HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Do the Oilers make the playoffs in 2012-2013? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1240697)

ponokanocker 08-02-2012 12:22 PM

Do the Oilers make the playoffs in 2012-2013?

As I believe this is the roster we will start the season with, do people think we will improve enough to make the playoffs this year?

ponokanocker 08-02-2012 12:27 PM

Key Additions: Schultz, Yakupov

Key Subtractions: Barker. There are a few others, but this is the only key one.

5RingsAndABeer 08-02-2012 12:32 PM

I optimistically voted yes but I fear this thread might become a reference point for fans of other teams who want to troll us if we don't make the playoffs this season.

The rookies are important, but I think Krueger is going to be huge for us this season.

Blue And Orange 08-02-2012 12:34 PM

http://i.minus.com/ibgDTkTYFeXNWB.gif

ponokanocker 08-02-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer (Post 53219175)
I optimistically voted yes but I fear this thread might become a reference point for fans of other teams who want to troll us if we don't make the playoffs this season.

The rookies are important, but I think Krueger is going to be huge for us this season.

I'm optimistic, but not that optimistic. I see us as potentially a bubble team, but I would not be shocked if we were drafting 6-10 as well. A lot depends on the kids.

Seedling 08-02-2012 12:53 PM

Improvement, but no playoffs. We still lack depth on D to me and our vets suck. Goaltending could be an issue too. All this and the divisional rivalries look to be harder means no playoffs to me.

MoneyGuy 08-02-2012 03:09 PM

Of course not. There will be significant improvement and meaningful games late in the season, but very little chance we will be playoff bound. We'll be in the playoffs the following season.

MeestaDeteta 08-02-2012 03:12 PM

At this point, no. If we can fill a couple of holes before the season starts, I think our chances are pretty good.

Joseppi 08-02-2012 04:57 PM

Bubble, or near bubble team. It's easy to imagine a successful year, and not as easy to imagine a year as bad as the past few.

Soundwave 08-02-2012 05:48 PM

Talent wise it's there.

I'm just not sure if it's ready for prime time yet or needs a little bit more time in the oven.

I'd be surprised if they made it next year, but the year afterwards I'm expecting playoffs.

This coming season, I think the message just has to be "lets have fun, play entertaining hockey". You never know what happens when you play loose and free and actually have the raw talent to back that up.

The Nuge 08-02-2012 05:57 PM

I said we were a bubble team last year, but I didn't think Whitney would have so many problems. If a few people bounce back, yes. If not, I think we're a bubble team that ends up around 10th in the conference

gooilgo 08-02-2012 05:59 PM

Not if we stand pat with this roster.

Qrispy 08-02-2012 06:03 PM

I believe we can squeeze into 8th. I never thought the roster was the problem last year. It was more the coaching and lack of experience that held us back. I'd be disappointed if we weren't at least sniffing at a playoffs spot. I think this is the year we make the jump!

Asher 08-02-2012 06:08 PM

It's not impossible but it's certainly improbable. A lot of things would have to go their way. A lot...

nexttothemoon 08-02-2012 06:42 PM

101 pts and 5th in the West... 8th overall in the NHL. :handclap:

I've crunched the stats and that's the results they spit out and we all know stats never lie. :sarcasm:

darkwave09 08-02-2012 06:51 PM

No. we will see improvement, but I don't thunk we are even a bubble team this yea Next year hopefully bubble team, this year I predict 11-14 in the west. 75-85 pts

Tarus 08-02-2012 06:51 PM

An easy no vote for me. I'll believe they'll make the playoffs when they make the playoffs.

Tempered expectations help make a rebuild more tolerable. I'd rather be pleasantly suprised when the team makes the playoffs, than spend every offseason ranting about management and failure.

CupofOil 08-02-2012 07:41 PM

This team will be a lot better, i haven't really believed that for many years.
There is way too much talent on this team for it to not eventually break out BUT playoffs is too lofty of a goal unless a lot of things break just right due to the core being extremely young with not enough veteran support.
These things need to happen in order for the team to make the playoffs in order of importance.......

1) Whitney needs to play at near a 100% level meaning that he plays like a top pairing defenseman so that Smid and Petry don't have to take on that burden.
If he does, it will be like getting a top 4 defenseman for free because i personally expect very little from Whitney this season.

2) Dubnyk needs to prove that his hot streak near the end of the season wasn't a fluke.

3) Hemsky needs to stay healthy and have a bounceback year (i feel this is more likely than 1 and 2).

