HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   OT: 10,000 Pt XXXI: There is no Spoon (mod note re: election | Post #986) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1241021)

The Nemesis 08-03-2012 01:30 AM

10,000 Pt XXXI: There is no Spoon (mod note re: election | Post #986)
 
continued from http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1209643

TrappedInFullerton 08-03-2012 01:39 AM

Pssh, that sporting event is only at XXX. This OT is beyond that.

Chaotic8 08-03-2012 01:41 AM

Tea and crumpets all around!

Mafoofoo 08-03-2012 01:42 AM

Yeaaaah got the work study position I applied for! Now to look for apartments in LA

Graveland 08-03-2012 01:42 AM

Indiana Jones 4 is still the worst.

Chaotic8 08-03-2012 01:51 AM

I find the excessive amounts of screaming in Transformers: Dark Moon to be unexpectedly enticing.

WTFetus 08-03-2012 01:53 AM

Speaking of Transformers, Transformers: The Ride is awesome. Makes going to Universal Studios somewhat worth it (instead of spending another day at Disneyland).

KpopandHockey 08-03-2012 02:03 AM

Hopefully the US can break the tie in gold medals and keep the overall medal count above China. Gf's mom is extremely patriotic and calls her constantly to talk about how good China is. Would be nice to see them lose. >_>

MadmanSJ 08-03-2012 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KpopandHockey (Post 53242089)
Hopefully the US can break the tie in gold medals and keep the overall medal count above China. Gf's mom is extremely patriotic and calls her constantly to talk about how good China is. Would be nice to see them lose. >_>

China has a sixth of the world's population. They should be running away with the medal count. Tell her that even a blind Chinese squirrel will find a nut now and then. Or maybe a water chestnut.

Inub0i 08-03-2012 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KpopandHockey (Post 53242089)
Hopefully the US can break the tie in gold medals and keep the overall medal count above China. Gf's mom is extremely patriotic and calls her constantly to talk about how good China is. Would be nice to see them lose. >_>

My parents are the same... ugh...
Well mom at least

KpopandHockey 08-03-2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inub0i (Post 53242247)
My parents are the same... ugh...
Well mom at least

:laugh: Ya her mom calls her constantly about it. I didn't really care about Olympics previously... Now I'm just silently rooting against China. Even my gf is so her mom can stop calling about it.

WTFetus 08-03-2012 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadmanSJ (Post 53242205)
China has a sixth of the world's population. They should be running away with the medal count.

I don't get this argument. There can only be a certain number of athletes per country. You can't exactly have 20 Chinese Gymnasts vs 2 Americans.

Unless you mean they have a higher chance of creating great athletes. Then again, India is the 2nd most populated country in the world, and they have how many medals?

jwhitesj 08-03-2012 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WTFetus (Post 53242431)
I don't get this argument. There can only be a certain number of athletes per country. You can't exactly have 20 Chinese Gymnasts vs 2 Americans.

Unless you mean they have a higher chance of creating great athletes. Then again, India is the 2nd most populated country in the world, and they have how many medals?

He does mean the second option, but China is a very rich country compared to India and spends a lot of money on their athletic programs. In order to have top athletes you need to have top training facilities. The reason China and the United States have the highest number of medals is because of the population and the money spent on training athletes in development programs. Great Brittain has the same ability to train athletes as both the US and China but they haver only a few medals. That is because they don't have the population.

Graveland 08-03-2012 03:03 AM

How about the argument that no other country indoctrinates their population into slavery to train or lies about the ages of their athletes. Whens the last time that happened? The USSR? :laugh:

Mafoofoo 08-03-2012 03:38 AM

Let the Chinese patriots have their fun for now. Everyone knows when it's all said and done America will win the Olympics.

Graveland 08-03-2012 04:17 AM

Go Finland!

sjshark91 08-03-2012 08:49 AM


CrazedZooChimp 08-03-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwhitesj (Post 53242563)
He does mean the second option, but China is a very rich country compared to India and spends a lot of money on their athletic programs. In order to have top athletes you need to have top training facilities. The reason China and the United States have the highest number of medals is because of the population and the money spent on training athletes in development programs. Great Brittain has the same ability to train athletes as both the US and China but they haver only a few medals. That is because they don't have the population.

Although the US has by far the most money of any country, so can spend a lot more looking for and training athletes than even China. Not sure we do, but if we wanted to we could. Which is why we're the greatest :nod:

MadmanSJ 08-03-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp (Post 53248175)
Although the US has by far the most money of any country, so can spend a lot more looking for and training athletes than even China. Not sure we do, but if we wanted to we could. Which is why we're the greatest :nod:

Ehh, that's not really true.

I am actually surprised on a regular basis that U.S. athletes are able to compete and win on the world stage because of the living conditions enjoyed here vs. a developing nation. It seems like we have a bunch of partying college kids that go out and win golds, where in some areas it seems like the sport is the only thing that matters. I do know our athletes work hard and train relentlessly to be as good as they are, there are just more opportunities to slack off here and there and devote time elsewhere.

