HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Why didn't Dave Bolland pan out? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1238087)

needle 07-28-2012 03:45 AM

Why didn't Dave Bolland pan out?

The hope of all Blackhawks fans these days is that our draft picks rather than FA lead us to brighter days and maybe have us competing for the Cup again. The leader of the new wave, at least these days, is Brandon Saad. A steal in the 2nd round, a man amongst boys at 19, 27G/55PTS at 19 in the OHL this past season. The anomaly to this argument, at least for me, will always be Dave Bolland. 37G/67PTS at 17, 34G/85PTS at 18, 57G/130PTS at 19 for the Knights in the OHL. How is he our 3C ate age 26 behind Marcus Kruger? The man is clearly clutch, he's a grinder, a 2-way player. But why didn't Bolland end up becoming a PPG guy?

ClydeLee 07-28-2012 04:04 AM

Well there's multiple questions.. The most obvious is the last one.. PPG player? How about simply because of what the NHL is in this day and age. How many PPG players are there each year now? Even if he was a 2nd line center fully, he would have to play near the level of Malkin, the only comparable 2nd line PPG guy lately.

The statement "behind" Kruger is just a matter of style... Is anyone to blame for that? Q? It's because Q decided is more valuable to the team to play that role instead of the 2nd lne role.

Other issues may point to looking at his linemates... The crop of Bickels, Frolik, etc. Have not been aids in offensive production. Why was he so productive in 08-09, his TOI was no higher... maybe even lower. Who was often on his wing, Martan Havlat. Bolland hasn't been set up to be a point producer since because his defensive role is more important when the team is heavy with offensive talent.

Sir Psycho T 07-28-2012 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by needle (Post 53054485)
The hope of all Blackhawks fans these days is that our draft picks rather than FA lead us to brighter days and maybe have us competing for the Cup again. The leader of the new wave, at least these days, is Brandon Saad. A steal in the 2nd round, a man amongst boys at 19, 27G/55PTS at 19 in the OHL this past season. The anomaly to this argument, at least for me, will always be Dave Bolland. 37G/67PTS at 17, 34G/85PTS at 18, 57G/130PTS at 19 for the Knights in the OHL. How is he our 3C ate age 26 behind Marcus Kruger? The man is clearly clutch, he's a grinder, a 2-way player. But why didn't Bolland end up becoming a PPG guy?

How many guys have been PPG players in the CHL and never got to that level in the NHL? Thousands, only a select few NHL players are PPG guys so to point out a guys CHL stats and ask why he can't keep putting those up is ridiculous. By your standards Toews didn't pan out because he isn't a PPG guy either.

Also behind Kruger? Please, Bolland is our #3 C because he is the best at his position in the NHL. Now that Staal is gone I can't think of another #3 C who fits their role better, great shut down player who plays with grit and puts up good numbers while playing with lesser talent. Bolland could be our #2 C but then our bottom 6 would be a disaster. Bolland turned out pretty damn well and fills a need for us, if you think Bolland didn't pan out simply because of his stats then you aren't watching this team and don't realize his importance to us. Again 10-11 playoffs against Vancouver, 0-3 without Bolland and losing badly, 3-1 with Bolland and the 1 lose was in OT.

sketch22 07-28-2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

How is he our 3C ate age 26 behind Marcus Kruger?

Bolland is the Hawks 3C because he is damn good at his job. In fact he is so good at it that he has never gotten an honest shot to stick at the 2C position because the bottom six completely falls apart when he isn't a part of it.

Quote:

The man is clearly clutch, he's a grinder, a 2-way player. But why didn't Bolland end up becoming a PPG guy?

Because there aren't very many ppg guys in the league. And its awful hard to get that many points when he is constantly asked to play against the other teams top lines, when he has inferior linemates, and starts the vast majority of his shifts in the d-zone.

Rexy 07-28-2012 05:24 AM

He's panned out. Maybe if Q didn't give him musical line mates, or used him as a second line center, he would have more points. That being said, there's a hell of a lot more to the game than points. Bolland is a great NHLer.

rick hawk 07-28-2012 08:05 AM

I second round picks all panned out as well as Bolland the Hawks would have a dynasty.

BobbyJet 07-28-2012 08:35 AM

This is a misguided thread. The only issue with Bolland is his health, particularly his back. He remains healthy and he is a valuable asset.

DisgruntledHawkFan 07-28-2012 09:21 AM

If only becoming an elite third line center in the best league in the world is disappointing i would hate to be your kid.

