HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   OT: AJ Burnett's Pirates! | Home of the Back-to-Back NL Player of the Month (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1236953)

Big McLargehuge 07-26-2012 01:18 AM

AJ Burnett's Pirates! | Home of the Back-to-Back NL Player of the Month

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/image...030312_500.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBurgundy (Post 52971385)
Ooh do tell. I love story time! :nod:

When I did my semester abroad in Aarhus, Denmark I took an intensive Danish language course for the month leading up to classes starting...where at the end of it we basically had to make giant ***** of ourselves for the enjoyment of the teachers. My teacher asked what we knew about Danish culture...and Barbie Girl was the first thing that popped to mind (despite the fact that Søren Kierkegaard played a huge role in me going to Denmark, I go with that thing). So our skit was traditional Danish dancing (which inevitably broke down quickly into every awful dance move we knew) set to Barbie Girl. Soon that song was played at every international student party, at all the clubs, and it usually involved a bunch of Polish and Spanish people buying shots for me when it came on.

And more recently...when I was in Finland this March I went to this club in Levi and my friend said he was going to the bathroom...he comes back and soon the DJ says, "We have a weird request here...For Kevin, your favorite song...I sincerely hope this isn't true." and starts playing that goddamned song.

Dylonus 07-26-2012 01:41 AM

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Watch as I run out to buy a Marte player t-shirt!

ThosePuckingPenguins 07-26-2012 01:50 AM

Anyone else follow Tony Sanchez on twitter? Dude is hilarious :laugh:

Dylonus 07-26-2012 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThosePuckingPenguins (Post 52974707)
Anyone else follow Tony Sanchez on twitter? Dude is hilarious :laugh:

linkkkkkkkkkkkkk it :yo:

Big McLargehuge 07-26-2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

– Sparks didn’t wear bubble wrap when he took the mound. He did sport a Pirates jersey with “Zoltan” on the back. He said if he gets the opportunity to come back if the Pirates make the playoffs, he’d go all out: “We were hoping that we could stop by a hardware store and get bubble wrap for a bubble wrap red carpet so I could walk out to the mound going, ‘Crack. Crack. Crack.’ …The return visit for game five or whatever, we will have a whole red bubble wrap that’s mic’d so everyone can hear the crackle when I walk out. That must occur. So they must win today and continue to win through the rest of the season. There is no option but victory.”
Zoltan Notes (and some stuff about Correia possibly being the odd-man out of the rotation)

http://academic.evergreen.edu/g/gros...ude_cap014.gif

bathroomSTAAL 07-26-2012 05:46 AM

I hope everybody keeps their expectations for Marte in check. He was never really an elite prospect, just a very good one, and I doubt he's going to single-handedly put us over the top.

That said, I'm stoked to see him and hope he's in the lineup tonight.

ColePens 07-26-2012 09:46 AM

Love the last two thread titles. Hilarious stuff!

MrBurgundy* 07-26-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge (Post 52974251)
http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/image...030312_500.jpg

When I did my semester abroad in Aarhus, Denmark I took an intensive Danish language course for the month leading up to classes starting...where at the end of it we basically had to make giant ***** of ourselves for the enjoyment of the teachers. My teacher asked what we knew about Danish culture...and Barbie Girl was the first thing that popped to mind (despite the fact that Søren Kierkegaard played a huge role in me going to Denmark, I go with that thing). So our skit was traditional Danish dancing (which inevitably broke down quickly into every awful dance move we knew) set to Barbie Girl. Soon that song was played at every international student party, at all the clubs, and it usually involved a bunch of Polish and Spanish people buying shots for me when it came on.

And more recently...when I was in Finland this March I went to this club in Levi and my friend said he was going to the bathroom...he comes back and soon the DJ says, "We have a weird request here...For Kevin, your favorite song...I sincerely hope this isn't true." and starts playing that goddamned song.

:laugh:

And the story didn't disappoint.

OnMyOwn 07-26-2012 10:38 AM

I hate this song, but I can't get....

"Marte rockin in the house, tonight!!" out of my head since seeing his name.

