HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   News Article: Crosby's trainer: "He's been symptom-free" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1241341)

Mo Wanchuk 08-03-2012 08:51 PM

Crosby's trainer: "He's been symptom-free"

Awesome listen with Andy O'Brien, Sid's longtime trainer. It sounds like he is ready to dominate again and completely back to pre-concussion status. Can't wait to see him take his spot on the top of the league again!:yo:

Quote:

Everything O’Brien has seen from Sid has indicated to him that the Penguins Captain is setting himself up to have another big season and reach another level that we’ve yet to see from him.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/...-symptom-free/

Til the End of Time 08-03-2012 08:53 PM

thank god.

weve spent this offseason talking about tangradi, doan, parise, fleury, coaching etc.

but none of that will matter at all if sid isnt healthy.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 08-03-2012 09:19 PM

Beautiful.

td_ice 08-03-2012 09:27 PM

I turned on the FAN, with interview progress, and heard something about someone that could spot an animal a mile away, and determine where they would appear next. haha. I thought it was a hunting show. Then they mentioned that this "someone" had the highest score on a visual acuity test that they had ever seen. Was about to turn the channel, but just then they mentioned Sid. And that is the person they were talking about. Wish I would've heard interview from start.

mpp9 08-03-2012 09:28 PM

We're gonna witness something special if Sid and Geno are healthy all season. Both at the top of their games and hopefully with legit linemates.

ColePens 08-03-2012 09:28 PM

Nothing unexpected but assuring that it's noted.

End of Line 08-03-2012 09:36 PM

Good to hear.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...GIFS/ZQF2K.gif

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 08-03-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td_ice (Post 53265145)
I turned on the FAN, with interview progress, and heard something about someone that could spot an animal a mile away, and determine where they would appear next. haha. I thought it was a hunting show. Then they mentioned that this "someone" had the highest score on a visual acuity test that they had ever seen. Was about to turn the channel, but just then they mentioned Sid. And that is the person they were talking about. Wish I would've heard interview from start.

The whole interview's available on a clip in the OP's link, homeskillet.

td_ice 08-03-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper (Post 53265349)
The whole interview's available on a clip in the OP's link, homeskillet.

Nice, thanks.

TravisUlrich 08-03-2012 09:52 PM

Great news. It felt like every summer Sid would work on one big thing.
2009 it was his shot, came back and scored 51 goals.
Then he wanted to work on his quickness in 2010 and it showed as he scored 66 points in 41 games until he had his concussion.
Last summer he was basically in healing mode and was just trying to get rid of the symptoms.

This summer he can actually get back to training and improving. In his comeback last season Sid put up amazing points but you could tell he didn't quite have his shot timing back and he got too tired after the first half of the game. If he can just play ~80 games everything will fall into place.

Mo Wanchuk 08-03-2012 10:08 PM

Anyone want to wager a guess at what kind of numbers a healthy Sid will put up this year barring any injury, no lockout AND having Kunitz and Duper as his lineys?

My guess 53g 72a..

Von Malkin* 08-03-2012 10:36 PM

Well that's great to hear, finally some positive news this offseason

Jacob 08-03-2012 10:52 PM

Cool.

dogthateats 08-03-2012 10:54 PM

Crosby > Adams

PensFan6687 08-03-2012 10:59 PM

I'll believe it when I see it. Like when Mario always would say, "I am in the best shape of my life!"

Not to be a debbie downer, but I am a strong believer that actions speak louder than words. The actions will be what he does this season. I hope for the best, and no I won't say I expect the w....

I do hope for the best. After all, this is my team and he's our best player. No slight to Malkin, who is amazing. Boy is this team blessed.

LetangInTheSO 08-03-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PensFan6687 (Post 53266915)
Like when Mario always would say, "I am in the best shape of my life!"