Ace Rothstein 07-28-2012 09:30 AM

Bolland is an anomaly as he has panned out. Most prospects don't end up playing at a high level in the NHL.

zytz 07-28-2012 09:37 AM

Bolland may center the third line, but wasn't he 4th or 5th in ice time per game the past two seasons? If you look at it from that angle he's our 2C who just plays defebsive minutes instead of offensive ones.

hockeydoug 07-28-2012 10:41 AM

Bolland is a nice player. In no way has he been a disappointment overall. He was probably Pulford's better picks since the 80s. He's been one of the top 5 or 6 forwards for the Hawks for a few seasons now. I never expected too much offense out of him. I'll agree that he's missed some unrealistic expectations, most of his game hasn't improved the last couple years like we hoped and many projected.

I'm all for trading him, I want him gone the majority of the regular seasons as much as I want him in the postseason. I think we've seen his peak and his value is still very strong so I would like to see him moved now rather than keep him. Too many of his defensive exploits have been copied by other centers in the game, makes me think he isn't quite as special as he's often portrayed.

Watch out, Bolland's married now. Huge lifestyle change, not sure it's going to have good results for him. Maybe it's better for him, we'll see.

Either way, Bolland has done extremely well for a 2nd round pick. Anyplayer that can solidify themselves as a top 9 forward is a pretty good player and one we shouldn't be terribly disappointed in unless they were one of the top picks in a class.

MurrayBannerman 07-28-2012 12:32 PM

Bolland is one of the more elite role players in the NHL.

xX Hot Fuss 07-28-2012 01:13 PM

Bolland is more valuable as a 3c than he will ever be as a 2c putting up 50-60 points a year.

If the op is disappointed with Bolland's career so far then he/she clearly doesn't appreciate, and is certainly ignorant to, all of the things he provides us.

rick hawk 07-28-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss (Post 53061211)
Bolland is more valuable as a 3c than he will ever be as a 2c putting up 50-60 points a year.

If the op is disappointed with Bolland's career so far then he/she clearly doesn't appreciate, and is certainly ignorant to, all of the things he provides us.

Two thirds of his shifts start in the defensive zone. Despite that he scores around 20 goals and 40 points. Thats not too shabby. If his role on the team was an offensive one with the appropriate linemates I think its safe to say he'd put up good numbers.

Rexy 07-28-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick hawk (Post 53061987)
Two thirds of his shifts start in the defensive zone. Despite that he scores around 20 goals and 40 points. Thats not too shabby. If his role on the team was an offensive one with the appropriate linemates I think its safe to say he'd put up good numbers.

not to mention he's one of the best SH goal scorers in the league.

xX Hot Fuss 07-28-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick hawk (Post 53061987)

Even if he put up 65 points a year (not impossible playing with Hossa, Sharp, and Kane), I'd still rather have him shutting down the other team. Bolland is a unique player and should be used in a unique role IMHO. This team needs all the defensive help it can get.

Crazy_Ike 07-28-2012 05:21 PM

I like Bolland and he is a good player but these claims that he is the best 3C in the league are over the top. The Hawks arent known for shutting other teams down and he struggles a bit on faceoffs.

Chris Hansen 07-28-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike (Post 53067941)
I like Bolland and he is a good player but these claims that he is the best 3C in the league are over the top. The Hawks arent known for shutting other teams down and he struggles a bit on faceoffs.

What third line center is better? If Bolland is not the very best, then he's the second best.

Just because the team has problems defensively doesn't mean Bolland isn't a good (no - great) shutdown player. Otherwise we should all start talking about how Tavares isn't a very good offensive player because the Isles have trouble scoring goals as a team.

Rexy 07-28-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike (Post 53067941)

Name a better third line center? Staal will now be playing on the first line in Carolina.

committedindian86 07-28-2012 07:08 PM

I'm not sure if this guy is trolling... Bolland is the best #3C in the league. Maybe if we had better bottom 6 talent, he could be a #2C

MadhouseOnMadison 07-28-2012 08:05 PM

Bolland is one of those luxuries that are easy to overlook. I'd say he has more than panned out.

brtriad 07-28-2012 08:09 PM

Dave Bolland is the least of this team's worries.

madgoat33 07-28-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brtriad (Post 53071827)
Dave Bolland is the least of this team's worries.

his health is one of the biggest worries though ;)

Judrix 07-28-2012 08:13 PM

the guy is a scrub, can't even pass Kruger on the depth chart.

Dump him before he declines even more.

BBH 07-28-2012 09:51 PM

If Dave Bolland didn't pan out then what exactly is your definition of "panning out"? Bolland has turned out extremely well, the best 3C in the NHL that can score when you need him to.