HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Why do some Flyer fans HATE Jody Shelley? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1240959)

ninetynine* 08-02-2012 11:20 PM

Why do some Flyer fans HATE Jody Shelley?

Good guy, makes 900k this season [not much anymore really], last year on his contract, will fight anyone, is huge and is tough as nails. Solid locker room presence as well. He's going into his 12th NHL season [13th if not for the lockout]. He's never been an issue except on message boards and twitter.

Brozgalov 08-02-2012 11:24 PM

Most people dislike him because his hockey skills aren't that great.

For me he is a guy that represents a dying breed in the NHL... it's sad, but his type of player isn't needed anymore and it shows when hes on the ice.

Having said that, everytime I see him interacting with fans or guys in the locker room etc, he is a class act. I love the guy to death as a human being and I think hes great to have in the locker room. He's one of the few players that will be benched for a week at a time and he will be just happy helping the team from the press box.

The people that HATE Shelley are the same people that HATE Michael Leighton. The only thing Leighton did was play above himself when he was called upon... no one ever said he was a #1 and he took us to the finals. He lets in a bad goal and now hes the worst goalie of all time... give me a break, it's our organizations fault that we even had to put him in that situation to begin with... we weren't paying him 6 million dollars...

JohnnyOnTheSpot 08-02-2012 11:25 PM

Because he stinks and can't even win a fight.

ninetynine* 08-02-2012 11:28 PM

Really?

BernieParent 08-02-2012 11:31 PM

• Cap hit over his 3 years has been, and is for this last season, $1.1 mil.
  • He is on the wrong side of 35 and his mediocre hockey skills at the peak of his career are in swift decline; generally too slow to even be a big hitter
  • He doesn't fight all that often anymore
  • Average time on ice in 2011-12: 5.39
  • A repeat-offender in Brendan Shanahan's eyes, sitting a 5-game (+ preseason games) suspension last season

sa cyred 08-02-2012 11:34 PM

He went 2-4 this year in fights, and honestly 99, your supporting a type of player that will most likely not even be in the game a few years from now. Theres a reason these types of players are slowly dieing off in favor of players that can fight and have hockey skill. Teams are starting to figure out that having a player that can play more than 3 mins a game is more beneficial to the team in the end.

Dont get me wrong, good guy, but he isnt needed on the team.

ninetynine* 08-02-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 53237681)
He went 2-4 this year in fights, and honestly 99, your supporting a type of player that will most likely not even be in the game a few years from now. Theres a reason these types of players are slowly dieing off in favor of players that can fight and have hockey skill. Teams are starting to figure out that having a player that can play more than 3 mins a game is more beneficial to the team in the end.

Even if his type of player is dying out, it hasn't yet, so is one more year of him is going to get your knickers in a knot?

sa cyred 08-02-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninetynine (Post 53237743)
Even if his type of player is dying out, it hasn't yet, so is one more year of him is going to get your knickers in a knot?

Honestly I have no problem with him being the 13 guy and never playing a single game. He can be on the roster, just dont play him. Everyone is happy.

Giroux 4 MVP 08-02-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninetynine (Post 53237533)
Really?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 53237681)

Exactly why players like Brayden schenn and the mike richards of the hockey world will eventually take over for the goons if you will, thats how I see it, players like Rinaldo will even have problems finding jobs in the NHL with how it will become

ninetynine* 08-02-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 53237815)
Honestly I have no problem with him being the 13 guy and never playing a single game. He can be on the roster, just dont play him. Everyone is happy.

He's more likely to be the 14th guy [when all are healthy] and getting 20-30 games.

ninetynine* 08-02-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP (Post 53237821)
Exactly why players like Brayden schenn and the mike richards of the hockey world will eventually take over for the goons if you will, thats how I see it, players like Rinaldo will even have problems finding jobs in the NHL with how it will become

Mike Richards is not a fringe player... He wouldn't be in competition with Shelley...ever.

JohnnyOnTheSpot 08-02-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninetynine (Post 53237533)
Really?

Oh wow, two out of thousands of shifts where he's been remotely productive lol. If you think he's anything more than a goon, a dying breed in itself, you're crazy.

turkinaa 08-02-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BernieParent (Post 53237591)
  • Cap hit over his 3 years has been, and is for this last season, $1.1 mil.
  • He is on the wrong side of 35 and his mediocre hockey skills at the peak of his career are in swift decline; generally too slow to even be a big hitter
  • He doesn't fight all that often anymore
  • Average time on ice in 2011-12: 5.39
  • A repeat-offender in Brendan Shanahan's eyes, sitting a 5-game (+ preseason games) suspension last season

This. Only benefit he gives us is veteran leadership and for that he is being paid way too much for not bringing anything else to the table.

Roo Mad Bro 08-02-2012 11:57 PM

Man, that release on his slapshot goal was incredibly slow haha.

Flyerfan4life 08-03-2012 12:06 AM

cuz hes EASILY replaced by Rinaldo or Sestito..

both are WAYYY better at fighting..

Shelley is only good for swallowing punchs to the face.. hes def. excellent at that.

sobrien 08-03-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninetynine (Post 53237881)
Mike Richards is not a fringe player... He wouldn't be in competition with Shelley...ever.

That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying that the players taking over lineups in the NHL can and will fight their own battles, rather than wasting a lineup spot on someone who plays 5 mins a night or under.

Giroux 4 MVP 08-03-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sobrien (Post 53238673)
That's not what he's saying at all. He's saying that the players taking over lineups in the NHL can and will fight their own battles, rather than wasting a lineup spot on someone who plays 5 mins a night or under.

Thank you

BrindamoursNose 08-03-2012 12:17 AM

He can't fight or play the game with skill. He's got character, but that's it. Dogs have character, too. They don't cost 1.1 mill against our cap though.

That's why I dislike him.

Prongo 08-03-2012 12:52 AM

Saw the thread, immediately knew he started it. :laugh:

Oh I dislike him because he can't play the game of hockey, you know, the thing he is paid(handsomely) for. He is ****ing irrelevant.

ninetynine* 08-03-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prongo (Post 53239859)
Saw the thread, immediately knew he started it. :laugh:

Oh I dislike him because he can't play the game of hockey, you know, the thing he is paid(handsomely) for. He is ****ing irrelevant.

Mike Rupp's jaw disagrees...

Prongo 08-03-2012 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninetynine (Post 53240035)
Mike Rupp's jaw disagrees...

Nobody wants to pay a player 1.1 million dollars to win three fights during his career in Philly. He plays 5 mins a night to do pretty much nothing. He is exactly what Rupp called him, Irrelevant.

BillDineen 08-03-2012 01:08 AM

This is old, but still accurate and funny:

ninetynine* 08-03-2012 01:23 AM

Shelley will play 1 more year, have some more entertaining fights, and retire, unless we re-sign him for league-minimum for a year.

ninetynine* 08-03-2012 01:24 AM

Before he retires Captain Claude Giroux will hand him the cup!

ninetynine* 08-03-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life (Post 53238665)
cuz hes EASILY replaced by Rinaldo or Sestito..

both are WAYYY better at fighting..

Shelley is only good for swallowing punchs to the face.. hes def. excellent at that.

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about, Rinaldo and Sestito fight much easier competition. Shelley would destroy Sestito.