HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Arizona Coyotes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Oel (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1241741)

Devilspuppet666 08-04-2012 10:36 PM

Oel

Just curious on what people that have seen him more than 5 times a year think of him... i a huge fan of what i saw when i did see him, so what do you guys expect him to be:

1) next year
2) 5 years down the road
3) at the peek of his career

Redcoyote 08-04-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 (Post 53288053)
Just curious on what people that have seen him more than 5 times a year think of him... i a huge fan of what i saw when i did see him, so what do you guys expect him to be:

1) next year
2) 5 years down the road

1. Best Phoenix defenseman on a team with Yandle, Michalek and Klesla
2. Top Ten NHL Defenseman
3. Norris Trophy finalist

rt 08-05-2012 12:21 AM

1. Most effective player on the team
2. Arguably one of the most effective blueliners in the game
3. One of the most effective blueliners in the game

2yotesfans88 08-05-2012 03:01 AM

Quote:

1) next year
2) 5 years down the road

as a huge OEL fan im partial. i had high expectations for him this last season and he blew those out of the water. You have to respect the maturity of his game. last season he had to get used to the speed of the nhl game the smaller ice surface. most impressive isnt his 13 goals...its his confidence moving the puck under heavy pressure. the kid has hands, he has a fairly hard shot and hes strong in his own zone. not surprising he lead the team in ice time during the playoffs. but he fits in the tippet system perfectly because he plays smart. how many times did we see jovo get burned jumping into a play when he didnt have a person to cover? you rarely see that from 20 OEL. and i think that wins over tippet. he doesnt take stupid chances.

1---next season. team MVP but still underrated by most of the NHL.
2---5 years from today he will be 26yo. and getting PAID. sure next season he will sign a nice contract but by the time hes 26...could be a multi year allstar. break several team records...ie most goals in a season by a phx d man.
3--hopefully still in phoenix

going back to his draft Victor hedman was picked 2nd overall. he has yet to score more than 5 goals in a season. i think 23 points. and OEL in his first full season has 13 goals 32 pts. the only media person who really cheered phoenix's pick of OEL was Craig Button on tsn. Victor has great skills but i think during the draft year he was more lauded because of his size. at 6'6 you look at him and think...Pronger.

Sinurgy 08-05-2012 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2yotesfans88 (Post 53291423)
the only media person who really cheered phoenix's pick of OEL was Craig Button on tsn.

Actually if I remember right Pierre McGuire made mention that OEL could be the best defenseman in the draft and McKenzie called him the best 2 way D man in the draft.

AZviaNJ 08-05-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

1) next year
2) 5 years down the road

1). Best player on the team and an all-star
2). Top 5 D-man in the league
3). Best D-man in the league

kihekah19 08-05-2012 01:40 PM

One two three hee

This is what mine eyes see

Four five six seven

One hell of a defensemen

Skip the rope

Jump the tree

Win the game

Look at Ollie!

AZcoyotes33 08-05-2012 06:54 PM

1) Best defenseman on the Yotes. In Norris discussion (not finalist)
2) Will have at least one Norris trophy.
3) A few Norris trophies and talked about as a future Hall of Famer.

Some might think this prediction is a tall order, but anyone who has seen OEL play more than just a handful of games knows the kind of potential this kid has. He is gifted.

rt 08-05-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZcoyotes33 (Post 53305625)
1) Best defenseman on the Yotes. In Norris discussion (not finalist)
2) Will have at least one Norris trophy.
3) A few Norris trophies and talked about as a future Hall of Famer.

Some might think this prediction is a tall order, but anyone who has seen OEL play more than just a handful of games knows the kind of potential this kid has. He is gifted.

I've seen nearly all of his NHL games and one amateur tournament, and I still say those predictions are crazy.

IPreferPi 08-05-2012 11:51 PM

1. Continued development in both ends. OEL teams with Z. on the first pairing and hits 40 points bare minimum. Certainly capable of 50+ though.
2. Top 10 d-man + Norris finalist at least once (wouldn't be surprised if actually won the damn thing). Hopefully still in Phoenix with a large and long contract.
3. Top 5 d-man + winner of multiple Norris trophies. Facial hair finally looks good on him.

Mosby 08-06-2012 12:05 AM

Where would you guys place OEL to Yandle? Who's having the better year next season (statistically)? Or has OEL already surpassed Yandle?

rt 08-06-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Mosby (Post 53311811)
Where would you guys place OEL to Yandle? Who's having the better year next season (statistically)? Or has OEL already surpassed Yandle?

I expect Yandle to bounce back from what I'd consider an "off" year last season. That said, I expect OEL to improve, as well. I'm guessing it's neck and neck with Yandle having the more dramatic, dynamic, flashy offensive game and OEL being the all around more solid, effective D.

DesertDawg 08-06-2012 12:27 AM

I see Yandle having more points overall, but I'm also guessing that Oliver will net ~ 20 goals!
The homer in me says Yandle will have a career season with 60+ points!
but it all depends what the roster looks like, they can't do it alone.

