HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Hurricanes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   "The Alexander Semin experiment" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1237421)

ChuckW 07-26-2012 08:42 PM

"The Alexander Semin experiment"
 
That's what this will be remembered as - good or bad.

"The Alex Semin experiment is underway in Raleigh" as one reporter put it.

The $7 million-for-one-year deal plus the questions surrounding Semin's character make it sort of a risk. But I think its a risk worth taking.

vwg* 07-26-2012 08:59 PM

Dude, you just said "Semin experiment"

/chuckling from the back of the class

IHaveNoCreativity 07-26-2012 09:50 PM

You guys are looking scary next year.

HisIceness 07-26-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity (Post 53009819)
You guys are looking scary next year.

I think the last time I was this excited for a new season was 6 years ago. Even the 2009 offseason didn't get me pumped like this offseason is.

But then I remember the league is currently in a lockout :cry:

Lethargic 07-26-2012 10:00 PM

I think we are going to find out there was never a problem with Semin in the locker room. He's actually a great guy, just doesn't speak much and loves playing hockey.

cptjeff 07-26-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMardigan (Post 53010167)
I think we are going to find out there was never a problem with Semin in the locker room. He's actually a great guy, just doesn't speak much and loves playing hockey.

That would be nice.

My bet is that if he fits in here, JR breaks his rule on midseason negotiations again and signs him to a few more years at the same salary. If he doesn't, we trade him for a pick or two at the deadline.

Lethargic 07-26-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 53010331)
That would be nice.

My bet is that if he fits in here, JR breaks his rule on midseason negotiations again and signs him to a few more years at the same salary. If he doesn't, we trade him for a pick or two at the deadline.

Yeah, if he fits in and likes it here, I could see them giving him a 5y 35m contract extension.

Blueline Bomber 07-26-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMardigan (Post 53010167)
I think we are going to find out there was never a problem with Semin in the locker room. He's actually a great guy, just doesn't speak much and loves playing hockey.

Without getting too much into it, he was a problem in the Caps lockerroom. Whether he'll be a problem in the Cane lockerroom is (hopefully) another story altogether.

cptjeff 07-26-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber (Post 53010461)
Without getting too much into it, he was a problem in the Caps lockerroom. Whether he'll be a problem in the Cane lockerroom is (hopefully) another story altogether.

It does seem like JR was very careful and talked to a lot of people about whether this could work or not. And I wouldn't be at all shocked to learn that a locker room like ours has a different vibe then one with a personality like Ovechkin's dominating it.

A change of scenery may very well be the exact cure needed.

ChuckW 07-26-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by visor wearing goon (Post 53008235)
Dude, you just said "Semin experiment"

/chuckling from the back of the class

Hey! I wasn't the first to say it! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber (Post 53010461)
Without getting too much into it, he was a problem in the Caps lockerroom. Whether he'll be a problem in the Cane lockerroom is (hopefully) another story altogether.

Yeah. That Caps' locker room wasn't exactly the bastion of stability.

IHaveNoCreativity 07-26-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HisIceness (Post 53009999)
I think the last time I was this excited for a new season was 6 years ago. Even the 2009 offseason didn't get me pumped like this offseason is.

But then I remember the league is currently in a lockout :cry:

What do you think your lines will be ?

Boom Boom Anton 07-26-2012 10:15 PM

Will it work out? Who knows for sure. But Pitkanen came to Carolina with a bad rap out of Philly and Edmonton and has worked out ok here (although there have been some rumors he isn't the most popular guy in the lockroom here).

halleJOKEL 07-26-2012 10:19 PM

Pitkanen doesn't seem like a prototypical "popular" guy anyway, so that isn't a surprise.

Boom Boom Anton 07-26-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber (Post 53010461)
Without getting too much into it, he was a problem in the Caps lockerroom.

Since you state that with such authority, what are the sources that validate that? I get that Matt Bradley called him out for not caring enough or not trying hard enough, but what evidence is there that he was a problem in the locker room.

I'm not saying it isn't true, but would like to understand how you know that for sure.

Lethargic 07-26-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity (Post 53010677)
What do you think your lines will be ?

S12 / S11 / Semin
Skinner / Jussi / Ruutu
Tlusty / Welsh / LaRose
Nodl / Brent / Dwyer
Stewart

Fixed ***

ChuckW 07-26-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMardigan (Post 53010975)
S12 / S11 / Semin
Skinner / Jussi / Ruutu
Dwyer / Welsh / LaRose
Nodl / Brent / Stewart

ARGH! Tlusty!! Why is he an afterthought?

