HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   GDT: 2012 Summer Olympics in London | Medal count in the 1st post (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1236949)

Cloned 07-26-2012 12:39 AM

2012 Summer Olympics in London | Medal count in the 1st post

Opening ceremonies on Friday.

Canada didn't get off to a good start today losing their opener to Japan in women's soccer, but hopefully will rebound.

What's everyone's prediction on medals? Will Own the Podium succeed in a Summer Olympics, or was it just a one-off in Vancouver?

Medal count - Canada: 1 G, 5 S, 12 B

DrDrai 07-26-2012 01:02 AM

What are our medal hopefuls? Anyone expected to take gold in any events?

Jepprey 07-26-2012 01:11 AM

I really hope there is significant improvements into getting more than 18 this year. We have less athletes coming out this year though.

On CBC, they said their goal was to place in the Top 12. So that's about 8 golds, compared to the 3 we won last time.

They aren't pushing this one as much as the Vancouver Olympics. I think one, it's not in Canada, and two it's not winter? I swear, that "i believe" song was on every commercial on every channel pumping up the Olympics.

I'm guessing 5 golds. 8 silvers. 10 bronze. 23 total. (I'm being positive)

alanschu 07-26-2012 01:30 AM

It's stiffer competition for the summer olympics too, which is why the expectations are lower.

402 07-26-2012 01:32 AM

We definitly dont excel at summer olympics but I'll go with
4 G 7 S 8 B 19 total

Cerebral 07-26-2012 01:49 AM

I think we'll be lucky to get 18 this year. A few of our top athletes are battling injuries (specifically Paula Findlay who was a gold medal favourite in the women's triathlon but hasn't run one this season due to her injury) and a lot of our medal favourites are in the 3rd/4th range rather than the 1st/2nd range (which tends to lead to more disappointments).

I'll still cheer our country on though! I'm hoping we do well in cycling and pull of a few upsets in wrestling - that would set the stage for a good overall performance.

Faryn 07-26-2012 03:00 AM

Watch for Richard Weinberger in the 10k open water swim, he should contend for a medal. finished 2nd in the Olympic qualifier a couple months ago (had a incident at the start with his cap and goggles and was close to last at the first check point yet still made up the time to finish 2nd), finished 1st in the per-Olympic race last summer in London, and 1st in the pan-American games. He is a pretty good friend of mine and likes to swim in colder water like London over places like Mexico.

Other then that probably the typical events like rowing, kayaking, cycling, and maybe equestrian then the odd one hear and there.

probably around 15-20 medals all together.

jbean 07-26-2012 07:34 AM

I believe Canada is pretty good at diving and also might get some medals in swimming? Also rowers and kayak events were possible medal opportunities in past summer olympics, maybe we will do well in them this year.

Pointteen 07-26-2012 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbean (Post 52977725)
I believe Canada is pretty good at diving and also might get some medals in swimming? Also rowers and kayak events were possible medal opportunities in past summer olympics, maybe we will do well in them this year.

Funny, on these forums you'd think the Swedes are guaranteed to win gold at diving.

But honestly, I can't see Canada coming close to the level of the Vancouver Olympics.

joestevens29 07-26-2012 08:29 AM

Honestly the promotion of this year's Olympics has been crap. I haven't really heard much about them going into them. Heck the talk I did hear I didn't know if it was about Olympics happening soon or next year.

Jimmi Jenkins 07-26-2012 08:33 AM

I only want to see 3 things.

- Canada doing well and showing well
- Great Olympic Moments
- Clara Hughes setting the Canadian record.

joestevens29 07-26-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 52978633)
I only want to see 3 things.

- Canada doing well and showing well
- Great Olympic Moments
- Clara Hughes setting the Canadian record.

Women's Volleyball?

Jepprey 07-26-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joestevens29 (Post 52978969)
Women's Volleyball?

+1. lol.

Anyways, about that. Didn't they put a rule where women are required to put more clothing on (beach volleyball). I don't know if they are enforcing it at the Olympics though. Weird.

Jimmi Jenkins 07-26-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Women's Volleyball?

In Gym, yes. When they are young and spry

The beach version, they are a little older, to say the least.

oh, and her race

Gord 07-26-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloned (Post 52973591)
Opening ceremonies on Friday.

Canada didn't get off to a good start today losing their opener to Japan in women's soccer, but hopefully will rebound.

What's everyone's prediction on medals? Will Own the Podium succeed in a Summer Olympics, or was it just a one-off in Vancouver?

Canada is a Winter Sports nation, really. andI'd guess the same resources were not put into these summer olympics than what went into an event held in Canada.
there will be no podium owning.

2 gold 4 Silver, 7 Bronze (my being positive prediction)

Matt Ryan 07-26-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Women's Volleyball?

im going to two women's volleyball games on monday, haha

joestevens29 07-26-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jepprey (Post 52979293)
+1. lol.

Anyways, about that. Didn't they put a rule where women are required to put more clothing on (beach volleyball). I don't know if they are enforcing it at the Olympics though. Weird.

I read something about how it's cold at night or something and that they might be wearing something different. But then I read something from a few players saying they prefer the bikinis.

Replacement 07-26-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord (Post 52979671)
Canada is a Winter Sports nation, really. andI'd guess the same resources were not put into these summer olympics than what went into an event held in Canada.

Agree with this. I'm not expecting much and won't be disappointed.

We don't typically do well at the Summer Olympics.

The IOC has succeeded in me losing interest in this event anyway. That, and most cities hosting these events end up with a boondoggle and would be better off attending to civic/national problems rather than spending $ on Olympics.

I'll say one thing, I wouldn't dare go to London right now.

Tyrolean 07-26-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gord (Post 52979671)

I bet a lot of Canadians really don't care that deeply about the Summer Olympics. Mainly it's unknown athletes in sports that are also unknown or lowly followed.

Skm 07-26-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 52979491)
In Gym, yes. When they are young and spry

The beach version, they are a little older, to say the least.

oh, and her race

Too bad she didn't qualify, haha.

:(

worraps 07-26-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skm (Post 52980565)
Too bad she didn't qualify, haha.

:(

That settles it, I'm boycotting the 2012 Summer Olympics.

Master Lok 07-26-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyrolean (Post 52980189)
I bet a lot of Canadians really don't care that deeply about the Summer Olympics. Mainly it's unknown athletes in sports that are also unknown or lowly followed.

I care. In fact I'm more interested in the Summer Olympics than the winter. It's not about money spent by Olympic canada, Canada is not a powerhouse in the Summer Olympics simply because the competition is so much better. More countries are involved, sending more participants and stronger athletes. For e.g., How many winter sports is Australia involved? Or the african nations? Or south american or latin america?

Track events is always the highlight to me. Soccer, gymnastics, wrestling, marathon, triathlon and number of others will also be of interest to me.

Jamin 07-26-2012 05:07 PM

Based on the media coverage in Canada id say it has about 1/25th of the interest level of the winter olympics. I dont really care for the summer olympics to begin with but not hearing a thing about them doesnt help.

Hope its a bondoogle after London kept slagging the 2010 winter games and claiming how they would pwn canada in putting on an olympics

alanschu 07-26-2012 05:10 PM

Are the trains still on strike? haha.

alphahelix 07-26-2012 05:17 PM

Can there be any doubt that the Olympics are good for sport? Aren't we posting on a hockey forum?

And on "the bill" , damn, a lot of the worlds great sport/training complexes come from Olympic spending. A lot of shady areas rejuvenated etc. I don't think we properly understand the long term benefits of some of these things, especially in combating urban maladies.