HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Prospect Info: Top 20 Flyers Prospects, #7 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1242239)

BillyShoe1721 08-06-2012 10:39 AM

Top 20 Flyers Prospects, #7

1. C Scott Laughton (72%)
2. C Nick Cousins (69.79%)
3. D Brandon Manning (54.84%)
4. G Niko Hovinen (67.74%)
5. LW Marcel Noebels (30.43%)
6. D Shayne Gostisbehere (38.98%)

BillyShoe1721 08-06-2012 10:48 AM

I've been voting Lauridsen the past 3 rounds, but now I think it's time we give Akeson his due. Among rookies in the AHL, he was tied for 6th in points. He led the team in points by 9 over 2nd place Hamel, and had 14 more points than our next real "prospect", 3rd place Holmstrom. The organization might not think that highly of him, but if he can take the next step and play with some talent around him in the AHL, he could have a future as an offensive 3rd line winger or maybe even a 2nd line winger.

BillDineen 08-06-2012 10:50 AM

Now it gets tougher. Valeri Vasiliev might be a decent prospect, but should the chance that he actually comes over factor in?

bp spec 08-06-2012 12:01 PM

Stolarz

CS 08-06-2012 12:20 PM

Wonder where all the love for Akeson went...

He's still super talented and was awesome in last year's camp. He was easily the Phantoms' best player last season. His defensive issues can be covered on the wing.

GoneFullHextall 08-06-2012 12:44 PM

Akeson was so good he didnt even make the black aces.
i think tight now hes a tweener. can do well in the AHL, but may not be good enough for the NHL. See Jason Krog and Darren Haydar. Might throw Justin Acevedo in there as well.

CS 08-06-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren (Post 53320403)
i think tight now hes a tweener. can do well in the AHL, but may not be good enough for the NHL. See Jason Krog and Darren Haydar. Might throw Justin Acevedo in there as well.

We'll see.

The black aces issue was bizarre and, if I recall correctly, came out of left field. Nobody expected it.

He still has the best offensive potential among prospects. His playmaking is at another level.

Had he not been held off the black aces, he would be among the top prospects on this list right now, so I take that kind of thing with a grain of salt. Just because he may not be ready sooner than others does not mean his potential is lesser than theirs.

Krishna 08-06-2012 12:55 PM

Disappointed to not see mustached Giroux up there..

So I'll vote Akeson

GoneFullHextall 08-06-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Shafer (Post 53320615)
We'll see.

The black aces issue was bizarre and, if I recall correctly, came out of left field. Nobody expected it.

He still has the best offensive potential among prospects. His playmaking is at another level.

Had he not been held off the black aces, he would be among the top prospects on this list right now, so I take that kind of thing with a grain of salt. Just because he may not be ready sooner than others does not mean his potential is lesser than theirs.

The Flyers dont exactly have a strong group of defensive forwards right now who might be able to make up for his defenisve short comings. He has a ways to go on the defensive side of the puck. hopefully a year under Murray will get him going there.

turkinaa 08-06-2012 01:22 PM

I was going to vote for Stolarz, but Akeson is probably one of the best forwards left on the voting block which I think pushes him up the list.

Stizzle 08-06-2012 01:29 PM

Stolarz

CS 08-06-2012 01:44 PM

Those voting for Stolarz realize he's a REALLY long-term investment, right?

He's got a lot of things to work on. Right now his biggest asset is size. (Much like Leighton).

I like the kid. He's from Six Flags for god's sake. Hard not to root for him. Still, be careful who you're hyping.

BillDineen 08-06-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Shafer (Post 53322229)

He's got a lot of things to work on. Right now his biggest asset is size. (Much like Leighton).

I like the kid. He's from Six Flags for god's sake. Hard not to root for him. Still, be careful who you're hyping.

I am probably in the minority, but I think Stolarz upside is Heeter. Two seasons to get used to college and two good ones and then who knows?

djlethal08 08-06-2012 02:44 PM

Voted Stolarz, but honestly would've voted Placek if he was available. I just think if he can stay healthy he'll be really good.

GoneFullHextall 08-06-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

kind of like comparing Jason Akeson's skillset to Claude Giroux.

CS 08-06-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren (Post 53329909)
kind of like comparing Jason Akeson's skillset to Claude Giroux.

His vision is similar to Versteeg's actually which is similar to Giroux's.

Unfortunately for Akeson, he doesn't have Versteeg's defensive prowess or toughness.

Haute Couturier 08-06-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren (Post 53320403)

I think this is true, but really who isn't a tweener left on the poll?

I have always felt he is overrated, but at least he produced at the AHL level which honestly surprised me. I don't really get the love for players like Noebels and Lauridsen, but then I guess we're just arguing over who will be the best career AHLer.

Haute Couturier 08-06-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Picking the 7th best prospect in a bare farm system isn't hype.

dats81 08-07-2012 02:33 AM

Jason Akeson reminds me of former Flyer Jon Sim.
Pretty good hands, can be a streaky scorer at times, but just way too many flaws in his game to become a regular in the NHL. And last but not least lacking size.

I picked Lauridsen over Akeson just because chances are better to ever get the call with this team and its defense and injury history as a defenseman. So far Lauridsen doesn't look like an NHL defenseman.

jd2210 08-07-2012 08:11 AM

The Dane gets my vote again. He has had steady progression since being drafted and has been mentioned by the Flyers as a guy likely to be called up.

I'd say add Larsson. He seems like a tough customer, and Lappy wouldn't be going over to work with him if they weren't planning on developing him.

As for Akeson I agree with GFH.

FlyersFan61290 08-07-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren (Post 53320819)
The Flyers dont exactly have a strong group of defensive forwards right now who might be able to make up for his defenisve short comings. He has a ways to go on the defensive side of the puck. hopefully a year under Murray will get him going there.

Couts and read could cover up his def short comings on the 3rd line. I actually think that would make a great line. A little small but then again most people have wellwood penciled in that spot and he's just as small.

GoneFullHextall 08-07-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 (Post 53347307)
Couts and read could cover up his def short comings on the 3rd line. I actually think that would make a great line. A little small but then again most people have wellwood penciled in that spot and he's just as small.

I am not sure Wellwood is ready for every day top 9 duties but he is miles better then Akeson defensively.

FlyersFan61290 08-07-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren (Post 53352707)
I am not sure Wellwood is ready for every day top 9 duties but he is miles better then Akeson defensively.

yes he is but my point is read and Couts are probably 2 of the top 4 best defensive forwards the flyers currently have so they could cover for Akeson's def short comings.

Norm MacDonald 08-07-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

#7 in a really weak prospect pool isn't really hyping, and anyone voted in this spot has a very low chance of actually being an NHL regular. At least Stolarz has upside.

FLYguy3911 08-07-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Isn't this a prospect ranking? Not an "NHL ready" ranking correct? If its a prospect ranking, I don't know how Gostisbehere is ahead of him other than the fact we get excited about defense prospects for obvious reasons. He was taken ahead of Gostisbehere for a reason. Now after this season, its a different story.