HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   In 14 years... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1237489)

Soundgarden 07-26-2012 11:07 PM

In 14 years...

If Weber finishes his career with us, will he be considered the greatest athlete for a Tennessean pro sports team?

I saw a thread in the history section a while back asking what state's greatest athlete was a hockey player. Just curious.

EDIT: Because I don't follow other sports well enough, who are some other candidates?

Top 6 Spaling 07-26-2012 11:23 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QTceU37IHV...600/695763.jpg

Possible for sure. I just love that picture of Rinne, who also has a chance.

worstfaceoffmanever 07-27-2012 12:02 AM

I think it's George or the late Steve McNair, but Weber could very easily vault himself into that company if player and club have sustained success over the next decade.

Iron Duke 07-27-2012 12:28 AM

As an outsider, first athlete I'd think of is Steve McNair, but in 14 years, who knows how big hockey will be there. Would love to think that Weber is the face of Tennessee sports in the future.

deanwormer 07-27-2012 12:38 AM

What about Mattingly? Played in the minors in Nash and maybe in Chat?

At the top levels - maybe one of the linemen - like Mathews? Hard to argue against a guy who gets into the Hall.

if you don't like linemen or minor leaguers it's gotta' be George.

skydog71 07-27-2012 02:48 AM

Winning a championship would go a long ways towards being the greatest. McNair was a good QB, but his stature is elevated because of the 1999 season and leading the Titans to the Super Bowl. It also doesn't hurt that he was co-MVP in 2003.

One thing that Nashville is short on is championships. Actually, I don't think it has won any at all. The players on the first team that win one will be legends.

kypredsfan 07-27-2012 03:53 AM

Easy sell to me but I don't really care about football so I'd vote Tootoo over McNair.

Paranoid Android 07-27-2012 04:12 AM

I don't know enough about football. Was McNair considered the best QB in the game? George in whatever position he played? I'm thinking no, but not sure.

It's gotta be Weber. Two runner ups to best in his position. A lot would consider him #1 though.

KevFist 07-27-2012 07:42 AM

Funny thing is when I think Tennessee Titans, the first name that comes to my mind is Al Del Greco. Then again, I'm an Auburn fan.

Legionnaire11 07-27-2012 07:47 AM

Eddie George was better than McNair as far as talent at their position, but #9 built an aura of the warrior leader. Del Greco is definitely a good one but was best in Houston, Craig Hentrich was probably the best punter for 4-5 years.

But yes, Weber and Rinne are definitely as good or better than any of those guys.

Nitrous Mafia 07-27-2012 07:52 AM

yeah it's mcnair. unless weber leads us to the promised land.

ilikeblocks 07-27-2012 07:58 AM

I'm with the previous poster - Bruce Mathews > Eddie George > Steve McNair.

The moment Shea wins a Norris or Rinne a Vezina (or championship) they jump ahead of the Titans' cadre, if they aren't ahead already.

ilikeblocks 07-27-2012 07:59 AM

This is gonna be unpopular, but can I point out that I despise the McNair worship in this town?

pekkaslap 07-27-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikeblocks (Post 53020815)
This is gonna be unpopular, but can I point out that I despise the McNair worship in this town?

Most people on this forum despise any sort of support of the Titans in general. So I don't think you'd be alone in that.

AtlantaWhaler 07-27-2012 08:17 AM

I'm in no way a Titans fan (thank you CJ for destroying my fantasy team last year) and the first name that jumps into my head when thinking Tennessee pro sports is McNair.

If Weber sticks around for 14 years, however, he'll take over for sure.

RaiderDoug 07-27-2012 08:19 AM

Got to be McNair. A whole generation of kids in Tennessee grew up wearing #9 jerseys (i've still got mine).

One thing that plays into it is what the player does off the field. McNair (we'll overlook the flaws) was a fixture in the community, was easy to root for on the field, and gave back alot of his time and money.

Weber/Rinne are great on the ice, but when's the last time you've actually seen them out doing appearances? Autograph signings? Etc, etc, etc.? Occaisionally, we get the Preds TV thing with them teaching a kid to skate. It's obviously contrived.

One thing the Predators can do better is try and elevate the profile of the team off the ice.

Next, if you're going to be "Tennessee's" greatest athlete, then you can't forget that there's 2 more sections of Tennessee - east and west, that have little to no Predator influence. How about's a preseason game in Knoxville/Memphis? How about a Predators caravan (ala the Titans) - you don't think they'd sell some weekend minipacks in Knox, Chatt, Memphis?

ilikeblocks 07-27-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pekkaslap (Post 53020941)
Most people on this forum despise any sort of support of the Titans in general. So I don't think you'd be alone in that.

Excellent. It's not like the guy was a stellar citizen before he was drummed out of town. If not for his death, most Titans fans would view him as a bum.

triggrman 07-27-2012 09:39 AM

Brad Hopkins and Bruce Matthews are both hall of famers.

triggrman 07-27-2012 09:48 AM

If it's Tennessee's greatest athlete that's a totally different question and I don't think he hits the top 10. Then you to also consider guys like RA Dickey, David Price, Todd Helton etc

The top professional player for a Tennessee sports team is a much easier argument to make. Funny though, where would Brandt Snedeker fit?

Although, we still aren't producing hockey players, we're well represented with the hometown guys in some other sports right now.

AtlantaWhaler 07-27-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 53022969)
If it's Tennessee's greatest athlete that's a totally different question and I don't think he hits the top 10. Then you to also consider guys like RA Dickey, David Price, Todd Helton etc

The top professional player for a Tennessee sports team is a much easier argument to make. Funny though, where would Brandt Snedeker fit?

Although, we still aren't producing hockey players, we're well represented with the hometown guys in some other sports right now.

Always depends on the specific question. If it's top sports figures, then #1 (unfortunately) might be Pat Summit? Throw in Mike Fisher and Philip Fulmer?

triggrman 07-27-2012 10:11 AM

I don't think it would be Pat Summit, though I could be wrong. I also don't think Fulmer would make the list, Neyland would though if we're going historic.

so many historic famous Tennesseans in the sports world. Where would you rank Grantland Rice as a sports figure? I mean he set the standard for sports writers did he not?

Shea Weber 07-27-2012 10:28 AM

It's McNair now. No doubt.

Hopefully Shea enters that conversation.

token grinder 07-27-2012 10:28 AM

I think if Weber leads this team to a Cup and has sustained succes, then yes, he would be the best. I do not think 14 Norris Trophies would leap him over McNair or George. Both had HOF careers and came short of a championship. a 35 pound cup would end this debate.

ChesterCopperpot1* 07-27-2012 10:57 AM

Right now, it's

1A Air McNair
1B Eddie George

And deservingly so.

If Weber can bring a cup along with other accolades like multiple Norris trophies then absolutely.

The problem with this state is...Peyton Manning is still the most famous/loved person in the athletic world in regards to this state. It's quite sad actually.

Viqsi 07-27-2012 11:22 AM

I honestly find it impossible to think of George as a Nashville sports icon, but that's less to do with his work there and more to do with the fact that I'm a Buckeyes fan who's never lived in Nashville, only visited. :)

Are there any restaurants or such named after him down there? There's an "Eddie George's Grill #27" around South Campus Gateway up here, for example.