HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   OT: Summer Olympics (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1237549)

UsernameWasTaken 07-27-2012 12:55 AM

Summer Olympics

You guys watching?

I probably will just b/c like watching the olympics in general (summer and winter) and i'm shut out of the cottage for the next few weeks (and Toronto is humid right now) - so hanging out inside with the aircon = acceptable activity.

irrespective of nationality, my fave sports to watch are swimming, gymnastics, rowing, and track. my fave single event is watching the mens 100m (track). i also find diving very entertaining.

re Canada - we have the best shot at winning the most medals in rowing (relative to other sports we compete in) - as well as several elsewhere (we're not particularly dominant in any one sport as much as we have one or two major contenders spread over a number of sports) - our official prediction is 22 medals...but we'll see!

I'm going to watch the opening ceremony tomorrow with friends - and try my best to avoid news sites early so it's all a surprise ;)

Bubba88 07-27-2012 06:35 AM

will watch it, that's it

hockeydoug 07-27-2012 07:56 AM

Tough to be interested. Very few good story lines anymore as most of these participants are hardly amatuers. It's gotten too commercialized for me, I would just assume they compete for a purse every event, it might suck me back in. I've wanted to like the last couple but I just couldn't get myself interested.

No Fun Shogun 07-27-2012 01:39 PM

This is probably the least excited I've ever been for the Olympics, Summer or Winter. I'll probably watch some here and there, but honestly just don't care at all right now.

Bubba88 07-27-2012 03:15 PM

opening ceremony started...

TwistedWrister90 07-27-2012 03:25 PM

i just care about basketball. lebron's about to ****. and i didn't think soccer could be any more boring till i turned on olympic soccer...

No Fun Shogun 07-27-2012 03:56 PM

Oh, just remembered..... Rugby Sevens is making it's debut this year, right?

Okay, I'll watch that.

EDIT: Crud, just looked.... won't debut until 2016 in Rio.

Yeah, because it's not like the UK and rugby have any history whatsoever. :shakehead

UsernameWasTaken 07-27-2012 10:42 PM

the opening ceremony was too long!

i really liked the video they made with the queen.

i was not impressed with the canadians' outfits - they were unflattering tracksuits.

Sarava 07-28-2012 01:59 AM

I've always had a preference for the winter games. But I'll try to watch some of it this weekend. If they focus too much on basketball, then I'll inevitably turn it off.

RayP 07-28-2012 09:54 AM

Was at some friends last night that had the opening ceremony on... Man that was brutal to watch. Too long, and just weird. Will only find myself watching because I have no job.

UsernameWasTaken 07-28-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarava (Post 53054019)
I've always had a preference for the winter games. But I'll try to watch some of it this weekend. If they focus too much on basketball, then I'll inevitably turn it off.

i like the winter games more, too - not the least of which is because canada does better in them than in the summer :laugh:

i find with the summer games there are a lot of sports that i have no interest in watching - judo, weight lifting, archery, etc.

it's easier to watch the winter games because it's usually cold out...you don't feel so bad just sitting on the couch and watching tv for two weeks.

Cullksinikers 07-28-2012 03:29 PM

Winter has hockey.

Automatically better.

UsernameWasTaken 07-28-2012 03:54 PM

I can't believe NBC tape-delayed the Phelps/Lochte race. It was on the canadian channels. Why didn't they just show it this afternoon on nbc then again tonight? It's not like people aren't going to know what happened...!

No Fun Shogun 07-28-2012 03:59 PM

Watching boxing now. Been a while since I last watched amateur matches, so it's enjoyable as a change of pace perspective at least.

Crazy_Ike 07-28-2012 04:25 PM

The reason I like winter games more id it feels like it has the crowning moment when the hockey finsl happens, but the closest thing summer has is the 100m and its over so fast.

madgoat33 07-28-2012 05:06 PM

winter>>>>summer. I can't get into any of the track sports and basketball/soccer are a joke compared to hockey.

MurrayBannerman 07-28-2012 05:25 PM

Wrestling, boxing, judo, swimming, and some of those races with the disabled guy.

madgoat33 07-28-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman (Post 53069381)
Wrestling, boxing, judo, swimming, and some of those races with the disabled guy.

olympic boxing actually manages to be more boring than regular boxing. Didn't think it was possible.

MurrayBannerman 07-28-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 53067471)
Watching boxing now. Been a while since I last watched amateur matches, so it's enjoyable as a change of pace perspective at least.

Gausha's KO in the last seconds of the 3rd was great. He really turned it on that round.

MurrayBannerman 07-28-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madgoat33 (Post 53069417)
olympic boxing actually manages to be more boring than regular boxing. Didn't think it was possible.

I like watching the Aussies, Americans and Brits. Most are very well trained, aggressive fighters.

madgoat33 07-28-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeydoug (Post 53021731)
Tough to be interested. Very few good story lines anymore as most of these participants are hardly amatuers. It's gotten too commercialized for me, I would just assume they compete for a purse every event, it might suck me back in. I've wanted to like the last couple but I just couldn't get myself interested.

who cares about amateur? IMO, it should be the best athletes in the world, including professionals. I thought the point of the olympics was for countries to show off their athletic prowess, having to leave out your best in certain sports is just non sensical.

IU Hawks fan 07-28-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken (Post 53067341)
I can't believe NBC tape-delayed the Phelps/Lochte race. It was on the canadian channels. Why didn't they just show it this afternoon on nbc then again tonight? It's not like people aren't going to know what happened...!

They've always done this. NBC is stuck in the mid-80s.

madgoat33 07-28-2012 05:54 PM

i really do hate nbc's sports coverage. The only reason i like their hockey is because they show hockey.

committedindian86 07-28-2012 06:03 PM

I'm interested in seeing if Phelps breaks the all time medal record. Proud to support the stars and bars regardless of what sport too and some of these obscure sports are super wierd but I watch (I.e. - handball, shooting, archery). Plus I have to watch the US Women's Soccer team because my wife, Alex Morgan, would be mad if I didn't. :laugh:

RayP 07-28-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by committedindian86 (Post 53070225)
I'm interested in seeing if Phelps breaks the all time medal record. Proud to support the stars and bars regardless of what sport too and some of these obscure sports are super wierd but I watch (I.e. - handball, shooting, archery). Plus I have to watch the US Women's Soccer team because my wife, Alex Morgan, would be mad if I didn't. :laugh:

Spent a few hours watching today, and handball looks really fun. Think I played it in HS, maybe, but don't remember. That archery Gold medal match was also pretty entertaining, as well as the fencing match between a Korean and Italian chick.

Although, you still couldn't pay me to watch soccer or cycling.