HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Speculation: Offseason Armchair GM Thread Part IIX (aka VIII) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1237027)

Hatrick Marleau 07-26-2012 09:28 AM

Offseason Armchair GM Thread Part IIX (aka VIII)
 
Old Thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1227073

Continue here.

Hatrick Marleau 07-26-2012 09:30 AM

Jakub Voracek has signed 4 years 4.25 million per.

Fistfullofbeer 07-26-2012 09:42 AM

Copying from old thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilligans Island (Post 52980125)
I think the reality is we just don't have many trade assets since DW isn't willing/able to blow the team up. I bet we just get tweaks the next 2 seasons until the big contracts expire. I.e., more or less a stay-the-course approach for 2 seasons.

I would have expected the same. But DW did come out and say that we need wingers and speed. I sure am hoping he stays true to his word and fixes that problem.

You are definitely right about the tradeable assets part. At this time though, the only players on the team I would really consider untouchable are Couture, Burns and Vlasic. Everyone else could be had if the return was 'right'.

Personally, I would like to add Thornton to the untouchable list because I don't see us winning without him. But I definitely understand that he would be the one Shark who would most likely get the biggest overpayment.

Iron Chef 07-26-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 52980261)
Jakub Voracek has signed 4 years 4.25 million per.

Man, Giroux is going to get a helluva payday then in 2 years

Hatrick Marleau 07-26-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer (Post 52980619)
Copying from old thread.



I would have expected the same. But DW did come out and say that we need wingers and speed. I sure am hoping he stays true to his word and fixes that problem.

You are definitely right about the tradeable assets part. At this time though, the only players on the team I would really consider untouchable are Couture, Burns and Vlasic. Everyone else could be had if the return was 'right'.

Personally, I would like to add Thornton to the untouchable list because I don't see us winning without him. But I definitely understand that he would be the one Shark who would most likely get the biggest overpayment.

Pavelski and Boyle are our only trade assets that can get us some good wingers.

Nighthock 07-26-2012 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 52980261)
Jakub Voracek has signed 4 years 4.25 million per.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much ... surprised this isn't a 20 year contract though

Hatrick Marleau 07-26-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 52980693)
Man, Giroux is going to get a helluva payday then in 2 years

It would be funny if Nashville offer sheets him and gives him the max salary per year for 5 years just to get Philly back.

KirbyDots 07-26-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 52980721)
Pavelski and Boyle are our only trade assets that can get us some good wingers.

That's not true at all. We have picks prospects and several other players we could trade. Pavs and Boyle would get us probably the best return, but they hold a ton of value to this team which is most likely more than we could get for them. We don't necessarily even need an elite top 6 type, which would be great and is very possible with Doan and Semin still out there, just two tweeners to play on the 3rd.

Hatrick Marleau 07-26-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KirbyDots (Post 52980935)
That's not true at all. We have picks prospects and several other players we could trade. Pavs and Boyle would get us probably the best return, but they hold a ton of value to this team which is most likely more than we could get for them. We don't necessarily even need an elite top 6 type, which would be great and is very possible with Doan and Semin still out there, just two tweeners to play on the 3rd.

Tyler Kennedy for Douglas Murray and that is it. We have no prospects and I don't want to trade Demers or Braun. Clowe won't get much since he is a pending UFA and I want to keep him because he will stick up for his teammates and beat the crap out of his opponents. I would prefer to have a good winger to play with Jumbo than having Pavs play with him. To me Pavs is a far better center than winger.

So sign Doan and trade Murray for Kennedy.

Marleau Jumbo Doan
Clowe Couture Havlat
Wingels Pavelski Kennedy
Galiardi Desjardin Burish
Sheppard

This is what we can do without trading Boyle or Pavelski. This is a pretty good lineup. I rather sign Semin so that we have a very good winger to play with Jumbo but I know DW won't sign him.