Agreed. I don't want to be a Debbie downer either, but I am definitely holding my breath on Sid. The one recurring sound bite about his concussion that I have trouble believing is, "he is no more or less prone to sustaining another concussion than a person who has never had a serious concussion before." Until Sid's concussion, the common refrain I'd heard about concussions was the exact opposite.

Moreover, even Sid's doctors have conceded that it is extremely bad for any person to sustain "back-to-back" concussions. They've said that if a player tries to play through a concussion and then is concussed again, it can be a serious problem. This shocked me given that this seems to be EXACTLY what happened to Sid (i.e. he sustained a concussion - even if it was a mild one - during the Winter Classic and then the Hedman hit really did him in). I couldn't believe that nobody else brought this up. It seems evident that the Hedman hit only took Sid out of the lineup for the rest of the season because he sustained it immediately after the Winter Classic hit.

With ALL of that said, I obviously hope that Sid is miraculously unaffected on a long-term basis by all of this and that he re-assumes his position atop the scoring race playing many-a-healthy full season going forward :)

MetalheadPenguinsFan 08-03-2012 11:28 PM

Hopefully this is true.

ThosePuckingPenguins 08-03-2012 11:47 PM

As soon as they figured out it was something screwed up with his vertebrae or whatever, he's been completely fine since. They figured that out and he came back quickly. I think that's what's held him back. Not that he was having these symptoms because of the concussion but because of the vertebrae crap that was going on.

theicebox 08-03-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dogthateats (Post 53266821)
Crosby > Adams

DB says 'get out'.

NutCracker 08-04-2012 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk (Post 53265991)
Anyone want to wager a guess at what kind of numbers a healthy Sid will put up this year barring any injury, no lockout AND having Kunitz and Duper as his lineys?

My guess 53g 72a..

If he plays all 82 games then yeah, something like that is certainly possible.

My guess is 80GP, 48g-77a

Saku11 08-04-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk (Post 53265991)

My guess 53g 72a..

Over 120 points in 2012 would be amazing...Malkin playing with Neal could have maybe scored 120 if he played the full season last year..Sid plays with no hands Dupuis and Kunitz.

Ogrezilla 08-04-2012 06:55 AM

to get 120 we will need the powerplay going on all cylinders

Saku11 08-04-2012 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogrezilla (Post 53270851)
to get 120 we will need the powerplay going on all cylinders

Yeah. They should give Sid and Geno each own PP unit like they briefly did last season. I dont know why, but the PP seems to be worse when Sid plays on it :help:

WhatsaMaatta 08-04-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO (Post 53267141)
Agreed. I don't want to be a Debbie downer either, but I am definitely holding my breath on Sid. The one recurring sound bite about his concussion that I have trouble believing is, "he is no more or less prone to sustaining another concussion than a person who has never had a serious concussion before." Until Sid's concussion, the common refrain I'd heard about concussions was the exact opposite.

Moreover, even Sid's doctors have conceded that it is extremely bad for any person to sustain "back-to-back" concussions. They've said that if a player tries to play through a concussion and then is concussed again, it can be a serious problem. This shocked me given that this seems to be EXACTLY what happened to Sid (i.e. he sustained a concussion - even if it was a mild one - during the Winter Classic and then the Hedman hit really did him in). I couldn't believe that nobody else brought this up. It seems evident that the Hedman hit only took Sid out of the lineup for the rest of the season because he sustained it immediately after the Winter Classic hit.

With ALL of that said, I obviously hope that Sid is miraculously unaffected on a long-term basis by all of this and that he re-assumes his position atop the scoring race playing many-a-healthy full season going forward :)

They weren't necessarily back to back concussions. The Hedman hit caused an injury with Crosby's vertebrae, but he was misdiagnosed, which is why it took so long for Sid to recover.

JTG 08-04-2012 07:20 AM

If we could get a guy who could really work our powerplay from the left wall, and a guy who has a shot over there...I think Sid and Geno both could be in the 100 point range.