HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   All Time Draft (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   How did you discover the All-Time Drafts? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1239885)

VanIslander 07-31-2012 10:01 PM

How did you discover the All-Time Drafts?
 
Tell your story.

How did you get here?
And what stimulated your interest?

DaveG 07-31-2012 10:35 PM

other: grabbed a pizza with seventies when I was at the WJCs a couple years back.

Canadiens1958 07-31-2012 11:20 PM

Invites
 
Received a few invites but was skeptical even after some basic exploration.

Curiosity caused by continued cross references in the HOH forum brought me back.

Decided to give it a try as I have an interest in team building concepts throughout hockey history.

Interesting concept with some potential. Not sure if it is a repeat.

Mike Farkas 07-31-2012 11:27 PM

Lurked around for a while, saw a recruitment thread, thought I'd give it a try because I had some extra time...

BenchBrawl 07-31-2012 11:49 PM

don't remember

Leaf Lander 07-31-2012 11:50 PM

I invented it and it came from the hockey news top 100 players concept on the history of hockey board

Original gms were bm67 monkey_00 and Maxwell Edison plus a few more...

Dreakmur 07-31-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 (Post 53170429)
Received a few invites but was skeptical even after some basic exploration.

Curiosity caused by continued cross references in the HOH forum brought me back.

Decided to give it a try as I have an interest in team building concepts throughout hockey history.

Interesting concept with some potential. Not sure if it is a repeat.

Once I realized there are many rewarding aspects outside of winning, it became a lot more fun for me.

Personally, I enjoy picking a player that has been under-appreciated and doing a good sell job on him. It doesn't always work, but it's rewarding when that player makes a huge jump up the draft next year :)

Nalyd Psycho 08-01-2012 12:15 AM

I started posting regularly on the HoH board during ATD 6. Started following, started commenting. One of the GMs had to go one an extended leave, so I covered for him, making 2 picks. Then I ran the first ever ATD playoffs.

BillyShoe1721 08-01-2012 12:28 AM

I've always been interested in fantasy hockey and GM games/Mock Drafts, and got a bit bored with those and wanted a new kind of challenge.

Dwight 08-01-2012 12:37 AM

The first ever Leafs ATD was taking place, and I decided to join on a whim (don't ask me why I, a Habs fan, was even on the Leafs forum to begin with, I can't remember why). I did terrible and easily finished last in my conference.

But, I fell in love with the ATD at the same time, and haven't looked back since.

Wrigley 08-01-2012 01:04 AM

I heard there was this charming Cary Grant type guy that everyone liked and I had to meet him. Who was this Mr Congeniality? VI, of course. ;) Actually, I was reading the HoH in December 2007, found out about the ATD, have been reading the ATD ever since, Co-GMed a team several years ago, and had my own team this year.

TheDevilMadeMe 08-01-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 (Post 53171831)
I've always been interested in fantasy hockey and GM games/Mock Drafts, and got a bit bored with those and wanted a new kind of challenge.

Sounds like you found the board through the Fantasy Hockey and Video Games section. And I'm pretty sure raptor did too. Not sure who else.

So being in this section isn't all bad

jkrx 08-01-2012 07:19 AM

Dont remember if I found it through a recruitment thread or if someone invited me. I had a complicated beginning as I was first a socks co-GM and then Jareks but I think a team pulled out and I finally got be head manager of my own team.

VanIslander 08-01-2012 09:37 AM

:bow: I know.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Lander (Post 53171121)
I invented it and it came from the hockey news top 100 players concept on the history of hockey board

Original gms were bm67 monkey_00 and Maxwell Edison plus a few more...

Appreciated. I came along in ATD2.

Velociraptor 08-01-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe (Post 53172745)
Sounds like you found the board through the Fantasy Hockey and Video Games section. And I'm pretty sure raptor did too. Not sure who else.

So being in this section isn't all bad

That's correct. I run annual NHL Mock Entry Drafts under the Mock Draft forum and the ATD was in the same category, I lurked it a few times and came across it in 2010 when they were looking for very few teams, and I don't regret a second of it.

VanIslander 08-01-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velociraptor (Post 53176861)
That's correct. I run annual NHL Mock Entry Drafts under the Mock Draft forum and the ATD was in the same category, I lurked it a few times and came across it in 2010 when they were looking for very few teams, and I don't regret a second of it.

Dang, I thought you were a History Board recruit. You draft like one! :)

Velociraptor 08-01-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanIslander (Post 53176985)
Dang, I thought you were a History Board recruit. You draft like one! :)

:laugh:

Is that sarcasm because of the Giroux pick? :sarcasm:

jkrx 08-01-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velociraptor (Post 53176861)
That's correct. I run annual NHL Mock Entry Drafts under the Mock Draft forum and the ATD was in the same category, I lurked it a few times and came across it in 2010 when they were looking for very few teams, and I don't regret a second of it.

How does these mock drafts work? Do you draft prospects and before the real draft and then see who were most correct or are they just for fun (or both)?

Selfish Man 08-01-2012 11:25 AM

I've been a longtime lurker/reader of the ATD from when I first joined hfboards (yes, when it was still part of the HOH forum). Add in the fact that I'm a sports and history nut and the ATD has always held a fascination for me. However, I've only ever really followed the Penguins. So, besides being peripherally aware of some of the big names in the history of the game, I never had the confidence, until recently, to dive in and participate. Some of you are pretty intimidating.

vecens24 08-01-2012 11:38 AM

Pretty sure I just randomly stumbled upon it and dove right in.

tony d 08-01-2012 04:54 PM

Other: Had lurked here for a few months before deciding to join back in the summer of 2010. Enjoy it immensely and discussing hockey history with everyone here.

seventieslord 08-01-2012 05:26 PM

Lafleur's Fries and I hand-picked the guys who would form the inagural chat.mapleleafs.com ATD. Dreakmur and Dwight were among them. Pretty sure Dreakmur was my idea. Can't remember if Dwight was a walk-on or not. I'm trying to remember his original name... I know he was my 1st or 2nd round opponent, he had Parent or Tretiak, and I think Marcel Dionne. Crap, this is really bothering me, I know he was called something else before he was T-Kabs....

seventieslord 08-01-2012 05:27 PM

zaditton!

Right?

seventieslord 08-01-2012 05:28 PM

At the time (early 2008, early-MLD9), we actually wanted to keep our LC ATD on the downlow. I was new and didn't want to look like I was overstepping my bounds by taking their proven formula and franchising it somewhere else without "permission". oh, silly seventies.

TheDevilMadeMe 08-01-2012 11:41 PM

I think ignored 2-3 PM invitations from Seventieslord before finally joining for MLD11


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.