I also boggle at the fact that we call these people world champions, when only a very slim fraction of the world's population has attempted these sports. Can you imagine what the landscape would look like if every person was evaluated for which sports they were best at? How can you be the world champion of Curling when %.0001 of the population in the world has actually attempted it? Or the luge? You are only better than the small sample of those who have tried it.

What would all the world records look like if we indeed found the fastest people in the world.. it could be some random farmer in the middle of nowhere growing corn or rice to support his family.

KpopandHockey 08-03-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadmanSJ (Post 53254437)
What would all the world records look like if we indeed found the fastest people in the world.. it could be some random farmer in the middle of nowhere growing corn or rice to support his family.

No. A random farmer doesn't have the means to compete physically with someone who spends all their time running while the farmer has to split a lot more time with other activities which the athlete doesn't have to worry about.

They are world champions because they are the best in the world. You're essentially saying that no one can be world champion of curling because not many people play it. At what point does a sport merit the ability of having the title 'world champion?' You are romanticizing the idea that there are people out there who have so much natural ability that they can compete with those who train for a specific event daily for hours.

Don't you think that a farmer who is that fast is going to try to qualify for these events so that they can support their family better?

jwhitesj 08-03-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadmanSJ (Post 53254437)
Ehh, that's not really true.

I am actually surprised on a regular basis that U.S. athletes are able to compete and win on the world stage because of the living conditions enjoyed here vs. a developing nation. It seems like we have a bunch of partying college kids that go out and win golds, where in some areas it seems like the sport is the only thing that matters. I do know our athletes work hard and train relentlessly to be as good as they are, there are just more opportunities to slack off here and there and devote time elsewhere.

I also boggle at the fact that we call these people world champions, when only a very slim fraction of the world's population has attempted these sports. Can you imagine what the landscape would look like if every person was evaluated for which sports they were best at? How can you be the world champion of Curling when %.0001 of the population in the world has actually attempted it? Or the luge? You are only better than the small sample of those who have tried it.

What would all the world records look like if we indeed found the fastest people in the world.. it could be some random farmer in the middle of nowhere growing corn or rice to support his family.

Most olympc athetes take training very seriously, even the US ones. They dedicate their lives to perfecting their bodies to perform at the highest level. They have the best nutrition coaches, physial trainers, and sports scientist helping them to hone their skills. The life of an olympic level athlete is very different from a college kid that parties

MadmanSJ 08-03-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KpopandHockey (Post 53254609)
No. A random farmer doesn't have the means to compete physically with someone who spends all their time running while the farmer has to split a lot more time with other activities which the athlete doesn't have to worry about.

They are world champions because they are the best in the world. You're essentially saying that no one can be world champion of curling because not many people play it. At what point does a sport merit the ability of having the title 'world champion?' You are romanticizing the idea that there are people out there who have so much natural ability that they can compete with those who train for a specific event daily for hours.

Don't you think that a farmer who is that fast is going to try to qualify for these events so that they can support their family better?

I am not saying that you take some guy that has never trained and he will beat someone who has trained their whole life. What I am saying is that you have people all over the world that have never realized their potential or had the opportunity to do so.

Edit: For example, India was mentioned earlier. Don't you think India would have many world champions in any given sport if more people had the opportunity to do so?

MadmanSJ 08-03-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwhitesj (Post 53256529)
Most olympc athetes take training very seriously, even the US ones. They dedicate their lives to perfecting their bodies to perform at the highest level. They have the best nutrition coaches, physial trainers, and sports scientist helping them to hone their skills. The life of an olympic level athlete is very different from a college kid that parties

What I was saying is that when your back is against the wall and you only have one shot at a better life in some circumstances, you will take your training much more seriously.

There have been many studies performed on black vs. white athletes and that there is no evidence that black athletes are genetically predisposed to be better at sports. The difference for many minorities or those in underprivileged communities is that they have fewer opportunities elsewhere so it is kind of a do or die scenario.

CrazedZooChimp 08-03-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwhitesj (Post 53256529)
Most olympc athetes take training very seriously, even the US ones. They dedicate their lives to perfecting their bodies to perform at the highest level. They have the best nutrition coaches, physial trainers, and sports scientist helping them to hone their skills. The life of an olympic level athlete is very different from a college kid that parties

I'm also pretty sure most championship level NCAA Division 1 athletes don't party that hard (at least, in season). I knew a lot when I was in school, during season and during off-season training camp their hours were pretty well regulated. It's probably why one of the guys I knew is in the Olympics now :laugh:

oyster 08-03-2012 04:13 PM

State sponsored athletes in a command economy from a country with a lot to prove and a lot less internal regulation (any?) of performance enhancing drugs.

Cuba does extremely well for its size and economy level because promising kids are identified and selected at a very young age and brought to special sports schools where they train for years.

Modern Russia doesn't compare well in the olympics to the powerhouse days of the Soviet Union.

It's easier to produce the best athletes when you have the full resources of the government finding, developing, and employing elite talent in sport.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.