HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Speculation: 2012 Free Agency Thread - Part XXI: Weepy Tears & Angst (A. Kostitsyn Edition) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1237309)

Darth Vitale 07-26-2012 04:30 PM

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part XXI: Weepy Tears & Angst (A. Kostitsyn Edition)
 
"This thread is like a chick movie!"

http://img.timeinc.net/time/photoess..._sleepless.jpg


Continue on, fellow FA addicts.

Ragamuffin Gunner 07-26-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogrezilla (Post 53000031)
We don't have the cap space for any of the top 6 guys available AND Parise. Especially if he has any doubts about the defense.



I disagree. Some combination of Martin, Orpik, TK, Despres, Morrow, Harrington, Dumoulin, Bennett, Dupuis, Cooke and picks could get us a solid top 6 wing at least on the Kunitz level. After seeing what it cost to get Nash I don't know how you can honestly believe that.

He could have set up some safety nets with those guys in case he missed ZP. He put all his eggs in one basket and lost. He's doing the same thing with Doan right now.

Martin, Orpik and Des won't be moved for a winger as it would leave out D in a very bad spot. I don't see him moving Morrow or Harry either.

Ogrezilla 07-26-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner (Post 53000135)
He could have set up some safety nets with those guys in case he missed ZP. He put all his eggs in one basket and lost. He's doing the same thing with Doan right now.

could he have? Maybe they didn't want to wait. For all you know he talked to both of them and they said sorry we want a deal now.

And how the hell do you know what he's doing right now?

Dovahkiin 07-26-2012 04:36 PM

Per Eric Tangradi's Facebook Page:

The Hockey New's 2012 Pittsburgh Penguins home opener projected lines:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Adams-Vitale-Glass

Ogrezilla 07-26-2012 04:37 PM

There seems to be a weird notion that every free agent WANTS to do what's best for the Penguins and they are all just waiting for Shero to give them the opportunity to do so. Every move by every free agent is first and foremost up to Ray Shero.

Darth Vitale 07-26-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dovahkiin (Post 53000327)
Per Eric Tangradi's Facebook Page:

The Hockey New's 2012 Pittsburgh Penguins home opener projected lines:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Adams-Vitale-Glass


Ideally, if we don't sign anyone and Tango has a good camp, that's what should happen. Although would rather have Jeffrey at 4LW than Adams at this point.

Mondello 07-26-2012 04:39 PM

How despondent is everyone going to be when Doan signs somewhere else?

Hottubber 07-26-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dovahkiin (Post 53000327)
Per Eric Tangradi's Facebook Page:

The Hockey New's 2012 Pittsburgh Penguins home opener projected lines:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Tangradi-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Kennedy
Adams-Vitale-Glass

It is a line-up definitely worth trying. If Tangradi cant cut it, then at least he got a shot with some decent players

Ragamuffin Gunner 07-26-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogrezilla (Post 53000193)
could he have? Maybe they didn't want to wait. For all you know he talked to both of them and they said sorry we want a deal now.

And how the hell do you know what he's doing right now?

You do realize I could turn this post around the other way, right?

My point is you seem to excuse everything as being out of his hands.

Darth Vitale 07-26-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mondello (Post 53000405)
How despondent is everyone going to be when Doan signs somewhere else?

I'll be very surprised if he doesn't sign in PHX. I would be shocked if he came here and if he does hopefully not overpayment on the term. Term overpayment (which = security for his family at his age) is the only thing I can see that would deter him from signing in PHX. Do not want a 40 year old Doan skating around CEC in 5 years.

Will Hunting 07-26-2012 04:40 PM

Capgeek is saying we have 9.94M in cap space. But they are counting MacIntyre´s and Strait´s contracts there (just to complete 22 players´ roster)... I think these 2-way contracts could still be replaced by adding 1-way contracts, so I guess we theoretically still have around 11.25M for signings. Is it right?

Ogrezilla 07-26-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale (Post 53000403)
Ideally, if we don't sign anyone and Tango has a good camp, that's what should happen. Although would rather have Jeffrey at 4LW than Adams at this point.

agreed
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hottubber (Post 53000415)
It is a line-up definitely worth trying. If Tangradi cant cut it, then at least he got a shot with some decent players

there will some very interesting line-ups at camp I bet :laugh:

MrBurgundy* 07-26-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner (Post 53000435)
You do realize I could turn this post around the other way, right?

My point is you seem to excuse everything as being out of his hands.

I think the main point is that we have no way of knowing either way.

Ogrezilla 07-26-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner (Post 53000435)
You do realize I could turn this post around the other way, right?

My point is you seem to excuse everything as being out of his hands.

if he was putting in a legitimate effort to sign Parise then yes, everything done by PA Parenteu or Jiri Hudler was out of his hands.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBurgundy (Post 53000505)
I think the main point is that we have no way of knowing either way.

This. Notice, I have never once said Shero is having an awesome off-season and I am thrilled with what's happening. I just hate people jumping to the opposite conclusion so prematurely and with so little actual information. Maybe it's because I teach science for a living. Most of my job is teaching kids to use evidence and data properly before making conclusions.