Boom Boom Anton 07-26-2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Callahan (Post 53010869)
Pitkanen doesn't seem like a prototypical "popular" guy anyway, so that isn't a surprise.

Yep..and that's my point. Semin may (or may not) be of a similar ilk. Go back and read some comments when Pitkanen fell out of favor in Philly. You'll see comments such as:

Quote:

He appears disinterested most of the time. He shows flashes of absolute dominance, but then the reverts back to his lazy, space cadet self.

Apparently, as last year progressed, he became a locker room cancer here (sami kapanen and eric desjardins quoted for this).

He's got all the talent in the world, but I'd take half the talent and all heart over all talent and no heart. I think thats what holmgren saw/decided and pulled the trigger on a move to get him the hell out of here.

Hes lazy and unmotivated

etc..

tycoonheart 07-26-2012 10:31 PM

Caps fan here. IMO, you guys have a hell of a hockey player. I'm very sad to see Semin go. He's been misunderstood. The fans loved to pile on him for no reason, the local beat reports did the same, national hockey media as well. Dude busted his ass this past season. He definitely didn't have a good rapport with Bruce but once Dale came in, he did just about everything asked of him. Even the NY series where he didn't produce, he was still visible on the ice. And you could tell the guy was giving it his all. Even though he's with a division rival I want to see Sasha doing well. I'd love to see 40+ goals, 80+ points. I think he can do it to be honest.

Boom Boom Anton 07-26-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadMardigan (Post 53010975)
S12 / S11 / Semin
Skinner / Jussi / Ruutu
Dwyer / Welsh / LaRose
Nodl / Brent / Stewart

I think you forgot Tlusty..no?

EDIT: Chuck beat me to it!

Lethargic 07-26-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton (Post 53011333)
I think you forgot Tlusty..no?

EDIT: Chuck beat me to it!

I swear I thought I typed his name. :laugh:

Fixed

Lethargic 07-26-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tycoonheart (Post 53011317)
Caps fan here. IMO, you guys have a hell of a hockey player. I'm very sad to see Semin go. He's been misunderstood. The fans loved to pile on him for no reason, the local beat reports did the same, national hockey media as well. Dude busted his ass this past season. He definitely didn't have a good rapport with Bruce but once Dale came in, he did just about everything asked of him. Even the NY series where he didn't produce, he was still visible on the ice. And you could tell the guy was giving it his all. Even though he's with a division rival I want to see Sasha doing well. I'd love to see 40+ goals, 80+ points. I think he can do it to be honest.

I seen that too from him. I think Captain C Kirk will be able to guide him well. I also think our locker room will be a good change for him.

tycoonheart 07-26-2012 10:38 PM

"He's lazy and he's unmotivated"

Thats bull, straight up. All that started because he had been prone to taking penalties at the most inopportune time (under Dale he did none of that btw). There are plenty of others in the league who do these things but they aren't labeled lazy and unmotivated. Again, the problem was Bruce had no idea how to handle Semin. So he would bench the guy because he took a couple of penalties. From there it escalated to the point where the media started saying he's lazy and doesn't care. Its far from the truth. He was one of our hardest working players after Dale took over last season.

Cappy76 07-26-2012 11:13 PM

All the talk of "locker room cancer" and "coach killer" from the media was complete bull. The guy was the Caps best player under Hunter. I as a caps fan know I'm in the minority (at least on our boards) that is going to be sad to see him go. He can play has top notch talent. Does he bring it every night.....no but he will have you getting out of your seats when he is on "GOD MODE" as its been come to be referred to by us Caps fan. Good luck with him I always was a huge fan of his and I'm very sad to see him go.

FloridaCap 07-26-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tycoonheart (Post 53011317)
Caps fan here. IMO, you guys have a hell of a hockey player. I'm very sad to see Semin go. He's been misunderstood. The fans loved to pile on him for no reason, the local beat reports did the same, national hockey media as well. Dude busted his ass this past season. He definitely didn't have a good rapport with Bruce but once Dale came in, he did just about everything asked of him. Even the NY series where he didn't produce, he was still visible on the ice. And you could tell the guy was giving it his all. Even though he's with a division rival I want to see Sasha doing well. I'd love to see 40+ goals, 80+ points. I think he can do it to be honest.


Also a Caps fan, and I agree with all of that.


Most misunderstood and wrongly criticized player in all of hockey.


Even when he's not going great offensively, he's still solid in the defensive end. I'd love to see him get 40 goals and sign a massive contract next year. As long as none are against Washington. (well, maybe a couple in like a 4-1 win :D )

Fumble 07-26-2012 11:43 PM

:handclap:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.