HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   This is what happens when you're stupid enough to listen to hype. (Parise-Pouliot) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=124225)

outKast* 01-17-2005 01:57 AM

This is what happens when you're stupid enough to listen to hype. (Parise-Pouliot)

Here's something interesting. Everyone gets pissed at the Oilers for not drafting Parise and such. Here's a similar incident. The Ottawa Sens drafted Marian Hossa over Zultek and apparently got screwed. Here's the article:
http://slam.canoe.ca/HockeyNHLDraft9...stevenson.html

Sens-ible pick? Zultek

By CHRIS STEVENSON -- Ottawa Sun

Marian Hossa.
Never met the guy; never seen him play.
He was the Senators' first pick, 12th overall in the NHL draft yesterday. Nothing against Mr. Hossa, but hearing his name when it came the Senators' turn to pick was a big disappointment.
To put it bluntly, the Senators blew it yesterday.
The name the Senators should have announced was that of Ottawa 67's winger Matt Zultek.
The Senators need size and scoring up front, two commodities Zultek, who's 6-foot-4 and 218 lbs. (and still growing), has in spades. Maybe he doesn't play as tough as his size might indicate, but he can handle the pushing and shoving.
He's also skilled as witnessed by his 27 goals as a rookie with the 67's last season and his win in the agility portion of the skills competition at the Canadian Hockey League's all-star game.
Since he's coached by Brian Kilrea, you know Zultek is going to come away from his junior career with a good knowledge of how to play a two-way game and what it takes to be a good national leaguer.
Hossa? He apparently has a great offensive flair. But the knock on the smallish (6-foot, 185-lb.) Slovak is he is a completely one-dimensional player, who, one scout told The Hockey News, threw snow on numerous occasions to avoid getting hit.
The Senators blew a chance to pick up a good kid playing right in their own backyard. Zultek already has built-in fans right here in Ottawa and for a team struggling to sell tickets, why not take advantage of that?
That should not be the main reason for taking Zultek, of course. You must take the player you think is going to be the best pro, regardless of where he's from.
That's why the Senators' bypassing of Zultek hurts. The Hockey News and a number of teams rated Zultek ahead of Hossa.
Kilrea has had a little success. One of his little rules to live by at the OHL draft was whenever he was faced with a decision between two evenly matched players, and one of them was from Ottawa or The Valley, he always took the Ottawa kid.
He felt the player would always be motivated, wanting to impress friends and family at the games.
Zultek has impressed some people and made some friends here in Ottawa. Too bad none of them are with the Senators.

outKast* 01-17-2005 02:00 AM

best article EVER!!!

hahaha he's never seen Hossa and argues that all the top newspapers have Zultek rated higher than Hossa. omg

RiversQ 01-17-2005 02:02 AM

:lol Well, anybody that wants to go out on a limb like that on a prospect is going to look stupid more often than not. Unless of course you're just pooh-poohing every single prospect, then you'll do just fine. :)

outKast* 01-17-2005 02:05 AM

omg. this just shows how over-rated size really is when it comes to scouting. The Oiler management better be going after skill rather than size. I hated the Paukovich pick this year. hope they shut me up with that **** stain

Hockey_Nut99 01-17-2005 02:50 AM

Everyone knows the draft is mostly a crapshoot anyways.

Bryanbryoil 01-17-2005 02:51 AM

Agreed, I hated the Paukovich pick. Luckilly he's putting up decent numbers as a Frosh, but Prendergast saying that they envision him as a 3rd line type guy IMO sucks considering that he was drafted in the 2nd round.

Larry Fisher 01-17-2005 03:00 AM

I wonder where Chris Stevenson is working these days???

Opinion columns are fun to write, but sometimes a jab comes back to be a knockout punch...

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 01-17-2005 03:11 AM

All that article shows is that if you don't know how to identify prospects, don't profess to know how to identify prospects. There are people that are talented at it and people who aren't.

And for the record, I'm not pissed they didn't draft Parise, I'm pissed they didn't draft Getzlaf.

Cerebral 01-17-2005 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil
Agreed, I hated the Paukovich pick. Luckilly he's putting up decent numbers as a Frosh, but Prendergast saying that they envision him as a 3rd line type guy IMO sucks considering that he was drafted in the 2nd round.

I guess I can understand expecting top 2 line duty out of a first rounder but I'd be pretty happy if a late second round player turned into a solid third liner. I don't think this is a case of lowered expectations due to a poor draft history either.

I picked a random draft year - 1998 - and did a quick scan through the second round. I count two true second line players, Jonathan Cheechoo and Mike Ribeiro. I'm guessing that the teams that drafted Randy Copley, Ramzi Abid, Blair Betts, Andrew Peeters, Norm Milley etc. wish these guys developed into third line talents.

outKast* 01-17-2005 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
And for the record, I'm not pissed they didn't draft Parise, I'm pissed they didn't draft Getzlaf.

agreed!!!

Asiaoil 01-17-2005 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outKast
agreed!!!

I'd add Stewart as well since we were supposedly looking for centers with size in this draft

nsoilfan 01-17-2005 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asiaoil
I'd add Stewart as well since we were supposedly looking for centers with size in this draft

i liked stewart at this pick also but there were some others as well: Kesler, Perry, Patrice Bergeron, Patrick O'Sullivan, Brent Burns, Ryan Getzlaf.

