygrail (Post 53022309)

Please explain - are you talking about Luc in Detroit? I hope that you aren't referring to Dionne with the Kings...

Chazz Reinhold 07-31-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSP (Post 53169009)
Please explain - are you talking about Luc in Detroit? I hope that you aren't referring to Dionne with the Kings...

PSP, I can't get over how awesome your avatar is.

HeadInjury 07-31-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nocturn (Post 53001135)
It was a "Loan".

"We were on a break."