Boyle and Pavelski are our only good trade assets. Murray will get us a 2nd/3rd line tweener and we are better off keeping Clowe. Demers and Braun have potential and can take over for Boyle so I rathe keep them.

anthonyyy 07-26-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 52981621)
Tyler Kennedy for Douglas Murray and that is it. We have no prospects and I don't want to trade Demers or Braun. Clowe won't get much since he is a pending UFA and I want to keep him because he will stick up for his teammates and beat the crap out of his opponents. I would prefer to have a good winger to play with Jumbo than having Pavs play with him. To me Pavs is a far better center than winger.

So sign Doan and trade Murray for Kennedy.

Marleau Jumbo Doan
Clowe Couture Havlat
Wingels Pavelski Kennedy
Galiardi Desjardin Sheppard

This is what we can do without trading Boyle or Pavelski. This is a pretty good lineup. I rather sign Semin so that we have a very good winger to play with Jumbo but I know DW won't sign him.

Boyle and Pavelski are our only good trade assets. Murray will get us a 2nd/3rd line tweener and we are better off keeping Clowe. Demers and Braun have potential and can take over for Boyle so I rathe keep them.

You forgot the savior Burrish. Realistically, that's all the changes we're going to see for this upcoming season, at least until the trade deadline, IMO.

KirbyDots 07-26-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 52981621)
Tyler Kennedy for Douglas Murray and that is it. We have no prospects and I don't want to trade Demers or Braun. Clowe won't get much since he is a pending UFA and I want to keep him because he will stick up for his teammates and beat the crap out of his opponents. I would prefer to have a good winger to play with Jumbo than having Pavs play with him. To me Pavs is a far better center than winger.

So sign Doan and trade Murray for Kennedy.

Marleau Jumbo Doan
Clowe Couture Havlat
Wingels Pavelski Kennedy
Galiardi Desjardin Sheppard

This is what we can do without trading Boyle or Pavelski. This is a pretty good lineup. I rather sign Semin so that we have a very good winger to play with Jumbo but I know DW won't sign him.

Boyle and Pavelski are our only good trade assets. Murray will get us a 2nd/3rd line tweener and we are better off keeping Clowe. Demers and Braun have potential and can take over for Boyle so I rathe keep them.

Just because you can't think of a trade doesn't mean there isn't one out there that DW has, we have no way of knowing what he's planning. I know you are simply stating a possibility you could see but Murray for Kennedy hasn't been rumored and who knows who Wilson sees as expendable on the blue line. DW is as tight lipped as any GM in the league, so speculate all you want but its nothing more than your opinion. I can see several options other than just Pavs or Boyle, but really it depends on whats out there and we have no way of knowing. Hopefully things will open up soon as this summer has been incredibly boring and the Sharks still don't have a complete team.

AnderFunk 07-26-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 52981621)
Marleau Jumbo Doan
Clowe Couture Havlat
Wingels Pavelski Kennedy
Galiardi Desjardin Sheppard

You forgot Burish

TheJuxtaposer 07-26-2012 10:58 AM

I go back and fourth on the merits of trading Joe Pavelski. At this particular moment, I'm thinking hell no, we shouldn't trade him at all because that would **** over the team and all that jazz.

So really it comes down to Boyle, Clowe, and Murray as trading chips. I'm about 60-40 for trading Boyle, even without replacement right now.

EDIT: Anyone know why the roman numerals in the title are funny?

VP and GM 07-26-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 52980261)
Jakub Voracek has signed 4 years 4.25 million per.

Probably about right, give this guy minutes with 1st liners and he'll put up more points i'm sure.

Interesting that they waited to to see what Weber was going to do, i think the deal could have been a little less given a Weber cap hit.

Hatrick Marleau 07-26-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnderFunk (Post 52983145)
You forgot Burish

Yeah, just noticed it.

sharski 07-26-2012 11:48 AM

Pavelski should be untouchable IMO

if he can, I'd prefer that DW trade Murray, and Niemi if he has too, to shore up our offense

Hatrick Marleau 07-26-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 52983389)
I go back and fourth on the merits of trading Joe Pavelski. At this particular moment, I'm thinking hell no, we shouldn't trade him at all because that would **** over the team and all that jazz.

So really it comes down to Boyle, Clowe, and Murray as trading chips. I'm about 60-40 for trading Boyle, even without replacement right now.