Chicago Made Punk 07-26-2012 10:45 AM

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/b...s16.jpg?b38fcd

mrzeigler 07-26-2012 11:08 AM

As someone who played the original, black-and-white version of Pirates! (I even downloaded a emulator to play it before the update came out), the new version and every version of Civilization, I wholeheartedly approve of this thread title.

Ogrezilla 07-26-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylonus (Post 52974573)
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Watch as I run out to buy a Marte player t-shirt!

what do you think his knockoff t-shirt will say? I like my Pittsburgh Kid, Cutch and A.J. shirts. I may go with Hammertime next, but if Marte has a cool name maybe I'll pick his up.

Ogrezilla 07-26-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnMyOwn (Post 52982547)
I hate this song, but I can't get....

"Marte rockin in the house, tonight!!" out of my head since seeing his name.

that's a great song, you are incorrect. Ok, great isn't right. It's a very fun song :laugh:

http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2989635/shuffling-o.gif

Polaris Husky 07-26-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrzeigler (Post 52983787)
As someone who played the original, black-and-white version of Pirates! (I even downloaded a emulator to play it before the update came out), the new version and every version of Civilization, I wholeheartedly approve of this thread title.

Good Old Games (GOG) just put up the modern version for digital sale (DRM-free) not too long ago.

Dylonus 07-26-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogrezilla (Post 52984941)
what do you think his knockoff t-shirt will say? I like my Pittsburgh Kid, Cutch and A.J. shirts. I may go with Hammertime next, but if Marte has a cool name maybe I'll pick his up.

Not those one's. I'm talking the ones they sell that look like legit jerseys, but made as a t-shirt.

Got a Cutch and Walker one. I want a Marte one, now. :yo:

Ogrezilla 07-26-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylonus (Post 52987417)
Not those one's. I'm talking the ones they sell that look like legit jerseys, but made as a t-shirt.

Got a Cutch and Walker one. I want a Marte one, now. :yo:

I know you aren't talking about those ones, but I am :laugh:

ColePens 07-26-2012 01:02 PM

When will wandy pitching next?

Superstar Shane 07-26-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge (Post 52974251)

For your listening pleasure:

(Misattributed in the video: should be Ome Henk, not Rammstein)

OnMyOwn 07-26-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColePens (Post 52988953)

I heard Saturday? It's almost like the ichiro situation haha.

Dylonus 07-26-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColePens (Post 52988953)

From what I understand, the team confirmed he will pitch Saturday.

johnniewalker 07-26-2012 01:29 PM

So Saturday was Bedard's start. Will be interesting to see if they give Bedard the start on Sunday and then McDonald on Monday or if they move Bedard to Correia's spot on Monday and leave McDonald's start alone.

sch28 07-26-2012 01:34 PM

I think there is a reason why Marte is up right now. They are playing the Astros for four games and then on Monday, they play the Cubs who probably might be without Dempster and Garza. I'm not saying this is for sure, but for weeks NH said that Marte won't be up until he's ready. Now he's ready? I think it's a showcase for a trade.

Ogrezilla 07-26-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanMoranFanclub (Post 52989337)
For your listening pleasure:

(Misattributed in the video: should be Ome Henk, not Rammstein)

in america all german bands are Rammstein.

btw, the girl in that video is blurry. 4/10. might bang when drunk

Big McLargehuge 07-26-2012 01:52 PM

I can definitely see Marte being up as a mini-audition for a trade...but I doubt it.

If he's close to being ready to take the starting LF gig, a job which he's being handed right now, why trade for another LFer? Adding Marte is a deadline acquisition in it's own right.

I think the Pirates will add a bat or two at the deadline, but I'm thinking more of bats off the bench than outright starters right now. The trade market is pretty absurd right now and the Pirates would be foolish to trade one of the pride & joy pitching prospects to get a deal done.

I expect similar deadline deals to last year, where we acquired a couple veteran bats for the baseball equivalent of nothing.

Lucbourdon 07-26-2012 02:39 PM

Where da wrestling fans at!