RehnX 07-26-2012 04:44 PM

I just want Kostitsyn. Doan would be nice, Semin would have been as well, but Kostitsyn we CAN get and he DOES fit the system.

Other people may be sold on Tangradi, I am not one of them, and even if he has a stellar camp, I would rather use this cap space to improve our depth scoring in some way. Yes, Dupuis has great chemistry with Sid, but as last year showed, he's fine without him in ANY role. And his versatility would suit us better on the 3rd line, IMO.

IF Tangradi has a good camp, Kunitz/Tangradi-Crosby-Kostitsyn, Tangradi/Kunitz-Malkin-Neal.

No matter what I will be angry if KMN isn't a line next year.

UnrealMachine 07-26-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogrezilla (Post 53000193)
I was saying all season that Staal's defense wasn't up to his own par this year. It was still very good, but Sutter's was better. Here's some support for that with stats.

http://hockeyanalysis.com/2012/06/23...randon-sutter/

Do I think Sutter is a better defensive player than Staal? Not when they are both playing a pure shutdown role. But Staal hasn't done that in two years. When he added the offense to his game he did it at the expense of his defense by taking more risks trying to score. Sutter has played a very defense first game his entire career. Because of that he has played better pure defense than Staal.

Great link, although I would have liked to see the analysis of the time period when Staal was exclusively 3rd line center. That withstanding, the fact remains that we acquired one of the very best defensive forwards in the game and he can also put up some respectable offense.

Ogrezilla 07-26-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RehnX (Post 53000643)
I just want Kostitsyn. Doan would be nice, Semin would have been as well, but Kostitsyn we CAN get and he DOES fit the system.

Other people may be sold on Tangradi, I am not one of them, and even if he has a stellar camp, I would rather use this cap space to improve our depth scoring in some way. Yes, Dupuis has great chemistry with Sid, but as last year showed, he's fine without him in ANY role. And his versatility would suit us better on the 3rd line, IMO.

IF Tangradi has a good camp, Kunitz/Tangradi-Crosby-Kostitsyn, Tangradi/Kunitz-Malkin-Neal.

No matter what I will be angry if KMN isn't a line next year.

I agree with everything here except the last line. I am angry KMN was a line at the end of last year. If Kunitz is the 2nd best wing on this team he better be playing with Sid.

Ogrezilla 07-26-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnrealMachine (Post 53000671)
Great link, although I would have liked to see the analysis of the time period when Staal was exclusively 3rd line center. That withstanding, the fact remains that we acquired one of the very best defensive forwards in the game and he can also put up some respectable offense.

ya I'd love to see that too. Like I said, I think Staal WAS a better defensive center when that was his main goal. I might try to find the stats on that but I honestly don't know if I know how or where to compile those stats.

ThosePuckingPenguins 07-26-2012 04:47 PM

Our offense is fine, it's our defense that needs work. That's why I won't be too upset if we don't get Doan or anyone else. We were what? Top five in goals last season? And that was without Sid the majority of the time. We'll be fine there.

We just need defense and badly. Hopefully Shero can work something at the trade deadline for a defenseman.

Darth Vitale 07-26-2012 04:48 PM

#AKWatch

"It's a thing now."

RehnX 07-26-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogrezilla (Post 53000703)
I agree with everything here except the last line. I am angry KMN was a line at the end of last year. If Kunitz is the 2nd best wing on this team he better be playing with Sid.

If we get Kostitsyn than he would arguably be the 2nd most SKILLED winger on the team. Either way, Sid doesn't let other team checking him tightly knock him off his game emotionally that much, Malkin does, so I like pulling defenders AWAY from Geno.

OnMyOwn 07-26-2012 04:48 PM

It seems like either shero didn't have real interest in anyone other than parise, or Pittsburgh isn't that desirable.

You would assume if his offers were on par with others...like Carolina, Pittsburgh would win that one.

My guess is he half looked into the market after parise and said "meh" and is content with the team.

Anyone expecting doan is also dreaming, its phoenix or philly imo.

Darth Vitale 07-26-2012 04:50 PM

I have modified the thread title so that our collective angst-driven mission is clear now.

mpp9 07-26-2012 04:50 PM

Sid/Geno/Neal can't carry us through 16 wins in the playoffs. We need another dangerous forward. Staal leaving necessitates it.

Ogrezilla 07-26-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RehnX (Post 53000815)
If we get Kostitsyn than he would arguably be the 2nd most SKILLED winger on the team. Either way, Sid doesn't let other team checking him tightly knock him off his game emotionally that much, Malkin does, so I like pulling defenders AWAY from Geno.

Kostitsyn could definitely qualify. But otherwise, I just think you need to give Sid some help. And Kunitz is just more fully utilized as Sid's number 2 than as Geno and Neal's 3rd wheel.

I guess this is what camp and pre-season and even the regular season are for though. They'll figure the lines out as they go.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.