EDIT: Anyone know why the roman numerals in the title are funny?

Yeah me too. Some days I feel like trading Pavelski is what's best but other days I feel like trading him is a bad a idea.

Off topic but I ended your monopoly of Offseason threads. :P

Hatrick Marleau 07-26-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharski (Post 52985795)
Pavelski should be untouchable IMO

if he can, I'd prefer that DW trade Murray, and Niemi if he has too, to shore up our offense

Then who would start? Greiss? What if Greiss does terrible. Then what? Niemi is a proven starter. We should let Greiss have more chances to start to see what he is made of, though.

KirbyDots 07-26-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 52985979)
Yeah me too. Some days I feel like trading Pavelski is what's best but other days I feel like trading him is a bad a idea.

Off topic but I ended your monopoly of Offseason threads. :p

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/...amentshark.jpg

No trading Pavelski or Nieto. Future of this team. There are some other players I would count as more untouchable but those two need to stay.

TheJuxtaposer 07-26-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 52985979)
Yeah me too. Some days I feel like trading Pavelski is what's best but other days I feel like trading him is a bad a idea.

Off topic but I ended your monopoly of Offseason threads. :P

I let you. I was on at about 2AM last night when there was 992 posts, but I decided just to let it go. :p:

Hatrick Marleau 07-26-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 52986487)
I let you. I was on at about 2AM last night when there was 992 posts, but I decided just to let it go. :p:

I considered titling the thread "The Monopoly Ends" but I didn't. :lol:

sharski 07-26-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 52986117)
Then who would start? Greiss? What if Greiss does terrible. Then what? Niemi is a proven starter. We should let Greiss have more chances to start to see what he is made of, though.

Greiss would start and be that years "OMG who knew this unknown backup would be an elite goaltender in contention for the Vezina and why is he paid almost nothing?" story

happens all the time... we have a solid top-4 and 2 ACs that specialize in D, so why not with Greiss :laugh:

it's a risk, yes, Greiss could fall flat on his face... but Niemi did terrible this past year, too, and we survived... listen, I like Nemo and think he will bounce back, but everyone says we have depth at goaltender, so if DW really believes that, then I think it's a risk DW has to think about taking

not saying DW should shop Niemi, I just don't think DW should consider him untouchable

Fistfullofbeer 07-26-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharski (Post 52987119)
Greiss would start and be that years "OMG who knew this unknown backup would be an elite goaltender in contention for the Vezina and why is he paid almost nothing?" story

happens all the time... we have a solid top-4 and 2 ACs that specialize in D, so why not with Greiss :laugh:

it's a risk, yes, Greiss could fall flat on his face... but Niemi did terrible this past year, too, and we survived... listen, I like Nemo and think he will bounce back, but everyone says we have depth at goaltender, so if DW really believes that, then I think it's a risk DW has to think about taking

not saying DW should shop Niemi, I just don't think DW should consider him untouchable

Niemi was really good in the playoffs. We did not fail there because of him.

I am not opposed to moving him but I would prefer not to enter the playoffs with Greiss/Stalock. I think we will be fine for the regular season but we need an experienced goalie for the playoffs.

TheJuxtaposer 07-26-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer (Post 52987263)
Niemi was really good in the playoffs. We did not fail there because of him.

I am not opposed to moving him but I would prefer not to enter the playoffs with Greiss/Stalock. I think we will be fine for the regular season but we need an experienced goalie for the playoffs.

That's assuming we make the playoffs. :(

hockeyball 07-26-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 52987497)
That's assuming we make the playoffs. :(

As the team stands, I am honestly not convinced we will (at least easily).

Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Clowe - Couture - Havlat
Burish - Handzus - Wingels
Galiardi - Desjardins - Sheppard

Not a terribly thrilling group. Better coaching COULD make a huge difference, Stuart will help (but how much is a big question). We still really need a better left side puck mover back there. Forward corp is pretty slow (Pavelski, Clowe, Couture, Handzus, Sheppard).

I would not be terribly confident we make the playoffs. And a cup is utterly out of the question.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.