4) Smid needs to build on his level of play from last season. He is our only top 4 hope for a legit shutdown guy. The team won't make the playoffs if he regresses.

5) Petry needs to take a step forward. Now that Gilbert is traded, he will have to play like a top 4 defenseman, it is now expected of him.

6) Gagner absolutely has to take a step forward. RNH needs some top 6 support, he's not ready to take on the burden of playing the toughs effectively on a consistent basis. That's where a "veteran" presence like Gagner will be important.

7) I put this lower because it's ultimately up to the players but Krueger needs to implement a system that caters to the strengths of the team. The problem with this team under Renney is that there was no system in place and that it was many times chaos on ice. I would also like to see Krueger hold ALL players (that includes the captain) accountable for poor performances, NO exceptions and he needs to let Eager and Hordichuk loose when clowns like Sarich, Tootoo, Clutter**** etc. start taking runs at our young studs otherwise there's no point in having guys like Eager and Hordi on the roster.

Those are the 7 most important things that have to happen, that's A LOT of ifs. I expect the big 3 to play at a high level although i expect Eberle to take a minor step back and i expect Yakupov and Schultz to have some good and bad moments.
In other words, the playoffs are HIGHLY doubtful unless some veteran help is brought in between now and October or whenever the season begins.
I expect some real improvement in the standings, something like 84-88 pts with maybe a slight flirtation with a playoff spot into March, anything more would be a bonus.

Tad Mikowsky 08-02-2012 07:46 PM

While I am optimistic that the Oilers will improve this season, I still do not think we are playoff bound material just yet.

I just don't think we improved enough, especially in a tough Western conference. I mean, who in the West could the Oilers realistically jump over? Columbus, Calgary?

That said, I do expect them to finish at least higher than 13th. Low expectations, but hopefully it will be a fun season to watch.

Philly85 08-02-2012 08:08 PM

Goaltending is questionable. Defense is questionable. Can the young guys continue to elevate their game in important moments against any and all opponents. NW division is going to be tough. Can Horcoff and Smyth contribute meaningful minutes and check top players... There's just too many question marks. I say they finish 12th in the west. Doesn't mean there won't be some fun games though.

Game 8 08-02-2012 08:57 PM

No! Are they going to make it next season? They are going to kick a$$!!!!

notloilersfan 08-02-2012 10:42 PM

For sh**s and giggles I clicked yes, but I won't actually believe it until I see it.

It's so hard to predict, because at any point you can get that breakout season.
Pens went from drafting Staal to making playoffs, same as Caps after drafting Alzner in a lottery finish. Tampa flew from drafting Connolly to going 1 win away from a cup final (then crashed back down a bit).

In the case of the caps, they had questionable D and goaltending going in (picked up Huet at deadline who helped carry them to the playoffs). I believe that was the year green broke out (with the help of the offensive guns he played with).

Sit back and enjoy the ride. This season if anything will be better than last, and there were some fun games last year. The kids are a year older and we're adding Yaks and Schultz.

Everest 08-02-2012 11:01 PM

Horcoff, Hemsky, Whitney, Khabibulin, Dubnyk, Gagner, Belanger...the list goes on from there but they ALL gotta get their **** together, lay it on the line without the injury excuses/issues and WILL this roster into the playoffs.

We can talk til were blue in the face about whether or not its a playoff team "on paper"...but...at the end of the regular season the teams with the biggest will/desire/heart are gonna get in and teams with any less than that will be on the outside looking in.

Team to team talent comparisons in todays NHL is almost a wash once you get past the top 2 or 3 teams. The rest of it boils down to intangibles. And goaltending.

And make no mistake...those 2 things...in that order...will be what makes or breaks the Oilers.

I voted yes....they'll make the cut this time.

Every year a few weak rosters figure it out. Its our turn. I voted yes.

Lacaar 08-02-2012 11:03 PM

This team just hasn't proven it has the will and determination to rough out the low points of the season and rebound.

Perhaps they just need to mature but I think Gagner is right when he said that the veterans need to buy in.

If the team "buys in" they've got a good shot I think.

But history tells me they'll hit some rough injuries and never recover.

Mr Forever 08-03-2012 12:03 PM

The team generally gets off to a good start, rides the confidence until Christmas and then hits a hump. Either some injuries, a road trip or something that causes a losing streak and they can't ever seem to recover from it. They get so devastated that the season is over after a few weeks of adversity. I hope the team can ball up this season and pull through some adversity for once.