YotesFan47 08-06-2012 05:04 PM

1) Next year I think he will kind of maintain his current play. Wont regress but wont wont really look like he is taking steps forward either. Still easily a top 3 defender on the Yotes.

2) The next 5 years is where he will really grow and mature as an NHL player, I see him averaging around 40-50 points a game and shining as a 2-way defender.

3) Well, its his peak and I wont say he is going to look like Lindstrom but I could certainly see him being recognized as a step down version. I hope he even surpasses Lindy in his ability on and off the ice, character, and leadership but I wont be disappointed if he doesnt. Assuming he is still a Coyote then its going to be a very exciting time to watch him play, a time where I could see multiple Norris Trophy finalist appearances and maybe a few where he actually wins it.

Overall this kids going to be a stud, if not sooner I think in 5 years he will consistently be a top 15 blue-liner in the league.

Sinurgy 08-06-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

My two cents:
They are solid defenseman on both sides of the puck with Yandle being more effective offensively and OEL being more effective defensively. Yandle plays with passion and uses his speed and vision to make plays while OEL is the "ice in his veins" type of cerebral player that uses stick work and superior positioning to make plays.

Rabbit 08-06-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YotesFan47 (Post 53331203)
1) Next year I think he will kind of maintain his current play. Wont regress but wont wont really look like he is taking steps forward either. Still easily a top 3 defender on the Yotes.

2) The next 5 years is where he will really grow and mature as an NHL player, I see him averaging around 40-50 points a game and shining as a 2-way defender.

3) Well, its his peak and I wont say he is going to look like Lindstrom but I could certainly see him being recognized as a step down version. I hope he even surpasses Lindy in his ability on and off the ice, character, and leadership but I wont be disappointed if he doesnt. Assuming he is still a Coyote then its going to be a very exciting time to watch him play, a time where I could see multiple Norris Trophy finalist appearances and maybe a few where he actually wins it.

Overall this kids going to be a stud, if not sooner I think in 5 years he will consistently be a top 15 blue-liner in the league.

Mother of God..

PPD7952 08-07-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 53310375)
I've seen nearly all of his NHL games and one amateur tournament, and I still say those predictions are crazy.

a little lofty maybe, but his play is a lot more impressive in person. uh, humph.... if more posters on here actually went to games.

rt 08-07-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PPD7952 (Post 53342807)
a little lofty maybe, but his play is a lot more impressive in person. uh, humph.... if more posters on here actually went to games.

Where are your seats?

PPD7952 08-07-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt (Post 53343053)
Where are your seats?

lower level...center ice

rt 08-07-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PPD7952 (Post 53343129)
lower level...center ice

Pretty high up or pretty low down?

Dirty Old Man 08-07-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kihekah19 (Post 53298429)
One two three hee
This is what mine eyes see...

Is that the peek of your career?

Gwyddbwyll 08-07-2012 04:30 PM

Oel is officially the coolest nickname ever. That is all.

vippe 01-24-2013 10:50 AM

Just watched the game vs the Jackets. I've always been high on him and expect him to be a top 5 D sooner rather than later. And this game made me believe it's very soon.

The limit is the sky for the kid and I can certainly see a team throwing butloads of money at him if he's not extended by the time he's an RFA. Would you take the 4 1sts (Anything lower than that and he has to be signed no matter) or for how much would he be matched ?

zz 01-24-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Statistically? It really depends what you're looking at. Yandle might get more opportunities on the PP, which may lead to more points on the stats sheet. But Ekman Larsson is already a better all-around defenseman. Last game he was on the ice for 25 minutes; Yandle 19. When the game's on the line, with 2 minutes left, OEL is the guy you want. He's calm and makes very few mistakes.

Yandle is more of a gambler, similar to Jovanovski but without the physical edge. He'll have his share of brain farts and turnovers but he's got a nose for the puck in the offensive zone. He'll jump in often and make something happen (well, when he's at the top of his game).

Ekman Larsson is more of a Lidstrom-type player. Discreet, smart, calm with the puck, but doesn't necessarily go for the risky play that'll compromise his positioning. For instance, Yandle always has to be paired with someone who can cover his ass (like a Morris, Michalek or Klesla). No need for that with OEL.

Both are very good, but difficult to compare.

EDIT: oh yeah, and Ekman Larsson can actually throw a hit and fend for himself when things get rough. Yandle? Not so much.

cobra427 01-24-2013 12:32 PM

Yandle might get more points then OEL, but he takes way more chances jumping into the play, had more turnovers, has to have DMO cover his mistakes, etc.... After last nights game, I am hoping OEL jumps into the play more, as I think he is a pure scoring player. I say that because, on both goals, he had a good look and placed both shots perfectly. Other Coyotes I would say in the same category are Vrbata, Bodker, Sully...If they turn OEL loose a little, or as he gains more confidence, who knows how many points he could have. I also hope Yandle can turn the puck over less and be a little smarter on when to jump in the play too.

It should be fun to watch. I also enjoy this board and all the insights and perspectives, you can't get anywhere else, thanks guys for that :)