USC Trojans 01-17-2005 06:38 PM

yeah, but for every Hossa/Zultek incident there's a Steve Kelly/Shane Doan one.
Its just a shame that we always get the short end of the stick.

Hemsky4PM 01-17-2005 07:01 PM

Isn't it a little early to be comparing Pouliot or Parise to Hossa/Zultek?

sharkscribe 01-17-2005 07:04 PM

I think so, it's also a little early to be comparing Dubnyk (failing to make Team Canada) to Schwarz (tournament MVP).

RiversQ 01-17-2005 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garner
I think so, it's also a little early to be comparing Dubnyk (failing to make WJC Champions Team Canada) to Schwarz (tournament MVP and WHL bust ).

But yeah, it's too early.

nsoilfan 01-17-2005 07:10 PM

i dont mind the Parise-Pouliot trade remember we also got J.F. Jacques.
Pouliot is #6 in Q scoring with 62pts and Jacques is not far behind him with 47pts.
i think we have a good #2 center on our hands with pouliot.

my only problems is i believe that The BPA was Parise and he will end up being the best NHLer. but the oilers scouts wanted Pouliot and to get another asset and get the man they wanted i think they had done a good job.

i also would have taken Patrick O'Sullivan over Colin McDonald but what do i know!!!!

outKast* 01-17-2005 07:12 PM

Quote:

I think so, it's also a little early to be comparing Dubnyk (failing to make Team Canada) to Schwarz (tournament MVP).

I feel much better that the Oilers picked Schremp and NOT Wheeler. Isn't it a little early to compare the 5th over all 6.5C Wheeler to the 25th overall 8.5B in Schremp. I dunno, Maybe i'm crazy. I mean, Schremp IS #1 in OHL goalscoring and top 5 in point scoring?? While Wheeler is doing what?

sharkscribe 01-17-2005 07:14 PM

Quote:

I feel much better that the Oilers picked Schremp and NOT Wheeler. Isn't it a little early to compare the 5th over all 6.5C Wheeler to the 25th overall 8.5B in Schremp. I dunno, Maybe i'm crazy. I mean, Schremp IS #1 in OHL goalscoring and top 5 in point scoring?? While Wheeler is doing what?

What??

RiversQ 01-17-2005 07:16 PM

Quote:

What??

Yeah, I don't know what that point was. The Oilers never had a shot at Wheeler.

outKast* 01-17-2005 07:27 PM

Here's me with the "captain obvious" costume:

Schremp >>> Wheeler. The Oiler may not have had a shot at Wheeler but the Yotes had a shot at Schremp and Dubnyk and screwed up.

Before i listen to a Yotes fan criticise the Oilers for picking Dubs over Schwarz, i just wanted the guy to look in the mirror and see his organization's faults.

sharkscribe 01-17-2005 07:34 PM

Thank you very much for your concern but I'm an Oilers fan who happens to cover the Phoenix Coyotes prospects.

I have to agree with your point. It is early, but I believe taking Wheeler with the #5 pick will go down as one of the worst draft selections of all time.

mudcrutch79 01-17-2005 07:39 PM

For the love of God, don't bring the hfboards ranking criteria into this. The fact that Schremp is so much higher than Wheeler is meaningless-they're being evaluated by different people. Not to mention that the Coyotes writers probably have never seen the guy play. I'd have Schremp at about an 8D myself, but some might accuse me of bias.

In any event, the fact that Phoenix made a bizarre pick is of little relevance when discussing Oilers draft picks. I'm sure it's not news to anyone here that Gretz and Barnett don't have much of a clue.

outKast* 01-17-2005 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudcrutch79
For the love of God, don't bring the hfboards ranking criteria into this. The fact that Schremp is so much higher than Wheeler is meaningless-they're being evaluated by different people. Not to mention that the Coyotes writers probably have never seen the guy play. I'd have Schremp at about an 8D myself, but some might accuse me of bias.

In any event, the fact that Phoenix made a bizarre pick is of little relevance when discussing Oilers draft picks. I'm sure it's not news to anyone here that Gretz and Barnett don't have much of a clue.

I could care less about the hf rating. But they actually do reflect reality as of right now.

Schremp is #1 in the OHL in goalscoring and 5th in point scoring.

Wheeler is struggling to score 0.8PPG and isn't even in the NCAA.

You may not be a Schremp brown-noser but i could care less. If you don't like Schremp but that's up to you. At this point Liam Reddox is having a better friggin junior career than Blake Wheeler.

mudcrutch79 01-17-2005 07:47 PM

Quote:

I could care less about the hf rating. But they actually do reflect reality as of right now.

Schremp is #1 in the OHL in goalscoring and 5th in point scoring.

Wheeler is struggling to score 0.8PPG and isn't even in the NCAA.

You may not be a Schremp brown-noser but i could care less. If you don't like Schremp but that's up to you. At this point Liam Reddox is having a better friggin junior career than Blake Wheeler.

I don't know that I'd say that, as far as Reddox goes. You can't forget that Wheeler is in his first year out of high school, the USHL is a decent league-the CHL perceives it as a threat in terms of pulling talent away, and he's much bigger than Reddox; for whatever reason, it always seems like the little guys are scorers at a younger age. The thing with Wheeler, while you don't want it to happen, he's got the size that he'll likely be a sure fire NHLer. I don't think you can say that for Schremp.