HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Hurricanes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Proposal: Fourth Line Enforcer (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1239055)

ninetynine* 07-30-2012 11:05 AM

Fourth Line Enforcer

With Parros, the Bruins, and the Atlantic Division nearby, what do you think? This team is rather soft and in today's NHL a fight-first spare forward instantly makes this a much tougher team. Thornton, Rupp, Parros, Janssen, Barch, etc. won't be playing with reckless abandon against this team since they'll have one of their contemporaries to fight instead of bullying soft targets.

There are several men available for the job, all with NHL experience:

Eric Godard
Jay Rosehill
Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond
DJ King

Metro Misfits 07-30-2012 11:16 AM

Eric Godard would be my first pick of that group.

tarheelhockey 07-30-2012 11:18 AM

I just hope it's somebody who can play. The bottom 6 is bad enough without a 4-minute-a-night goon.

Blueline Bomber 07-30-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 53112877)
I just hope it's somebody who can play. The bottom 6 is bad enough without a 4-minute-a-night goon.

Exactly. If we're going to grab an enforcer, it better be someone who can has a clue what to do on skates. Though I still believe an enforcer is a waste of a roster spot. Maybe as a 13th forward, but not someone I'd give regular time to.

ninetynine* 07-30-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 53112877)

Godard in particular can take more ice-time than that without embarassing himself, and played 71 games for the Pens 3 years ago when they won the cup. He's even played 7 playoff games. He's also one of the NHL's best fighters of this century having KO'd Boogaard and Steve MacIntyre among others.

Chrispy 07-30-2012 11:55 AM

Why not give Blanchard a try?

Oenatzu 07-30-2012 12:30 PM

Jay Rosehill, Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond and DJ King don't belong anywhere near an NHL lineup. If we are going to pick up a tough guy for our fourth line I'd go after someone who can actually play some hockey.

geehaad 07-30-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber (Post 53113067)
If we're going to grab an enforcer, it better be someone who can has a clue what to do on skates. Though I still believe an enforcer is a waste of a roster spot. Maybe as a 13th forward, but not someone I'd give regular time to.

I was hoping something would soon come along that I could agree with you, and this fits the bill nicely.

I've been religiously watching the game for well over 10 years, and the more years that separate me from my initial assessments of hockey and now, the less sense an "enforcer" makes to me. I just don't see why an opposing team would care at all that my team has one, whether he is on the ice or not, nor how good he was at beating other player's brains in. There are just too many ways that players legitimately avoid such "justice" to justify the expenditure in terms of salary, playing time, and the roster spot.

Zombie Mike Murphy 07-30-2012 12:32 PM

Post instigator rule, I don't see much value in an enforcer.

Now a 4th line grinder with a pest-ie streak, that could be valuable. But in todays game it's much better to goad the bad guys into taking dumb penalties.

tarheelhockey 07-30-2012 12:36 PM

Yeah, I'd rather have a real pest than an enforcer TBH. someone who could provide a counterpoint to guys like Ott and Hartnell if they want to start something with our skill players.

Blueline Bomber 07-30-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geehaad (Post 53115375)
I was hoping something would soon come along that I could agree with you, and this fits the bill nicely.

I've been religiously watching the game for well over 10 years, and the more years that separate me from my initial assessments of hockey and now, the less sense an "enforcer" makes to me. I just don't see why an opposing team would care at all that my team has one, whether he is on the ice or not, nor how good he was at beating other player's brains in. There are just too many ways that players legitimately avoid such "justice" to justify the expenditure in terms of salary, playing time, and the roster spot.

Glad we could find some common ground. :nod:

My thinking is this: When a "dirty hit" is laid out, the kind of hits that an enforcer will apparently deter, it's either accidental or intentional.

If the hit was accidental, whether the enforcer was on the ice (or on the team) is irrelevant, since the hit was likely a clean hockey play turned badly. An example (in Canes history) would be Weight's hit on Sutter or Staal's hit on Markov. Having an enforcer wouldn't have prevented those from happening.

If the hit was intentional, whether the enforcer was on the ice (or on the team) is irrelevant, since those players that intentionally lay dirty hits will do so regardless of who's on the opposing team. The most recent example was Torres hit on Hossa. Having an enforcer wouldn't have prevented that hit from happening. It may have caused more repercussion for Torres (though he likely wouldn't have fought anyway), but the hit still would have happened.

Carolinas Identity 07-30-2012 02:04 PM

We should trade for Brad Marchand to be 3C.

Anton Dubinchuk 07-30-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen (Post 53118857)
We should trade for Brad Marchand to be 3C.

Getting "size" confused with "not size" and getting "toughness" confused with being a "snot-nosed brat"? Come on Trollinen, you're better than that... :sarcasm:

Carolinas Identity 07-30-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk (Post 53118931)
Getting "size" confused with "not size" and getting "toughness" confused with being a "snot-nosed brat"? Come on Trollinen, you're better than that... :sarcasm:

Ya I know :laugh:

Honestly, instead of just getting a John Scoot style enforcer, I think there are ways to get bigger bodies who can hit and occasionaly drop the gloves when needed, but are actually defensibly responsible players who aren't a liability when they aren't fighting.

Head Goose 07-30-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk (Post 53118931)

Trollinen wants him for his epic playoff beard-growing talents.

Carolinas Identity 07-30-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PublicEnemy (Post 53119227)
Trollinen wants him for his epic playoff beard-growing talents.

Just like Crsoby and Toews had that year they almost played eachother :yo:

urn 07-30-2012 02:23 PM

We should trade our next draft for Milan Lucic. Think about how sick that would be.

Mr America 07-30-2012 02:45 PM

I wouldn't mind JR trying to sign Byron Bitz, Guillame Desbiens, or maybe Jay Rosehill. Ideally I'd like to trade Nodl or Stewart for somebody.

Who cares if they can play since they want get much ice time?

Caniac1234 07-30-2012 02:49 PM

Trade for Biz nasty

Carolinas Identity 07-30-2012 02:51 PM

I'd rather get a guy like Douglas Murray, who can log top 4 D min and when someone oversteps their bounds with Skinner or such, can be taken out with a monster hit, rather than a 5 min major.

Xylo 07-30-2012 03:37 PM

Nic Blanchard

NotOpie 07-30-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xylo (Post 53122021)
Nic Blanchard

That's twice now and nobody responded. Blanchard is a good option...size, grit, can fight, and actually has some hockey skills...We have a number of folks who could serve this role without going out and getting goon-specific.

wallym 07-30-2012 04:19 PM

Bryan Allen!!!

JustJoe2k5 07-30-2012 04:26 PM

Nicolas Blanchard...for the hat trick. There were rumors he was in line for a call-up at the end of last season, might as well see what you have in him before you add a veteran.

imayagainknowanson 07-30-2012 04:31 PM

Winchester from San Jose is ideal