HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Butterfly Help (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1238603)

PantherStriker 07-29-2012 11:02 AM

Butterfly Help

Hey everyone,

I play net in an intramural league, so the skill level isnt extraordinary to begin with. However, every time I go to the butterfly, I end up falling onto my pads, knees showing. It's like my pads arent facing properly. Anyone have any advice on how I can change this?

Sorry its kind of vague, I dont know the terminology to describe it.

Canadiens1958 07-29-2012 11:34 AM

Skating and Balance

Quote:

Originally Posted by PantherStriker (Post 53085603)
Hey everyone,

I play net in an intramural league, so the skill level isnt extraordinary to begin with. However, every time I go to the butterfly, I end up falling onto my pads, knees showing. It's like my pads arent facing properly. Anyone have any advice on how I can change this?

Sounds like you have skating and balance issues.

A goalie should be one of the better skaters on a team. If you are using the butterfly your skating has to be solid and your legs have to be in shape to support the up and down movement.

Have someone watch you when you play and use the butterfly. Your skates should not leave the ice as you go down. This allows you to change direction quickly and spring back-up. If you are plopping down - skates leave the ice, then you are not able to change direction quickly. Balance, same person should be able to notice if you are tilting to one side, too far forward or resting on your haunches. Fatigue will cause goalies to sit back on their haunches.

Once you have been observed you will have your answer.

PantherStriker 07-29-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 (Post 53086297)
Sounds like you have skating and balance issues.

A goalie should be one of the better skaters on a team. If you are using the butterfly your skating has to be solid and your legs have to be in shape to support the up and down movement.

Have someone watch you when you play and use the butterfly. Your skates should not leave the ice as you go down. This allows you to change direction quickly and spring back-up. If you are plopping down - skates leave the ice, then you are not able to change direction quickly. Balance, same person should be able to notice if you are tilting to one side, too far forward or resting on your haunches. Fatigue will cause goalies to sit back on their haunches.

Once you have been observed you will have your answer.

I think it would be balance. Thanks very much!

Gigantor The Goalie 07-29-2012 10:41 PM

Also what type of pads are you using? I know the ones I use will not allow me to go down with my knees exposed unless I do it on purpose. Older pads though you have to put in the effort to make your knees aren't exposed.

ganave 07-30-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PantherStriker (Post 53085603)
Hey everyone,

Are you pads facing the ice when you butterfly? I'm new to goalie, but I had a similar problem. I had my pads on too tight so it was hard to get them to face out on the ice. My thighboards were also running up beneath my pants, but I was able to fix that tightening up the loop on the thighboards to my pants.

pfloyd75 07-30-2012 12:27 PM

It sounds like your pads may be strapped too tight, not allowing them to rotate when dropping into the butterfly. The tighter your straps- especially the upper ones- the more they will conform to the direction that your leg is facing and the less they are allowed to "float". Pad strapping is based on the preferences of the goalie but as an example, I have my bottom boot strap sinched tight but all others very very loose.

Bridges31 07-30-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfloyd75 (Post 53115267)
It sounds like your pads may be strapped too tight, not allowing them to rotate when dropping into the butterfly. The tighter your straps- especially the upper ones- the more they will conform to the direction that your leg is facing and the less they are allowed to "float". Pad strapping is based on the preferences of the goalie but as an example, I have my bottom boot strap sinched tight but all others very very loose.

It takes a while to find the perfect fit as far as how tight or loose you want your pads.

When I found the best fit, I marked the holes on the straps with permanent marker.

OP Also make sure your legs are wide enough apart before going into the butterfly (feet in line with your shoulders).

17of26 07-30-2012 02:50 PM

Sounds like the pads are strapped too tightly in the knee/thigh area and not allowing them to rotate when you go down.

I find that it works best if I keep the ankle/calf straps tight and the knee/thigh area very loose.

HockeyStickHomicide 07-30-2012 04:46 PM

Mainly echo what most people have said already but:

1. Pads are too tight. Loosening the straps allows the pad to rotate properly. This also depends on the pad you wear. Hybrid pads like vaughn are usually worn tighter than a butterfly style pad like Reebok.

2. Toe ties are too tight. Should have at least an inch or so slack in your toe ties. Put knots in em and give your ankle some slack so when you go down in your butterfly your toes are not being pulled off to the side uncomfortably. It will help your pad rotate and your knees/ankles feel much better after the skate.

3. When you go into a butterfly your knees should going down and your ankles out. Make sure you are not dropping straight down onto your knees. You should be landing on the landing gear on the inside of the pad, with the inside of your knee, not the kneecap.

Hope those help, if needed throw some pictures up.

OneMoreAstronaut 07-30-2012 04:49 PM

Can you tell us what pads you are using? That might also aid in answering your question.

Subnordi 07-31-2012 02:47 PM

Like others have mentioned it's most likely your straps being too tight, I have my boot straps and the strap at the bottom of my bad fairly snug, then the rest are all pretty loose and may as well not be there, I find this really aids in the rotation of the pads.